Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The console wars are still alive and well in 2021 except now you have to pretend it's for some plausibly deniable socially conscious reason instead of just wanting to say Nintendo rulez Sony droolz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God of War 2018 is good and all CDPR execs should be fired

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kirios posted:

The Switch thread is full of people that didn't like God of War 2018 at all. Is it really that hated of a game? I was under the impression it's one of the best games of the last generation.

In my experience switch owners tend not to like good games, otherwise why would they own a switch? :mmmhmm:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t play God of War 2018 on a Switch so how can I say it’s good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

That has very little to do with why they did it though

I would like to hear your explanation of how CP2077 got removed from the PSN store that doesn't start with "CDPR released a game so broken that customers demanded refunds en masse".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kirios posted:

The Switch thread is full of people that didn't like God of War 2018 at all. Is it really that hated of a game? I was under the impression it's one of the best games of the last generation.

Switch thread is full of whiney pricks

:ironicat:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

I would like to hear your explanation of how CP2077 got removed from the PSN store that doesn't start with "CDPR released a game so broken that customers demanded refunds en masse".

No Esco's right here, it's because CDPR told everyone to get in touch with Sony and they'd sort out refunds even though Sony had no idea this was happening.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

acksplode posted:

Technically they got booted because they said “just ask for a refund no problem!” before consulting with Sony.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Technically they got booted because they said “just ask for a refund no problem!” before consulting with Sony.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No Esco's right here, it's because CDPR told everyone to get in touch with Sony and they'd sort out refunds even though Sony had no idea this was happening.

CDPR put themselves between the rock of "a bunch of angry customers wanting refunds" and the hard place of "Sony does not do digital refunds". They did that by releasing a broken game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I feel like a part of this story is missing, perhaps why people were demanding mass refunds to begin with. Who can tell.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I feel bad for everyone who got hosed over but the Cyberpunk situation is also quite funny

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah for sure but I think they ultimately got booted for telling everyone to go get in touch with Sony.

they also lied about their day 1 patch was gonna fix all the issues that made it fail cert... which begs the question why do Sony and MS even bother with Certs if games can pass that are totally broken...
I think Akuma was saying unless your game literally breaks the console it'll pass Cert but still, what a joke.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I thought there was a reason I stopped going to the switch thread despite liking my Switch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

13 Sentinels 50% off sale ends today, if anyone's still interested in picking it up

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah for sure but I think they ultimately got booted for telling everyone to go get in touch with Sony.

That was the direct proximate cause, but I think CP2077 would've been removed regardless. CDPR was in no position to grant refunds, so even if they didn't say go to Sony, people naturally would've turned to the storefront where they made the purchase they'd like refunded. Sony would've still been under pressure to make an exception to their refund policy, and would've ended up at the same conclusion of taking the broken product off the shelf.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hmm I wonder. I can't think of any other game that's been so broken this gen so you may be right.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Are any other versions nearly as broken as the PS4 version?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hmm I wonder. I can't think of any other game that's been so broken this gen so you may be right.

Fallout 76. I experienced it first hand. Better in some ways, worse in others.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The original XB1 version runs even worse than base PS4, but MS has a standard refund policy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Fallout 76. I experienced it first hand. Better in some ways, worse in others.

Oh yeah I knew there was another really bad one.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Are any other versions nearly as broken as the PS4 version?

exquisite tea posted:

The original XB1 version runs even worse than base PS4, but MS has a standard refund policy.

Yeah basically the last-gen consoles got shafted. CDPR probably told themselves a little story where next-gen consoles would have plentiful supply and everyone would buy them and play CP2077 on them with BC.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

That was the direct proximate cause, but I think CP2077 would've been removed regardless. CDPR was in no position to grant refunds, so even if they didn't say go to Sony, people naturally would've turned to the storefront where they made the purchase they'd like refunded. Sony would've still been under pressure to make an exception to their refund policy, and would've ended up at the same conclusion of taking the broken product off the shelf.

So basically their lovely refund policy is a lot of the reason. We seem to be in agreement.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Is Fallout 76 in a state where it'd be moderately enjoyable at 10 bucks? I hear the actual world is gorgeous and fun to explore

Then again I could just buy Skyrim again if I wanted that lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could get Skyrim and use the new 60fps mod on PS4, which is excellent!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am glad I didn't listen when people said to "wait for the patch" and just finished Cyberpunk 2077 even on the completely busted PS4 1.1 version

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

So basically their lovely refund policy is a lot of the reason. We seem to be in agreement.

acksplode posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Absolutely. Sony actually is willing to refund games over technical issues (a number of people did this for No Man's Sky), but a company issuing a statement that a different company will solve your problem without confirming it first is a huge fuckup and very bad for the relationship between the two

quote:

they also lied about their day 1 patch was gonna fix all the issues that made it fail cert... which begs the question why do Sony and MS even bother with Certs if games can pass that are totally broken...
I think Akuma was saying unless your game literally breaks the console it'll pass Cert but still, what a joke.

The purpose of cert is basically to make sure that games don't harm the console as a whole. Cert will reject you if your game crashes - a lot, all the time, for everyone - or if platform features don't work or are used incorrectly. Cert will not bounce a game just for being bad in ways that don't reflect poorly on the console itself, like being full of physics glitches or missing hyped features or not being any fun. But cert is also a political process, since both sides would very much like a game to pass so they can start making money, and it's possible to push back and get waivers for things that get flagged*. A studio like CDPR working on one of the most anticipated games of the year has a lot of power here and they clearly used it, but they also destroyed Sony's trust in the process and that will be much harder to fix than CP2077 itself.

*funny story- I worked on a port of a computer game to Xbox 360 and cert flagged an easter egg where the text referred to the caps lock key. There are rules that govern references to non-stock input devices and this was held to be in violation of them. We successfully pushed back and got a waiver after convincing them that no one could possibly be confused by this

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wouldn't call it gorgeous, but it's arguably the best Fallout map. I have plenty of issues with it, but still put a lot of time into it. It's worth $10, just be aware of what you're getting into.

If you can, I'd recommend not playing it on a PS4. it still runs like poo poo (though performance additionally depends on what server the game puts you in)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lots of other people already answered that when I wasn’t around!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Lots of other people already answered that when I wasn’t around!

I'm a moron who can barely read, do me a favor and summarize it to the best of your understanding.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

read up!!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

acksplode posted:

I'm a moron who can barely read

:same:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem with saying that it was pulled from PSN because it was too broken is that it gives too much credit to Sony. Yeah, it being broken was ultimately why it was pulled but Sony would have happily kept selling it if it hadn't affected their bottom line and given them bad press for having a lovely refund policy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Inverted posting controls???

:yikes:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

I'm a moron who can barely read, do me a favor and summarize it to the best of your understanding.

Ok: I don’t think Sony would have pulled the game if CPDR hadn’t said “you can ask Sony and they’ll give you a refund!” I don’t feel like even a demand for it would have caused Sony to pull the game and give refunds if not for CDPR actually saying that was something people could do.

veni veni veni posted:

The problem with saying that it was pulled from PSN because it was too broken is that it gives too much credit to Sony. Yeah, it being broken was ultimately why it was pulled but Sony would have happily kept selling it if it hadn't affected them negatively.

Yes, this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The problem with saying that it was pulled from PSN because it was too broken is that it gives too much credit to Sony. Yeah, it being broken was ultimately why it was pulled but Sony would have happily kept selling it if it hadn't affected their bottom line and given them bad press for having a lovely refund policy.

this is also what I think. if CDPR had just said nothing about flooding Sony with refund requests, I think it'd still be on PSN

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Selling a product that broken, by definition and inevitably, would have affected Sony negatively. There may have been class action lawsuits, because the game really was in that bad a state.

It may have been pulled quicker because CDPR typed "> insert foot in mouth" but I've no doubt it'd have been pulled eventually no matter what.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't say it got pulled from PSN because it was broken, I said it got pulled because it was so broken that customers demanded refunds en masse. CDPR absolutely hosed up by saying talk to Sony. But they didn't give people the idea -- people were trying to get refunds through Sony already. Remove CDPR's statement from existence and you still have a situation where Sony is put in the position of either changing their refund policy or issuing what's effectively a product recall.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think a lot of people even know you can get refunds on digital games to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok: I don’t think Sony would have pulled the game if CPDR hadn’t said “you can ask Sony and they’ll give you a refund!” I don’t feel like even a demand for it would have caused Sony to pull the game and give refunds if not for CDPR actually saying that was something people could do.
Bit of a chicken and egg question, but isn't it then still fundamentally more CDPR's fault for making a game so broken that it caused people to demand refunds en masse in the first place?