Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
turns out we are all Rick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

watching DS9 because of this thread and lol at the idea that Picard would know how to casually operate the transporter system.

I mean it makes a shitload of sense, Picard's a veteran officer, and in a worst case scenario on a starship knowing how to use the transporter by yourself is 100% the one skill that would make the difference between a horrible death or a mild inconvenience.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Aglet56 posted:

Dan Simmons is a chud and the book has next-level creepy writing when it comes to the teenage Inuit girl on the ship.

yeah he really is an aggressively dumb writer. so pathologically afraid of Islam even his weird but interesting ‘the Trojan war but on Mars’ novels are completely infected with islamophobia

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

etalian posted:

Amos is the best friend in the universe even though he comes across as murder-machine/brute in the 1st season.

The Churn speech already marks as way more than just a brute.

I'm going through those episodes fast.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

turns out we are all Rick

I've always considered myself more of a Bubbles

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was just reminded of the Obama's anger translator bits from Key & Peele. It was my favorite sketch show but the anger translator stuff got worse over time, culminating in the nadir of "Hillary has an anger translator" and "Obama can drone strike anyone he wants LOL!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gIYgSa4qw

watch this one to instantly die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYh4x7cceVE

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/1364247602594676736
https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/1364275302713597952

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Jared Harris owns so much.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What designer drug is Chrissy coming down from?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

whoa Nightcrawler is tailor made for disillusioned millennials (and zoomers I guess).

that movie owns

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What designer drug is Chrissy coming down from?

adrenochrome

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

whoa Nightcrawler is tailor made for disillusioned millennials (and zoomers I guess).

its an awesome movie that should be hailed as one of the best examples of how all the virtues of the system we live in are practiced by reprehensible people. jake g's character is hard working, dedicated, doesn't waste money on frivolities, go getter, bla bla bla. utter psychopath. it's crazy it came out in 2014 , i remember going bonkers about it irl and no one caring

similarly with sorry to bother you 4 years later where the whole movie shifts from 'unionizing is a small time and pointless skirmish in the grand scheme of things' to full on kill your bosses/overlords at the end

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Feb 24, 2021

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

mastershakeman posted:

its an awesome movie that should be hailed as one of the best examples of how all the virtues of the system we live in are practiced by reprehensible people. jake g's character is hard working, dedicated, doesn't waste money on frivolities, go getter, bla bla bla. utter psychopath. it's crazy it came out in 2014

and illustrates what exactly it takes to be 'self made'

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Jake gyllenhaal's coercive relationship with that female news producer was very uncomfortable, but not in a good way. iono it crossed a line for me. loved the rest of the movie though. rip bill Paxton

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

another really good jake gyllenhall movie from that period that also no one watched was Enemy

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was just reminded of the Obama's anger translator bits from Key & Peele. It was my favorite sketch show but the anger translator stuff got worse over time, culminating in the nadir of "Hillary has an anger translator" and "Obama can drone strike anyone he wants LOL!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gIYgSa4qw

watch this one to instantly die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYh4x7cceVE

Like a lot of zeitgeist comedy that gets talked about a lot at the time (mostly by the media and chattering classes), Key & Peele was incredibly patchy and the patchiness is more and more evident in retrospect.

That first anger translator sketch did own, though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

babypolis posted:

another really good jake gyllenhall movie from that period that also no one watched was Enemy

Watch every Villeneuve movie. Incendies is crazy good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nonathlon posted:

Like a lot of zeitgeist comedy that gets talked about a lot at the time (mostly by the media and chattering classes), Key & Peele was incredibly patchy and the patchiness is more and more evident in retrospect.

That first anger translator sketch did own, though.

Oh yeah 100%. The first one was great! Even the first two or three IIRC. I also still like the Young Obama skits and think of them/quote them sometimes

And yeah K&P was a little hit or miss but for me at least it was 99% solid hits, which just makes the whiffs stand out more.

e: lol I just skimmed the first video I posted and it's not even the drone strike one, whoops

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Feb 25, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Amos is the best.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1364721180247228423?s=20

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

this is gonna do the Roseanne thing within four episodes

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

is kelsey sober enough for a new series

inb4 it comes out an underperforms

also the avatar dorks are really dumb politically as outlined in this 4 part series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModX151Ipgs

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Bootleg Trunks posted:

also the avatar dorks are really dumb politically as outlined in this 4 part series

Still not as dumb as spending 80 minutes examining the politics of a children's cartoon

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What is it, 80 minutes of "iroh is a war criminal" no he's my grandfather

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Fluoride Jones posted:

Still not as dumb as spending 80 minutes examining the politics of a children's cartoon

ya like you've got something better to do

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched Korra a few months ago for the first and only time, and I'm not going to watch a lengthy takedown of its politics.

My very short summary of its gross politics, especially post-escalator, is that the heroes (which include multiple cops) defend a fragile liberal democracy that barely exists against liberal caricatures of well-intentioned extremists.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Korra is good despite its communist allegory being dumb as gently caress.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Echo Chamber posted:

I watched Korra a few months ago for the first and only time, and I'm not going to watch a lengthy takedown of its politics.

My very short summary of its gross politics, especially post-escalator, is that the heroes (which include multiple cops) defend a fragile liberal democracy that barely exists against liberal caricatures of well-intentioned extremists.

aw, that doesn't go on for all four seasons, does it? just started watching and this Amon guy is a jabroni who shouldn't last one season.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Henry Rollins' character was too cool and right so they had to make him into a social darwinist or whatever.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Frasier's rivals should be Cumtown dudes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Frasier having to compete against a leftist podcast season arc

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Fleetwood posted:

just Frasier shocked at a thirty minute riff by the boys at the Ejaculate Village doing terrible impressions of him and Niles being gay with each other

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Animal-Mother posted:

aw, that doesn't go on for all four seasons, does it? just started watching and this Amon guy is a jabroni who shouldn't last one season.
Season 2 villain wants to usurp power from Korra to reshape the world, and not to preserve balance or whatever. Probably the most conventional and least troubling villain, though Korra still acts in defense of a liberal status quo.
Season 3 villain is an anarchist who wants to tear down all states. He's peak "Marvel villain who's actually correct in his critiques of how the world sucks".
Season 4 villain resembles what a liberal thinks Communist China is like.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I watched the first few episodes of korra and identified too much with the egalitarian terrorists so I quit caring about the protagonists and dropped it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

coincidentally I'm playing through ffviir for the first time and I love that I'm part of the extremist wing of the terrorist organization

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Killjoy posted:

just Frasier shocked at a thirty minute riff by the boys at the Ejaculate Village doing terrible impressions of him and Niles being gay with each other

iirc there was an episode like that in the original run

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Fleetwood posted:

Fake Nick calling in pretending to be a black israelite with impostor syndrome

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Kelsey Grammer's, like, a 2005-style chud, he's too concerned about sissy liberals to even know what leftists are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
friendly reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00