Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Glad to see that Ghost and Goblins Resurrection is forgiving with the difficulty.

I played the Capcom Arcade version that was free and was thinking why the gently caress I would buy a modern version of that game, because I the Rewind feature was the only way I found the classic enjoyable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Timesplitters holds up. :colbert:

Yeah we need a proper successor to this one what the hell

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cartoon Man posted:

This one was good back in the day. A lot better than it had any right to be given people’s expectations coming from the Jedi Knight games.

I want an HD remake of Republic Commando so bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

Glad to see that Ghost and Goblins Resurrection is forgiving with the difficulty.

I played the Capcom Arcade version that was free and was thinking why the gently caress I would buy a modern version of that game, because I the Rewind feature was the only way I found the classic enjoyable.
Is it forgiving? This guy gave it a 4/10 because it was too hard for him, even though by his own account it's a great remake that perfectly captures the spirit of the old game, lol.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ghosts-n-goblins-resurrection-review/1900-6417643/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Idgi

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You have to just wait around for another character to throw down a chain in a transparent attempt to mask loading. The game is full of stuff like that

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Needs more elevator dialogue.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As someone who has spent about 400 hours playing BOTW, it should be immediately obvious to you what the issue is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You have to just wait around for another character to throw down a chain in a transparent attempt to mask loading. The game is full of stuff like that

the worst thing about these is they don't get any faster when hardware improves

the next area loads in 0.1 seconds on your fancy new SSD but you've still got to watch an animation timed to last however long it took to load off a 2.5" HDD

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just don't get why a detail like that would significantly impact someone's enjoyment of a game when it counts for 1% of the playtime, and would just be a loading screen otherwise.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because it's bad, OP. And it's way more than 1% of the game lol.

hth

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I still don't see how repetitive button mashing is any better but hey the cool thing is emulation exists and you can play all your old games all you want, and they'll look even better than the originals + you can patch stuff etc. I'll stick to my new games, haven't even gotten around to playing critical hits such as outer wilds, subnautica, and even ff7r because there's so much really good new stuff in my backlog and I only get about an hour to 2 hours to game at night :(

Old God of war is not my cup of tea personally, the new one is a decent adventure/action game with pretty dang good production values and really neat environments

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I personally find the masked loading screens that are all over the place fairly annoying and I'd rather have proper load screens.

New God of War is ok tho

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

American McGay posted:

Is it forgiving? This guy gave it a 4/10 because it was too hard for him, even though by his own account it's a great remake that perfectly captures the spirit of the old game, lol.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ghosts-n-goblins-resurrection-review/1900-6417643/

It seems like there is a difficult setting where you can re spawn instantly where you die and not at a checkpoint. Basically saying if you want to just play through the game casually you can and then gradually up the difficulty. But it seems to have two check points, one before the boss and one midway through the levels, as well as the ability to bump the difficulty down for a level if you die frequently enough.

I don't know what this guy was complaining about... yeah, hard mode is hard, but it's not the only difficulty and you don't have to play it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kirios posted:

It sucks that the Switch is really starting to show its... Graphical limitations. A Pro version is sorely needed or we are going to lose some ports that just cannot be done on the Switch

It's fine that's why we have cloud streaming

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

Because it's bad, OP. And it's way more than 1% of the game lol.

hth

This, plus I don't find the actual moment-to-moment gameplay to be particularly good. The combat tries to be Souls-like but with less responsiveness and the close camera angle gives you poor feedback when surrounded by multiple enemies which happens a lot

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

American McGay posted:

As someone who has spent about 400 hours playing BOTW, it should be immediately obvious to you what the issue is.

If you have to point out and explain what the the thing is to people who never noticed it, that means it was a pretty effective solution.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xombie posted:

If you have to point out and explain what the the thing is to people who never noticed it, that means it was a pretty effective solution.

What about all the people who did notice it?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The new God of War has very poor enemy variety compared to the older ones. Seems to be a common trend these days

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Xombie posted:

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love God of War 2018, but it has so many moments like this and it's really annoying. The only thing I can think of why is to mask level load times, because otherwise stuff like this is so unnecessary. Its cool at first, but you come across these moments so much in this game. Naughty Dog is especially guilty of building levels like this, so its not just God of War, but a game industry trend in general for this genre.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah new God of war doesn't stack up to from soft action, it definitely feels loose and unsatisfying compared to the greats. But it's certainly a step up from brainless button mashing imo

Len posted:

It's fine that's why we have cloud streaming

You think it's viable right now? Man I wish I liked cloud gaming because the concept is okay but the execution has been disappointing, maybe it'll get there now that the pandemic is making Americans think about their comms infrastructure a little more

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Naughty Dog is especially guilty of building levels like this, so its not just God of War, but a game industry trend in general for this genre.

Hopefully we'll see less of it now the new consoles have ultra fast SSDs as standard

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Some people thought the last Unreal Engine tech demo had a masked loading section, because the character had to slow down and squeeze through a crevice. They expected loading when there wasn't any.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I love God of War 2018, but it has so many moments like this and it's really annoying. The only thing I can think of why is to mask level load times, because otherwise stuff like this is so unnecessary. Its cool at first, but you come across these moments so much in this game. Naughty Dog is especially guilty of building levels like this, so its not just God of War, but a game industry trend in general for this genre.

AAA third person 'platforming' sections which play themselves and require no meaningful input from the player are the worst. Uncharted has alot to answer for for convincing people that ledge climbing is gameplay

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This, plus I don't find the actual moment-to-moment gameplay to be particularly good. The combat tries to be Souls-like but with less responsiveness and the close camera angle gives you poor feedback when surrounded by multiple enemies which happens a lot

The close camera angle is seriously a real pain in the rear end. It also did not need to be open world.

Stoked for Republic Commando.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I managed to wear out the a button on my 8-bitdo controller thanks to animal crossing, so the button would stick occasionally. Taking it a part its the rubber membrane part had splt, after putting it back together it's not that bad but you can still tell somethings not quite right with it.

Has anyone had any luck with their support? I thought maybe I could just use a SNES membrane from ebay because it's pretty much just a snes controller with analog and more buttons but the design is different.

I guess I might as well buy a pro controller now, as much as I like the 8-bitdo the battery life isn't very good and I can see why cuz the battery is tiny.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What about all the people who did notice it?

You're basically dismissing every non Switch console game made after 2013 with this though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

stev posted:

You're basically dismissing every non Switch console game made after 2013 with this though.

I don't remember ever slowly sidling through a crack in the wall when I played Bloodborne

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
GOW18 goes out of its way to present itself in an extremely "cinematic" tone with the camera movements and extended animations and the gameplay overall suffers for it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don't remember ever slowly sidling through a crack in the wall when I played Bloodborne

True it had 2 minute long loading screens at launch instead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

GOW18 goes out of its way to present itself in an extremely "cinematic" tone with the camera movements and extended animations and the gameplay overall suffers for it.

100% this.

stev posted:

And God of War has 2 minute long loading sections when you fast travel that they pretend is gameplay by having you walk around in a white void

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

stev posted:

I mean clearly this means every Metroid Prime game is bad because it has masked loading screens.

I don't really care about these, but the worst I've seen was in Code Vein, where between areas there were long corridors with nothing in them - the map would vanish temporarily, the game would hiccup noticeably (and I normally don't notice that), and then the next map would appear.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

track day bro! posted:

I managed to wear out the a button on my 8-bitdo controller thanks to animal crossing, so the button would stick occasionally. Taking it a part its the rubber membrane part had splt, after putting it back together it's not that bad but you can still tell somethings not quite right with it.

Has anyone had any luck with their support? I thought maybe I could just use a SNES membrane from ebay because it's pretty much just a snes controller with analog and more buttons but the design is different.

I guess I might as well buy a pro controller now, as much as I like the 8-bitdo the battery life isn't very good and I can see why cuz the battery is tiny.

I contacted support and they shipped me replacement pads but it took like three months to arrive from China. In the meantime yeah I used a SNES membrane I bought somewhere but keep in mind it's not an exact fit still. Most likely you'll need to cut a bit of the rubber off to get a fit. Also you should buy a pro controller anyways, it's way better IMO.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

stev posted:

And on PS5 those are now 5 second loading screens. Meanwhile if I want to replay God of War on PS5...

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

American McGay posted:

if a game is cinematic it's usually not a very good game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

Oh yeah new God of war doesn't stack up to from soft action, it definitely feels loose and unsatisfying compared to the greats. But it's certainly a step up from brainless button mashing imo

You think it's viable right now? Man I wish I liked cloud gaming because the concept is okay but the execution has been disappointing, maybe it'll get there now that the pandemic is making Americans think about their comms infrastructure a little more

Lol no I personally don't think it's a good system which is why I don't have Bloodborne on PC or Control on Switch

But that doesn't change the fact that these companies seem to want it to be The Future

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kirios posted:

It sucks that the Switch is really starting to show its... Graphical limitations. A Pro version is sorely needed or we are going to lose some ports that just cannot be done on the Switch

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. Silicon and semiconductor shortages are so incredibly bad that it would be insane to release a new console right now, and Nintendo is so gun-shy they wouldn't be willing to make that risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Foul Fowl posted:

if a game is cinematic it's usually not a very good game

Sometimes yes sometimes no. Last of Us 2 has really excellent gameplay imo and manages to have "cinematic" animations while still feeling responsive in the right places.