Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

heffray posted:

There's a $200 rebate card for accounts over 5 years old & trading in any iPhone that was used on the tmo network between Aug 2 - Oct 2, and a trade in offer at $500 for 11 Pro or XS or XS Max; $415 for 11, X, XR, 8, 8+; $300 for 7, 7+, SE 2020; $215 for 6s, 6, SE; $50 for anything 5s or older. Bigger promos are available with trading in plus activating a new line. What were you expecting?

Hmm... that may be me. I got T-Mobile in 2014 and currently using an iPhone 8. So 6 year old account with a iPhone 8 that is just not working well anymore (incredibly short battery life, long delays when opening apps).

Is there any more info on this? Because I am sure my iPhone 8 is not worth $200 in its current state.

Edit: Well drat, my wife upgraded her iPhone SE to an iPhone SE 2020 on August 12th. That iPhone SE is in even worse shape if that were to qualify

Edit 2: Okay, doing more digging and found the page

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/apple-iphone-with-5G-offers#trade

So let me get this straight... I can trade in my iPhone SE for $215 AND get a $200 loyalty trade in offer? So $415 for the POS phone that doesn't work well anymore. Or $415 for my iPhone 8 and $200 loyalty offer, so $615? gently caress yes.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So my in-laws are looking for a new plan and phones. I'm leaning toward the base 55+ plan. Should they till black Friday for phone deals? Or just go with the bogo samsung s20?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is there any way to trade an S9+ in towards an iPhone 12 Pro? My wife broke the screen on her iPhone and wants a new one. I use Google Voice so I don't mind opening a new line in order to get a S20 FE (which seems almost identical to my S9+ in terms of specs) for free. I could apparently get $500 trade in on my S9+ towards an S20, but not an iPhone?

Edit: seems like the answer is iPhone to iPhone only anywhere I can find it. Thinking now I'll get a S20 FE for myself on a new line, then either sell the S9+ to fund another new screen on her iPhone or towards a 12 Pro.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 1, 2020

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I think the tower by my house has been hosed for a while now. Speeds are extremely slow and during the afternoon from 11am to around 6pm it's completely loving useless. I know this is the tower and not my phone because if I walk a mile or two in any direction, speeds are awesome (for T-Mobile anyway). It has been at least a month or two like this. This wouldn't be that huge of a deal if I wasn't working from home 4 days a week. What can I do to get T-Mo to fix their poo poo? I don't want to go through customer support because I know they're going to have me wipe my phone or other stupid poo poo from their script. I get 4 out of 5 bars in the middle of my house so there's really no reason for it to be this slow.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 4, 2020

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like another free line starting tomorrow, this will put me up to 3 free lines added this year alone!

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/11/t-mobile-may-launch-free-voice-line-deal-tomorrow/

This won't be available for the old "2 for $100 + 1 free" plan people, but I was able to switch in the past to plan FRLTULF2 from that

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like another free line starting tomorrow, this will put me up to 3 free lines added this year alone!

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/11/t-mobile-may-launch-free-voice-line-deal-tomorrow/

This won't be available for the old "2 for $100 + 1 free" plan people, but I was able to switch in the past to plan FRLTULF2 from that

I’ve gotten a free line before on my 2 for $100 plan and they let me keep it. Hopefully they can again.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve gotten a free line before on my 2 for $100 plan and they let me keep it. Hopefully they can again.

They did have 1 free line offer for the 2 for $100, but apparently that plan caps out at 3 lines for reasons

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maneki Neko posted:

They did have 1 free line offer for the 2 for $100, but apparently that plan caps out at 3 lines for reasons

Good to know. They were cool and let me use my 3rd line for SyncUP DRIVE at no extra cost.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

God bless that 50% off Reebok coupon

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Anyone know if the free line works with us sprinters that came over?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’m in a plan with 2 lines for $100 w/ tax and up to $20 in kickback for under 2GB of data usage (which we regularly get being at home). I am never eligible for these free line promotions. Said I’d have to go to $120 for 2 lines to get the third free.

I’d love to somehow pick up a free third line for my kid to use SOMEDAY, but not to pay $20 more at this point for it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile onto my girlfriend's account, as I have the T-mobile work perk through my employer (which is basically magenta plus but $10 off a month for each line). As part of that, I'm looking to upgrade my phone as part of that switch. I'm trying to figure out the best deal. I'm thinking of getting a note 20, but am sort of up in the air about it. Anyone know what the best deal would be? My girlfriend isn't looking to upgrade her phone at the moment, so BOGO deals aren't really prioritized.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Can the free line deals be used on apple watch or iPads?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

badjohny posted:

Can the free line deals be used on apple watch or iPads?

As far as I know they can’t. At least not for the Apple Watch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I use my free line for SyncUP Drive but I feel like the store let me do it as a favor. Doesn’t hurt to ask support.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

anecdotal but got an iPhone 12 the other day in store with a delivery date mid-January, but I guess it’s coming today

Cool cool cool

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anecdotal but got an iPhone 12 the other day in store with a delivery date mid-January, but I guess it’s coming today

Cool cool cool

They’re probably just really under promising on the delivery dates.

Weird? The 12s have been very reliable in inventory where you don’t even have to under promise. Pro Max and especially Pro are the ones with inventory issues in my experience right now. But my store just started seeing a Pro or two trickle in, so I think they’ll start being more available soon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh poo poo sorry
iPhone 12 pro & iPhone 12 pro max. Those two apparently are hard to come by and stores only got a few

The 12 and mini most seemed to have in stock at 128gb

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sooo AppleCare or the T-Mobile protection/insurance?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

sooo AppleCare or the T-Mobile protection/insurance?

AppleCare with Theft and Loss!

With Apple you know you're getting an unused device vs. whatever flotsam you might get from Assurant.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Videos sent to me via text message are always very pixelated. We never had this issue with our previous carrier (same phones).

There's a toggle switch for "HD Video" on T-Mobile's Media Settings menu. I toggled this on thinking it may fix the poor quality videos. As soon as I activated HD Video, I received a text thanking me for my purchase.

Is there a cost to HD Video? I can't seem to find anything on it and the Media Settings menu didn't indicate there was. I'm on the T-Mobile ONE plan.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tortilla Maker posted:

Videos sent to me via text message are always very pixelated. We never had this issue with our previous carrier (same phones).

There's a toggle switch for "HD Video" on T-Mobile's Media Settings menu. I toggled this on thinking it may fix the poor quality videos. As soon as I activated HD Video, I received a text thanking me for my purchase.

Is there a cost to HD Video? I can't seem to find anything on it and the Media Settings menu didn't indicate there was. I'm on the T-Mobile ONE plan.

I am assuming this is to activate HD video streams from apps like Netflix and YouTube.

In terms of your video issue, what phones are you using and what messaging app are you using on each device?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Burden posted:

In terms of your video issue, what phones are you using and what messaging app are you using on each device?

I think I'm on a Pixel 3 and believe my wife is an iPhone 8 Plus.

We're using the default messaging apps.(Google's Messages for me, Apple's Messages for her)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

I think I'm on a Pixel 3 and believe my wife is an iPhone 8 Plus.

We're using the default messaging apps.(Google's Messages for me, Apple's Messages for her)

My wife and I have this issue her being on iphone 10 or 11 pro or plus(I don't follow apple closely) and I'm on an LG G8x. Videos to and from her parents on a decades old Android have no issue.

We "solved" it by just using Facebook messenger for videos

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I see that T-Mobile is offering up to a $650 rebate for ditching my current carrier, AT&T. This would pay off most of our handset costs and the plan would be cheaper and better than what we currently get. Has anyone made the switch mid contract and if so how difficult was it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

I see that T-Mobile is offering up to a $650 rebate for ditching my current carrier, AT&T. This would pay off most of our handset costs and the plan would be cheaper and better than what we currently get. Has anyone made the switch mid contract and if so how difficult was it?

I did and it was super easy for phones.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like another free line promo coming tomorrow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/m6ft9k/megathread_no_joke_its_time_for_another_free_line/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just called tech support due to my half-decade long debacle with email-to-text not working on my line and they basically begged me to take the free 3rd line and assured me up and down I will never be charged for it. I usually instinctively say no to stuff like this but I figured T-Mobile has never bamboozled me before so I had them add it.

I literally have no idea what to do with a third line. I guess wait about a decade until my oldest kid is old enough to require a phone and pat my future self on the back for doing this?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I just called tech support due to my half-decade long debacle with email-to-text not working on my line and they basically begged me to take the free 3rd line and assured me up and down I will never be charged for it. I usually instinctively say no to stuff like this but I figured T-Mobile has never bamboozled me before so I had them add it.

I literally have no idea what to do with a third line. I guess wait about a decade until my oldest kid is old enough to require a phone and pat my future self on the back for doing this?

I used my extra for SyncUP drive.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I used my extra for SyncUP drive.

Oh that is awesome I've never heard of it before. I'm so glad I posted here; this is exactly what I will use it for. Thank you!

edit: just got a callback from T-Mobile, some manager thanking me for activating the 3rd line. I told him I am planning to use it for SyncUP Drive and he said "the third line is for a normal cell line such as voice, texting, etc and you cannot use the third line for SyncUp drive because they have an embedded SIM card and are a different line type but I will look into this for you". :confused:

If they "figure it out" and activate it for me, how does data work? I am on unlimited, so is the SyncUP Drive going to be unlimited as well?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 17, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You have to have them set it up to work for SyncUP drive. I went into a store a few years ago and they did it. Maybe the people in the store will be more helpful to you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

You have to have them set it up to work for SyncUP drive. I went into a store a few years ago and they did it. Maybe the people in the store will be more helpful to you.

Thanks! You did it for the free 3rd line?

How does the data plan work for you? (I am assuming you are on unlimited). Is it unlimited for the SyncUP as long as the rest of the lines on your account are unlimited?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I did it for a 3rd line I got on a promotion a few years ago. They allowed me to do it unlimited with 10gb hotspot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I did it for a 3rd line I got on a promotion a few years ago. They allowed me to do it unlimited with 10gb hotspot.

Sorry for the ridiculous question but isn't a hotspot the only thing it can do data-wise? What does unlimited with 10 GB hotspot mean?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Sorry for the ridiculous question but isn't a hotspot the only thing it can do data-wise? What does unlimited with 10 GB hotspot mean?

It uses data for when its monitoring your car with gps and the data it’s gathering from the car. You can use it as a WiFi hotspot as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah okay, I figured the amount of data it required to send me vehicle info was so miniscule it was pretty much a given to be unlimited. Having a 10gb limit on wifi pretty much ensures I'll just be going back to making my cell phone a hotspot.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How do these promos work? Do you just go online and add a line?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Axlerod posted:

How do these promos work? Do you just go online and add a line?

Call 611. They basically begged me to take it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My conversation with them on this free line promo thing went so badly I'm now switching carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Vince MechMahon posted:

My conversation with them on this free line promo thing went so badly I'm now switching carriers.

How the hell did it go that poorly