Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Top tip for weight weenies - do what I did and lose 15lbs since the start of the year. Just been out on the MTB for the first time in a while (thank you UK winter) and gently caress me I was flying up the climbs. It's like I was on a brand new super light weight bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The one trick bike part manufacturers hate!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Aphex- posted:

Top tip for weight weenies - do what I did and lose 15lbs since the start of the year. Just been out on the MTB for the first time in a while (thank you UK winter) and gently caress me I was flying up the climbs. It's like I was on a brand new super light weight bike!

Hell yeah 15 lb loss brother. I am shooting for dropping another 10 which would put me around 180.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

n8r posted:

Hell yeah 15 lb loss brother. I am shooting for dropping another 10 which would put me around 180.

Nice one! I'm at 180 at the moment but might keep going to 175, it's crazy how much of a difference it's made.

In other news I had an awesome day on the bike on Saturday. The trails were dry for the first time in forever, I felt way more confident and smashed some downhill runs that 6 months ago I would have failed badly at. I do notice that my rear shock (rockshox deluxe RT) has a hard time keeping up now though. To keep myself from wanting to buy a whole new bike, I'm tempted to invest in a coil shock. I've read that my bike's frame (2017 Jeffsy 27.5) is very progressive and is well suited for a coil, especially for the type of riding I've naturally gravitated towards. Has anyone else swapped an air shock for a coil?

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

If you haven't done an air can service yet, do that before buying a whole new shock.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Nice one! I'm at 180 at the moment but might keep going to 175, it's crazy how much of a difference it's made.

In other news I had an awesome day on the bike on Saturday. The trails were dry for the first time in forever, I felt way more confident and smashed some downhill runs that 6 months ago I would have failed badly at. I do notice that my rear shock (rockshox deluxe RT) has a hard time keeping up now though. To keep myself from wanting to buy a whole new bike, I'm tempted to invest in a coil shock. I've read that my bike's frame (2017 Jeffsy 27.5) is very progressive and is well suited for a coil, especially for the type of riding I've naturally gravitated towards. Has anyone else swapped an air shock for a coil?

Can you do volume spacers? What does a shock that is having a hard time keeping up feel like? Speed up the rebound?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Can you do volume spacers? What does a shock that is having a hard time keeping up feel like? Speed up the rebound?
It depends on what's shot. Typically it'll lose pressure on the reg, and generally the damping will fade.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm also thinking of getting a new rear shock for my bike, I've got the base model dps in there and it's massively overdue for a service so I'm thinking of just getting a dpx2 or equivalent RS shock instead of servicing what I've already got. Would be nice to get a bit more adjustability and try to dial in some more compliance without it being too soft, and the current shock makes some weird noises at the bottom of a long descent.

I think it's a good idea if you don't mind spending the money as a full service from my local shop is 1/2-1/3 the cost of a new, better rear shock. If your bike supports it, you don't mind the weight hit or potentially more movement on climbing I say go for the coil and give it a shot.

Anyone know if it's important to match tunes in the rear shock between the new and old? Ie if got medium compression and medium rebound tunes stock, would I shoot for the same on the new one?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm also thinking of getting a new rear shock for my bike, I've got the base model dps in there and it's massively overdue for a service so I'm thinking of just getting a dpx2 or equivalent RS shock instead of servicing what I've already got. Would be nice to get a bit more adjustability and try to dial in some more compliance without it being too soft, and the current shock makes some weird noises at the bottom of a long descent.

I think it's a good idea if you don't mind spending the money as a full service from my local shop is 1/2-1/3 the cost of a new, better rear shock. If your bike supports it, you don't mind the weight hit or potentially more movement on climbing I say go for the coil and give it a shot.

Anyone know if it's important to match tunes in the rear shock between the new and old? Ie if got medium compression and medium rebound tunes stock, would I shoot for the same on the new one?

It's incredibly important to match tunes. The leverage ratios can be completely different on different bikes.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

pinarello dogman posted:

If you haven't done an air can service yet, do that before buying a whole new shock.

It's been well maintained and serviced. The performance of it hasn't degraded over time - it's always been like this, it's just that it's not that good of a shock. Especially now that my style of riding has gotten more aggressive and downhill focused.

n8r posted:

I'm not bottoming out most of the time and it's generally quite progressive without spacers. Over the past 2 years I've had it I've gradually tuned and tweaked the rebound, sag and compression to get it as good as it can go for what I need it for. The shock has a hard time dealing with multiple, successive small hits like over roots or rock gardens or very rutty, droppy trails. Chattery stuff where there's a lot of chunk to deal with. The rear end feels like it gets hung up and almost like it wants to drag the bike back which slows me down. It also struggles to hold traction a lot too on that kind of stuff.

evil_bunnY posted:

It depends on what's shot. Typically it'll lose pressure on the reg, and generally the damping will fade.

Nothing's shot about it, it's that as I've gotten better and more aggressive in my riding, I've started to notice the shortcomings of the shock itself.

From what I've read, a coil shock can address a lot of the issues I've noticed. They're more plush, small bump sensitivity is hugely improved, and they maintain traction much better. They do seem to have downsides like they're heavier, a little less poppy on jumps and they're less easily adjustable. But those are things I'd be happy to live with. I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with them.

Edit: This has also become a lot more apparent since I upgraded the fork from a 150mm solo air to 160mm debonair. It was a night and day difference to how well the fork performed, so it's really just shown that there are better possibilities out there for suspension.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 16, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Have you checked to make sure your frame can fit a coil with no issues? Sometimes there are fit issues. Sometimes you have to make sure the coil is progressive enough for your frame. (edit: nvm, saw your note above)

Your description also makes it sound like your rebound might be too slow if its packing up in fast hits.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 16, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

vikingstrike posted:

Have you checked to make sure your frame can fit a coil with no issues? Sometimes there are fit issues. Sometimes you have to make sure the coil is progressive enough for your frame.

Your description also makes it sound like your rebound might be too slow if its packing up in fast hits.

Yeah the frame can fit one fine and I've been on pinkbike and seen a fair number of others who have the same bike as me fit a coil no problem. Honestly I've tried all sorts of rebound adjustment but it seems like it's just the shock itself.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The cost of even a used coil is a lot of money you could put toward a new bike. I’d also consider a better air shock with the same tune. You might get lucky and be able to find one cheaper. Keep in mind unless the person can provide receipts of a recent service that you’ll want to do one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just ordered a Polygon Siskiu N7. :ohdear:

This will be my first FS bike.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Yeah the frame can fit one fine and I've been on pinkbike and seen a fair number of others who have the same bike as me fit a coil no problem. Honestly I've tried all sorts of rebound adjustment but it seems like it's just the shock itself.

Don't worry about the haters get a fat titanium coil spring and rip!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah cheap shocks feel like poo poo because they often have lovely damping design on an engineering level.

I say go for the coil and see what you think.

On matching tunes, any good way to do it? Ideally I'd get something also offered on my bike and just figure out what spec that is, but are tunes generally comparable across franchises from one mfg or between mfgs? I guess the easiest thing is to go through this with the local suspension shop.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Fox puts a 4 digit code on their shocks, you just type that in here

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

And it will give you the details of what's going on with it, then you can probably send fox an email asking for a compatible upgrade or have your bike shop do it. I don't think there are actually that many different tunes, more like just recommended damper and pressure settings for different bikes.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 16, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I've got the code just wonder if the mC/mR tune is similar damping curve between dps and dpx2 or floatX2 or if medium means something different between models.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
If you’re set on doing a coil upgrade, the Marzocchi CR seems like a sweet spot for price and performance. It doesn’t play well with certain clevis designs (Ripmo, for instance), but it should work for the majority of coil compatible frames.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yeah I've got the code just wonder if the mC/mR tune is similar damping curve between dps and dpx2 or floatX2 or if medium means something different between models.

Email the frame manufacturer. Santa Cruz for instance just tells you to reach out if you want to switch and they'll let you know what you need to go buy something.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Aphex- posted:

It's been well maintained and serviced. The performance of it hasn't degraded over time - it's always been like this, it's just that it's not that good of a shock. Especially now that my style of riding has gotten more aggressive and downhill focused.
From what I've read, a coil shock can address a lot of the issues I've noticed. They're more plush, small bump sensitivity is hugely improved, and they maintain traction much better. They do seem to have downsides like they're heavier, a little less poppy on jumps and they're less easily adjustable. But those are things I'd be happy to live with. I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with them.

Fair enough. I went air->coil->air over my last couple of bikes, and I think your description of the pluses and minuses is accurate. If you run a decent air shock and don't use any spacers it will feel pretty similar though. I think the biggest benefit is not feeling compelled to gently caress with the air pressure.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My wife and I are planning a grand RV adventure thru the summer/fall months.

We live in Wisconsin, and would want to eventually wind up in Washington state.

Does anyone have experience with grand MTB trail systems along the northern states? I don't think we'd go as far south as Colorado. But Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and of course Washington (which I can probably figure out myself) would be the plan.

I should say it doesn't have to be purely MTB-awesome. I realize...like...Yellowstone would be fun to visit even without MTBing. But this is the MTB thread and I'm taking 100% advantage of my wife's willingness to MTB.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

In Washington if you are there August-September look at angels staircase. It’s just west of the town of methow. It’s 25 miles / 5500’ of vert of amazing backcountry single track. Another area is the Entiat ORV trail system. Highlights include Pot Peak, Middle Tommy, and Lake Creek. These are all very big rides in the 25 mile / 5000’+ range.

If anyone is interested in these sorts of rides drop me a PM. I’m a bit of a local expert now on the entire Entiat system. I’ve ridden almost every single trail in the Lake Wenatchee/Entiat/Chelan system. If these trails were in Colorado or some large population area they’d be considered world class backcountry rides.

Other areas worth checking out is the Kettle Crest trail outside of Republic. I’ve never ridden it but I’ve heard good things. Devils Gulch outside of Cashmere Wa is another classic. It’s a bit shorter than the Entiat rides and can be done as a loop or as an out and back. Out and back is a nice option if you aren’t sure you have the legs for the full ride.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

n8r posted:

In Washington if you are there August-September look at angels staircase. It’s just west of the town of methow.

Saved this for future reference. Cannot wait until the 🇨🇦🇺🇸 border is open again and we’re on the other side of this. Love that region and I’ve done plenty of hiking around Methow/Twisp but would love to do some MTB or gravel riding in the area. Everyone focuses on the coast but there is so much to see/do in eastern Washington.

And I miss Trader Joe’s. 😞

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm quite happy for the US border to be closed forever but I do see where you're coming from.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Does anybody here ride with a camelbak / hydration backpack? I want to pick one up mostly for cross-country skiing, but figure I could use it on the MTB also. I'd like to have room for water, a stashed light jacket/windbreaker, and a bit of food. Any recs?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tylertfb posted:

Does anybody here ride with a camelbak / hydration backpack? I want to pick one up mostly for cross-country skiing, but figure I could use it on the MTB also. I'd like to have room for water, a stashed light jacket/windbreaker, and a bit of food. Any recs?

I like my Deuter Race EXP Air - it has a little torsioned frame that keeps it off your back (and therefore keeps back sweat at bay). Size range sounds perfect for what you want and I think it comes w a 3L bladder.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

tylertfb posted:

My Camelbak LR is the most comfortable hydration pack I’ve worn. I like how it lowers most of the weight to lower on your back. But the method of loading the bladder sucks compared to the Osprey pack I have.

Make sure you get a neoprene insulated hose. My uninsulated one freezes up extremely fast.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tylertfb posted:

Go check out your local Osprey dealer and get fitted for one. I replaced my first riding pack after 8 years this past summer with another Osprey. Make sure you get one with the Airspeed trampoline back to allow for lots of airflow while riding.

The hydraulics are top notch and the fit and finish are the best in the business. I sound like an Osprey rep but I honestly really like their gear. I just realized that I have bought at least 8 different pieces from them including backpacks, luggage, and a child carrier.

I have broken a couple small plastic pieces over the years, and every time Osprey has shipped (at no cost to me) a couple replacements.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have an osprey raptor 10, probably a previous revision at this point. I like it, though I haven't owned any other hydration pack

e: getting up to go look at the thing instead of just glancing at their website, mine is actually a "talon 11" which is no longer made. Great naming convention, guys

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 25, 2021

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll 2nd Osprey. Really like their 2L hip pack I got and it survived me landing on it OTB without popping. If only my shoulder had been so lucky.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Looking to pick up an Ibis Ripmo this season. Is XT worth it over GX Eagle?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
ya

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I’d personally go SLX with carbon rims for 100$ more than the XT package if that’s your price range. I’d rather spend the money saving weight on the wheels than components and SLX vs XT is pretty darn close in quality.

Ripmo is great.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I run full SLX with an XT shifter and I prefer it over my experiences with GX.

e: if I had the choice I'd definitely go SLX with an XT shifter if it meant better wheels vs XT.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

yes

Wistful of Dollars posted:

e: if I had the choice I'd definitely go SLX with an XT shifter if it meant better wheels vs XT.

Also this.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I personally highly value the XT multi release functionality (jam lever further to jump multiple times to smaller cogs), which is not available on SLX or GX.

Aside from that, my personal experience with GX is no worse than with XT.

Also good luck finding a Ripmo.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
see this is why I wish that wide-range 9 speeds that don't explode (box) were a thing. Unless you are an xc racer who always needs to be at the perfect cadence, multi-release is solving a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, I don't need that much granularity in my gears

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It all depends on your budget but looking at Ibis' site if *I* were buying a Ripmo I'd buy the full Deore with carbon wheels since it's the same price as full SLX with alloy rims and I'd just plunk on an XT shifter and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

WOW