Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Not gonna lie, the lack of commentary on the last season kinda sucked the wind out of my sails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Alexei Navalny quoted "the great philosopher Rick Sanchez" as he faced the Kremlin and walked backward into gulag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdoG9tUR6w

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kesper North posted:

Alexei Navalny quoted "the great philosopher Rick Sanchez" as he faced the Kremlin and walked backward into gulag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdoG9tUR6w
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1350858414210088960

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

Not gonna lie, the lack of commentary on the last season kinda sucked the wind out of my sails

Do you mean in this thread or like DVD commentary?

I recently rewatched most of season 4 to celebrate the Emmy. Skipped the train episode because I didn't really like i at all, but I might circle back.

I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the dragon episode on rewatch. It's a beautiful weird mashup of genre with modern social norms. I want to say allegory but it and I think it was too on point for that word to apply.

Going into the Heist knowing the twist helped make it more bearable to rewatch as well.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Harold Fjord posted:

Do you mean in this thread or like DVD commentary?

I recently rewatched most of season 4 to celebrate the Emmy. Skipped the train episode because I didn't really like i at all, but I might circle back.

I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the dragon episode on rewatch. It's a beautiful weird mashup of genre with modern social norms. I want to say allegory but it and I think it was too on point for that word to apply.

Going into the Heist knowing the twist helped make it more bearable to rewatch as well.

The commentary.

The last season had none, I would totally have returned them if we hadn't tossed the case

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To some degree I have to imagine that after 20 hours of developer commentary, Justin and Dan and the rest maybe don’t have anything really to add? At some point you have to realize they are just voice actors doing their job, not everything is gonna have depth or a funny story, and that’s more likely as more of the show becomes automated or shopped out to different studios separate from the core team.

If that’s why your buying the blue rays that does suck, I agree

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 24, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

To some degree I have to imagine that after 20 hours of developer commentary, Justin and Dan and the rest maybe don’t have anything really to add? At some point you have to realize they are just voice actors doing their job, not everything is gonna have depth or a funny story, and that’s more likely as more of the show becomes automated or shopped out to different studios separate from the core team.

If that’s why your buying the blue rays that does suck, I agree

You think there are no stories to tell about the development of season 4?

That's an... interesting take.

For a Harmon project. Lol

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

yeah, justin and dan are definitely a lot more than "just voice actors doing their job."

definitely a weird take

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He was watching Rick and Morty when the Novichok kicked in on the plane in August, specifically Pickle Rick.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm admittedly unfamiliar with previous commentary tracks but I'd imagine they went beyond stuff like "here's our day to day writing process, here's how things get drawn and designed". If they are storytellers and the stories they are telling have meaning to them they should have interesting things to say about where they got inspiration, other directions/possibilities they considered, why they ultimately made the decisions that they did, etc.

My guess would be a time constraints thing way before "they just ran out of stuff to talk about regarding production of their philosophical sci-fi series"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Solar Opposites season 2 is out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Binged it over the course of 2 days. I saw Hulu already gave them a 12 episode order for season 3 so I hope they just keep throwing money at Roiland until he gets bored.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

"Don't mansplain the predalien to me" may be one of my favorite lines in the whole show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's still pretty funny, but I don't think any of the sci-fi things are as creative as the first season. There are a lot of jokes about them just having a ray gun for everything.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

PostNouveau posted:

It's still pretty funny, but I don't think any of the sci-fi things are as creative as the first season. There are a lot of jokes about them just having a ray gun for everything.

For some reason I always crack up when they call their own technology “sci-fi alien poo poo”.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
whichever goon works on Rick and Morty tell Dan Harmon that if I wanted to watch him suck his own dick I'd subscribe to his onlyfans

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is that in reference to?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'd assume everything after Community season 3 but this seems too raw to not be from a recent incident

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Dan Harmon was trying to suck his own dick.

Season 2 was a lot of fun. I'm a bit bummed they got rid of the relationship based on getting hornt over being mean to kids.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dan Harmon doesn't work on Solar Opposites.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also I watched like 3 episodes and then I realized Terry is played by Thomas Middleditch, who is currently in the middle of being cancelled for getting grabby at a sex club. Not everyone will care or mind but I sure wish I’d known.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Wow, I didn't realize that the first season of Rick and Morty is now 7 years old.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Season 5 due on june 20th.

Also trailer https://youtu.be/F6Zy_mLgSNQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pretty quick turnaround. Just a little over a year.

I wonder if that 7-year contract sparked something in Dan Harmon. One of the writers said on twitter a couple months ago that they were writing Season 7, which seems insane for a Harmon show where scripts usually get delivered at the very last possible second. I someone gave me a 7-season contract, I'd be very tempted to go "OK let's bust rear end for 4 years and then take a 5-year vacation"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 30, 2021

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wasn't it a 70 episode contract?

He spoke about it a bit on Harmontown, it seems like securing his legacy and artistic freedom and guaranteeing his R&M colleagues were all financially secure for the next decade really put Dan in a better place, he also spoke recently about how he understands now that he was very toxic to work with and that he tried to maintain a more professional work environment where people don't need to walk around on egg shells around the moody creative genius and his insecurities.

I think Dan is a very honest person and I take his statement to demonstrate some real growth, I'm sure this is very nerdy but I am happy for him.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That's pretty dang cool, he makes great poo poo when he's on the ball, he's just also, y'know, a huge destructive rear end in a top hat.

So if he can manage the right amount of self awareness to rein in the assholishness, but not so much that he mopes, well, more power to him

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I'm fine with fat man Harmon being a huge rear end in a top hat as long as the show keeps being funny

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I'm not.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Is it me or does Rick’s voice sound off in the trailer? Possibly because I’ve not watched S4 in so long?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember his voice being a bit lower than that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Justin speaks in 2 very distinct registers depending on whether Rick is speaking to one person normally or if he is addressing the room/4th wall breaking with the audience

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

boy, I am just a sucker for a good white stripes banger

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

I remember his voice being a bit lower than that.

No burping either, maybe it’s to show he’s improving?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah, this isn't a democracy it's a Rickpublic!

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

smh rickpublic is just another word for representative democricksy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

god i hope the Voltron gag is like at least a half-episode long thing. that's gonna be so fun

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Manwithastick posted:

Is it me or does Rick’s voice sound off in the trailer? Possibly because I’ve not watched S4 in so long?

I think so too, but I can't really pinpoint what seems different about it. Maybe it's the difference between the recording studio they were using last year and whatever different setup they had to use during COVID?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I think so too, but I can't really pinpoint what seems different about it. Maybe it's the difference between the recording studio they were using last year and whatever different setup they had to use during COVID?

I thought it sounded kind of sped up. Figured it was my earbuds.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Late Fees posted:

smh rickpublic is just another word for representative democricksy

Rickresentive Rickrockricksy is the title of my Rick and Morty-themed concept album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I thought it sounded kind of sped up.

The whole clips seemed slightly sped up to me.

Probably some exec decided it made it "more dynamic" or some bullshit.