Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we should send more poo poo to venus. it's isothermal, its atmosphere is dense as hell, we dont know a lot about it because its so hot on the surface also the atmosphere is made of acid, we should fly some poo poo around in its atmosphere and learn some more about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

We should send a dirigible imo.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
:actually: It's the hottest planet OP.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

You know somehow I mever looked at it closely but is this smiley the poo poo rear end protag of YIIK

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:pressf: for this probe taking a sample of it's own lens cap.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

Isn't Mercury hotter? Or you doing an average so the cold side balances it out?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

A Sometimes Food posted:

IIRC Venus's thick atmosphere traps enough heat via the Greenhouse Effect that it is substantially hotter than Mercury, which has barely any atmosphere.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

A Sometimes Food posted:

venus is hotter than mercury because of its atmosphere. mercury on the day side is like 800 degrees F while the surface of venus is like upper 800s.

e. yeah ^^

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In my headcannon intelligent life evolved on Venus but they merc'd themselves by triggering a runaway greenhouse effect, resulting in the atmosphere we see there today.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Pluto is the coolest and coldest planet

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
It's very important we understand the boiling shitfest that is Venus so we're prepped for when we do it to Earth

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Venus is a planet for badasses, not little wimps. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the Venus :clint:

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

In my headcannon intelligent life evolved on Venus but they merc'd themselves by triggering a runaway greenhouse effect, resulting in the atmosphere we see there today.

Same.

All these eggheads say things like "we don't have enough stuff we could turn into greenhouse gases to do that" but wait til Elon and Bezos start importing hydrocarbons from the asteroid belt.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Venus is also upside-down and has a longer day than year. That's pretty cool.

And it's easier to get to than Mars, because you don't have to fight the sun's gravity as much. Maybe harder to actually land something on, though.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Shwoo posted:

Venus is also upside-down and has a longer day than year. That's pretty cool.

And it's easier to get to than Mars, because you don't have to fight the sun's gravity as much. Maybe harder to actually land something on, though.

I thought Mars was harder to land on because the atmosphere is so thin (making deceleration harder)

The main problem seems to be surviving after landing, not just because of the heat but also the intense pressure and possible sulphurous acid rain. Venus is metal as hell though.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mars has basically the worst case atmosphere of enough to have to worry about but not enough to really take advantage of

Venus, by contrast, has an excellent aerobraking atmosphere. Apart from all of the acid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bloody posted:

Mars has basically the worst case atmosphere of enough to have to worry about but not enough to really take advantage of

Venus, by contrast, has an excellent aerobraking atmosphere. Apart from all of the acid.

the coolest thing about putting floating colonies on venus is how earthlike - admittedly, barring the whole acid cloud thing - it is. towards the top of the clouds, pressure and temperature are earth normal. thanks to the atmospheric density, human breathable gases are lifting gases with about half the power of helium on earth. since the pressure is equalized, any tears or rips in a colony dome wouldn't be immediately catastrophic - you'd just have gases slowly diffusing out. and humans outside of protected spaces wouldn't need to wear pressure suits, just an environmental suit to protect against acid.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You don't need to land on Venus' surface, just on the aerostat.

Edit: ^^yeah!

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like the next big 50s pulp sci-fi novel!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

which is the planet where there are constant giant storms with winds over 1000 mph? The storms are like the size of the US or bigger

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
We Don't Go To Ravenholm Venus Anymore

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

which is the planet where there are constant giant storms with winds over 1000 mph? The storms are like the size of the US or bigger

jupiter

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh right thanks, yeah that giant red spot is a storm that's been going on for several hundred years, and has a diameter of over 20k miles lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
god drat ancap planet

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Splicer posted:

god drat ancap planet

It's worse: these two probes were 9 and 10

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mediaphage posted:

the coolest thing about putting floating colonies on venus is how earthlike - admittedly, barring the whole acid cloud thing - it is. towards the top of the clouds, pressure and temperature are earth normal. thanks to the atmospheric density, human breathable gases are lifting gases with about half the power of helium on earth. since the pressure is equalized, any tears or rips in a colony dome wouldn't be immediately catastrophic - you'd just have gases slowly diffusing out. and humans outside of protected spaces wouldn't need to wear pressure suits, just an environmental suit to protect against acid.

This sounds much cooler than going to mars, sign me up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Feel like we discovered gigatons of organic matter floating in the atmosphere and then everyone forgot about it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

"""forgot""" ;)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Feel like we discovered gigatons of organic matter floating in the atmosphere and then everyone forgot about it.

They actually just came out and said that it was probably bullshit. :pressf:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AstronomyMag/status/1363209349938573312?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there’s an esa satellite doing a very close flyby of venus this fall in a gravity assist on its way to mercury; it’ll be interesting to see if they can pick up anything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I like Venus. I think it's probably the only real chance we have to kinda terraform another planet.

It's got near Earth gravity and a magnetosphere. I think the very low gravity, and lack of magnetosphere are going to make Mars untenable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spacetoaster posted:

I like Venus. I think it's probably the only real chance we have to kinda terraform another planet.

It's got near Earth gravity and a magnetosphere. I think the very low gravity, and lack of magnetosphere are going to make Mars untenable.

Venus has no magnetosphere. You can mitigate that with buildings on Mars.

And about 40% Earth gravity is considerable. We don’t have a good handle on how much gravity you need to avoid turning people into invalids, other than “somewhere between zero and 1 G.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Phanatic posted:

And about 40% Earth gravity is considerable. We don’t have a good handle on how much gravity you need to avoid turning people into invalids, other than “somewhere between zero and 1 G.)

moon base will help with that, hopefully.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mars is stupid and useless

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Phanatic posted:

It has an ionosphere that does basically the same thing. It's more vulnerable to solar storms, but there's a reason it has an atmosphere.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phanatic posted:

It doesn't have one like Earth does. The paper I read said it was an induced magnetosphere that offers it similar protection.

And yeah, we don't know what 38% gravity will do to fetal development, and childhood development, but my hypothesis that came from my rear end is that it probably won't be good.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Bloody posted:

mars is stupid and useless
economically, yes

scientifically, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It is scientifically pretty useless too