Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wow can’t wait to get an RTX 3060 for $624.99 from best buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-12gb-xlr8-gaming-revel-epic-x-rgb-single-fan-graphics-card/6454318.p?skuId=6454318

Can I invest in GPUs instead of stocks somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

To throw another stick on the pile: Samsung, TSMC chip production at risk amid water shortages

Samsung's S2 Fab in Austin, Texas. Which already had to cease production due to the rolling power blackouts is now suffering from a water shortage due to the freezing of local rivers and water supply networks.

Taiwan meanwhile is in serve drought and the government has ordered rationing due to the water reservoir falling below 20%. TSMC is contracting water trucks to try to maintain production levels at it's factories.

Lol at multiple global crises rolling together into a Katamari Damacy of disaster

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
So it's 5AM, then, I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

Can I invest in GPUs instead of stocks somehow

Nvidia's stock was at $180 in march. It is at $580 at the moment.

e: (im not recommending everyone jump into the market right now and obvi thats distorted by the crash this time last year!!)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 25, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at multiple global crises rolling together into a Katamari Damacy of disaster
Don't worry, when the typhoons return they will also take out facilities and drive the prices even higher.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nvidia was at $570 when they announced the Ampere GeForce cards so it's not like the stock is being boosted by the current demand crunch

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Can't I pay with my life force directly instead of expending it in this elaborate buying ritual?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

Can't I pay with my life force directly instead of expending it in this elaborate buying ritual?
Is this close enough?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

shrike82 posted:

:sickos: can't wait to see how much higher GPU prices can go up

If things do get worse and we get to a point that used 3080s are selling for $2500-$3000, I'll have no choice but to sell and put old faithful back in my PCI slot (GT 710).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

To throw another stick on the pile: Samsung, TSMC chip production at risk amid water shortages

Samsung's S2 Fab in Austin, Texas. Which already had to cease production due to the rolling power blackouts is now suffering from a water shortage due to the freezing of local rivers and water supply networks.

Taiwan meanwhile is in serve drought and the government has ordered rationing due to the water reservoir falling below 20%. TSMC is contracting water trucks to try to maintain production levels at it's factories.

NVIDIA's chips are mostly (apart from enterprise) produced at Samsung's newer lines in South Korea,. S2 fab is listed on wikipedia as producing "Microprocessors, FDSOI, Foundry, NAND", not even GDDR is listed, so maybe apart from worsening the generalized situation for things like VRM circuitry this isn't going to have much impact on NVIDIA.

Bad news for AMD though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1364847619101634560?s=20

lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

You know this makes you an expert investor right? Could you tell me how to invest my money? Thanks!

Maybe my conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio will also pay off!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The CMPs are using Turing silicon so at least they're not using up NVs 8nm fab allocation

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1364931822333870083?s=19

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Incredible that all of these 10bn+ chip fab facilities are completely dependent on climate change not happening, truly a chefs kiss moment for humanity and the perfect encapsulation of how capitalism has destroyed us. We're shipping in water to keep making the chips that power the trash that is causing water shortages.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The reviews are in for the 3060 and they seem to range from "it's fine" to "it's fine but wait for a 3060 ti"

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

The reviews are in for the 3060 and they seem to range from "it's fine" to "it's fine but wait for a 3060 ti"

If I have a 1070 should I even bother “upgrading”?

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on right now.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ghost of RBG posted:

The 3060 trades blows with a 2060 Super. Unless you really want DLSS and entry-level raytracing I would hold off, because you're unlikely to see more than 33% faster performance in general. And that may be optimistic.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Will the continuing availability/pricing problems for GPUs will have an effect on the graphics features being targeted by current in-production games?

It's not just RTX, studios will probably continue to target an older gen of base hardware performance for a year or two longer than they would have even though the 30xx and 60xx cards exist. Consoles may be the high-end PCs for the next couple of years, in terms of perf targets.

I got back home to my PC after 2 months away thinking that *now* is when I'll run that bot and snag that 3080. But after firing up CP 2077 again and still being happy with its performance for my needs on this OCed 5700, I didn't do any of that. The current GPU availability logjam is probably going to extend that 5700's life by a year or two I would think ... whether I want it to or not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost of RBG posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3060-dual-oc/29.html

if you're gaming at 1080p I'd say the GTX 1070 should still be good

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

v1ld posted:

Will the continuing availability/pricing problems for GPUs will have an effect on the graphics features being targeted by current in-production games?

It's not just RTX, studios will probably continue to target an older gen of base hardware performance for a year or two longer than they would have even though the 30xx and 60xx cards exist. Consoles may be the high-end PCs for the next couple of years, in terms of perf targets.

I got back home to my PC after 2 months away thinking that *now* is when I'll run that bot and snag that 3080. But after firing up CP 2077 again and still being happy with its performance for my needs on this OCed 5700, I didn't do any of that. The current GPU availability logjam is probably going to extend that 5700's life by a year or two I would think ... whether I want it to or not.

Graphical fidelity in games seems mostly driven by console hardware generations - and this console generation is just as screwed, if not more, than the GPU market. I think most games are going to be optimized for lower end hardware for quite a while yet. Oh, and COVID has set back game development way more than a lot of people realise, and we're only going to see the real effects of that over the next few years.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3060-dual-oc/29.html

if you're gaming at 1080p I'd say the GTX 1070 should still be good

Thank you! I guess I’ll wait until I can get a better 30xx. In three years or so :shepface:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My wallet is very thankful for the 3060 benchmarks being extremely unimpressive so I can wait a bit longer before going rabid to upgrade my 1060.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I can't help but think nVidia made a huge deal out of the hash nerf to shape the narrative and mask the fact that you have to OC a 3060 to get 2060S performance.

When the real story should've been "the x60 shouldn't be seen as the 'good value' part anymore, but the 'you can eat stale cake' part."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, if anything this is just making it easier to put a little more money away and save up for 3080.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

Oh, and COVID has set back game development way more than a lot of people realise, and we're only going to see the real effects of that over the next few years.

That's a really good point. The crunchers will have been more heavily impacted than orgs with healthier, sustainable dev practices by Covid work from home.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

On the plus side, the more COVID sets back game development timelines, the longer you'll get value out of your 30-series GPU*!

* with apologies to those who still can't get one. :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009
reBAR/SAM only available to Zen 3 and Intel 10/11 for the time being.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1364946924219076611

It seems like a great feature, but adoption is gonna be a mess.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

For me its the gap between the 3060 & the consoles more than anything else, especially at the inflated price points. To be well behind them (yeah yeah DLSS) and in so expensively just doesn't really make sense to me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ufarn posted:

Welp, so much for my 9900K, Z390, and explicit mention in the newest BIOS of reBAR support.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I actually feel really good about my decision to go in on a 3060Ti in December instead of my original plan of "eh, stretch out the RX 580 to next year, pick up a 3060 or even a 3050 when it comes out" given A. what's happened to the market and B. how much farther behind the 3060 is

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i have 4 1080 Tis lying in a closet, 2 RTX Titans and a A6000 now.
i should start mining or something

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Welp, so much for my 9900K, Z390, and explicit mention in the newest BIOS of reBAR support.
It feels a lot like the PCI-e 4 mess on Ryzen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol i have 4 1080 Tis lying in a closet, 2 RTX Titans and a A6000 now.
i should start mining or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ufarn posted:

Wasn't Zen-3 only always the plan for resizable BAR?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

nvidia was making noise about making it available widely to try to make it seem like AMD was blocking widespread adoption

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

exquisite tea posted:

for AMD, but people assumed that was to move their high end GPUs. i understand it's a solved problem in unix and has been for a long time so idk if it's a technical problem or a marketing one?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It was for AMD cards. nvidia wasn't definitive on that before.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It was the initial announcement, yes. I think they might have mentioned 500-series motherboards as another requirement, too. All of this was before Nvidia announced they were going to support it (together with Intel CPUs), so basically we were looking to see what the reaction would be post-Nvidia support.

And then you have stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1339845748167495685

e: what people above said

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is this only for 3xxx cards? Article only mentions those. Not surprising if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

it was AMD that was saying "you need to pair a Zen 3 CPU and an RDNA2 GPU for the set bonus"

it was NVidia that said "well we can make that work with NVidia GPUs also"

and it was Intel who said "well we can make that work with Intel CPUs also"