Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Karloff posted:

Seasons 1-3 are great. 4 ranges from okay to terrible. 5 is a bit of a return to form but it's clear some of the magic is gone. 6 meanders in quality but ends it really well, there's a lot less joy to it as a final season compared to earlier seasons, but purposefully so.

This is a pretty good assessment. It's a good show, I think 4 was less bad than people originally accused it of due to the surrounding drama, and the later seasons were not as good (magic being gone is a good description). On a recent rewatch my wife quit mid-season 6 and her view is that it got bad in 5 and 6.

I also think its unfair to directly compare it (and for that matter other shows from its era) to newer shows that undoubtedly borrowed a lot of the best aspects while learning from its mistakes. I feel like with sitcoms it's kind of a "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing where newer ones benefit from the evolution of the form and it's easy to throw older ones under the bus for poo poo like laugh tracks even if they laid a lot of groundwork for the stuff that came later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Laugh tracks are the devil

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Post-return Community has a certain frustrated edge to it that I find interesting. It's curdled in a way the early seasons aren't.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I watched the first episode of Roswell, New Mexico because I hate life and myself and the dialogue in that show is so cliched and poorly written that it sounds like it'd be the fake tv show someone would be watching in a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish that show was about aliens and secret government experiments with hybrid monster babies.

Someone needs to make a Dulce base movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

I watched the first episode of Roswell, New Mexico because I hate life and myself and the dialogue in that show is so cliched and poorly written that it sounds like it'd be the fake tv show someone would be watching in a movie.

Shoulda watched Eerie, Indiana.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I wish that show was about aliens and secret government experiments with hybrid monster babies.

Someone needs to make a Dulce base movie

Have you seen Resident Alien?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shoulda watched Eerie, Indiana.

I did when I was a kid. I watched the pilot online somewhere a few years and I don't think it hits the same way when you're an adult.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CPL593H posted:

I did when I was a kid. I watched the pilot online somewhere a few years and I don't think it hits the same way when you're an adult.

I couldn't disagree more. If you can put yourself back in the early 90s mindset the social commentary is still surprisingly strong.

E: Also there's some jokes about the older sister sleeping around and the actress who plays the mom being on coke that I can't believe Joe Dante was able to put in a kids' show.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 23, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen Resident Alien?

Isn’t that a comedy?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I couldn't disagree more. If you can put yourself back in the early 90s mindset the social commentary is still surprisingly strong.

E: Also there's some jokes about the older sister sleeping around and the actress who plays the mom being on coke that I can't believe Joe Dante was able to put in a kids' show.

Rocko's Modern Life got away with all kinds of sex jokes.

CelticPredator posted:

Isn’t that a comedy?

Yeah I just thought of it because you like aliens and presumably like laughing and things that are good. And Alan Tudyk is always great.

CelticPredator, watch the show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I might. I still want my alien horrors tho

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I might. I still want my alien horrors tho

Just watch the ending of Fire in the Sky before and after every episode of Resident Alien.

Problem solved.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/26MFHPOD/status/1363538427417825280

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The one lady in the back raising her hand like having slept with Howard Hughes was part of the exercise.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Laugh tracks are the devil

I liked the laugh track in Get A Life.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I own this on VHS and Shelley Winters isn't even mentioned on the case. :vince:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I found out Taco Bell has a happy hour from 2-5p and drinks are only $1 on Uber Eats. I ordered 4 zero sugar baja blasts for myself earlier, lmao. Thanks for reading.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I liked the laugh track in Get A Life.

That was a deconstructionist thing. It doesn't count.

teagone posted:

I found out Taco Bell has a happy hour from 2-5p and drinks are only $1 on Uber Eats. I ordered 4 zero sugar baja blasts for myself earlier, lmao. Thanks for reading.

Nobody in a Taco Bell is happy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was happier when they had potatos and mexican pizzas

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CelticPredator posted:

I was happier when they had potatos and mexican pizzas

Potatoes are coming back in March.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There was a whole Munch Squad about it and everything!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Life is good.

But it can be better.

*waits for the mexican pizza to return*

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
And as of yesterday they joined the fried chicken sandwich wars.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Give me back my shredded chicken burrito.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

yoohoo posted:

And as of yesterday they joined the fried chicken sandwich wars.

We all know who's going to win the franchise wars.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Taking potatoes off the menu was a serious blow to vegetarians who love fast food everywhere. Taco Bell and Burger King are the only two places that have vegetarian menu items, and the former's COVID menu consolidation removed a TON of good veggie options. I await the return of the Spicy Potato Soft Taco.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Give me back my shredded chicken burrito.

:hmmyes:

Haven’t been to Taco Bell since they got rid of it, probably won’t until it’s back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CPL593H posted:

We all know who's going to win the franchise wars.

Pizza Hut.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Taco Bell got rid of pretty much everything I liked in the purge. I loved those rollers with the fritos inside.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I looked up if there were any Taco Bells in Australia and it seems like there are a bunch, and the ones in Queensland seem pretty cool

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I do not love the Economy

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ethereum-nft-meme-art-nyan-cat-sells-for-300-eth-2021-2

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't want to live in this world anymore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lurdiak posted:

Pizza Hut.

The alliance based out of Jamaica Avenue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't believe this garbage sold for many, many times what Johnny Five Aces got.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Taco Bell got rid of pretty much everything I liked in the purge. I loved those rollers with the fritos inside.

I thought with Taco Bell the purge happened after you ate?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/soleimanistomb/status/1364389704502833157?s=20

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

therattle posted:

I thought with Taco Bell the purge happened after you ate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lisX3Or6twc

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Taco John's is better than Taco Bell anyway. The six pack and a pound is great fast food. ( 6 tacos and a pound of Tater Ole's)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PeterCat posted:

Taco John's is better than Taco Bell anyway. The six pack and a pound is great fast food. ( 6 tacos and a pound of Tater Ole's)

I don't have those in Phoenix. But I like Jack in the Box tacos better than Taco Bell's anyway. Also the wide variety of authentic Mexican places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PeterCat posted:

I was probably in my late 20s before I realized that potato oles are just spiced tater tots.