Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPJPUpNvDw
Spinning out of Supergirl, Superman & Lois is about Superman and Lois. There have been some changes since we last saw the characters. Pre-Crisis Lois and Clark had one child, which was a newborn baby boy. Now they have twins who are teenagers. Also they've recast Samuel Lane and Morgan Edge.

Main
Tyler Hoechlin as Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman: A superhero from Krypton who defends Earth and is Lois' husband.
Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane: A journalist at the Metropolis newspaper the Daily Planet and Clark's wife.
Jordan Elsass as Jonathan Kent: The modest and kind-hearted son of Clark and Lois.
Alexander Garfin as Jordan Kent: The intelligent son of Clark and Lois who has social anxiety and enjoys playing video games alone.
Inde Navarrette as Sarah Cushing: Kyle and Lana's "wild child" daughter who befriends the Kent boys.
Dylan Walsh as Samuel Lane: Lois' father, a no-nonsense, workaholic Army general who is determined to keep America and the world safe from all threats.
Emmanuelle Chriqui as Lana Lang: An old friend of Clark Kent and the loan officer at Smallville Bank.
Erik Valdez as Kyle Cushing: Lana's husband and Smallville's fire chief who enjoys his life living in a small town and is wary of those from bigger cities.
Wolé Parks as The Stranger: "A mysterious visitor hellbent on proving to the world that it no longer needs Superman."
Adam Rayner as Morgan Edge: "An intelligent, eloquent and impassioned self-made mogul".
Recurring
Sofia Hasmik as Chrissy Beppo: A "go-getter" journalist at the Smallville Gazette who has a "chance encounter" that changes her life.
Stacey Farber as Leslie Larr: Someone who works with "the most influential people on the planet".
Joselyn Picard as Sophie Cushing: "Spirited and rebellious" younger daughter of Lana Lang and Kyle Cushing.
Angus Macfadyen as Jor-El: Clark Kent's Kryptonian father. Though he died along with Krypton, his brilliant essence still exists within the arctic Fortress of Solitude to provide guidance when his son seeks help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Awwwww yeeeeeaaaaahhh

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Welp, I've seen some positive reviews, and some negative reviews, let's see who was right.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gotta say, that was a really good pilot. The family dynamics feel very genuine and refreshingly warm, and the backdrop of "Superman vs the death of the American small town" is very interesting.

It's a shame they apparently won't be going with Jon Cryer as Luthor, but at least they gave a decent explanation for it and this allows Kara to (presumably) be the one to defeat him as a fitting climax to her own show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So help me show you had better not do a loving love triangle between the brothers Kent and Lana's daughter. :argh:

I'm curious if they're going to keep up the cinematic aspect ratio, or go back to standard HD.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That was way better than I expected. The kid playing Jonathan is doing a good job nailing the vibe of the older brother who is kind of a douche but also really cares.

e: I love how they managed to work in a Action Comics #1 visual homage and gave him an old school supersuit to boot.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2021

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
^^^^^^
EDIT: yup! That was awesome. Fleischer suit. :allears:
———

That was way better than I was expecting and gives me hope it’ll stay that way. Was also digging the cinematic feel too.

Gong to call it now, Jonathan will (if he doesn’t already) get powers eventually. Maybe it takes a season or two but it’ll happen. He’s half Kryptonian.

Also, this show is technically a time skip in the arrowverse since the boys are what, 14 or so right? Barry can show up but it’d be a future version of his character.

jiffynuts fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 24, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

jiffynuts posted:

^^^^^^
———

That was way better than I was expecting and gives me hope it’ll stay that way. Was also digging the cinematic feel too.

Gong to call it now, Jonathan will (if he doesn’t already) get powers eventually. Maybe it takes a season or two but it’ll happen. He’s half Kryptonian.

Also, this show is technically a time skip in the arrowverse since the boys are what, 14 or so right? Barry can show up but it’d be a future version of his character.

No, crisis changed it so that they had 2 kids instead of 1 and they were born earlier.

Presumably both of the boys will develop super powers since they are both half kryptonian.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"My mom made it for me." :v:

I like that General Lane isn't a dick to Superman.

The sonic boom effects when he's flying really do give a sense of speed and power.

Superman's real nemesis: :capitalism:

I guess Master Chief is Captain Luthor. Not sure that explains anything but there it is.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Also gotta ask, who keeps their router in a barn?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
An old woman who doesn't need the internet but got discount for bundling? Also she didn't want it messing up the old lady look of the house.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

An old woman who doesn't need the internet but got discount for bundling? Also she didn't want it messing up the old lady look of the house.

Now there's an idea. Granma Gothic styled routers.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Now I'm thinking of a grandma somewhere with a knitted cozy over their router.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Now I'm thinking of a grandma somewhere with a knitted cozy over their router.

I'm 100% confident that has happened in multiple homes.

I've decided that my pet theory thus far for Captain Luthor is 'Time travelling descendant of Lex Luthor'. Alternatively, Lex Luthor from an alternate earth. My first thought was to reject that hypothesis since post crisis we saw on Batwoman that two doppelgangers couldn't coexist on the same earth but there is a new multiverse now even though the characters are unaware of it yet, so maybe that's the explanation.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 24, 2021

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I really enjoyed that and the effects were pretty decent. I assume that pilot cost a fortune and were going to get a lot of cheaper non flashy powered episodes to make up for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jiffynuts posted:

^^^^^^
———

Is it? I know Crisis changed things such that there were two sons, but I don't remember if they were only children once revealed or fully grown teens.

There's a bunch of neat threads going on and more than a few are very "straight from the headlines" type stuff like the predatory bank loans stuff and rural drain and poverty. The Superman related stuff? :shrug: might be good, but there was definitely minimal focus on that compared to the other stuff and it's probably for the best. Them going straight for the reveal to the Super-sons about Clark's identity was the right step.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that General Lane isn't a dick to Superman.

It's a nice change compared to the typical canon

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Tyler Hoechlin is just killing it.

He kind of reminds me of All Star Superman in just the very, very best way. Full of wholesome heart but tinged with just the right amount of sadness.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm 100% confident that has happened in multiple homes.

I've decided that my pet theory thus far for Captain Luthor is 'Time travelling descendant of Lex Luthor'. Alternatively, Lex Luthor from an alternate earth. My first thought was to reject that hypothesis since post crisis we saw on Batwoman that two doppelgangers couldn't coexist on the same earth but there is a new multiverse now even though the characters are unaware of it yet, so maybe that's the explanation.

Alternate Earth Lex whose home dimension was destroyed by the crisis is my guess based on some of his dialogue, and he's surviving on this Earth because he's Lex loving Luthor that's why.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Thoroughly enjoyed this, was surprised how it's visually and tonally different from the Arrowverse's tech-neon lab aesthetic.
Loved Tyler's Superman ever since his Supergirl!

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Xelkelvos posted:

Is it? I know Crisis changed things such that there were two sons, but I don't remember if they were only children once revealed or fully grown teens.

It's a nice change compared to the typical canon

You might be right. Post Crisis I just assumed they were toddlers or infants. Didn't occur to me that they may have just been teenagers all along (unless they retconned a few things). I remember on Supergirl that Superman was off-world because Lois was pregnant and gave birth wherever they were. Maytbe Crisis time-adjusted a few things.

And yea, non-dick Sam Lane was a nice change of pace. Maybe he eventually warmed up to the idea of having a superpowered son-in-law.

[EDIT:] Did some quick looking around and according to a few reviews, there was indeed a time skip. Not complaining though. Wonder if the other shows will follow suit too.

jiffynuts fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 24, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ShakeZula posted:

It's a shame they apparently won't be going with Jon Cryer as Luthor, but at least they gave a decent explanation for it
Did they? What was it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This was really good. Much better than I expected given how terrible all of the CW shows had fallen off when I stopped watching them. I'm glad Jon Cryer isn't the Lex in this series though because the couple clips of him I've seen on the internet really don't fit the tone set in this pilot at all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think it's nice to have a solo superhero again who doesn't do his thing while wearing an earpiece connected to a room of smart nerds.

I like the family aspect of the show and I hope they take the time to spend on family plotlines, the boys' plotlines, etc. I'd be perfectly happy for Clark not to suit up at all some episodes. It looks like they're going to juggle 3 unrelated (at least as far as we know) story threads - Captain Luthor, who seems to be the big bad for Superman to defeat over the course of the season, the Morgan Edge/strange loans storyline, which seems to be there for Lois to investigate (I like that she gets her own journalist-y mystery to solve independently of what Clark is doing) and the sons storyline of growing up, school, friends, growing into powers etc. If they can juggle the different plots properly and give each one the screen time it needs it's going to be a great show, and better than a more standard 'superman and the villain of the week/season' show would have been. I'm more excited for this than for any Arrowverse show since early Arrow.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I think it's nice to have a solo superhero again who doesn't do his thing while wearing an earpiece connected to a room of smart nerds.

I like the family aspect of the show and I hope they take the time to spend on family plotlines, the boys' plotlines, etc. I'd be perfectly happy for Clark not to suit up at all some episodes. It looks like they're going to juggle 3 unrelated (at least as far as we know) story threads - Captain Luthor, who seems to be the big bad for Superman to defeat over the course of the season, the Morgan Edge/strange loans storyline, which seems to be there for Lois to investigate (I like that she gets her own journalist-y mystery to solve independently of what Clark is doing) and the sons storyline of growing up, school, friends, growing into powers etc. If they can juggle the different plots properly and give each one the screen time it needs it's going to be a great show, and better than a more standard 'superman and the villain of the week/season' show would have been. I'm more excited for this than for any Arrowverse show since early Arrow.

It looks like Berlanti might be remaking his own Everwood, but with Superman ontop which is pretty cool.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

This was really good. Much better than I expected given how terrible all of the CW shows had fallen off when I stopped watching them. I'm glad Jon Cryer isn't the Lex in this series though because the couple clips of him I've seen on the internet really don't fit the tone set in this pilot at all.

Cryer is a phenomenal Lex, but yeah, his performance is very extra. Hopefully they can find a place for him on Superman & Lois at some point down the line, but a lot of that also depends on how Supergirl wraps up his story there.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's a very large chance that this will disintegrate into a a terrible show quite quickly (I gave up on Batwoman's first season because it just refused to move beyond a decent pilot). But I also love the casting here, across the board. This version of Lois is the first time in ages where I think the creative team gets what she stands for.

And man, Hoechlin is SO good here. He's basically trying to operate on the same wavelength as Routh, but a) given much better material and b) taps into the character's earnest nature so effortlessly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was so, so good. It's just wonderful to see Tiny Clark step into center stage. And oh man, that Fleischer suit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's definitely a bunch of ways this series could go south, but I hope it doesn't go there for a while at least

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just shocked by how good both sons are. The jock could have easily been an insufferable prick and the emo one could have played the tropes very poorly but They both are believable teenage boys. Jordan gaining the powers was predictable but it just works so well. Jon is the one who would want them and it's the last thing Jordan would ever want.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tiggum posted:

Did they? What was it?

Oh nothing too specific (yet), just that it's some alternate dimension version of Luthor. That's handwavey enough for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There is a scene where Jon as a child throws a football and it breaks right through a rope holding a tire. He's got some powers in him too somehwhere or that scene makes no sense.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

X-O posted:

There is a scene where Jon as a child throws a football and it breaks right through a rope holding a tire. He's got some powers in him too somehwhere or that scene makes no sense.

Yeah, seems like they both have powers, just not necessarily the same ones.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Wow! That was way better than I expected it to be. Hopefully they can keep up the quality and balance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was a pretty expensive looking show, it'll definitely be interesting to see if they can keep it up or if next week we'll be right back to normal CW budget levels.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

This was a pretty expensive looking show, it'll definitely be interesting to see if they can keep it up or if next week we'll be right back to normal CW budget levels.

It already felt CW-budgety to me already though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Saw the idea that Jonathan might be peak human thanks to some of his genes, rather than Superson level, which I think might make for a more interesting dynamic than them both being alike, or the idea they both get unique sets of their dads powers. So essentially Superman has Superboy and Captain America as sons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Teek posted:

Saw the idea that Jonathan might be peak human thanks to some of his genes, rather than Superson level, which I think might make for a more interesting dynamic than them both being alike, or the idea they both get unique sets of their dads powers. So essentially Superman has Superboy and Captain America as sons.

It would be neat if they basically split Supes' powers in two across his sons with one getting all the physical powers like invulnerability, super speed, super hearing, etc., and the other one getting the more metaphysical powers like flight, heat vision, x-ray vision, ect.

Mind you I haven't watched the show yet so I don't really know what's been shown for each kid yet.

Yannick_B posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed this, was surprised how it's visually and tonally different from the Arrowverse's tech-neon lab aesthetic.
Loved Tyler's Superman ever since his Supergirl!

I've been a huge fan of Tyler's Superman too, so between this, Crisis, and FFVII Remake, the dude's been having a really good last couple of years.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think Johnathan just being more or less normal human makes for a more interesting dynamic than if he had powers kinda like a parallel to Alex and Kara

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It does and hopefully they handle the obvious resentment subplot well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I think Johnathan just being more or less normal human makes for a more interesting dynamic than if he had powers kinda like a parallel to Alex and Kara

Given the general trajectory of Arrowverse shows, both of them will also be super heroes with their own costumes by either the end of this season, or halfway through season 2.