Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

There already is a grading scale for vinyl, so it would be hard. And those grading companies are basically scams, but you know, it comes with the industry. But starting one for vinyl would be tough because you already have a system everybody uses.

The other challenge is that grading vinyl is a little more in depth than grading a card. A journey record is 40 minutes. And you have to listen to all 40 to make sure the record is flawless.

I went to a few comic cons and you could pay to have a CGC employee witness you getting an autograph to verify its authenticity for when you have it graded and I can't imagine anything more joyless. It's also kind of a "gently caress you." to the creator because it just screams "I'm not here because I appreciate your work I just want some of that sweet, sweet ebay money.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cemetry Gator posted:

If I died, I could call up my local record store,

Ok, spotting one slight issue with this.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Cemetry Gator posted:

I imagine there's quite a few challenges.

First off, records are more popular than baseball cards. Like, even if you're really into baseball, you might not give a drat about the cards. But records? There are plenty of people with a passing interest in vinyl. That's why you have vinyl at Walmart and Target.

So if you want to sell a baseball card, you need to have it graded. It makes a huge change in the value. Your buyers are more limited, and thus, more selective.

But if you want to sell a record - it's easy. If I died, I could call up my local record store, and they could take my records off my hands and sell most of them in a reasonable time frame.

So if you're a seller, why bother. Sure, maybe you could sell your Journey record for 1000 bucks. But that will cost you time and money. On the other hand, you could also sell it for 10 pretty quickly. That's the one accurate thing about Pawn Stars. The top price is something you're not just going to get without a bit of luck and a lot of work - unless you have something people really want.

Oh yeah I don't disagree that that this isn't for everyone and at best is for a fraction of collectors. Even as someone who collects cards I don't care about buying anything graded and have only considered it for stuff that I want either some sort of extra protection to or would rather flip it and know I could get significantly more if it came back with a high grade. But a lot of record people are weird to begin with. People who just want a good playing copy wouldn't care for it, but you'd definitely have people who would go crazy for some high grade copy of an album, even if just to say they spent the money on it. Given how much other stuff in this hobby can go from cheap to reasonable to expensive to dear god why would you buy that, I'm just surprised nobody has tried to cash in on it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ok, spotting one slight issue with this.

every serious collector should have a recorded message on a dead man's switch ready to go so their next of kin dont wind up throwing out their ultra-rare thousand-dollar hot stampers in a 50 cent yard sale bin

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You joke but I have more past than future and I’m gonna make a Real Big List of all my valuable poo poo, someday

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
it would be really cool to have this oblivion npc recording famously sampled by people under the stairs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For those wondering what the rich millennials are buying it's pokemon cards and retro video games. I'm thankful that graded video games haven't caught on outside of the group of rich young professionals that dreamed it up, many of which seem to be comic book speculators looking to make the next big boom. Pokemon cards though? Hooboy I wonder what the backlog is at PSA to grade those. Last I knew it was several months to a year.

The lack of traction that video game grading is getting make me think that record grading won't be a thing beyond white hot stampers. Both are a form of media where you can get the content of said media elsewhere, the physical object isn't required to enjoy it.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 25, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

dorium posted:

I hope it was that one that had the Menendez brothers on it. They’re just chilling in some courts side seats watching the game.

I bought that one in 2019 for $15 and I waaaay overpaid then

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

PSA backlog is still a year, and they call that the 40 day service.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

For those wondering what the rich millennials are buying it's pokemon cards and retro video games. I'm thankful that graded video games haven't caught on outside of the group of rich young professionals that dreamed it up, many of which seem to be comic book speculators looking to make the next big boom. Pokemon cards though? Hooboy I wonder what the backlog is at PSA to grade those. Last I knew it was several months to a year.

The lack of traction that video game grading is getting make me think that record grading won't be a thing beyond white hot stampers. Both are a form of media where you can get the content of said media elsewhere, the physical object isn't required to enjoy it.

The kind of people who send poo poo into be "professionally graded" don't care about playing the game/reading the comic book. They just want to be able to say they have an expensive thing. I go to a comic book store weekly and let me tell you there is a special insanity in those places. I see guys spending in a week what I spend in a year. Maybe more. And they don't read any of it. With rare or valuable comic books there are plenty of reprints and digital editions. So I'm sure plenty of assholes would get records graded. There are already plenty of people who buy records they don't intend to play.

And just for fun here are some examples of comic book store guy behavior:

-One guy has a room in his house with a bust of Shakespeare that you can open up to push a button that slides open a bookcase. Behind said bookcase is a pole you can slide down to get into his basement with walls covered in graded books and filing cabinets full of expensive comic books.

-Another guy ended up building an addition onto his house because he had a kid and didn't want to give up his comic book room.

-My favorite of the bunch is a racist boomer who has to hide his purchases from his wife. He even has a method for this. He'll buy a few items with his credit card and then gets the more expensive poo poo in cash. The idea is that if he doesn't buy anything at all it looks suspicious.

-One guy brings in a little box that is the dimensions of a comic book so nothing happens to the books in transit.

You know what people I've never seen in there? Women. Not kidding.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
PSA and Beckett must be doing well

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

The kind of people who send poo poo into be "professionally graded" don't care about playing the game/reading the comic book. They just want to be able to say they have an expensive thing. I go to a comic book store weekly and let me tell you there is a special insanity in those places. I see guys spending in a week what I spend in a year. Maybe more. And they don't read any of it. With rare or valuable comic books there are plenty of reprints and digital editions. So I'm sure plenty of assholes would get records graded. There are already plenty of people who buy records they don't intend to play.

And just for fun here are some examples of comic book store guy behavior:

-One guy has a room in his house with a bust of Shakespeare that you can open up to push a button that slides open a bookcase. Behind said bookcase is a pole you can slide down to get into his basement with walls covered in graded books and filing cabinets full of expensive comic books.

-Another guy ended up building an addition onto his house because he had a kid and didn't want to give up his comic book room.

-My favorite of the bunch is a racist boomer who has to hide his purchases from his wife. He even has a method for this. He'll buy a few items with his credit card and then gets the more expensive poo poo in cash. The idea is that if he doesn't buy anything at all it looks suspicious.

-One guy brings in a little box that is the dimensions of a comic book so nothing happens to the books in transit.

Haha I have seen some insane pull boxes back when I had one. I would be spending $20-50 a month (that was about 4-6 books on my pull list and a couple others) and I thought that was way too much. But then I look over at dude next to me with 50 books in his box. Jesus dude wait for the TPB. The store accidentally gave my box away one week and broke up a couple of my runs. Blessing in disguise haha. Kinda when I decided that I should just focus on records as my crazy physical media obsession.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Maybe they sneak in when you're not there or the shop is run by old duffers that don't understand manga? Though I've only ever seen two other women in my local shop and I can't remember what they bought other than it was single issue stuff. Last week was the first time I saw a guy with the little special box, who came in and zeroed right in on the expensive comics on the wall. His wife was with him though she immediately took a seat by the wall. Since he and comic book guy began talking about key issues and prices and selling regrets and my eyes began to glaze over I excused myself, paid for my stuff and left. Better to get out of the way so comic book guy could potentially make a sale anyways. The most insane pullbox I've seen was a stack of books like an inch and a quarter thick and was $80-100 worth of stuff.

And regarding TCG cards, yeah not only are PSA and Beckett making out but CGC got into the game too and are also doing well because they got faster turnaround times. I'm mildly annoyed that graded cards have jumped so because I was having fun assembling a collection of the "world's dumbest Pokémon PSA cards" and now I can't anymore because even the garbage cards I was after are now $40 minimum. Oh well, more money for records!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My weekly pull is much more modest than it was when I was in my 20’s. I’ve scaled back considerably and shifted a lot of titles to digital.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I went to a comic shop a couple gears ago for a direct edition of MAD that had a reprint of Plop! #1 bound into it. It was a very tense experience.

Anyway I am interested in getting a few issues of Naughty Bits because I still remember the erotic comics of the 90s and a feminist take on them sounds like it could be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWvv5KTnmE

Why are we talking about comics.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Maybe they sneak in when you're not there or the shop is run by old duffers that don't understand manga? Though I've only ever seen two other women in my local shop and I can't remember what they bought other than it was single issue stuff. Last week was the first time I saw a guy with the little special box, who came in and zeroed right in on the expensive comics on the wall. His wife was with him though she immediately took a seat by the wall. Since he and comic book guy began talking about key issues and prices and selling regrets and my eyes began to glaze over I excused myself, paid for my stuff and left. Better to get out of the way so comic book guy could potentially make a sale anyways. The most insane pullbox I've seen was a stack of books like an inch and a quarter thick and was $80-100 worth of stuff.

And regarding TCG cards, yeah not only are PSA and Beckett making out but CGC got into the game too and are also doing well because they got faster turnaround times. I'm mildly annoyed that graded cards have jumped so because I was having fun assembling a collection of the "world's dumbest Pokémon PSA cards" and now I can't anymore because even the garbage cards I was after are now $40 minimum. Oh well, more money for records!

It's an old school comic book store that's kind of a dank pit. He doesn't sell manga unless you happen dig it out of one of the many, many long boxes in there. The majority of the clientele is late 40s- early 60s. At age 34 I'm one of the youngest of the regulars. But he also happens to just buy all kinds of poo poo people bring in. So one day you might go in there and suddenly he's got piles and piles of cool 70s books for low prices. Or he'll buy a box of old poo poo, pick out the key issues and valuable stuff and everything else is a bucks a piece which is great if you're building runs of old stuff. There are records too of varying quality and he sells them real cheap. I got Master of Reality and Marvin Gaye Live in there for five bucks a piece yesterday. Sometimes he has guitar pedals for good prices. Swinging back to records, he use to get them (covid slowed that down) a lot from storage locker guys and those guys who get paid to clean out dead people houses. So of course this jerkoff who sells poo poo for sky high prices downtown comes in there and clears poo poo out so he can mark them up anywhere from four to ten (no, really) times the price. So it's also a wacky junk shop in addition to a comic book store. And it's sort of a clubhouse for all those weirdos. There's a second comic book store down the street that's friendlier to the general public because it's part of a small chain and you occasionally do see women in there. But a friend of mine worked in there for three years and she has some horrible, horrible stories and she got hit on by the creepiest of creeps on a daily basis. One guy actually had to be banned from the store. So even the "nice" comic book stores are fully of nutcases, weirdos, and chuds. All the stuff I like is a gallery of the worst goddamn people. When I was in high school I went into a comic book store with my cousin for an issue of Batman and it was Magic night and when we walked in it was like a record scratch. in a movie. It just went dead silent and everyone in there was leering at her. Comic book guys are the worst guys.

pwn posted:

Why are we talking about comics.

It's a thread focusing on a bunch of grown rear end people who piss away entirely too much money on goofy poo poo that rapidly piles up. It's not too much of a stretch.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 26, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Be into cool things and only talk about them on old dumb and dead forums.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Be into cool things and only talk about them on old dumb and dead forums.

It's amazing how effective a filter that ten dollar membership fee is.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

It's amazing how effective a filter that ten dollar membership fee is.

It truly is. It’s easier to find pockets of communities here than anywhere else on the internet. This dead website has truly survived some dumb stuff and exists in a weird void of not just being monetarily prohibitive but there’s a weird aura to SA outside these walls that also keeps people out, which is a mixed blessing but they’ll find their way in if they want it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

It truly is. It’s easier to find pockets of communities here than anywhere else on the internet. This dead website has truly survived some dumb stuff and exists in a weird void of not just being monetarily prohibitive but there’s a weird aura to SA outside these walls that also keeps people out, which is a mixed blessing but they’ll find their way in if they want it.

Something Awful definitely has issues, but browsing the comments on absolutely any youtube video or comments section on a new article really shows you how much worse the internet gets. And that's saying nothing of social media or most any other forum.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

All the stuff I like is a gallery of the worst goddamn people. When I was in high school I went into a comic book store with my cousin for an issue of Batman and it was Magic night and when we walked in it was like a record scratch. in a movie. It just went dead silent and everyone in there was leering at her. Comic book guys are the worst guys.

Did every gamer get sucked into another dimension, where nobody in our realm ever has to interact with them again? Because as long as they’re around, they are boom stamp The Worst.

I say this as someone who enjoys playing games. People who self-identify as “gamers” are nearly-universally insufferable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Did every gamer get sucked into another dimension, where nobody in our realm ever has to interact with them again? Because as long as they’re around, they are boom stamp The Worst.

I say this as someone who enjoys playing games. People who self-identify as “gamers” are nearly-universally insufferable.

I like playing Modern Warfare so I can assure you all the worst people are still there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well you either have to interact with the racists on CoD or the pederasts who play Smash Bros. That is “Gaming” culture.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Back onto the thread topic, does anyone know where I can find the Rhino Black Sabbath reissues from 2006-07ish? I'm pretty sure those were all analog pressings and even if they're not they were derived from the original tapes. I have Paranoid from that series and it's definitely one of the best sounding records in my collection. It was also one of the first records I ever bought. I also have the s/t. For some reason newer editions didn't use those masters. I looked on discogs but they're filed under one of those year unknown listings and the ones I want have never sold on there according to those pages. I mean they probably did but mostly likely the people selling them didn't know which pressings they are. Naturally the first two are the only ones with a specified year on discogs.

edit: I'm stupid, they're on here under 2010. Paranoid came a few years before.

edit 2: Some of them are "unknown" but clearly the same editions. I don't know why. What a roller coaster of emotions!

dorium posted:

Well you either have to interact with the racists on CoD or the pederasts who play Smash Bros. That is “Gaming” culture.

Hey, they're not all racists! A lot of them are vehement homophobes.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 26, 2021

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021
Anyone here collect vaporwave vinyl?

Click here to visit Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe A Nostalgic Y2K Community Forum

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Y2KayBug posted:

Anyone here collect vaporwave vinyl?

Paging Detective no. 27 to the thread. In the mean time I assume you're camped out on My Pet Flamingo's bandcamp page? I keep letting them spam my inbox in the hopes I'll find a vaporwave album I like enough to buy.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
vapor vinyl is cool but it's the sort of thing you have to pounce on immediately or it skyrockets to 4x the price which is super loving obnoxious

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

JAMOOOL posted:

vapor vinyl is cool but it's the sort of thing you have to pounce on immediately or it skyrockets to 4x the price which is super loving obnoxious

yeah, i’ve only been lucky a few times with that:

kind of a bummer as the pressing not as good as it could be and it’s my favorite telepath / hke collab.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If anyone has a line on a copy of Surfing - Deep Fantasy for not three figures that would be swell.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JAMOOOL posted:

I'll admit I don't quite "get" vaporwave. Is it just slowed down/glitched mall muzak? I dig some of what I have heard but, yeah, the price of entry is pretty steep. Wonder if the quick print runs are because the samples aren't cleared.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

sporklift posted:

I'll admit I don't quite "get" vaporwave. Is it just slowed down/glitched mall muzak? I dig some of what I have heard but, yeah, the price of entry is pretty steep. Wonder if the quick print runs are because the samples aren't cleared.

a lot of the lazy stuff is, I think at this point "vaporwave" casts a pretty wide net, something like George Clanton is miles away from say Macintosh Plus or Chuck Person. there's a lotta great stuff there though

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

JAMOOOL posted:

a lot of the lazy stuff is, I think at this point "vaporwave" casts a pretty wide net, something like George Clanton is miles away from say Macintosh Plus or Chuck Person. there's a lotta great stuff there though

Slide is such a next-level album with respect to his whole trajectory. I love to see the evolution of production from the early days of using Sega samples on ESPRIT records. I'm not a fan of 311, but the recent stuff he did with Nick Hexum is pretty wild considering the whole genre started as a culmination of 90s nostalgia / memes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I know vaporwave is big enough to have subgenres and I probably need to look into those more as most vaporware is too ambient and chill for my taste. I need something that leans closer to Lazerhawk's works. Also apparently Sovietwave is a thing and it's all about nostalgia for the glorious space future promised in old Soviet propaganda. I didn't dive too deep into that one on youtube.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got some new stuff in the mail today

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Enos Cabell posted:

High in Fire kicks rear end nice choice

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vaporwave is interesting in that the genre essentially died off before it got noticed, so everything that came afterwards is (for the most part) a lot of new people who were influenced by the first wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLtIGsIOPg

^^ is a personal favorite of first wave stuff that just really nailed what it was going for, and got me into the genre back what is almost ten years ago now. When the 'The way you look tonight' sample hits, it's just loving bliss.

My copy of Floral Shoppe should be here any day now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

If you wanted to show off your new skeleton why did you put a bunch of records on it?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enos Cabell posted:

Hell yes

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gonna have to balance that out with a couple of Om albums, too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

beeker posted:

Slide is such a next-level album with respect to his whole trajectory. I love to see the evolution of production from the early days of using Sega samples on ESPRIT records. I'm not a fan of 311, but the recent stuff he did with Nick Hexum is pretty wild considering the whole genre started as a culmination of 90s nostalgia / memes.

I really like the Nick Hexum album, thought it was maybe too lightweight to really be that good but I've replayed it a ton. it's not as good as Slide but to be fair it's a much better produced record - I love Clanton but kinda hate the way he produces his stuff - so this makes me pretty hopeful