Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

isn't the whole point of lisp that you implement your dialect *in lisp*, as macros, rather than creating a whole new language?

That's what Bel is, it's the macros and standard library. There's no official implementation as a usable language, it's just theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

that looks like flick, we were on flick and moved to electric kiwi, noticeably cheaper now despite flick being theoretically "market rate"

every study in the real world has shown that the "market rate" vs normal billing is always higher since theres usually a minimum rate and connection service charges

its almost like it was designed to be that way as a scam :thunk:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
speaking of the ~Free Market~

quote:

In the future your boss will assign work by auctioning JIRA tickets off to the team with a price ceiling set by freelancers on the LinkedIn marketplace. Payment will be through a bounty system. Salary is such an outdated payment structure

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Zlodo posted:

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
hunting jira tickets to get cyber-meat and digi-pelts to feed my family on the digital frontier

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Zlodo posted:

this one has to be a joke

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

every study in the real world has shown that the "market rate" vs normal billing is always higher since theres usually a minimum rate and connection service charges

its almost like it was designed to be that way as a scam :thunk:
correct

(taken from here: https://jabberwocking.com/chart-of-the-day-the-great-texas-power-rip-off/ )

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Truman Peyote posted:

this one has to be a joke

there are people on this earth who would read the libertarian police post and think "sounds great!"

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

quote:

This isn't just planes, this seems to be everything nowadays. Fission was discovered in 1938/1939 and we dropped two bombs on Japan in 1945. No chance we could do something like that in this toxic environment of today.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LMAO

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
holy poo poo lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am absolutely positive that the government today would no question spend 25 billion dollars to fund development of the most powerful bomb ever made. it would be the last thing on the budget after everything else was cut.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

duomo posted:

quote:

This isn't just planes, this seems to be everything nowadays. Fission was discovered in 1938/1939 and we dropped two bombs on Japan in 1945. No chance we could do something like that in this toxic environment of today

amazing content

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol i spent like five minutes trying and failing to find that chart

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

what the gently caress

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

weird, i didn't know matthew yglesias was a hn poster

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Ask HN: What tangible benefits did you get from spending time on HN?

So I would like to know if any of you have such experiences. I am specifically looking for stories like: 1) I posted this project and I started some company. Sold it or earning a lot of money or living my dream 2) I was hired because of my post on HN. 3) Girls chasing you because of your reputation as HN or met your wife because of your cool project ( Please don't hate me for this)

Basically money, power etc..

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
it's always wild to me not that people post dumb autistic poo poo on HN but that everyone just goes along with it.

hmm yes let's just move taiwan to texas, that will work. Prison release code is buggy can't keep up with the law, we'll just make the code the law. etc etc. all entertained as serious ideas by more than one person.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If you call that poo poo out you get flagged / banned, because :decorum:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some choice sex-related techlord posts in this discussion, oh boy.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26381377

Highlights include "if 100% prostitution should be legal, why not 50% where a secretary contractually has to have sex with her boss?" and "if I make even 25$/h that's 4h of work for 1 sex session".

And the classic "I believe I have enough experience to tell if a girl is enjoying her time with me or not and go out of my way to make her feel good (I perform oral and am generally not defensive)".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 8, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Boy don't you love it when HN talks geopolitics

Sinophobe: https://news.ycombinator.com/threads?id=dnautics (peep the post that goes "Tell your boss to buy a bug out spot")

Russophobe: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26341875

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KozmoNaut posted:

Some choice sex-related techlord posts in this discussion, oh boy.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26381377

Highlights include "if 100% prostitution should be legal, why not 50% where a secretary contractually has to have sex with her boss?" and "if I make even 25$/h that's 4h of work for 1 sex session".

And the classic "I believe I have enough experience to tell if a girl is enjoying her time with me or not and go out of my way to make her feel good (I perform oral and am generally not defensive)".

quote:

> [Julia] was a bold-looking girl, of about twenty-seven, with thick hair, a freckled face, and swift, athletic movements. A narrow scarlet sash, emblem of the Junior Anti-Sex League, was wound several times round the waist of her overalls, just tightly enough to bring out the shapeliness of her hips. Winston had disliked her from the very first moment of seeing her.

> Better than before, moreover, he realized why it was that he hated her. He hated her because she was young and pretty and sexless, because he wanted to go to bed with her and would never do so, because round her sweet supple waist, which seemed to ask you to encircle it with your arm, there was only the odious scarlet sash, aggressive symbol of chastity.

1984, George Orwell, 1949

Lmao quoting orwell in the top post.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

I won't comment on the personal stuff because I've stopped trying to save everyone. For the record I rolled on random.org with a 20% chance saying I should offer to personally help you and you got 57.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/how-to-become-an-intellectual-in-silicon-valley-timms

quote:

You’re joining the movement at a good time. These are golden days for the philosopher-VC. Moore’s Law states that the power of computing doubles every two years. Paul’s Law states that the population of VC intellectuals increases at a similarly exponential rate. This law takes its name, of course, from Paul Graham, the man who has done more than anyone else to make the venture capitalist not simply an investor of other people’s money but a critical thinker on politics and society. From his pithy Twitter feed to his legendary blog, the cofounder of Y Combinator has exhibited an unrivaled capacity to be consistently wrong on all the great questions of the age—or so his critics would have you believe. And this is the man’s special strength: the more the online mob criticizes him, the more right he’s convinced he is, and the stronger he grows. “Counterintuitive as it sounds,” he recently tweeted, “I’m always encouraged when I publish a new essay and get showered with insults. Showered = lots of people saw it, and insults = there were no big mistakes in it for them to refute.” Studying the great man’s Twitter feed—understanding both his obsessions and his style—will offer a sturdy template for you to follow as you embark on your career as a VC intellectual. (Obsessions = the things he is interested in. Style = the way he writes.) But he is not the only peer whose work you should become familiar with. Consider also Sam Altman, who once argued that “we have to allow people to say disparaging things about gay people if we want them to be able to say novel things about physics”; or Vinod Khosla’s pioneering contributions to the fight against public beach access (sample wisdom from Khosla Ventures website: “We believe change depends on unreasonable people”); or even Keith Rabois, who joined Khosla’s investment firm on the strength of its whiteboards and now knows more about residential real estate than probably anyone in the United States, according to Keith Rabois.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

this whole article is amazing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the baffler is a good mag

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

very solid article

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
rootsudo 3 hours ago [–]

And, so what?
Is everyone going to stop like how "gas" is under scrutiny? No.

Replace with coal, or any other commodity. Copper, Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc.
"the annual carbon emissions from the electricity required to mine Bitcoin and process its transactions are equal to the amount emitted by all of New Zealand. Or Argentina."

So? When did comparing to a country become a metric of success or for cause of concern? We can say the same/use the same metric for Gold, Silver. In general an economic indicator of prosperity is energy usage.

If anything this sounds like a marketing piece for the companies cited in the article vs a rag on bitcoin itself.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

lmm hours ago [–]

I swear I'm going to add a bitcoin miner to my libraries and list it in spring.factories so that it autostarts whenever someone starts a Spring Boot application with my library on the classpath. There'll be an undocumented config property to turn it off or make it mine to a different address. That's standard practice with every other library that uses Spring Boot, so it's perfectly ethical, and it's not like anyone using Spring Boot would notice that their application was wasting a bunch of resources.

Maybe someone else did this already. That would explain a lot actually.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
Scientists grow mice embryos in a mechanical womb (nytimes.com)

maxwoj 50 minutes ago [–]

Imagine world, where a man would be free to start a family, without the need to be dependent on a woman to exercise his reproductive rights. Without the fear that a woman will use the so called “justice system” as a weapon to take his kids and possessions away anytime she find suitable

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

arcanon 7 days ago [–]

If crypto increases energy demand and new energy capex that is most efficient is as green energy, then you are all wrong and crypto is good for the environment.

Not to mention that it directly couples energy and monetary value

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

(re: menstrual cups)

eric4smith 1 hour ago [–]

On a side note (haha)...
I tried to get my daughter to use these (single dad here), but no go. I guess the school where she was put it in their head that pads was the only way to go.
Sigh. I guess when she gets older and more independent she'll probably try it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i really want to believe he's just concerned about the environment but extremely emotionally stupid.

but it's actually a "i'm not made of money" thing, isn't it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh boy, I really love to have a cup filling up with blood just sloshing around as I go about my daily life! That isn't inconvenient at all as a teenager!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Oh boy, I really love to have a cup filling up with blood just sloshing around as I go about my daily life! That isn't inconvenient at all as a teenager!

to be honest looking back there are more than a few times itd have been nice to have a fresh cup of menstrual blood to throw on someone

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Like a squid's defense mechanism

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator