Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Frank Sinatra divorced Mia Farrow because she wouldn't immediately quit Rosemary's Baby halfway through production and come work on a different movie he decided he wanted to film. So, you know, that was a pretty dick move too.

From What I've read Mai Farrow, Woody Allen, and Frank Sinatra were all pretty terrible people (though only Woody Allen is a child molester).

Has it ever been confirmed that Ronan is Sinatra's son? Because like come on, there's no way he's Woody's kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cacator posted:

Has it ever been confirmed that Ronan is Sinatra's son? Because like come on, there's no way he's Woody's kid.

Honestly I don’t think Ronan has much to gain from ever confirming anything, whether he has or not. It’s not really a matter of blood.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Frank Sinatra divorced Mia Farrow because she wouldn't immediately quit Rosemary's Baby halfway through production and come work on a different movie he decided he wanted to film. So, you know, that was a pretty dick move too.

From What I've read Mai Farrow, Woody Allen, and Frank Sinatra were all pretty terrible people (though only Woody Allen is a child molester).

This is made "funnier" in that generally Sinatra/rat pack movies are the absolute driveling shits.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cacator posted:

I mean, have you ever seen the side by side? Its not like anyone needs to confirm it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ronan's like a perfect composite of Frank and Mia, and besides he's got those freaking eyes. I somehow doubt that there's much doubt within the family

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1364043885517959168?s=20

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, have you ever seen the side by side? Its not like anyone needs to confirm it.

weast
Nov 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea I think Frank was just generic old mafia connected scumbag abusive in the sense of probably being emotionally withholding and probably hit his kids and poo poo but hey dude looks like the better option now!

I feel like this is a least somewhat suspicious.

"Sinatra and Farrow met in 1964, while the actor was filming Von Ryan’s Express. Farrow at that time was the star of a new television show, Peyton Place. She was 19 and Sinatra, 49.
According to J. Randy Taraborrelli’s book, Frank Sinatra: Behind the Legend, their initial conversation was like that of any attracted couple: curious and adorably awkward.
“How old are ya, kid?” he asked her.
“That’s hardly a question to ask a lady,” she responded. “I’m just 19.”
The couple married in July of 1966 without having told most of their friends or family. Sinatra’s friend Dean Martin was reported to have told Sinatra of his new wife, “Frank, I got Scotch older than this kid!”"

Frank’s oldest daughter is 5 years older than Mia

weast fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From everything back then it seems like with celebrity men in particular you're lucky if they went after legal adults.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if the rumors about what Frank Sinatra did to Marilyn Monroe towards the end of her life are true then that puts him firmly in "monster" territory.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You are absolutely out of your mind if you don't think he's had multiple paternity tests, rich people do not gently caress around with that poo poo, there's so so so much money on the line for someone with those to potentially be his parents.

If you are at all interested in an exploration of how Hollywood got here in 2021, learning about Marilyn Monroe and how awful her life was and the level of severe depression she suffered from is a really good start.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Honestly the only way we’re ever gonna learn the truth is if John Lovett starts going around and telling everyone like he was Nora Ephron getting to the truth about Deep Throat

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1364301944156811274?s=19

This is a great article by Mara Wilson about the sexual harassment in the industry that doesn't come from the producers or creative side, but from the media and audiences.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Mara's shared some fuckin heartbreaking stories that really do well to illustrate that on set poo poo is just a fraction of the absolute disgusting poo poo that happens to women in media, even as kids.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This is a great article by Mara Wilson about the sexual harassment in the industry that doesn't come from the producers or creative side, but from the media and audiences.

Pairs well with:

https://www.thecut.com/2021/02/tavi-gevinson-britney-spears-was-never-in-control.html

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Add Gérard Depardieu to the list.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/feb/23/gerard-depardieu-charged-with-and-sexual-assault

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This first came up a couple of years ago I think. Glad they're filing charges now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know that's pretty horrible, but it sounds hilarious.

lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Her voice wasn't amplified as much as it deserved but during the whole "Cuties" thing (and wow did that drop out of public awareness like a rock) she had some really good observations that the negative consequences of being a young female in a movie/show happen regardless of any perceived sexualization during the film itself. The engine that is pop culture and mass media consumption can just as easily be the one doing the damage as a predator on set.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I'm not surprised.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He famously was charged with taking part in a gang rape when he was around 17. All that happened was he lost out on the Oscar the year an opposing studio leaked the charge to the press.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/latimesbooks/status/1364240737093574665?s=21

It’s funny, when I watched the first episode on Sunday I thought “hm, I wonder how far those fair use laws go when you’re basically using a man’s audiobook to help (deservedly) murder his reputation”

And I bet the lawyers at Woody Allen’s publisher were wondering that exact same thing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, fair use doesn't cover that stuff. Basically, as long as they used as little as needed to make a point, it's covered.

It gets a little complicated, because of that whole as little as possible thing - but I think you can make an argument that hearing it from the man himself is very different than hearing it from an actor or just seeing the words on screen.

The biggest thing for them is that it would hurt his reputation and thus the value of this work. Granted, by suing, you keep the story alive even longer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pentyne posted:

Her voice wasn't amplified as much as it deserved but during the whole "Cuties" thing (and wow did that drop out of public awareness like a rock) she had some really good observations that the negative consequences of being a young female in a movie/show happen regardless of any perceived sexualization during the film itself. The engine that is pop culture and mass media consumption can just as easily be the one doing the damage as a predator on set.

To add to this, not necessarily related to either of these cases (especially Wilson's, what she's been through is horrific and gross), is that is has to be acceptable for actresses of all ages to be attractive and/or express sexuality on screen without it being seen as an invitation to be treated as a sex object by the audience. Sexuality is a huge part of the human experience, it's necessarily going to be a part of film and literature, and we shouldn't shy away from that, but if afterwards you're thinking about sexually harassing the young actress instead of what that performance meant in context, the problem is you, not the performance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I would love to know exactly how the decision to use the audiobook was made. This doc has apparently been in the works for 3 years, and Allen’s memoir was surprise announced in March 2020 for an April 2020 release so it must have changed their plans at least a little.

Of course, then there’s the fact that originally it was to be published by the house that handled Ronan’s book, which is such a shockingly stupid decision it still baffles me. Why would ruin your relationship with one of the brightest young stars in journalism, who just won a Pulitzer Prize, to publish his gross molester father’s memoir, even if his gross molester father is Woody Allen? Regardless of how dumb it was, the fact that the Farrows were blindsided by that announcement means that they didn’t know that the memoir was actively coming and likely only got a chance to read it shortly after it was announced. There’s no way one or many of the sympathetic Hatchette employees (who were also caught off guard and ultimately successfully stood up against their employer publishing the book) didn’t make sure that the Farrows had a copy to know what was said about them. With the issues publishing I can’t imagine they thought they could plan on using that audiobook any sooner than it was commercially available (I dunno if that came when the new publisher released it as soon as they could to play off the free attention it got, or if it took longer). Woody’s book fits in so well, it makes me wonder how much rewriting they did after they found the bits where he talks about Dylan and Mia.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s like that tweet where joss whedon says some quippy poo poo and his wife goes “I’m divorcing you”

Except woody is shrugging his shoulders and droopy dogging the camera

“My new girlfriend is into Fortnite, that’s like 2 weeks! That’s how long I like to go without talking to people sometimes!”

https://twitter.com/jeremysmiles/status/1189195181909635072?s=20

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jerry Seinfeld was particularly ruined for me because Seinfeld DVDs are the show that me and my high school sweetheart really bonded over and watched and rewatched after school together.

So the idea that, at 17, the fully grown mid-30’s adult male I was watching on TV was dating someone exactly as old as my girlfriend, ugh I cannot tell you how unbelievably hosed and gross that made me feel.

I’ve listened to a ton of content about Jacko and Seinfeld and D’Elia and one thing that keeps coming up is women (and some men) who turn 25-30-35 and suddenly it hits them how fully inappropriate or completely illegal some of their sexual history is. Like when you’re 16 and the hot guy at the party takes you home and you feel like an adult and then 10 years later you’re 26 and you see a 16 year old at the mall or something and you realize how young and innocent and completely oblivious these children are and how easy it is to take advantage of them.

One of the producers of Sirius XM’s The Bonfire breaks this down a ton when talking about Cory Feldman (someone who I’m surprised we don’t talk about more ITT), she remembers being a 16 year old goth girl and hooking up with guys in her 20s at raves and shows and then when she started dating Jay Oakerson and saw his 15-16 year old daughter she was, like, overwhelmed because she realizes now how so few of her early sexual experiences were healthy or even consensual, even though she remembers wanting to do things things as a kid, because it’s what some kids imagine being an adult is like.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I recently was reading about how (according to Corey Feldman) supposedly Charlie Sheen raped Core Haim on the set of Lucas? Yikes. I never saw the documentary he was promoting last year, there's this sort of... slimy self-promoting aspect to everything Feldman does that makes me feel like I'm the sucker in some pathetic scam whenever I hear him talk about things, I don't find that too appealing.

The article also talked about how Charlie Sheen has recently been living in a Malibu trailer park - sounds more or less like he's where he belongs,

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
trailer park residents don't deserve to get lumped in with rapists

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Jerry Seinfeld was particularly ruined for me because Seinfeld DVDs are the show that me and my high school sweetheart really bonded over and watched and rewatched after school together.

So the idea that, at 17, the fully grown mid-30’s adult male I was watching on TV was dating someone exactly as old as my girlfriend, ugh I cannot tell you how unbelievably hosed and gross that made me feel.

I’ve listened to a ton of content about Jacko and Seinfeld and D’Elia and one thing that keeps coming up is women (and some men) who turn 25-30-35 and suddenly it hits them how fully inappropriate or completely illegal some of their sexual history is. Like when you’re 16 and the hot guy at the party takes you home and you feel like an adult and then 10 years later you’re 26 and you see a 16 year old at the mall or something and you realize how young and innocent and completely oblivious these children are and how easy it is to take advantage of them.

One of the producers of Sirius XM’s The Bonfire breaks this down a ton when talking about Cory Feldman (someone who I’m surprised we don’t talk about more ITT), she remembers being a 16 year old goth girl and hooking up with guys in her 20s at raves and shows and then when she started dating Jay Oakerson and saw his 15-16 year old daughter she was, like, overwhelmed because she realizes now how so few of her early sexual experiences were healthy or even consensual, even though she remembers wanting to do things things as a kid, because it’s what some kids imagine being an adult is like.

This piece by Tavi Gevinson about the man who assaulted her is about exactly that thing, and also looks at the recent increase in attention paid to how the media viewed Britney Spears when she first got big as a teenager

https://twitter.com/anomalisas/status/1364245954421997572?s=21

She talks about how adult men are able to manipulate beliefs that a lot of people have come to associate with being good and progressive and muddying the difference between power and currency in a patriarchal society, re: traditional standards of beauty.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The timing makes it almost certain Tavi's describing Ezra Koenig

https://twitter.com/ianamurray/status/1364536904356626434

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah gently caress, the singer of Vampire Weekend?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Having watched the first episode of Allen v. Farrow and read a bunch of the articles about it from people who have seen all four episodes, there's something I'm having trouble finding a good answer to:

Were ALL of the records from the custody case unsealed in 2014 and people mostly just paid attention to the judge's final ruling? Meaning, was purported new information from the transcripts (like it being clear that Woody and Soon-Yi's...thing started when she was in high school) something that someone should have pulled 7 years ago? Or was it something that only became available as the documentary was being worked on? Or was it stuff that only Mia and Woody had access to?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

davidbix posted:

Having watched the first episode of Allen v. Farrow and read a bunch of the articles about it from people who have seen all four episodes, there's something I'm having trouble finding a good answer to:

Were ALL of the records from the custody case unsealed in 2014 and people mostly just paid attention to the judge's final ruling? Meaning, was purported new information from the transcripts (like it being clear that Woody and Soon-Yi's...thing started when she was in high school) something that someone should have pulled 7 years ago? Or was it something that only became available as the documentary was being worked on? Or was it stuff that only Mia and Woody had access to?

The impression I get of the timeline is something like this:

*in early 2014, Woody won a lifetime award from the Golden Globes. People, including Ronan Farrow, called out the HFPA, who have always been and will always be a bunch of amoral starfuckers who care more about ratings or money than dignity or objectivity.
*a month later, Dylan wrote her open letter on a NYT blog, and Woody wrote a response in the Times proper.
*around this time, Radar Online got a copy of the Yale/New Haven report (that alleged that Mia made it up and incepted Dylan into believing it) and posted it online.
*within a week, someone else leaked a copy of the custody findings to The Huffington Post.

These last two don’t seem like instances of something being uncovered or unsealed, but of something being released/leaked to a friendly publication, the first report by Allen’s team to a tabloid and the second, the custody findings, by the Farrows to HuffPo. They had been referenced by people who were in positions to have read them in an official capacity but had never been accessible to the public, and weren’t released in an official capacity. I don’t think full transcripts are available publicly beyond rulings in the initial custody trial and the appeal. It seems like something that the doc had access to through the Farrows

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

The impression I get of the timeline is something like this:

*in early 2014, Woody won a lifetime award from the Golden Globes. People, including Ronan Farrow, called out the HFPA, who have always been and will always be a bunch of amoral starfuckers who care more about ratings or money than dignity or objectivity.
*a month later, Dylan wrote her open letter on a NYT blog, and Woody wrote a response in the Times proper.
*around this time, Radar Online got a copy of the Yale/New Haven report (that alleged that Mia made it up and incepted Dylan into believing it) and posted it online.
*within a week, someone else leaked a copy of the custody findings to The Huffington Post.
Reading the HuffPost article, especially from a journalistic eye, I don't get the impression that the 1993 ruling was sealed: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/heres-the-1993-woody-alle_b_4746866

The Huffington Post has obtained the 1993 court ruling denying Woody Allen custody of his three children with Mia Farrow. The ruling, which has been referenced often but has not yet appeared in full online, sheds some light on several questions surrounding Dylan Farrow’s allegations that Allen molested her when she was seven years old.

No reference to "sealed," "recently unsealed" etc, while also noting that the ruling "has been referenced often but has not yet appeared in full online." To me, this sounds like "this has been available from the court the whole time and was cited in past reporting, but was never available online."

That said...

quote:

These last two don’t seem like instances of something being uncovered or unsealed, but of something being released/leaked to a friendly publication, the first report by Allen’s team to a tabloid and the second, the custody findings, by the Farrows to HuffPo. They had been referenced by people who were in positions to have read them in an official capacity but had never been accessible to the public, and weren’t released in an official capacity. I don’t think full transcripts are available publicly beyond rulings in the initial custody trial and the appeal. It seems like something that the doc had access to through the Farrows.
...I found this Hollywood Reporter article from last week:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/allen-v-farrow-inside-amy-ziering-and-kirby-dicks-explosive-hbo-docuseries

Herdy continued the conversation with Dylan and discovered some court records associated with her case that had never been made public. "I called her and I said, 'I think there is so much more to your story, and I feel that you're being, rightfully so, very guarded, and I really need you to try to trust me and open up and tell me everything that you possibly can because I would like to dive down the rabbit hole with you on this,' " Herdy remembers. "There was a brief hesitation, and then she said, 'Let's do it.' So that day she started giving me names — 'This person can corroborate this, and this person knows about this, and this person was a friend of the family and they saw this.' "

[...]

As time went on, Mia became more engaged and opened up her basement to Herdy, who found audiotapes recorded by Mia. All the while, Herdy worked her own sources involved with the twin investigations looking into the molestation claims — one in Connecticut and one in New York City — as well as the custody case. (As the allegations swirled, Allen sued for custody of Dylan and Moses Farrow in a case he eventually lost.) [b]"There were several sets of records reflecting different aspects of this case. I started trying to ferret out where they were and how to get them. And there was more than one method of getting them, and I think that is pretty much all that I can say about that," says Herdy. "But we were uncovering documents that no one had seen before."

I'm...not sure what I make of that. "Court records...that had never been made public" can be read both as "the records were not public record" (in the "was it available from the courthouse" sense) and as "the records were never covered in the media." And then the later comment seems specific to the documents from the investigations by police and social services. But if Herdy got sealed documents or other things that she "shouldn't" have been able to get, I feel like Allen might have brought that up?

Maybe we'll get a better idea when they actually break out this stuff in the future episodes that critics have seen? But as someone who kind of specializes is finding things in court records and other public records that have been ignored by other reporters in the past, this is something I'd really like SOME kind of substantive answer to. If just because "actually, any reporter could have found these additional, damning, corroborated details given under oath" would be a massive indictment of reporters/outlets who had covered the story in the past.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Episode 2 of Allen v. Farrow aired tonight and included the court testimony about how Woody/Soon-Yi actually started while she was still in high school. If you didn't have any advance foreknowledge, they don't exactly hit you over the head with the fact that this information.

I'm guessing the transcripts were something that Mia had or something they got from the court reporter who still happened to have them? The latter is a thing that absolutely happened, and since I've gotten transcripts from a court reporter that didn't redact any of the sealed sidebars etc. like he was supposed to. So I can totally see a possibility where they tracked down the court reporter and what he turned over had stuff that wasn't supposed to be freely available, maybe even unknowingly, and the producers didn't want to risk any thunder being brought down on them.

Either way, I'd like SOME kind of better idea, just to get an idea of if there was any journalistic malpractice in that stuff not being surfaced sooner.

Also: I do feel like this should greatly lessen the "woman scorned" narrative for Mia if weighed properly. She had spoken to three witnesses who attested to Woody/Soon-Yi starting when she was in high school, all of whom later confirmed their accounts under oath during the custody case. If she was just out to ruin Allen, whether publicly or personally, wouldn't she have leaked this particularly damning bit of information sooner than almost 3 decades after the fact?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How many episodes is that going to be? I usually wait for the entire thing to be finished before watching.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
It's 4 parts.

But speaking as someone that just watched the Michael Jackson doc in one go you might want to spread them out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched that a couple weeks ago. Ghastly poo poo.

I should clarify, I usually watch maybe one episode a day. I just hate waiting weekly for shows.

I highly recommend The Lady and the Dale on HBO if you want something considerably lighter after Leaving Neverland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what's the main takeaway for those who haven't watched Neverland