Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Any of you like inuyasha

Why are you lighting up the Willo Signal?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't think I could watch Hellsing Ultimate without the over-the-top accents everyone has. From what I understand the Japanese voice track didn't have anything resembling that.

What I really like is when they go through the effort to make characters multilingual, like in the Japanese track of Full Metal Panic where people were speaking English, Italian or Cantonese depending on the scene setting. It was probably poorly accented but I appreciate the effort. The Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc in Black Lagoon was also really cool with Revy not knowing wtf anyone was saying and for the English dub it would have been better if they kept all the Japanese people speaking Japanese with subtitles, although I understand why they might not want to go that route. It would have made some scenes make more sense like that poor fucker in the bowling alley trying to beg Revy to spare him with his lovely English.

The best part of the Azurlane dub is everyone having accents.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the extremely southern dub of dunbine is Good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Accents in dubs is risky as it's very tricky to pull them off and a lot of 90's and 00's were not able to pull them off. But if you do it can be real good/amusing

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm the guy who loves Dragon Quest accents

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DoubleDonut posted:

but in Xenoblade games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoubleDonut posted:

Mister Facetious posted:

but in Xenoblade games

same

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:dance:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Xenoblade 2 using different accents for each of its countries was a great thing that more games should do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t wanna post in the relevant thread and get spoiled accidentally (only on chapter 7) but wow is Spy x Family really good shonen, I just hope it doesn’t go like Naruto or something and peak at the first arc.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Xenoblade 2 using different accents for each of its countries was a great thing that more games should do.

I never knew that was a thing, that's a nice touch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The scene in Dragon Maid where Riko is taunting the poo poo out of a bunch of middle school kids on the playground never ceases to be funny.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Furnaceface posted:

Why are you lighting up the Willo Signal?

i don't like it THAT much.

besides, if you were lighting up my signal, you would have to talk about zls

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t wanna post in the relevant thread and get spoiled accidentally (only on chapter 7) but wow is Spy x Family really good shonen, I just hope it doesn’t go like Naruto or something and peak at the first arc.

:yeah: I started it recently and it's a constant stream of delight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unfortunately the dub having absolutely no direction so rex's va having no idea how to scream, was not a great thing

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

unfortunately the dub having absolutely no direction so rex's va having no idea how to scream, was not a great thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoLf76dVMA

i am very happy rex isn't the xenoblade 2 rep in smash

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 24, 2021

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Endorph posted:

I can overlook the protagonist having a bad scream in cutscenes in exchange for Welsh catpeople, the militaristic Scottish empire, and dub Malos who is fantastic.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Last Celebration posted:

So far so good

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I can overlook the protagonist having a bad scream in cutscenes in exchange for Welsh catpeople, the militaristic Scottish empire, and dub Malos who is fantastic.

nothing will ever top shulk screaming "I'LL KILL YOU!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJRRR3jKcY

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xenoblade 2's dub was loving horrid dude.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Plutonis posted:

Xenoblade 2's dub was loving horrid dude.
I liked it, guess I just have low standards.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't like how the localization changed half the names around including the islands and stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The remake of Dragon Quest IV did this but in text.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

super robot wars x-omega is the most ambitious crossover game, nay, the most ambitious crossover of all time.

sakurai and the russo brothers wish they had a huge rear end cast on this level.

i still love sakurai though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Was the game good, tho'?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Was the game good, tho'?

no. ambitious != good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

By all reports no, it's one of the big examples of mobile Kusoge that was kept going by crossovers/art

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The remake of Dragon Quest IV did this but in text.

The modern retranslation of 3 does it too, the best part is probably when you go to Jipang and instead of racist Asian dialects it’s all haikus. Or maybe VII when you get to the southern soap opera town.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Dokapon Kingdom has different accents/dialects for the different regions.

I don't think it would really fly if it came out today though. Special award to the Chinese mayors that yell 'NI HAO' every time you visit their town before continuing in english with a racist accent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
cross-omega was very bad but it did have fat titties and a canonical lesbian couple

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

it also lets me play as a bunch of zombies piloting a mecha along with gurren lagann, so it has that going as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

but it did have fat titties

proof?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*cloaked ferryman silently moves gaze down and then back up* Yes... those are big. You tell no lies.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
humongo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Whoa whoa ehoa WHOA

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Certainly a huge rear end cast.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBRC1dHALY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Colonel posted:

*cloaked ferryman silently moves gaze down and then back up* Yes... those are big. You tell no lies.