Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the former cbs all access announced some more soccer rights

https://twitter.com/paramountplus/status/1364703751861280768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

There are also new pricing tier for Paramount+ in June.

$4.99/month for Base with Ads
$9.99/month for Premium w/ no ads

Base has exclusive live sports
Premium has Base + more CBS live sports.

I wonder whether they will stick like the Brazilian league and the Argentine league in "more CBS live sports" and like NWSL/UEFA competitions on Base.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

psyer posted:

There are also new pricing tier for Paramount+ in June.

$4.99/month for Base with Ads
$9.99/month for Premium w/ no ads

Base has exclusive live sports
Premium has Base + more CBS live sports.

I wonder whether they will stick like the Brazilian league and the Argentine league in "more CBS live sports" and like NWSL/UEFA competitions on Base.

I would expect the reverse, with the Brazilian and Argentine leagues in the base and the Champions League in the higher tier.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cowherd hit that point again where he got really honest about how his show works, and aside from his obsession with Baker Mayfield, admitted he's got no real reason to troll smaller media markets.

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1364663193688285190

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Cowherd hit that point again where he got really honest about how his show works, and aside from his obsession with Baker Mayfield, admitted he's got no real reason to troll smaller media markets.

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1364663193688285190

Incredibly rich for a guy who you’d think would know better.

But then I refuse to get mad or think much about Cowherd anymore so.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would expect the reverse, with the Brazilian and Argentine leagues in the base and the Champions League in the higher tier.

I’m going to guess that all soccer will be in the premium tier.

Maybe one CL and EL game featuring an English team will be on the base one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Isn't Premiere League going to Peacock?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't Premiere League going to Peacock?

Prem is on peacock, Serie A and Bundesliga are on ESPN+ and La Liga and Ligue 1 are on BeIN. Don’t think that’s changing next season.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/1365394470787809282

e: it also says thursday night games are going from fox to amazon

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 26, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Thursday night football was such a bad loving deal for Fox. You pay a ton of money and have the fully responsibility for producing the show including using your own talent and production crews but you don't get exclusive broadcasting rights?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Thursday night football was such a bad loving deal for Fox. You pay a ton of money and have the fully responsibility for producing the show including using your own talent and production crews but you don't get exclusive broadcasting rights?
Also the players hate playing the games and most of the games suck.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Crazy Ted posted:

Also the players hate playing the games and most of the games suck.

Most nfl games suck, this is not a TNF phenomenon

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Most nfl games suck, this is not a TNF phenomenon
The Thursday night game have, by and large, been particularly bad because asking players to play a game on what is usually three nights' rest is a terrible idea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Dakich is back on his bullshit and now includes doxxing his critics as part of his repertoire

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the pool thing is bizarre is he threatening to rape her or something? Dakich is so loving gross it's insane he still has a national job.

Also not nearly as bad as this and more just amusing but he is the biggest name searcher on Twitter and once got in a fight with a friend of mine on there in the middle of a game he was calling. Also loves to name search for Steve Alford to defend the honor of a rapist enabling piece of poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BayAreaGringo/status/1364660353070559234?s=20

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

the pool thing is bizarre is he threatening to rape her or something? Dakich is so loving gross it's insane he still has a national job.

Also not nearly as bad as this and more just amusing but he is the biggest name searcher on Twitter and once got in a fight with a friend of mine on there in the middle of a game he was calling. Also loves to name search for Steve Alford to defend the honor of a rapist enabling piece of poo poo.

everyone associated with the bob knight era of indiana should be sent out on an ice floe, imo (other than like calbert cheaney i guess)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What blows my mind is that at a time that ESPN is just chopping jobs left and right, he's somehow dodged it all. Dude's constantly been pulling this poo poo and even getting into it with his ESPN colleagues, he's not all that good on the mic, I can't imagine he's making a ton, how has he not been caught up in all of these job cuts?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN says they're looking into Dakich's comments. Lord knows if it'll actually go anywhere but there you are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Broadcast pioneer Irv Cross has died at age 81.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

ESPN says they're looking into Dakich's comments. Lord knows if it'll actually go anywhere but there you are.
Which number of time is this that they've had to "look" into Dakich's comments now? I think I've lost track.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1367155760766062594

I couldn't put this any better than Spencer has

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
man my italian uncle got me a baggio jersey when that tournament was going on and one of my earliest memories is people talking about that kick everywhere, or at least it seemed like it. looking forward to that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Dakich deleted his twitter and got a talking-to, no apparent punishment beyond that

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1367555160436785159
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1367581691716460549

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Athletic is saying Bob Stoops will take over Urban Meyer's role on Fox Sports' college football pregame show

E: also those Skip/Stephen A stories are kind of wild. ESPN really is going all in on ESPN+

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

The Athletic is saying Bob Stoops will take over Urban Meyer's role on Fox Sports' college football pregame show

E: also those Skip/Stephen A stories are kind of wild. ESPN really is going all in on ESPN+

cable is dying and disney really wants to sell those bundles

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Declan MacManus posted:

If that’s true, then when the hell are they going to offer a true ESPN standalone streaming service? Obviously that will devalue their cable contracts (since it essentially kills cable), but they have to pull the trigger at some point.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

With the way people are starting to get nickel-and-dimed on streaming services I'm really thinking that the death of cable is going to take longer than people think it will.

I crunched the numbers with my wife last week, and we figured out that if we cut cable and went Internet only, paying for the streaming stuff we'd need to be able to watch what we usually do would mean Internet Only + Streaming Purchases would save us maybe $10 a month from our Cable + Internet bundle ($125 v $135).

Internet only is really the economical option for people who just don't watch much TV to begin with.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 8, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cable definitely makes more financial sense for a lot of people but I think the idea of buying cable has become so foreign to people under 25 that cable is still is on death's door.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Cable definitely makes more financial sense for a lot of people but I think the idea of buying cable has become so foreign to people under 25 that cable is still is on death's door.
And I still think that with the price of streaming slowly creeping up it's going to hit a tipping point where people, even younger people, are going to start looking for alternatives, and going back to a cable + internet bundle could very well be one of them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm pretty sure Cable is cheaper than ever streaming service combined now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it? I don't watch that much TV, so when we did our look at things we didn't go quite that deep into it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have Spectrum, and Spectrum TV Gold (the highest package) is $113.99 per month before taking into account bundling discounts. That may seem a bit high, but I get HBO (including HBO Max), Showtime, and Starz included with that price, among a zillion other premium channels.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How many if those streaming services do you pay for with cable anyway?

Like yah, I probably pay about what I did before but even with cable I'd probably want Netflix and Disney+ at a minimum, and I'd probably pay for NBA league pass anyway since I want to watch more than just national and local teams.

So its not strictly about saving money, more like with streaming services I get what I actually want and cable is superflous.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

YouTube TV and internet is $10-15 more expensive than the Spectrum TV/internet bundle I had for years, but I considered that worth it for YTTV's features and having one less Spectrum product to deal with. Now that all the RSNs have been pulled from streaming services and are pretty much cable-only, however, I'm gonna be forced to go back. I literally only have live TV for sports, and cord-cutting was frankly never a real option for people like that until recently (and now it's not an option yet again, yay).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Like yah, I probably pay about what I did before but even with cable I'd probably want Netflix and Disney+ at a minimum, and I'd probably pay for NBA league pass anyway since I want to watch more than just national and local teams.

So its not strictly about saving money, more like with streaming services I get what I actually want and cable is superflous.
I think it depends on what you watch. For a lot of the on-demand streaming sites I've used via my Roku box, if you have cable you can watch much of their programming for free as long as you're willing to put up with occasional ads.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For sure, but is that necessary? One thing with streaming is that you have the flexibility to pause and start services and that you don't need to have them all running constantly. If I burn out on whatever's available on Netflix or if I simply don't have the time to watch any TV, I can cancel/pause my account and come back in a few months. With cable, you're paying for everything all of the time no matter what.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lockback posted:

It's easier to share Prime Video logins than to share cable TV, I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I was chased back to cable because it is impossible to watch the Yankees locally without it or illegal streams, and I'm too old and cranky to get a shady illegal stream working on my TV.

YES used to be available on every service and now it's available on zero. It was nice when cord-cutting was viable for sports fans but those days are over if you don't want to go the illegal streaming route.