Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Samovar posted:

Uh... What is wrong with these names?

Actually, now that I write it down, why is it 'What is wrong' and not 'What are wrong'?

I think they were suggestions for the perfect given name to go with the surname Jackalone.

It's "what is wrong" because the verb refers to "what," which as a pronoun is always singular and therefore takes a singular verb.

e:
Well, that's what happens when you don't refresh the page before posting; you get beaten, and with an awful, awful snipe to boot.

For content: I met a young child called Dickie the other day. Also, a woman who shares a name with a well-known medication.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Hmmm... what would the best given names be?

Ivana Jackalone
I. Jackalone
Ima Jackalone

Penuswank Jackalone

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Lady Disdain posted:

Also, a woman who shares a name with a well-known medication.

drat, poor Hydroxychloroquine Smith.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

It's actually short for Pinkiantha Sec-sec-sec-sec-sec-sec-sec-sec-NARF. Her brother is named Irspoit.

Lady Disdain posted:

It's "what is wrong" because the verb refers to "what," which as a pronoun is always singular and therefore takes a singular verb.

Wrong spotted. Certain words, when used as relative or interrogative pronouns, can be singular or plural. What are those? Who run the world? I see the objects that are in front of me.

Side content: Is it considered bad luck, or bad form, or at least an invitation to open criticism, to announce your chosen baby name six months before the due date?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Harvey TWH posted:

Side content: Is it considered bad luck, or bad form, or at least an invitation to open criticism, to announce your chosen baby name six months before the due date?

Dunno, but I have a friend of a friend who announced a name that early. An aunt disliked the name so much she adopted a dog, gave it that name, and told this person she'd tell the child they were named after a dog.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Dunno, but I have a friend of a friend who announced a name that early. An aunt disliked the name so much she adopted a dog, gave it that name, and told this person she'd tell the child they were named after a dog.

Wow, I would tell my child about their horrible great-aunt to whom I no longer speak.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My first name comes from a neighbor's dog and my middle comes from another neighbor's cat, so...

Also, saw two Dicks today (:v:), Dick Hardin and Dick Jones. Dick Jones just made me think of Robocop.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Harvey TWH posted:

People will definitely give you their unsolicited opinions. They'll be more likely to keep those to themselves if you wait til the baby's born.

Also, one of my cousins announced her baby's name early, and one of my other cousins used it cause her baby ended up being born earlier. It caused a bunch of drama. But I think the solution there is to just use it anyway and not give a poo poo.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Telemaze posted:

People will definitely give you their unsolicited opinions. They'll be more likely to keep those to themselves if you wait til the baby's born.

Oh, it's not mine - just someone I know. I'd personally wait until after delivery, for various reasons. And there's no way anyone is taking the name, on purpose or otherwise. It's... unusual. Funny, I hadn't thought about the family snipe idea, although she was a victim of it (a cousin got a name she'd have had).

Marcade posted:

Also, saw two Dicks today (:v:), Dick Hardin and Dick Jones. Dick Jones just made me think of Robocop.

Hey, at least you got lots of nicknames available for the latter - as long as there's always respect.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Moon Monster posted:

It's a list of names that would go well with the surname Jackalone.

Duh, my brain not work good.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Spirithorse. No first name, no last name, just Spirithorse.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oscyrusz

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Marcade posted:

My first name comes from a neighbor's dog and my middle comes from another neighbor's cat, so...

I think Dick Jones really was called Richard, Clarence says "Take a look at my face, DICK," after RoboCop beat the crap out of him at the warehouse, then later calms down and says "We could be friends after all... Richard."

Anyway I have an OCP coffee mug, it rules.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Polish Osiris ?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
This probably doesn't count but I only just realized that my Grandpa's secretary was probably named Pat Roche, not Pat Roach.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Guy Axlerod posted:

This probably doesn't count but I only just realized that my Grandpa's secretary was probably named Pat Roche, not Pat Roach.

There was a Roach, Lynch, & Belch law firm not far from where I used to live but it looks like Roach struck out on his own a few years back

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Telemaze posted:

Also, one of my cousins announced her baby's name early, and one of my other cousins used it cause her baby ended up being born earlier.

drat, that's grimy.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Came across the last name Niggemann today at work and had to do a double take. :stare:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Wonder how they felt about that South Park episode.

E: actually I think it was -guy, not -man

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Kembirly

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, I would tell my child about their horrible great-aunt to whom I no longer speak.

Correct.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
shqiperije, which on further review is probably albanian, but its a unique collection of letters
pearley
maxx
myster
wendallen
genola
donaveicka
valynsia
shelvy
notorious
taizhane
shnay
shundle
siblings shadey and shawday
tromma
twynna
venice
raygan
christapher
ean
usses
cathern
twins TaMia and tamiah
angellicca
delight

last names:
piggue
noid
wafle

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Saw this tweet...
https://twitter.com/420quiznos/status/1369040967702110220?s=19

Good stuff in the comments too.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
shameeul
zeplyn
babylyn
rowdy
chasittiy
albany
chakakhan
eternity
seven
chancline
tajananae
izloe
dodge
taft

last names:
dicko
phenis

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I guess after 6 kids, you just run out of names.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

hyperhazard posted:

I guess after 6 kids, you just run out of names.

And then they had two more!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've met at least three people over the years called Seven. I always assumed it might be a name from another culture, but I never bothered to check.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lady Disdain posted:

I've met at least three people over the years called Seven. I always assumed it might be a name from another culture, but I never bothered to check.

Seinfeld posted:

GEORGE: I know. It’s Mickey Mantle’s number. So not only is it an all around beautiful name, it is also a living tribute.

SUSAN: It’s awful. I hate it!

GEORGE: (angry) Well, that’s the name!

SUSAN: (also angry) Oh no it is not! No child of mine is ever going to be named Seven!

GEORGE: (yelling) Awright, let’s just stay calm here! Don’t get all crazy on me!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, so I was right. But the "other culture" is American.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
my brother named his kid ayveen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

my brother named his kid ayveen

ayveen
Ayveen
Ayveen!
AYVEE-EE-EEN

I'm begging daddy please don't name me that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lady Disdain posted:

Oh, so I was right. But the "other culture" is American.

Excuse me, it's specifically Secretly Jewish But We Can't Say That Because It Would Affect Our Ratings American.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Excuse me, it's specifically Secretly Jewish But We Can't Say That Because It Would Affect Our Ratings American.

Wait, now I'm confused. How is it Jewish ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If numbering your children is good enough for the romans then it's good enough for you. Primus, secundus, tertius, quartus, quintus, sextus, septimus, octavius... nonimus?? (loving stupid idiot gets called nonimus?) and decimus.

My name is biggest ten in the middle, and I shall have my vengeance.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
If it's good enough for Jacob Rees-Mogg...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lady Disdain posted:

Wait, now I'm confused. How is it Jewish ?

How is Seinfeld Jewish? (just kidding)

My understanding is that when the show was pitched, all the main characters were explicitly Jewish. The network said that a show with an all-Jewish main cast wouldn't play, so they made it so that only Jerry is specifically, actually a Jewish character. However, they still wrote everyone as if they were Jewish. Again, this is just what I've heard, but I totally believe it for NBC in the 80s.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, thanks for explaining. I've never watched a full episode of Seinfeld, but from the bits and pieces that I've seen, I just assumed that everyone was Jewish.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just FYI, Elaine wasn't Jewish and George was Latvian Orthodox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just FYI, Elaine wasn't Jewish and George was Latvian Orthodox.

Right. Like I said, they weren't identified as Jewish on the show for the reason I've already stated. And George was not Latvian Orthodox; that was (almost) Kramer in the kevorka (sp?) episodes. According to a superfast google, "Larry David once claimed in an interview that George is half-Jewish/half-Italian, although that could merely be ethnicity."

e: found a bit more info, although from Cheatsheet so take it with a grain of salt:

"Originally, NBC execs didn’t think Seinfeld would be successful because it was “too New York, too Jewish.”

According to Jewish Chronicle, network entertainment president Brandon Tartikoff (who was also a Jewish New Yorker) said, “Who will want to see Jews wandering around New York acting neurotic?”

On the show, Jerry was described as Jewish, while the other three main characters were less obvious about religious leanings. Still, their faith was never a central focus of the show. It was more about providing a caricature of what a typical Jewish New Yorker acted like."

Lady Disdain posted:

Oh, thanks for explaining. I've never watched a full episode of Seinfeld, but from the bits and pieces that I've seen, I just assumed that everyone was Jewish.

No problem, it was a pretty random reference! I wish I remembered where I originally read the story, but it was over a decade ago.