Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone convinced the CEO we should do AGILE but he hated it so all we do is have scrums and planning sessions and then ignore everything and do whatever the emergency of the day is.

Our Scrum Master is a project manager for a client who we do no work for and have basically no interaction with. He has no idea what our team does and the sum total of his contribution is to add meetings to everyone's Outlook calendar.

man gently caress that guy. gently caress ANYONE adding meetings to everyone's outlook

I hate meetings so much. I hate them I hate them I hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For the bulk of my job I have to use a system that was designed in 1992 and barely ever updated. Here are its crimes:

1) It can't be made full screen. If you know a work around to make it FS it just color-fills and still makes you work in a little bordered/framed window.

2) No multi-tabs so if you need info to complete a function, you have to kill your current function, find out that info somewhere else and restart the whole thing

3) There are rules for how each screen and field operate. In one screen F2 deletes a query. In another screen F2 copies it. In order to work with any sense of speed, I had to memorize hundreds of rules.

4) The very few updates it has received only serve to make it more confusing. EX: I want to delete a request I made to our budget unit. I go to that screen, enter in the request no. and hit the "delete" button. Doing so gets you an error that says, "Failed to delete. Places 5 and 6 must be numerals." The request is 8 characters, all numerals. What?!
It's actually referencing a small, unlabeled box where, in order for the request to go through, you have to enter "000001".

5) Every department uses this system but it all looks different depending on your level of access. So if someone above me wants my help with something they'll say, "Where do we get the RZW500 number?" and I will have never heard of it at all.

6) In order to navigate it, you can't just click on the section you want, you have to enter an indicator that hopefully you memorized instantly. If I want payroll, I need to enter something like "FAHIJ", reimbursements is "10.18.7" and inventory is "AABERA 14". I swear to god I work for an old, mad god.

7) It is the central processing unit for nearly all of our information and it is down half of the time.

8) They rolled out a new web-based version of it that actually works really well but have yet to migrate it over completely. So now I have the old system and the new system, all with different rules and expectations and I'm losing my goddamn hair over it.

Also, I'm responsible for our IT inventory control and have no way to control who gets what. New equipment just gets dumped into my cubicle. I don't have a closet or any way to lock things up. Thank god I'm working from home, otherwise I'd have to sit on a pile of monitors and laptops. I have to do a yearly audit for all this stuff and since people can just cruise by and take whatever they want, I don't know where any of it is.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 24, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

PinheadSlim posted:

Not mine but my spouse once asked a client for some document scans they needed and the client replied with a single line of text that simply read "NO send you letter", now we say it as a joke when the other asks for a simple favor or whatever.

Our department joke whenever the system doesn't work is "They're probably rebalancing the servers"

We were told that one time by our headquarters' IT team as to why we were getting error 403 when trying to access our web apps.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone convinced the CEO we should do AGILE but he hated it so all we do is have scrums and planning sessions and then ignore everything and do whatever the emergency of the day is.

Our Scrum Master is a project manager for a client who we do no work for and have basically no interaction with. He has no idea what our team does and the sum total of his contribution is to add meetings to everyone's Outlook calendar.

I've become convinced that AGILE is the worst thing ever. When it is done correctly in a place where it makes sense, it keeps projects moving effeciently. On the other hand, what I see happening a lot is people take the meeting structure of AGILE and then none of the workflow management, and just create something that is ANAL.

Agile in name alone, loser.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

arsegrit posted:

I am a computer toucher working in a computer touching company. Jira and Agile is a thing, though used entirely improperly. It's like the powers that be decided that the most important thing about agile is that work is done in 'sprints'. Nothing else matters. So, tasks aren't estimated properly, nothing is delivered at the end of a sprint, and the content of a sprint changes wildly during its duration. So you get to the end of a sprint, and then ???. The whole process is pointless. But it means they put 'agile' on the marketing material.

Not that it affects me much, as I don't actually get to do work any more because ~seniority~. It seems the best use of my years of experience in working out how to touch computers in just the right way to trick them into doing what I want, is to let it rot whilst I help the sales team bullshit customers. On the upside, I can spend most of a day doing sweet gently caress-all and people think I'm really busy and doing a great job?! I've not figured this one out yet.

The dumb poo poo I'm doing is looking for somewhere else to work? I really don't know if getting paid reasonably well to spend most of the day in an unmotivated stupor is better or worse than getting paid slightly more to do a lot more work but to also actually have the satisfaction of achieving something.

That's weird. I don't remember registering this account or making this post, but here it is.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We have attempted to go all-in agile, but somehow the company has managed to make it administratively heavy. We have two-day planning meetings every 8 weeks, then hours after every sprint on demos and retrospectives, and avg 30 minute daily standups. I think something like 20% of my time goes towards "agile" meetings.

And now that we're in a period where we for a few months are working on lots of small tasks that can't be reasonably estimated, I suggested that perhaps we can just run it kanban-style and return to more organized agile development once this is over and done with. Nope, can't do that. We gotta have sprints and stories. So we'll just run kanban on the side, make a pile of "timebox" stories every sprint and then move them to done at the end. It feels really meaningful. (At least we'll achieve the coveted 100% sprint commit)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 24, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

all this agile poo poo sounds like you guys are speaking another language. what is all this bullshit? (that's a rhetorical question, please don't explain it)

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Play posted:

all this agile poo poo sounds like you guys are speaking another language. what is all this bullshit? (that's a rhetorical question, please don't explain it)

it is a set of defined processes and procedures to facilitate planning, estimation, development and rollout of software projects within an organization (gently caress you)

as you can see, the process can be modified based on requirements of a specific project, or you can pick and choose which parts you actually implement and which you don't, often with negative results on the development team since management doesn't understand the value of all parts of the process and will drop them on a whim against the protests of the actual development team itself

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We are trying to use Teams at work now. I actually like it just fine. But so far no one is posting anything on it, and the older folks don't understand it, so I check it a few times a day -- empty -- and then go back to whatever I was doing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We are trying to use Teams at work now. I actually like it just fine. But so far no one is posting anything on it, and the older folks don't understand it, so I check it a few times a day -- empty -- and then go back to whatever I was doing.

We use the hell out of it (courtesy of corona) and I gotta say it's pretty drat nice. Most people I work with are quick to respond and you can have an ad-hoc meeting just to discuss some small thing or work on a problem together. I'd say a good 80% or more of the communication these days happens over Teams rather than via mail or phone calls. It's gotten to the point where I only check mail a couple of times a day since the important stuff gets communicated via Teams instead.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

We use the hell out of it (courtesy of corona) and I gotta say it's pretty drat nice. Most people I work with are quick to respond and you can have an ad-hoc meeting just to discuss some small thing or work on a problem together. I'd say a good 80% or more of the communication these days happens over Teams rather than via mail or phone calls. It's gotten to the point where I only check mail a couple of times a day since the important stuff gets communicated via Teams instead.

Yeah, I mean I'm used to staring at chatrooms and message boards all day when I should be working, so my employer is probably getting a good deal if they can direct my attention to a chat tool for actual work. But I don't think they've figured out how to make people use it over email, and I'm not going to lead the charge.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of Teams, at the start of the pandemic and WFH, someone higher up decided we'd be very proactive with our support.

Teams asks users after every call to rate the call quality. I don't know to what degree that is customizable, since I'm not a Teams admin, but a lot of people are annoyed that it asks after every freakin' call.

Secondly, and how it directly affects our team, if ANY call is rated less than a 5/5, it auto-generates a ticket about the call quality that we have to investigate.

4/5 should not generate a ticket, and I'm on the fence that even a 3/5 should.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ben shapino posted:

it is a set of defined processes and procedures to facilitate planning, estimation, development and rollout of software projects within an organization (gently caress you)

as you can see, the process can be modified based on requirements of a specific project, or you can pick and choose which parts you actually implement and which you don't, often with negative results on the development team since management doesn't understand the value of all parts of the process and will drop them on a whim against the protests of the actual development team itself

Whenever I hear about this argyle agile jira trello teams stuff I just say to myself "I mean can't you just like, do your job"

I know that's extremely reductionist but I guess I just don't see the point, every time it's explained to me it seems like it's some kind of way to overload people with too many tasks instead of just letting someone do what they need to do, get it right, move on to the next thing, etc.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of Teams, at the start of the pandemic and WFH, someone higher up decided we'd be very proactive with our support.

Teams asks users after every call to rate the call quality. I don't know to what degree that is customizable, since I'm not a Teams admin, but a lot of people are annoyed that it asks after every freakin' call.

Secondly, and how it directly affects our team, if ANY call is rated less than a 5/5, it auto-generates a ticket about the call quality that we have to investigate.

4/5 should not generate a ticket, and I'm on the fence that even a 3/5 should.

Especially when the cause is basically guaranteed to be "subpar internet connection" every single time

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Whenever I hear about this argyle agile jira trello teams stuff I just say to myself "I mean can't you just like, do your job"

I know that's extremely reductionist but I guess I just don't see the point, every time it's explained to me it seems like it's some kind of way to overload people with too many tasks instead of just letting someone do what they need to do, get it right, move on to the next thing, etc.

Having no experience with software dev:

How many jobs have you ever had where they just let people do their job?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Some Goon posted:

Having no experience with software dev:

How many jobs have you ever had where they just let people do their job?

Every physical labor job I've worked. Unfortunately we're apparently more trustworthy that way than we are as office workers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I do my job without all that bullshit because I would be letting down the people my org helps if I didn't

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

that's been my experience.
We had been on Outlook/Office + Skype For Business for a long time, then phased over to Outlook/Office 365 + Teams at the beginning of the pandemic.
Microsoft did a pretty good job integrating everything. I like that my Outlook and Teams calendar are one and the same. People can call me/text me/whatever through teams on my laptop or phone without a VPN.
The only things I actively hate are how Teams auto-resizes when I take my laptop out of the dock and the bad integrated Word editor. Some things just don't show up formatted correctly and it's extremely annoying to find that out after reviewing/redlining the poo poo out of some 60 page document.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone at work asked if we needed to have a mechanism to purge all Teams and Yammer data more than 7 (maybe 10, I forget) years old like we do serious business emails. I think the committee is still arguing about that one.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
FYI, if you don't know where a file should go you can save it in the parent folder. Never create additional folders or try to organise things. And if you're making multiple versions of a file just save them all together in the parent folder, but make sure to give them different filenames so you can't find the most current one. Honestly it doesn't even need to be the right folder just save poo poo wherever, someone will figure it out.

:shepicide:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

FYI, if you don't know where a file should go you can save it in the parent folder. Never create additional folders or try to organise things. And if you're making multiple versions of a file just save them all together in the parent folder, but make sure to give them different filenames so you can't find the most current one. Honestly it doesn't even need to be the right folder just save poo poo wherever, someone will figure it out.

Can I name them "FileName v1" "FileName v2" "FileName v3" or is that too avant-garde?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Can I name them "FileName v1" "FileName v2" "FileName v3" or is that too avant-garde?

Okay, I'm guilty of that one occasionally, but only if the original is never getting touched again because my boss insists on keeping old files together with the ones in use for Reasons.

Also:
OneDrive/Sharepoint is my nemesis and I wish to see it burn.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, I'm guilty of that one occasionally, but only if the original is never getting touched again because my boss insists on keeping old files together with the ones in use for Reasons.

Also:
OneDrive/Sharepoint is my nemesis and I wishbto see it burn.

I save everything to the C:\ drive in a folder structure while I'm working on it, then move it to SharePoint when it's ready to be shared with the group.

Those cloud spaces have grown on me, but I'm not 100% of the way there yet. There are still some networking/shared document kinks Microsoft needs to work out yet.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

I save everything to the C:\ drive in a folder structure while I'm working on it, then move it to SharePoint when it's ready to be shared with the group.

Those cloud spaces have grown on me, but I'm not 100% of the way there yet. There are still some networking/shared document kinks Microsoft needs to work out yet.

Lucky you. I manage to keep almost all my work local, but two things.
One, random "do this now" poo poo that comes in from people I've never talked to in departments I've never seen, which, whatever.
Two, our godforsaken productivity tracker. Which is just an overcomplicated Excel sheet with a shitload of formulas (and no VBA macros even where that would make things easier). Which the coworker I've mentioned before constantly leaves open and refuses to close despite getting reminded all the time. Turns out more than one user having the sheet open at a time means it fails to sync 9 out of 10 times and pops up with an error message! Too bad we need that sheet to track the metrics that our manager breathes down our neck about if we miss a single 15-minute increment! And, of course, all assigned work, stages of the process, etc are tracked in the same file, along with our shared reference library for some of our software.

Abolish Microsoft's cloud and make my life easier. Just fuckin' email me. Everything was smooth when I just emailed it in at the end of the week and anything that needed referencing on it got emailed back to me. I may be the only person in this thread who would rather people email me instead of talk to me or gently caress with shared files.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Abolish Microsoft's cloud and make my life easier. Just fuckin' email me. Everything was smooth when I just emailed it in at the end of the week and anything that needed referencing on it got emailed back to me. I may be the only person in this thread who would rather people email me instead of talk to me or gently caress with shared files.

Nah, I hate a lot of the shared poo poo. The worst is people who drop files into Teams; I find it to be a pain to locate those files later if I needed. Especially if it was just a one-way share.

Just email me the drat file and I'll drag and drop it into the correct folder, geez.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Email is the absolute worst way to share files/collaborate.

We use OneDrive where I am, but we still have issues with people attaching a document as a file, not OneDrive link, so we get like five loving versions of a document floating around that 4 different people edited on their own.

A single OneDrive link allows EVERYONE to simultaneously edit it, and it has built in versioning, so you can go right back to what it was before without having to sit there and wonder,

"Is Document V1.2 the most recent, or Document V 2.1...in theory it should be 2.1, BUT 1.2 has the most recent Date Modified...maybe Jerry didn't know we moved on to 2.1 and put his edits on 1.2..."

I feel your pain on traditional file shares and not being able to use/edit a file cause someone left it open and left for the day, but that is also solved by OneDrive/Sharepoint.

And what if your local storage shits the bed before you had a chance to move it to the Sharepoint/OneDrive?

No system is perfect, but "everyone emails the actual file back and forth for weeks on end" method is the absolute worst.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel your pain on traditional file shares and not being able to use/edit a file cause someone left it open and left for the day, but that is also solved by OneDrive/Sharepoint.

That's the problem - I'm not using OneDrive as a generic term here, we are using OneDrive and it's causing a problem that was never an issue before we adopted it. We do not need to share a progress tracking document that's just individual Excel sheets for each of us in a shared document. It's one-way sharing already. A shared document of assigned projects is nice but there are better ways to accomplish it than putting it in the same file. That's also one-way edited by one person. There's definitely far better ways to handle a read-only shorthand reference document than also putting it in the same document. And having all of these overlap guarantees that even if the person who won't listen to a single instruction they're ever given would start listening, someone will always have the document open during the work day, at which point the syncing breaks, as it's been doing since day 1 that we introduced this system (yet "basic functionality isn't supported" wasn't good enough to not get us to go ahead with it; see also, every other piece of software mentioned.)

Try to split any of this up and it's like you committed murder.

edit: also today's problem is that someone else removed a file without telling anyone and left no traces of it. That happened to be critical. Only ever shared via OneDrive so can't go find emails or Slacks.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 24, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zarin posted:

20200127 filename
2020 Feb 1 filename tf 2
Filename
Filename1
Filename2
Filename 20200220
Filename draft
Filename draft ht edit
Filename final
Filename final draft
Filename final draft 2
Filename final edit
Filename v2

The actual final version is saved somewhere else.

NapalmWeasel
Aug 10, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's the best email I ever got from one of our field techs. No information, no context, no nothing - just three words, his typical Windows 3.1 background, and his name.

Oh, Gary, my sweet summer child. I have been trying to figure that out for years. If you figure it out, please let me know so I may die in peace.

Zarin posted:

I'm a fan of the "Filename yyyy-mm-dd.ext" format.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

NapalmWeasel posted:

I'm a fan of the "Filename yyyy-mm-dd.ext" format.

Same, but no dashes.

The trick is getting anyone else to do it. I'm gonna be such a dick about filing and poo poo. Staff are gonna hate me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DrBouvenstein posted:

And what if your local storage shits the bed before you had a chance to move it to the Sharepoint/OneDrive?

No system is perfect, but "everyone emails the actual file back and forth for weeks on end" method is the absolute worst.

I'm not suggesting emailing something back and forth for weeks on end; no, if it's that collaborative, then yeah it probably belongs in SharePoint. But if I'm asking for last month's sales report or whatever? Just send it, sharing it inline in a Teams conversation is the worst way to handle it.

OneDrive has a neat issue where even though I'm working on a file on my personal OneDrive and I have never shared either the file, or the folder, or any parent folders with anyone, sometimes I'll get a sync issue that says "cannot save file, a newer version is available on the cloud". No, no, I guarantee that the newer version is NOT available on the cloud because it is physically impossible for anyone else to have touched this file! Getting that error at a critical point in the closing process several months in a row was enough for me to decide I did not, in fact, want to work on things live in the cloud if I didn't have to.

Also there's the issue where one file I keep accessing somehow keeps resetting itself to "read only" and that about hosed up a close. Eventually I just synced everything to my Local OneDrive and then had to right click -> properties -> uncheck Read Only on my local copy.

Today, I do a lot of work with cloud files, but I still have to be careful because they can be buggy as gently caress.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

Same, but no dashes.

You monster.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zarin posted:

You monster.

I do it without dashes. Once you get used to it, it's faster type and easy to parse.

This is not unique but every. single. time I ask my team "Hey fill out this thing and drop it in this file with the title LASTNAME YYMMDD" I get a half dozen knuckle draggers that upload it as something like "Filled Form FIRSTNAME".

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

if you want to work on complicated software projects with estimates, budgets, and release dates you have to predict and try to stick to, and multiple stakeholders that would like to know the status of different projects at various times as well as a system to improve estimates, projections and processes, then no, you can't just "do your job" lmao part of your job is tracking and managing everything as you go.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Outrail posted:

20200127 filename
2020 Feb 1 filename tf 2
Filename
Filename1
Filename2
Filename 20200220
Filename draft
Filename draft ht edit
Filename final
Filename final draft
Filename final draft 2
Filename final edit
Filename v2

The actual final version is saved somewhere else.

pls stop hacking my computer

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inzombiac posted:

I do it without dashes. Once you get used to it, it's faster type and easy to parse.

This is not unique but every. single. time I ask my team "Hey fill out this thing and drop it in this file with the title LASTNAME YYMMDD" I get a half dozen knuckle draggers that upload it as something like "Filled Form FIRSTNAME".

I mean, yeah, if you specifically requested a naming convention and they violate it, then THEY are the monsters.

I just like my dashes for my own personal garbage :(

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Zarin posted:

I mean, yeah, if you specifically requested a naming convention and they violate it, then THEY are the monsters.

I just like my dashes for my own personal garbage :(

I use periods between every word of the filename. I know, I'm a dirty pervert

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

:wrong: Save everything on your desktop. :smug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Play posted:

I use periods between every word of the filename. I know, I'm a dirty pervert

I loving hate you and everyone that does this.

Seriously go to hell :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

most jobs and projects suffer under a crushing sense of overmanagement in my experience which makes this one project that has absolutely gone to hell due to a completely absent management team sting way more