Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

58 and 53 TB on my Mac Mini I bought last summer just before the M1 came out. Has been on Big Sur since.... a month or so after it was released to retail? Maybe a bit more after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think most of the SSDs are rated for at least 500 tb but the smaller SSDs (under 1tb) don't last as long

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe it's Big Sur related? This is from an almost 4 year old iMac that's stuck on Mojave.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
My bet is that it's all down to swapping.

My 16GB M1 Air, showing 0.01TB more written than what I previously reported:

Data Units Read: 16,303,897 [8.34 TB]
Data Units Written: 7,304,932 [3.74 TB]

read:write ratio = 2.23:1

Here's Nitrousoxide's 8GB M1:

Data Units Read: 80,811,470 [41.3 TB]
Data Units Written: 66,062,034 [33.8 TB]

read:write ratio = 1.22:1

Normal desktop use should skew heavily towards reading. However, when the system is swapping heavily, the ratio gets pulled back towards 1:1 since in theory every write to swap is balanced by a future read of the data which got swapped out. The fact that Nitrousoxide's ratio is much closer to 1:1 than mine suggests swapping as the culprit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

macOS's VM scheme has always been a bit agressive IMHO, I used to wonder why launching TextEdit on top of a few browser windows suddenly opens up a swap file when I have at least a few GB free..

Something that I saw online in one of the many articles about this topic: that Apple's SSD controller isn't necessarily doing things the way standard industry SSD controllers do, so that it's possible that the TBW/TBR figures we're seeing are way off base. Apple probably never figured that there'd be people who'd look that deep into their devices (or didn't care)

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does anyone else Firefox constantly freeze on a M1 Mac mini after wake from sleep?
Yep, also when moving between desktops.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Something that I saw online in one of the many articles about this topic: that Apple's SSD controller isn't necessarily doing things the way standard industry SSD controllers do, so that it's possible that the TBW/TBR figures we're seeing are way off base. Apple probably never figured that there'd be people who'd look that deep into their devices (or didn't care)

Nah, I just did some testing and it looks like Apple's reporting units are the same as this random NVMe SSD I googled up:

https://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/MKP_521.6_SMART-DCP1000_attribute.pdf

Kingston documents that 1 count in Data Units Read or Written is equivalent to 512*1000 bytes, so I did this to look at how Data Units Read changes after reading a large file (and dumping it to /dev/null):

smartctl -A /dev/disk0 ; dd if=Install_macOS_11.1-20C69.dmg of=/dev/null bs=128k ; smartctl -A /dev/disk0

I got a change of 23866 Data Units Read, which is slightly more than 23861.9, the size of that disk image in units of 512*1000 bytes. Since I see Data Units Read going up by small amounts due to background activity all the time, we can ignore the small excess.

(note: Run "sudo purge" just prior to running a test like this, it tells macOS to flush its disk caches. Caching can throw tests like this off in a big way.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

p.s. Another thing from that Kingston document is that NVME SMART attribute 05, "Percentage Used", is:

Contains a vendor specific estimate of the percentage of NVM subsystem life used based on the actual usage and the manufacturer’s prediction of NVM life. A value of 100 indicates that the estimated endurance of the NVM in the NVM subsystem has been consumed, but may not indicate an NVM subsystem failure. The value is allowed to exceed 100. Percentages greater than 254 shall be represented as 255. This value shall be updated once per power-on hour (when the controller is not in a sleep state).

Nitrousoxide's at estimated 2% lifespan used, I'm at sub-1% (mine shows as 0). I wouldn't be super happy about losing 2% lifespan in 3 months, but on the other hand 50 * 1/4 yr = 12.5 years life at their current lifespan use rate. Which can probably be improved by figuring out how to use less RAM.

(if you haven't ditched Chrome for Safari, Nitrousoxide, hint hint hint)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I use Firefox. Safari was actually giving me out of memory errors and crashing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It's crazy that iOS games on my m1 air look better in some ways than ps4 games on my 4k tv. Sonic Racing looks so vibrant, sharp, and smooth with the high fps. I think it's because I haven't had a quality display before.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Your Air does have that Retina Display and its requisite high color gamut that your 4K TV can't really match, so..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Your Air does have that Retina Display and its requisite high color gamut that your 4K TV can't really match, so..

Bonus points if your TV was a $450 Walmart black friday special

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
God drat, I've been bitten by the 2018 MBP Big Sur battery problem too. It was never *great* but gently caress's sake I should be able to get more than a percentage of battery per minute at 75% brightness on a goddamn zoom call with the discreet GPU off.

81% health, 229 cycles.

e: christ I didn't even have an iTerm or wireguard session open just outlook and slack

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 24, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crunchy Black posted:

God drat, I've been bitten by the 2018 MBP Big Sur battery problem too. It was never *great* but gently caress's sake I should be able to get more than a percentage of battery per minute at 75% brightness on a goddamn zoom call with the discreet GPU off.

81% health, 229 cycles.

e: christ I didn't even have an iTerm or wireguard session open just outlook and slack

Post the 'power' tab (or energy or whatever they call) it from Activity Monitor

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How much bullshit are apple people willing to deal with? Infinite.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bob Morales posted:

Post the 'power' tab (or energy or whatever they call) it from Activity Monitor

I had *just* gotten a slack message within the second.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Upgrading to 11.2.1 is supposed to fix it, if you haven't already.

If it's still not fixed, you could try bringing it in to Apple, but the recall program is for 2016 and 2017 models.. but I bet you could make a case with that low cycle count and battery capacity.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

I had *just* gotten a slack message within the second.

Zoom is having it's way with your computer.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Upgrading to 11.2.1 is supposed to fix it, if you haven't already.

If it's still not fixed, you could try bringing it in to Apple, but the recall program is for 2016 and 2017 models.. but I bet you could make a case with that low cycle count and battery capacity.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163

surprisingly allowed by my JAMF policy. I'll try that now, thanks!

e: the update process has hung lol

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks touchbar, found out that I gently rest my ring finger on the F1 key and pivot my hand around that to touch type about 20% of the time

Never heard the error bell noise in the terminal so often :psyduck:

Get hosed, Johnny Ive

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Thanks touchbar, found out that I gently rest my ring finger on the F1 key and pivot my hand around that to touch type about 20% of the time

Never heard the error bell noise in the terminal so often :psyduck:

Get hosed, Johnny Ive

Um I don't like the touchbar either but

Touch typing, you are doing it wrong

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Using the home row with my hosed up Johnny scizzor-hands fingers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/24/prosser-imac-colors-mac-pro-to-resemble-mac-minis/

that Mac Pro design looks boring as a motherfucker compared to the current model but I’ll take it if the iMac rumor is true

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
and give me MBPs to match the iMacs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mega-cheesegrater, we hardly knew ye, I guess? And what about all the vaunted expandability that was its whole purpose? Back to trashcan land?

Lol at "nostalgia" for colored iMacs though, since the iMac itself was about 1984 Mac nostalgia

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Mega-cheesegrater, we hardly knew ye, I guess? And what about all the vaunted expandability that was its whole purpose? Back to trashcan land?

Lol at "nostalgia" for colored iMacs though, since the iMac itself was about 1984 Mac nostalgia

give it to me in stupid colors Apple, and I’ll forgive ye for killing off the most interesting surface detailing ye’ve created yet

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You can finally get an iMac that blends in perfectly to that retro 1950s style kitchen I've always dreamed about.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

The Lord Bude posted:

You can finally get an iMac that blends in perfectly to that retro 1950s style kitchen I've always dreamed about.

smegmac sounds kinda gross tbh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hello Spaceman posted:

smegmac sounds kinda gross tbh

Very good sir.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I like my Magic Mouse 2 but it's been dropped a few too many times, it's getting a little jittery and I have to think about replacing it. If I like the feel and functionality of the MM2, especially multi-touch, what alternatives are there that don't cost upwards of $70 (or $90 for the black one :rolleyes:)?

Come to think of it I'd love a mouse that's not so damned finicky about the surface it's on. Too rough? Magic Mouse won't work. Too smooth? Also won't work.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 25, 2021

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I like my Magic Mouse 2 but it's been dropped a few too many times, it's getting a little jittery and I have to think about replacing it. If I like the feel and functionality of the MM2, especially multi-touch, what alternatives are there that don't cost upwards of $70 (or $90 for the black one :rolleyes:)?

There's really not much out there like it (other than magic trackpads). I'd just post on SA mart or check eBay and see if someone has one they don't want that came with their new computer. The divisiveness of the device is an advantage in this case.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Since current USB naming conventions are so confusing now, what should I look for when buying an external ssd that fully utilizes the data transfer speeds of an m1 macbook air? Any drive on amazon that says USB 3.2?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Get a thunderbolt drive or enclosure. USB 3 causes interference with Bluetooth and wireless networking, and a thunderbolt drive is a requirement if you want to boot from it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Since current USB naming conventions are so confusing now, what should I look for when buying an external ssd that fully utilizes the data transfer speeds of an m1 macbook air? Any drive on amazon that says USB 3.2?

Just read the specs and see if it says 5, 10 or 20gbps. If it's name brand it'll tell you the supported speed

Thunderbolt 3 enclosures are kind of a dubious suggestion at this point; Thunderbolt 4 technically offers support for TB3 devices but is not required so there's a good chance that M2 macs and forward won't offer it, leaving you with a bunch of very expensive bricks, much like my old FireWire gear

Thunderbolt 4 is new enough that there's only a handful of devices and not readily available to consumers yet. 5/10/20gbps usb 3 devices will be fully backwards compatible

That said if money is no object, no question, buy the 40gbps TB3 gear now, but plan to upgrade in two years

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm regretting not springing for the 16gb of RAM in my M1 MBP. I find myself consistently at ~7GB with Plex + a handful of tabs open going. It doesn't take much at all to push me up against the limit and cause stuttering.

Kinda disappointed in that...but idk - maybe it's Firefox's fault? Either way I'm gonna eye a fall trade-in probably.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

16 gigs should be the default for all macs

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Just read the specs and see if it says 5, 10 or 20gbps. If it's name brand it'll tell you the supported speed

Thunderbolt 3 enclosures are kind of a dubious suggestion at this point; Thunderbolt 4 technically offers support for TB3 devices but is not required so there's a good chance that M2 macs and forward won't offer it, leaving you with a bunch of very expensive bricks, much like my old FireWire gear

Thunderbolt 4 is new enough that there's only a handful of devices and not readily available to consumers yet. 5/10/20gbps usb 3 devices will be fully backwards compatible

That said if money is no object, no question, buy the 40gbps TB3 gear now, but plan to upgrade in two years

No. Bad Hadlock. Don't do this. I have no idea how you got the idea that TB4 doesn't require backcompat with TB3 devices.

In many ways, TB4 is kind of a nothingburger. Same connector, same signaling, same cabling, same data rates, same protocol. Very little has changed from TB3.

Mostly it's just a bump in the minimum feature requirements on TB4 ports. For example, it was already possible to drive two 4K or one 8K displays from a single TB3 port, but manufacturers were free to support less. TB4 makes two 4K or one 8K an absolute requirement. If you sell a computer with a TB port which can't meet that spec, it has to be marked as TB3 rather than TB4.

I chose that example deliberately - people think it's a key reason why Apple couldn't list M1 Macs as having Thunderbolt 4. The M1 can only drive one video stream out on a TB port.

TB4 and TB3 are so close to each other that I expect TB4 labeled devices will work just fine on TB3 ports.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BobHoward posted:

No. Bad Hadlock. Don't do this. I have no idea how you got the idea that TB4 doesn't require backcompat with TB3 devices.

It's explicitly called out in the draft spec published last year as optional. Maybe it's required in the final spec?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm regretting not springing for the 16gb of RAM in my M1 MBP. I find myself consistently at ~7GB with Plex + a handful of tabs open going. It doesn't take much at all to push me up against the limit and cause stuttering.

Kinda disappointed in that...but idk - maybe it's Firefox's fault? Either way I'm gonna eye a fall trade-in probably.

Are you outside of the return window? Sorry man but you're making me feel better about springing for a 16GB MBP which is on its way. Good to know I won't be hitting the swap too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

It's explicitly called out in the draft spec published last year as optional. Maybe it's required in the final spec?

I admit I did not look at the spec. Still seems very unlikely for incompatibility to develop since so little has changed about how things communicate on the bus.

e: haven't found a place where the draft or release spec are posted to the public, but this PR:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/introducing-thunderbolt-4-universal-cable-connectivity-everyone/

says that TB4 "is fully compatible with prior generations of Thunderbolt and USB products."

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 26, 2021