Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Knick is so good, shout out to the 150 people that watched it when it aired

e: new page snipe

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:bandwagon:

The Knick and its score was one of my favorites of the decade! One of the few shows I went to the effort of owning on Bluray! Cinemax did a free trial where they put the first three episodes on HBO during the original run and...well...they got their :10bux::10bux::10bux: out of me.
:homebrew:

Show loving rules. :hai:

Cocaine! :haw:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

"It's truly a miracle! You'll feel absolutely nothing in your leg, and absolutely wonderful everywhere else!"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With all this high praise, looks like I'll be checking out The Knick tonight.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hughmoris posted:

With all this high praise, looks like I'll be checking out The Knick tonight.

I think it's one of those shows like Treme where nobody watched it because of the name. I certainly had no idea what it was even about

Edit: it's also orders of magnitude better than Cinemax is typically known for. It's literally better than most HBO shows in terms of production value and quality

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's not about basketball? Huh. Kind of a bad name then honestly.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'd heard of Banshee for years but I had no idea Anthony Starr was the lead. Apparently he's now one of those actors that nudges a thing from check it out eventuality for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I also think that the reason why many didn't check it out it's that pretty much no one has cinemax.

I'm not even clear why cinemax still exists. With everything that ATT has chopped and put under the HBO Max umbrella, it's weird this extra movie channel is still around since they have basically cancelled original content.

I can't imagine a movie only premium channel is something many are subscribing to with every other content source out there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

It's not about basketball? Huh. Kind of a bad name then honestly.

Not as bad as The Alienist.

Being historically accurate doesn't make for good marketing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

All live-action dubs suck

The weirdest dub I can think of is the first Mad Max movie which is an English language film but they dubbed it with American actors.

To be fair I can't understand half of anything anyone says in that movie.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Look at all you guys making GBS threads on dubs even though Comrade Detective was a perfectly fine show with dubs

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Is that show good? I'd been eyeing it

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Simone Magus posted:

Is that show good? I'd been eyeing it

I thought the first season was decent, didn't care much for the second one.

The Knick is on our list for 'new' show to watch after dinner.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

I had always assumed that show was yet another procedural where a not-cop helps the cops (ala Sherlock holmes anything, castle, psych, the blacklist, and 8 billion others), but this time with aliens for some reason.

After googling it, it seems I was basically right, but without the aliens. Which is moderately disappointing.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The Knick is extremely good, but the S2 plotline about Gallinger's baby/wife still haunts me more than just about any other TV storyline I've ever seen. I don't know why it's stuck with me the way it has, but yeah, even years later I still think about it from time to time and get super bummed-out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1364684075521380352?s=20

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I didn't realize they were still trying to make a HALO tv show. Feels like they announced that back in 2012.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Hughmoris posted:

I didn't realize they were still trying to make a HALO tv show. Feels like they announced that back in 2012.

it's actually been filming for a while, though i think production wound up getting disrupted by COVID

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Literally who is anticipating a Halo TV show lmao

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

this move makes a lot of sense, insofar as it makes any sense to produce a big-budget adaptation of a video game franchise whose cultural relevance peaked around 2007. Never understood how it fit the Showtime brand at all, but for a streaming upstart best known for Star Trek that wants more big-budget genre fare to grow its audience, it's at least a somewhat better fit

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Does the suit jerk master chef off in this one too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pablo Schreiber is playing Master Chief on the Halo series. They're also doing a weird thing where they have Natascha McElhone playing Dr Halsey but due to some behind the scenes stuff they've brought in Jen Taylor (who plays Halsey/Cortana in the games) to voice Cortana.

Also Disney announced some premiere dates. The Bad Batch on May 4th and Loki on June 11th.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1364703657317437444

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pablo Schreiber is great, and I didn't even know he was Liev Schreiber's brother until about two years ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Simone Magus posted:

Literally who is anticipating a Halo TV show lmao

Me, 15 years ago.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hughmoris posted:

They did, and it came out, i saw it on Netflix or something years later. Forward Unto Dawn. I remember it being surprisingly ok.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For a while Halo was actually a decent sci-fi media franchise. The Bungie games are solid-to-great, the Eric Nylund books are decent, and they did an anime anthology that got real weird and abstract with the mythology. Then the license was handed off to 343, Microsoft’s in-house Halo group made from Bungie scraps and has-beens, and it’s just been generic and mediocre ever since. The only good thing to come out of 343’s Halo series is the Greg Bear novel trilogy, and that’s mostly because they’re set in the distant past and almost completely disconnected from the rest of the novels.

I mean they brought in Karen Traviss of all people to write a bunch of books.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Barry Convex posted:

this move makes a lot of sense, insofar as it makes any sense to produce a big-budget adaptation of a video game franchise whose cultural relevance peaked around 2007. Never understood how it fit the Showtime brand at all, but for a streaming upstart best known for Star Trek that wants more big-budget genre fare to grow its audience, it's at least a somewhat better fit

People were crying when the new game trailer came out with John Halo floating in space

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Me on the outside: ehhhhh
Me on the inside: *wooting hysterically*

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sumo posted:

Me on the outside: ehhhhh
Me on the inside: *wooting hysterically*

How does that show hold up? It's one of the few extremely popular shows that I never watched an episode of.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s great. But it does not need a reboot at all.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
hurray Recognizable Brands

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1364700371126517769

to be fair a Parallax View show could be interesting, but it doesn't even have writers attached

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, at least they are doing better than Peacock for original content.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

People were crying when the new game trailer came out with John Halo floating in space

If people crying over game trailers is all it takes to make a show based on the property then we would have a lot more video game based shows.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bull3964 posted:

Well, at least they are doing better than Peacock for original content.

what, you're not excited for the Punky Brewster revival?

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1364721180247228423

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny considering what happened to the last season of Korra.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s great. But it does not need a reboot at all.

There will be an episode about Frasier treating an autistic person

And it'll probably be awful

I'd love to be wrong and have it be good tho

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Thoughts in order
1) [lets_go_lesbians.gif]
2) Maybe we'll finally get soundbending! After all this time!
3) What's a theatrical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not really sure how I feel about this animation style they chose

https://twitter.com/paramountplus/status/1364718515626860552