Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Answers reps are the most useless of people. I was trying to figure out how to disabled the gyro on the Surface, at least for Chrome (later I found the Site Settings bit for it, no thanks to anything Google related) and one verified rep suggested disabling it in Device Manager (gee thanks chucklefuck, which of the myriad HID or sensor devices do you think it is?) but also that this would void your warranty.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
you'll find a lot of "have you tried plugging it in?" level suggestions to users with clearly more involved issues

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

you'll find a lot of "have you tried plugging it in?" level suggestions to users with clearly more involved issues

For some reason Microsoft's support doesn't seem to have a middle ground between someone trying to read the manual with you and the guys who developed the product in the first place. Of course you need to give them cartoon bags with dollar signs on them for the latter.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Answers reps are the most useless of people. I was trying to figure out how to disabled the gyro on the Surface, at least for Chrome (later I found the Site Settings bit for it, no thanks to anything Google related) and one verified rep suggested disabling it in Device Manager (gee thanks chucklefuck, which of the myriad HID or sensor devices do you think it is?) but also that this would void your warranty.

:psyduck:

You have to run sfc /scannow, duh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

~Coxy posted:

:tizzy:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FWIW I sometimes had a similar problem with my DS4 controller when plugged into a USB. It'd inexplicably function like a mouse in Windows, dragging all the way to the bottom right of the screen even when that functionality was totally disabled in Steam. BIOS update ended up fixing it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Party Boat posted:

Any idea how to fix things if Windows doesn't acknowledge a plugged-in device in any way?

Background:

Until recently I had a Steam Link for in-home streaming with a wireless 360 controller and adapter (both official Microsoft ones) which worked fine. Last month I decided to upgrade a little and got an Nvidia Shield TV and Xbox One controller, because the non-pro version of the Shield doesn't have a USB port and does everything via Bluetooth. I decided to take the old 360 controller / adapter and use them with my PC for the rare times I want to game using a controller at the PC.

Except Windows doesn't acknowledge the adapter when it's plugged in. Device Manager doesn't show it at all, even as an unknown device (I've checked with show hidden devices on as well). It seems like Microsoft did something that broke compatibility with Windows 10 as I've seen others reporting similar issues, but all of them had the adapter show as an unknown device in Device Manager that they can apply drivers to.

A hardware issue seems unlikely as the adapter worked fine plugged into the Steam Link. Maybe this is Windows telling me to get a new controller but I'd prefer to get this one working before buying more kit!

Does it work anywhere else now? Both of my official Microsoft adapters have blown their fuses at one point or another and simply stopped working one day. Ironically the cheapo knockoffs have proven significantly more reliable over the years.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Microsoft+Xbox+360+Wireless+Gaming+Receiver+fuse+replacement/118338

I run my game controllers through a USB hub with switchable ports so I just shorted the fuse figuring it won't ever be left unattended and the worst case scenario should just be a smoked port on the hub, if you're plugging it directly in to a PC you care about you might want to actually replace the thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

~Coxy posted:

I love when you post a hyperdetailed account of what's happening, including error codes, debug output where applicable, and god knows what, then all the in-depth poo poo you tried to fix it, just to get a reply like this. Makes me want the Earth getting hit by a gamma ray storm in that moment.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s kind of a marvel how worthless the support techs are on that site. Every once in a while I look up an issue and get to enjoy seeing some poor sap get their brain broken trying to deal with them in good faith.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have genuinely never seen an actual answer from one of the people there. Other users, sure, but not them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have genuinely never seen an actual answer from one of the people there. Other users, sure, but not them.

Have you tried running sfc /scannow

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Have you tried running sfc /scannow

This, but as an earnest suggestion to a message saying sfc /scannow didn't help.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It's just a war of attrition.

And it gets you to move to somewhere else, either way: problem solved.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tech support is like the apron of a hovercraft, and customers are the dirt and debris it scoots over

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

FWIW I sometimes had a similar problem with my DS4 controller when plugged into a USB. It'd inexplicably function like a mouse in Windows, dragging all the way to the bottom right of the screen even when that functionality was totally disabled in Steam. BIOS update ended up fixing it.

updated my BIOS. it was four years old despite the motherboard only being intoroduce to market like 2-3 years ago so maybe that was it. I'll see soon

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
the problem persists. at least this time the input is stuck on "left" so it doesn't prevent me from using the start menu

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Anyone else having issues installing the 2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 20H2 x64 (KB4601319)?

Every time I try and have Windows Update install it, the install fails with:

quote:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)

I've tried all the tricks I know (manual install, sfc /scannow, resetting the update components, safe mode, etc) minus reinstalling Windows and before going through the annoyance of doing that I wanted to see if anyone else was having an issue with it or if this is just a me problem.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 23, 2021

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
WindowsOS X has started to lock the screen in my face. Like, I'll be typing/mousing and it will go to the lock screen. I've checked the power plans and even enabled a hidden option in them. All timeouts seem ok. Has anybody encountered this bug?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

axeil posted:

Anyone else having issues installing the 2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 20H2 x64 (KB4601319)?

Every time I try and have Windows Update install it, the install fails with:

I've tried all the tricks I know (manual install, sfc /scannow, resetting the update components, safe mode, etc) minus reinstalling Windows and before going through the annoyance of doing that I wanted to see if anyone else was having an issue with it or if this is just a me problem.

You used the Update Troubleshooter?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yeah. Nothing happened. Googling around it seems like this update includes an update to the Windows Update system files which apparently can get a little screwy and keep things from updating. Someone on reddit said they just did an in-place upgrade and it fixed things.

I made sure to run a backup this morning so I'll give it a shot now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just right now I managed to get a Hyper-VM stuck in "shutting down" state and not actually shutting down (because of some unsupported GPU fuckery), so I figured look this up on Google on how to avoid rebooting the whole system. First forum thread about this the OP explains the same situation, and the first reply is something like "Have you tried right-clicking the VM and select Shutdown?" poo poo like this is all over the internet. Sure doesn't help. :psypop:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

karoshi posted:

WindowsOS X has started to lock the screen in my face. Like, I'll be typing/mousing and it will go to the lock screen. I've checked the power plans and even enabled a hidden option in them. All timeouts seem ok. Has anybody encountered this bug?
Do you have the Dynamic Lock feature enabled? Or Windows Hello face login? Both of those can auto-lock the system if they think you've left.

Beyond that, a faulty keyboard sending Win+L, a friend/colleague/housemate/whatever loving with you with a wireless keyboard, or literally any app running in your Windows session could all trigger it. I haven't found any way to get Windows to log why it locked, just when it does.

I can say that I've never had anyone report that behavior across my couple hundred users nor have I seen any similar complaints around the interwebs so it's almost certainly not a Windows bug itself unless it's related to the aforementioned auto-lock features.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Any tips for troubleshooting intermittent audio stuttering? It tends to go away for a while if I reboot; but I haven't narrowed down exactly what's causing it yet.

For an example, listening to spotify right now and not doing anything else particularly intensive. Every 10-15 seconds or so the audio will 'hiccup' for a fraction of a second. As far as I can tell this seems to happen on both my wireless headphones and the speakers, but I can't discount that the headphone dropouts are a separate issue with wireless connectivity.

Stuff I've done:
- Using onboard Realtek audio, latest drivers I can find
- Double checked I don't have any weird enhancement on the audio.
- Audio is just a normal 3.5mm cable to speakers, nothing fancy happening post-computer.
- Nothing pops up in the event log looking particularly concerning, either.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

wolrah posted:

Do you have the Dynamic Lock feature enabled? Or Windows Hello face login? Both of those can auto-lock the system if they think you've left.

Beyond that, a faulty keyboard sending Win+L, a friend/colleague/housemate/whatever loving with you with a wireless keyboard, or literally any app running in your Windows session could all trigger it. I haven't found any way to get Windows to log why it locked, just when it does.

I can say that I've never had anyone report that behavior across my couple hundred users nor have I seen any similar complaints around the interwebs so it's almost certainly not a Windows bug itself unless it's related to the aforementioned auto-lock features.

Thank you very much for the reply. A shutdown/restart, but not a reboot, fixed it. That was after I spent some hours with procmon.exe, enabling audits for screen locks, googling poo poo, etc.. It was happening every 30 minutes and driving me crazy. :iiam:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Any tips for troubleshooting intermittent audio stuttering? It tends to go away for a while if I reboot; but I haven't narrowed down exactly what's causing it yet.

For an example, listening to spotify right now and not doing anything else particularly intensive. Every 10-15 seconds or so the audio will 'hiccup' for a fraction of a second. As far as I can tell this seems to happen on both my wireless headphones and the speakers, but I can't discount that the headphone dropouts are a separate issue with wireless connectivity.

Stuff I've done:
- Using onboard Realtek audio, latest drivers I can find
- Double checked I don't have any weird enhancement on the audio.
- Audio is just a normal 3.5mm cable to speakers, nothing fancy happening post-computer.
- Nothing pops up in the event log looking particularly concerning, either.

Check your computer for latency issues: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon or similar
Alternatively use procmon from sysinternals to see what process is running at the precise time your sound is crackling.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

karoshi posted:

Check your computer for latency issues: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon or similar
Alternatively use procmon from sysinternals to see what process is running at the precise time your sound is crackling.

Thanks! I didn't know about Latencymon. Procmon hasn't really helped much unfortunately when I've used it; no big cpu spikes or anything that showed up that looked relevant.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
If all else fails you could get a USB sound card for less than :10bux: on Prime. I used one for OOTB drivers on OSX, and now use it in VM’s, so it’s been handy. That’s for if/when you’re ready to give up, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its highly likely its the system pausing rather than the audio being messed up.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Laslow posted:

If all else fails you could get a USB sound card for less than :10bux: on Prime. I used one for OOTB drivers on OSX, and now use it in VM’s, so it’s been handy. That’s for if/when you’re ready to give up, though.

I have two USB cards (one Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S and one Sound BlasterX G1) on my PC with the internal Realtek chip disabled just because I hate that terrible driver so much. With my MSI board, it will auto-install some Nahimic service crap through Windows Update as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

Procmon hasn't really helped much unfortunately when I've used it; no big cpu spikes or anything that showed up that looked relevant.

When it's happening, does it continue if you quit spotify and use a different program to play local audio from a mp3 or whatnot?

If the wireless headphones are bluetooth, that means it's not the realtek drivers at least. Troubleshooting that doesn't start with realtek? :wow:

Laslow posted:

A friend of mine bought a random $10 USB sound card, on my advice that "eh whatever cheap thing will work, doesn't need to be a brand", because I'd generally heard they're all more or less ok. And it turned out to be really goddamn awful, terrible sound quality and a constant low-level buzz in the output.

(OTOH he boycotts amazon and so got it on newegg, where all the $10 stuff was rando chinesium with no reviews.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Having anything on the desktop is haram.

I bothered to scrape a lot of the clutter from my old desktop and I look forward to dumping on this new one, I need all these untitled text documents and unsorted fonts and images.

Just built new rig, new windows install, been a while. Forgot what all I need to turn off, or what to futz with to get rid of their spying and cortana and such.

I momentarily used my Microsoft account to sign-in, which made my account name change and I guess it became a nanny. Was looking up a password and Microsoft made me put in my password to let chrome do it. Signed in locally instead to avoid that, and can't think of any reason to use it. I don't use any Office products and don't remember setting my Microsoft named to Tuna Weiner.

I'm assuming "windows hello" is some horrible act of UK violence to sign me in instead of just mashing the button?

Is the default windows Photos app still hot garbage and is the olde windows picture viewer still the substitute?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Khanstant posted:

I'm assuming "windows hello" is some horrible act of UK violence to sign me in instead of just mashing the button?

it's the biometrics / face recognition / dystopian eyeball-scanning sign in method

Khanstant posted:

Is the default windows Photos app still hot garbage and is the olde windows picture viewer still the substitute?

yes, olde windows photo viewer is even worse garbage, and the proper substitute is to get ifranview or xnview

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Another thing you can no longer do without a regedit/3rd party software (if i'm not mistaken): can't change the icon for a given file type separately from changing the associated program.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Klyith posted:

it's the biometrics / face recognition / dystopian eyeball-scanning sign in method

yes, olde windows photo viewer is even worse garbage, and the proper substitute is to get ifranview or xnview

Haha, it would be such a hassle to move webcam from facing privacy punishment corner to just log in.

Snagged xnview, thank you!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

I wouldn't say the old one was worse than the new "photos" app, it's way quicker

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Yeah. Nothing happened. Googling around it seems like this update includes an update to the Windows Update system files which apparently can get a little screwy and keep things from updating. Someone on reddit said they just did an in-place upgrade and it fixed things.

I made sure to run a backup this morning so I'll give it a shot now.

To follow-up on this for anyone else who may have the issue:

I did an in-place upgrade and it appears to have fixed the issue. Windows was able to install the updates last night and everything seems fine today.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have moved Dropbox's tray icon into the overflow area, but sometimes it moves itself back out. Is there any way to prevent it from doing that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HalloKitty posted:

I wouldn't say the old one was worse than the new "photos" app, it's way quicker

New photos is extremely bad, but the slowness switching pictures is because it uses an actually good resizing algorithm, unlike olde photo viewer

OTOH on second thought you're right, new photos is worse. But the reason is because it will repetedly grab the file extensions of all images for itself to be the default program, if you leave it installed. Olde photo viewer at least you didn't have to remove from your drive to keep your images using your chosen program to open. Blech.

hooah posted:

I have moved Dropbox's tray icon into the overflow area, but sometimes it moves itself back out. Is there any way to prevent it from doing that?

The overflow icons pop back if they update things like title or status, so that's probably why it keeps showing up. No solution other than exiting it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have this bullshit frame that shows up on my screen now every time I use an application that produces sound - Spotify, Teams, Firefox, you name it.

It came after a recent Windows 10 update. I have version 1909.

How do I get rid of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furism posted:

I have this bullshit frame that shows up on my screen now every time I use an application that produces sound - Spotify, Teams, Firefox, you name it.

It came after a recent Windows 10 update. I have version 1909.

How do I get rid of this?

You have to disable that feature in every application that uses it. It has been part of Windows 10 from the beginning, used to be a Windows 8 features. But recently, more and more applications have started using it.

There is no built-in global toggle to disable it.

For Spotify:

Firefox:
https://techdows.com/2020/09/how-to-disable-firefox-media-control.html