Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kibayasu posted:

Someone just said that if Zaeed is one of the two remaining then you just can’t kill him on the mission. Not going to check that myself though!
You can do it post-game. So suicide mission w/disloyal Zaeed, 1 loyal person. Even disloyal Zaeed can HTL by himself due to the math. Bring the loyal person with you so they survive. After that then do his loyalty mission and kill him at the end. The save you import will only have 1 crewmate alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
The suicide mission in ME2 was kind of the high point for all Bioware RPGs, and kind of cursed them from there, since they complained a lot about how hard it was to code and never wanted to bite off something like that again. It really is amazing looking back at the wild variety of outcomes that came out from that event (and a lot of other events and choices in ME2. What a great game).

My one complaint about the suicide mission: it was easy to get beloved characters like Mordin or Tali killed, but it was way too hard to 'accidentally' kill Miranda. You really had to metagame and plan a lot to do that. Wish I could have just sent her into the vents.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blastedhellscape posted:

The suicide mission in ME2 was kind of the high point for all Bioware RPGs, and kind of cursed them from there, since they complained a lot about how hard it was to code and never wanted to bite off something like that again. It really is amazing looking back at the wild variety of outcomes that came out from that event (and a lot of other events and choices in ME2. What a great game).

My one complaint about the suicide mission: it was easy to get beloved characters like Mordin or Tali killed, but it was way too hard to 'accidentally' kill Miranda. You really had to metagame and plan a lot to do that. Wish I could have just sent her into the vents.

i feel like mass effect 2 was kinda the high point for modern bioware period. i like 3 alot but this thread has talked about its numerious issues. DA 2 was a mess. DA: I is solid/good but it also is kinda of a mess mechanically and quest and etc. ME:A is a mess at best and Anthem is just shittier destiny. id love for new dragon age and new mass effect to be great but thats a coin toss. i just want a jade empire remake.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The collector ship mission loving slaps. Genuine alien atmosphere, perfect music, challenging, :ghost:

It's great

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Simone Magus posted:

The collector ship mission loving slaps. Genuine alien atmosphere, perfect music, challenging, :ghost:

It's great

i also just like the collectors design wise. i like that at the end of the days, they are all mostly mindless drones and back up proxies for the reapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJIQfmWx3dI

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
The problem with ME3, as I see it, is that although it's amazingly fun as a sci-fi cover-shooter and looks really good, it cuts back drastically on your roleplaying options and story-branching choices. The game gets a lot of flak for the ending, but I'm fine with a fun game that drops the ball at the end (like...I'm still a big fan of Neverwinter Nights 2, for instance).

The thing that really bugged me was that, after having more choices in the first two ME games, ME3 was constantly deciding how Commander Shepard felt and thought about things, and not letting me decide as a player. RPGs shouldn't do that. In ideal conditions they should give the player choices that change the direction of the game, and if that's not feasible they should give the illusion of choice, where outcomes play out the same but you get to choose to act sad or happy or ditzy or stoic or questioning angry as those outcomes are playing out.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

pentyne posted:

It was weird they let you pick Ashley/Kaiden, Council saved/sacrificed in the ME2 intro but not saving one of your party members. It wasn't even a tough choice to pull off in context anyways.

You are only given one choice in the ME2 intro(unless you have the Genesis DLC) and that's who is the human councillor. That's because the last Mass Effect 1 save is from before the conversation to choose the human councillor. Big oops from Bioware.

SubponticatePoster posted:

You can do it post-game. So suicide mission w/disloyal Zaeed, 1 loyal person. Even disloyal Zaeed can HTL by himself due to the math. Bring the loyal person with you so they survive. After that then do his loyalty mission and kill him at the end. The save you import will only have 1 crewmate alive.

You can only kill Zaeed in his mission post game. But if you only have two active party members it won't let you kill Zaeed. They don't let you have only one squadmate. Same thing happens in 1 if you don't recruit Garrus and haven't recruited Liara when you do Virmire you can't kill Wrex since Ashley and Kaidan can't be in your party that would have left just Tali in your party for that mission. The whole Wrex confrontation just sort of awkwardly ends without any resolution.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 24, 2021

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Paddock Wiks is a cool understudy. I got him in my only ME3 playthrough because I imported a save where Mordin was the only casualty of the suicide mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr9k2ywHWL4

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Wiks is probably the best understudy, and the only one I think you can still get the 'golden' ending with. As you can have Eve survive with a viable cure.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Padok Wiks is written by John Dombrau

Jondom Bau is written by Patrick Weekes

Just a fun little Mass Effect fact!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

No, at least two squadmates have to survive the suicide mission in order for Shepard to survive.

*thinks carefully*

Okay do this with a Femshep and have your survivors be Romanced_Jacob & Zaeed. That way you can get dumped in the 3rd part for a hotter (?) woman and Zaeed can turn up briefly to say hello but nothing more. I'd call that a fairly bleak finale.

Edt - or get Zaeed killed postgame in his loyalty mission so the one survivor walks away from you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can’t do it, you won’t get the option to leave Zaeed to die if it would bring your total squad mates below two.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I got it. Leave Thane, Morinth and unloyal Zaeed alive. Here is one path uses the Suicide Mission calculator.

Kill Zaeed on his mission. Then Morinth automatically turns into a Banshee and just don't visit the hospital in 3 and you won't even see Thane, and it pisses of the Virmire survivor for good measure and your ship doesn't need a doctor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Can’t do it, you won’t get the option to leave Zaeed to die if it would bring your total squad mates below two.

Romance a disloyal Jacob, make sure Jack surives the suicide mission too, kill Zaeed in his post-game loyalty mission, then skip Grissom Academy.

Jacob dumps you and then then dies, and then you kill Phantomized Jack at Cerberus HQ on your way to Kai Leng.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Liara, looking at the memorial on the Normandy: Jesus Christ, Shepard.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thinking on it more the bleakest outcome likely requires keeping more alive so they can die with maximum impact in 3.

Save Wrex on Vermire then sabotage the genophage.
Kill Morden to sabotage the genophage.

Get Tali exiled in 2 and then side with the Geth in 3.

Leave Kirrahe to die on Vermire, and let Thane die in 2 so the Salarian counselor does.

Let Samara survive the suicide mission, let her kill herself, then shoot the ardat yakshi anyway.

Kill the Vermire survivor on the citadel.

Skip Grissom so Jack gets abducted.

I can't decide if it's worse to have Miranda die on the suicide run or get merced by Kai Weeb on Sanctuary.

Save the Rachni queen in 1 then murder her after the reapers enslave her.

Have Liara and Vega did during the run to the citadel. Choose destroy to kill EDI. This also destroyed the Get after you sacrificed the Quarians to save them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Make sure to have the bare minimum war score in 3 so when you choose destroy it kills most of humanity.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You can double kill Samara by starting her loyalty quest, stopping before the club part, killing her in Suicide Mission and then the game will let you talk to the club bouncer and do the mission and then you can pick Morinth over her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Make sure to have the bare minimum war score in 3 so when you choose destroy it kills most of humanity.

That’s the only way you can get Liara and Vega killed anyway is having a super low EMS score.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Outside of 3's ending, the whole series has had a suprising amount of reactivity. Wildly divergent endings based on player choices felt like the idealised goal a decade ago, whereas I feel like most choice based games nowerdays focus on the roleplaying aspects of decisions, along with how they effect the journey over having a broad range of outcomes. It makes me wonder if 3's ending would be better recieved had it been released today, seeing as so much of the criticism was focused on the A B C nature of the endings.

Although even with the change in expectations I suppose that the writing itself would still be a drag.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

kilus aof posted:

You are only given one choice in the ME2 intro(unless you have the Genesis DLC) and that's who is the human councillor. That's because the last Mass Effect 1 save is from before the conversation to choose the human councillor. Big oops from Bioware.

You can only kill Zaeed in his mission post game. But if you only have two active party members it won't let you kill Zaeed. They don't let you have only one squadmate. Same thing happens in 1 if you don't recruit Garrus and haven't recruited Liara when you do Virmire you can't kill Wrex since Ashley and Kaidan can't be in your party that would have left just Tali in your party for that mission. The whole Wrex confrontation just sort of awkwardly ends without any resolution.

Can you skip recruiting wrex?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah. In ME1 you technically don't need to recruit both Garrus and Wrex, you can skip each one's normal recruitment stage. They come to join you at the end of the Citadel intro bit but you can just turn them down. With Wrex, I imagine this means that he just doesn't show up in ME2 or ME3 and you get Wreav instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

VostokProgram posted:

Yes, without the prestige of being besties with shepherd and killing Saren he can't compete against Wreav so Wreav leads tuchanka and you never see Wrex.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Okay I'm going nuts with all these permutations that I've never seen

I didn't even know Jack could turn into a Phantom

Goddamn is it May yet :(

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

turns out you don't have to do tedious Fallout ending slides to have reactivity

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Soylent Pudding posted:

I can't decide if it's worse to have Miranda die on the suicide run or get merced by Kai Weeb on Sanctuary.

Miranda can get murked by her dad too depending on how that mission shakes out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This poo poo is why 3's endings never bothered me that much. Yeah the red/blue/green poo poo was bad/lazy writing etc. etc. But all the little callbacks throughout 3 to poo poo you did or didn't do made the whole game feel like it was the ending to me, most everything except the reapers felt like it got tied up and paid off before priority: earth. And I enjoyed the ride for what it was.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

exquisite tea posted:

Miranda can get murked by her dad too depending on how that mission shakes out.

Didn't know that was an option but that works nicely for grimdark run.

Also at the Ardet Yakshi monetary there should be a renegade interrupt to shoot Falere yourself to save Samara.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One thing Mass Effect always did well, when it was good, was recognizing that the little details matter. Even if missions did not have drastically different outcomes, the little callbacks you'd get through companion dialogue across all three games made it feel like the game was at least acknowledging your decisions. Even at its most railroaded Mass Effect pretty much waxed CP2077 in quest reactivity and branching outcomes, sorry to say.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Priority earth always felt like an afterthought. Each of the major arcs already tied in so many player choices and reshaped the world there didn't even need to be an ending choice once you activated the crucible.

To the extent there is a choice it should have been resolved entirely with Anderson and TIM. Either side with Anderson, kill TIM, and let Anderson destroy the reapers, or side with TIM, kill Anderson, and let TIM to try and control the reapers. Whether either can survive doing so or whether the choice is available can depend on EMS.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Whorelord posted:

Yeah. In ME1 you technically don't need to recruit both Garrus and Wrex, you can skip each one's normal recruitment stage. They come to join you at the end of the Citadel intro bit but you can just turn them down. With Wrex, I imagine this means that he just doesn't show up in ME2 or ME3 and you get Wreav instead.

Garrus has a slight line change in his ME2 recruitment if you don't recruit him and Wrex does get replaced by Wreav if you don't recruit him.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Priority Earth shoulda had a lot of reactivity based on Your Choices

like cmon you're telling me I'm not seeing a horde of Rachni boil out of the ground to drag a Reaper underneath? No Geth Juggernauts hot-dropping in with Quarian bombardment if you saved them both? No charge of Krogan with my buddy Wrex?

did have that weird turret section right before your emotional final conversation with Liara though lol

honestly they kinda screwed themselves by making the Suicide Mission so good. I went in expecting Priority Earth to be a culmination and while it had its moments it was not that

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Pattonesque posted:

Priority Earth shoulda had a lot of reactivity based on Your Choices

like cmon you're telling me I'm not seeing a horde of Rachni boil out of the ground to drag a Reaper underneath? No Geth Juggernauts hot-dropping in with Quarian bombardment if you saved them both? No charge of Krogan with my buddy Wrex?

did have that weird turret section right before your emotional final conversation with Liara though lol

honestly they kinda screwed themselves by making the Suicide Mission so good. I went in expecting Priority Earth to be a culmination and while it had its moments it was not that

I agree. The game should have had a 'fallout slide show' only it would have short cutscenes, not static images with v/o, woven throughout a 'final stand' of pretty much every war asset you'd managed to acquire. I want to see Elcor heavy artillery trundling across the battlefield. I want to see Asari commandos ripping apart Banshees with their minds. And in their absence, I want radio messages 'There's too many!' 'We're falling back!' 'Nobody is coming to help us!' 'We're so hosed!'

Then the run on the Citadel becomes either a triumphant 'they're on the ropes, we're ending this cycle once and for all' or 'oh poo poo, this is our only chance, guess we have to blow up the Earth and hope we take the Reapers with it.'

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Priority Earth could have been better but the rachni technically are non-violent engineers who attacked the Council out of Reaper/Leviathan-induced madness

e: like the point of the Hammer command base is you do a tour of all your troops and get to see the krogan/salarians/turians etc, all your squadmates and former squadmates. it's underdone but your choices and consequences are displayed

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

e: like the point of the Hammer command base is you do a tour of all your troops and get to see the krogan/salarians/turians etc, all your squadmates and former squadmates. it's underdone but your choices and consequences are displayed

Oh yeah it's definitely there I was just hoping for some Ride of the Rohirrim poo poo. my ideal priority earth would be like four hours long

they kind of tried this with ME:A's ending -- you hear a lot of background chatter from people like Reyes and the Pathfinders you've rescued. It didn't quite work because ME:A was a cargo cult ME game but there was an attempt

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lt. Danger posted:

Priority Earth could have been better but the rachni technically are non-violent engineers who attacked the Council out of Reaper/Leviathan-induced madness

Non-violent engineers who the Council had to uplift a species that was otherwise too violent to live to stop. They smart as hell but they gonna fight if its up to me.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I thought the priority earth mission was good from a gameplay perspective. The run to the new conduit was hella dumb but cool looking and the trudge through the citadel human juice slough is probably the most unsettling part of the game in a good way. The view of the Tim/Anderson convo is nice too.

Really of the main missions I think thessia is the worst and dumbest from both a story perspective as well as a gameplay one.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I thought the priority earth mission was good from a gameplay perspective. The run to the new conduit was hella dumb but cool looking and the trudge through the citadel human juice slough is probably the most unsettling part of the game in a good way. The view of the Tim/Anderson convo is nice too.

Really of the main missions I think thessia is the worst and dumbest from both a story perspective as well as a gameplay one.

Thessia has the Kai Leng fight where he makes fun of you if you try to shoot the gunship even though Shepard has killed like 10 gunships by this point and not five minutes prior had killed two Harvesters who are gunship-equivalents

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Very excited to explode and die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thessia leads to Javik outlining how the asari completely threw away every single advantage the protheans gave them, it's great.