Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I like Royalty and the empire faction but it could probably be more fleshed out. Most of us build colonies with fabulous wealth and it's not hard to max out royal titles, and yet the Empire never taxes your pawn or makes demands? It really needs more quests or incidents to flesh out the Empire. As it is right now I have no idea what rank my royalty holds or how it relates to anything other than a psy link level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

My throne rooms are also the eating and recreation halls, so it just gets a bit longer and some thrones get shoved at the end.

That's the thing, you already want to build a fancy main hall because rec/eating buffs are really useful, so just adding a throne to it isn't much extra work.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Meanwhile, the base game is still lousy with bad UI, quality-of-life, and balance/design issues, such that you really have to install like at least 15-20 mods just to get a lot of basic things working the way they should... And that's not even touching on some pretty obvious features which really seem like they should've been in the game a long time ago, like the giddy-up mod, and fishing

I wonder if he's discouraged from fixing a lot of the problems with the base game because the modders have already done so much of the work, and made it feel redundant...?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Katt posted:

It's such a weirdly specific DLC. There's neat stuff in the DLC but building it around nobility is odd as hell. They could have called it the fortress DLC or whatever and had the exact same content but thrown in some more defensive structures.

That or given us some option on what type of leadership. Instead of literal royalty on loving thrones with pianos and braziers. Let me have a veteran military officer in a command centre or a tribal leader or a political figure. Anything but loving thrones and pianos.

he was aping dwarf fortress and making its noble system, but playable

theres 5 devs compared to like the prt time equivalent of 100 devs in the mod community, dont expect dlc quality to compare to the mod quality lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: double post

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

boar guy posted:

yeah Nobility really turned out to be a wet fart, unfortunately
I love the quests. I do wonder if they replace some of the base quests; I haven't gotten offered a vancometric generator since I started using the expansion.

I am relieved to hear that many people don't bother building a ship; I always feel I'm Doing It Wrong, which is pretty ridiculous in Rimworld.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only thing they should do which only tge core devs can do is concurrent mod loading or some poo poo to improve mod loading speeds by a lot

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
building a ship is a way to have the game end in a real way rather than having it just sort of drag on until you get bored and quit, and i'm constantly confused that people seemingly resent its existence in this way

like it's not hard. just don't build it. your canon ending is that your group carved out a glittertech splinter society on a rimworld and lived the rest of their existence in opulence and comfort, sitting upon their gleaming thrones and passing judgement on all of the lesser fools that have mere outlander technology, or, god forbid, those unwashed tribals. it's totally fine. but mechanically some folks like a way to see 'game over' that doesn't involve everyone dying in a hail of bullets or choking on toxic fallout. the ship provides closure for my games of rimworld that i never get in dwarf fortress and i'm happy it exists.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Coolguye posted:

building a ship is a way to have the game end in a real way rather than having it just sort of drag on until you get bored and quit, and i'm constantly confused that people seemingly resent its existence in this way

:same:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a more developed strategic layer and posssibly a vehicle system would be a good addition that modders seem to not really be able to do.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

How about the option to copy outfits and food restrictions etc?

Or even enable the above for prisoners.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I think a more developed strategic layer and posssibly a vehicle system would be a good addition that modders seem to not really be able to do.

au contraire, the modders have 3 separate developed strategic systems and 4 separate vehicle systems

maybe they need to fic the bugs in those systems but lol

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I pretty much just ignore the royalty stuff whenever it pops up, the psychic powers all seem very pointless for how much effort you have to put forth to get them. They can be very powerful, but they're not as powerful as just correctly running a colony with a proper killbox setup.

Like, rimworld of magic is right there if you want to make wizards, and it's a lot more fun. If Tynan wanted to only develop things that modders haven't already made, he picked a weird DLC to start with.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

There's a psy power that causes every single living creature on the whole map except those near the caster to go berserk and kill one another.

The psy powers I like are the personal ones like the one that stops mental breaks or improves mood.

There's also one that instantly gives the pawn a suitable inspiration and if you have a pawn with a passion for art and little else that person will have a creative inspiration almost every single time and you can use that to churn out master/legendary grand marble/jade statues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

au contraire, the modders have 3 separate developed strategic systems and 4 separate vehicle systems

maybe they need to fic the bugs in those systems but lol

Ehhh, I haven't yet found one of either that isn't fairly janky. SRTS is about the best I've seen and even that isn't great, it's just a glorified pod launcher, I mean I think it would be nice to have things like actual vehicles that take up multiple tiles, and which can be crewed and armed and function in combat. It's a bit weird that everything is functionally one tile in size IMO. Also for the strategic layer I would like more things that have areas of effect on the map, as well as for map terrain to have more of a role, and for things like raids and caravans to have proper presence on the map and be interactable based on your ability to spot them, also if you could actually set up your strategic presence on the map,establishing lookouts and satellite bases to monitor and harvest areas of the map. There are mods that try to do that but none of them do it especially well, IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 24, 2021

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The 'royalty' part of Royalty feels off for the setting. He's mentioned since then and made some actual changes to position the Empire as more of an order of mystics with stuff like the bestower, but that really conflicts with your nobles wanting jaunty hats and pianos. If instead of that stuff you had to build a temple with meditation aids to power up your psychics and divorce that from the leadership part, it might feel better. The tradeoff of having a colonist turn into a weirdo hermit who spends all day meditating in a temple built to exacting standards but them having immense psionic power would be cool.
Permits and stuff make sense as a thing you get for dealing with the empire, but even then it feels like there could be more variety. The above mention of different leader types would be neat, perhaps each faction in the game could give their own variation on permits, or weirder ones like building on the mention of anima trees being a planetary consciousness - make sacrifices to the tree, get the ability to spawn friendly manhunter packs or spontaneously grow ambrosia. Commune with a mechanoid AI and do weird stuff for it, get to drop mechanoid clusters on top of raids or get supplies of components.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its dune

its just dune

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Dune emperors home planet was a nuclear wasteland and the source of his power was that they dumped prisoners there and then let them go full Darwinism. Then the survivors were recruited as elite soldiers.

After he was overthrown he was banished to actually live there and he complained about what a shithole it was so the planet was terraformed into a habitable place which robbed his family of their elite soldier recruitment scheme (which was the whole point of such a benevolent project in the first place)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Razakai posted:

The 'royalty' part of Royalty feels off for the setting. He's mentioned since then and made some actual changes to position the Empire as more of an order of mystics with stuff like the bestower, but that really conflicts with your nobles wanting jaunty hats and pianos. If instead of that stuff you had to build a temple with meditation aids to power up your psychics and divorce that from the leadership part, it might feel better. The tradeoff of having a colonist turn into a weirdo hermit who spends all day meditating in a temple built to exacting standards but them having immense psionic power would be cool.
Permits and stuff make sense as a thing you get for dealing with the empire, but even then it feels like there could be more variety. The above mention of different leader types would be neat, perhaps each faction in the game could give their own variation on permits, or weirder ones like building on the mention of anima trees being a planetary consciousness - make sacrifices to the tree, get the ability to spawn friendly manhunter packs or spontaneously grow ambrosia. Commune with a mechanoid AI and do weird stuff for it, get to drop mechanoid clusters on top of raids or get supplies of components.

So... yeah. The thing about the fluff is that I remember in the little story document linked in the game specifically stated that large empires were extremely impractical in setting, because there is no FTL technology. You're stuck with sublight speeds and even at appreciable fractions of c it takes generations to get anywhere. Ancient empires on Earth rose and fell on their infrastructure, and if you can't communicate and project power quickly with the periphery, you're gonna have a hard time keeping central authority. So if "empires" formed, they tended to be single system or a cluster of stars near each other that the trip could be made in decades rather than centuries.

Most of the time though, intergalactic centralized power was impossible. TBH I even have a hard time suspending belief for trade ships. If someone on planet A, 100 LY from planet B, orders 500 assault rifles, by the time the rifles get there whatever they were going to be used for (and the people who bought them) are probably dead.

The setting conceit of no FTL is really good for explaining why you can't just build a big fuckoff radio and broadcast a distress message so someone will pick you up. It's not great for explaining why people are traveling from point A to point B for any reason other than starting a new colony in the first place. If you crash at point C and there's no meaningful difference between B and C for the pawns... why bother getting back into space?

This is kinda mixing the "why ship ending?" and "why royalty?" thoughts, but if Tynan is sticking to his original fluff, both are kinda non-sensical.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you host the stellarch, not the emperor. stellarch just stays in the system

and the empire is turboconservative even if they are glittertech, so that would be why

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
My last stellarch became a cultist, a cannibal and a drug addict; it was good fun. I'm a bit sad I can't invite him again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Razakai posted:

If instead of that stuff you had to build a temple with meditation aids to power up your psychics and divorce that from the leadership part, it might feel better. The tradeoff of having a colonist turn into a weirdo hermit who spends all day meditating in a temple built to exacting standards but them having immense psionic power would be cool.
Allow me to introduce you to Amazing Cultivation Simulator.

Did somebody mention that there's a better garbage collection (or better cache clearing) mod? I backtracked in the thread and can't find it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I pretty much just ignore the royalty stuff whenever it pops up, the psychic powers all seem very pointless for how much effort you have to put forth to get them. They can be very powerful, but they're not as powerful as just correctly running a colony with a proper killbox setup.

Like, rimworld of magic is right there if you want to make wizards, and it's a lot more fun. If Tynan wanted to only develop things that modders haven't already made, he picked a weird DLC to start with.

Things like Farskip are not replicatable by "just correctly running a colony".

I'll grant that psy powers are not a core requirement for a successful colony, but many of them are basically cheat codes.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

At what point in the game do you guys start experiencing poor performance? I'm running about 100 mods, most of the popular ones like SoS2, CE, GiddyUp, Android, etc. After a year and a half my colony starts to run lovely. I get around 160TPS at 3x speed. Am I keeping too much in stockpiles? Or is it the mods doing it? I'd love to get Rimthreaded running, but it still seems too limited to the mods you can use. Or better yet, is there a list anywhere of what mods are heaviest on performance? I'd think pathfinding ones are a large hit.

papersack fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 25, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Me offloading like 95% of my stockpiled to passing trade ships definitely gives my game a performance boost.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Not all mods are coded equal.

Luckily my bookmarks had a search feature and I was able to find this old gem: Slow Mods. It convinced me to uninstall Android Tiers and I noticed an immediate and dramatic FPS boost.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That thing's a godsend, and not just because it tells you what's hosed, but it seems to light a fire under the asses of any author whose mod pops up there. Rimworld's modding community rules, the ones still active anyway. The Vanilla Expanded team, especially, seems to be very proactive at addressing that sorta stuff. I use RimHUD and saw no issues even though I saw it on that list, went and checked? Thing was reported as being problematic on that list as of 1/28, mod updated 1/30 with a fix. That's just plain awesome, IMO. (and, although TD Enhancement Pack is on that list, I'm not seeing any issues with it for the benefits it brings to the table, even with any given overlay activated) Though I haven't gotten too far into a game yet, Rim War seems to be playable right now, at least with the settings I threw at it that are roughly halfway between default and performance mode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did somebody mention that there's a better garbage collection (or better cache clearing) mod? I backtracked in the thread and can't find it.

We talkin' for fixing later-game issues with, like, pawn families and the like? RimmsQOL can disable animal family relationship generation, for what that'll help in the long run. Then the things I know about that help performance, though not with regards to that specifically, are RocketMan and Dub's Performance Analyzer, though I use neither since I haven't encountered any issues as of yet in performance with the current mod loadout (175, woo, only takes 75 seconds to boot up!). And I think RuntimeGC popped up with an unofficial update recently?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It did, and it feels like its good at gaining some extra performance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a place to see a colonist's beauty? I don't see it in stats.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Is there a place to see a colonist's beauty? I don't see it in stats.

It’s just in the traits. If their traits don’t say they are ugly or beautiful, they’re just average.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, hell. Allow Tool is on the Slow Mods list, and I can't live without it.

Beautiful/Ugly is going to show up on the Bio popup window if it's relevant. I use the Beauty and Ugly mod because it's fun to see the pawns have weird faces.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I do wish the Editable Backstories mod was updated for 1.2 to delete some possible backstories. Aside from dumb backer ones, there's stuff like my new colonist:

Not pictured, she also has asthma. Combined with Uncouth making her terrible at social stuff, she's basically entirely useless outside of making art, which isn't ideal for a new colony.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Razakai posted:

\Not pictured, she also has asthma. Combined with Uncouth making her terrible at social stuff, she's basically entirely useless outside of making art, which isn't ideal for a new colony.

What's uncouth do to social stuff?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Slow Mods is a guide, not a rulebook. I still use Allow Tool, the fps drop comes from using the priority haul tool usually. Suits me just fine because I'll take several seconds of fps loss once every several minutes(or longer) for the precision it allows.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

HelloSailorSign posted:

What's uncouth do to social stuff?

Its from KV Traits mod. -20% to social impact and diplomatic power iirc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Razakai posted:

Its from KV Traits mod. -20% to social impact and diplomatic power iirc.

Hmm... not good as a warden, but maybe okay as an entertainer for Hospitality mod? Stick an artistic bench (sculpting bench or a tailor's bench if you got rugs) in the rec room, have the guests a side room off that and otherwise only allowed there and rec room (and bathroom), have them high priority engaging with guests and otherwise making art?

Though your colony ain't even at that part of the game, and with a lack of dumb labor... ouch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Apparently the new RuntimeGC is only available through RimworldBase, which insists that I turn off my adblocker even though it's off. This happens both on Chrome and Netscape.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
No, it's on the steam workshop. Just searching for "runtime" will bring up RuntimeGC Unofficial 1.2 FORK as the 2nd result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What's everybody's thoughts on Colony Groups? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2345493945

I've been dicking around with it and, uh, wow. This has FUNCTIONALITY. Like, customizable/configurable out the wazoo and with some semi-unique functionality that is really helpful. Icons for groupings (I dunno about pawns themselves yet, still tinkering), the ability to manage said groups pretty quickly and effortlessly (scheduling, work priorities, orders, etc.). Pretty nice! Certainly better than my old go-to of KF Colonist Bar, with the bonus of not being a performance problem.