Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public Mobile. They're on Telus towers so coverage is great.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/plans/35for1GB-3Gspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bilirubin posted:

Where can the best deals be had these days?

You enter stasis until its Back to School season which is the only time of year the carriers compete.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Public looks very cool indeed, except for one thing: no international roaming. I suppose I could always buy a SIM when in Euroland I guess. Assuming we can ever travel again of course.

shadow puppet of a posted:

You enter stasis until its Back to School season which is the only time of year the carriers compete.

Yeah that might be the best idea, especially given my older phone and the 5G rollout. First I will take these Public prices to haggle with retention and see what can do I guess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm on a grandfathered PM plan which has something like 8.5GB (I am never close), unlimited US calling and ~600MB of US roaming (or something like that). And the US calling is US to Canada, not just Canada to US.

Sucks that there is no other international roaming, but it's not a biggie for how rarely I leave NA anyhow.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Isn't it still cheaper to buy a month of us/eu service if you want roaming data than to use the cartel?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Absolutely.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it just me or has cell service pricing gotten vastly more reasonable in the past couple of years? I’m sure we still suck internationally but I don’t have quite the same level of ire towards Robelus these days.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not on the low end. It's literally impossible to get a $10/gb ratio with prepay under $50. It's typically half that or worse, with Rogers being way, way worse ($60/1gb)

The Public Mobile Plan was $120 every three months for 12gb, with discounts for referrals, autopay, and per year of service. At my current discount level it comes to $34/month (I need more referrals :( ).
And for their sin of benefitting the consumer, they were consigned to have only 3g data speed for new customers ever since.

Rogers delenda est

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 25, 2021

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

Not on the low end. It's literally impossible to get a $10/gb ratio with prepay under $50. It's typically half that or worse, with Rogers being way, way worse ($60/1gb)

The Public Mobile Plan was $120 every three months for 12gb, with discounts for referrals, autopay, and per year of service. At my current discount level it comes to $34/month (I need more referrals :( ).
And for their sin of benefitting the consumer, they were consigned to have only 3g data speed for new customers ever since.

Rogers delenda est

Low end - the monthly charge is zero if you have shaw internet, but nevermind that bundling discount:

However I think the central thesis is wrong - mobile pricing still blows in Canada, we've just mostly aged into housing costs making mobile bills trivial in comparison.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ That still ends up being $45/3gb, and it's not prepaid. In fact, Shaw doesn't offer any prepaid plans.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 25, 2021

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

^ That still ends up being $45/3gb, and it's not prepaid. In fact, Shaw doesn't offer any prepaid plans.

Okay, well, these two are prepaid. Didn't bother looking at Freedom as I thought they'd killed it and rebranded to Shaw:

Confusingly, the second one says "3GB" when not expanded, so I believe it's 2 GB base + 1GB bonus...

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 25, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I used to have them, but I left because their coverage was so bad it would vary block to block. :-S

Like, the service would literally fluctuate as I rode the bus, and I was only streaming 64kbps aac

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 25, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have the Shaw Gig+ or whatever so the 25Gig/unlimited for $25 is really tempting - is it worth jumping from Fido? Will my reception be totally horrible in suburban greater vancouver?

I think I asked this before and it sounded underwhelming, maybe it has gotten better in.. the 2 weeks since last time but I totally forget :haw:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

I have the Shaw Gig+ or whatever so the 25Gig/unlimited for $25 is really tempting - is it worth jumping from Fido? Will my reception be totally horrible in suburban greater vancouver?

I think I asked this before and it sounded underwhelming, maybe it has gotten better in.. the 2 weeks since last time but I totally forget :haw:

Shaw bought Wind and if coverage is anything like it was when it was Wind I wouldn't do it. I couldn't get reception in any of the arenas, underground malls, or when I walked under a skytrain overpass.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 26, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Shaw bought Wind and if coverage is anything like it was when it was Wind I wouldn't do it. I couldn't get reception in any of the arenas, underground malls, or when I walked under askytrain overpass.

Yeah this. I would lose signal in supermarkets all the time.
iirc Wind bought a chunk of the 600/700mhz spectrum, which T-Mobile is using for low-band 5G, so maybe their service has/will get better, but who knows.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 26, 2021

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Freedom post Wind branding running on band 66 on an iPhone has been very good to very suburban me.

Not that I'd get enough calls to notice them not coming in, nor do I livestream from culverts and catacombs.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

Rogers delenda est

You can with fizz, you just have to lie about your address if you're not in Quebec or Ottawa.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kijiji gem

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know if they still do it, but buying phones directly from Wind would usually have an extra $100 tacked onto MSRP, while still only offering black.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but buying phones directly from Wind would usually have an extra $100 tacked onto MSRP, while still only offering black.

look, we need one Black-positive place in Canada okay

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mister Facetious posted:

Now they’re just pandering to Justin Trudeau.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My curiosity won out and I ordered the Shaw SIMs and just am trying it out now in the tricities near Vancouver (da burbs).

So far at my house it’s not great, getting 1-2 LTE bars dropping to 3G and not even able to use the speedtest app when wifi is disabled. Will see what it’s like when out in the park (the main place I go that isn’t covered by wifi) and if it sucks either wait for Fido to try to woo me back (they apparently do that I’ve read) or check out rogers/telus options.

No big deal it was worth a try and I had really needed to improve my plan for a bit now so even if shaw isn’t the answer I had to see if it’d work for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaw wireless update after a few days of use: I actually quite like it, with data being totally fine in the places I've gone - admittedly not too many in pandemic times, but even normally I don't go many spots. I'm going to keep it. Added visual voicemail for +$4.

My house area is pretty much where it is the worst I find, ironically, which isn't a big deal because of the wifi calling anyway. The local large park I go to walk the dogs gets very good reception and I was able to get over 7Mbit using speedtest.

Fido sent me an email a couple days after the switch saying to expect a call but I have all unknown callers silenced anyway and it doesn't seem to do caller ID correctly right now even though it should be supported. Probably will have to talk to Shaw support about that but I kind of prefer just having all calls silenced and straight to voicemail anyway :haw:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canadian Cellular: Visual Voicemail Is Down To $4 Now!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I don't know what visual voicemail even is. I am a bad phone customer.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Looks like it’s still $5 on Telus. Also it’s a feature that lets you listen to voicemail with an app like interface and tapping on an audio message, instead of dialling a voicemail system like it’s the early 2000s again. It’s really, really stupid that this is a pay feature in 2021.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yep it's pretty ridiculous. Buuuut I do love the transcribe so I don't even have to listen to a potential spam call voicemail.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Imagine leaving a voicemail instead of hanging up and texting. In fact, forget the call all together. Might as well send a loving fax while we're at it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Imagine leaving a voicemail instead of hanging up and texting. In fact, forget the call all together. Might as well send a loving fax while we're at it.

Ooh, visual faxes are only $7 now. :newlol:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I thought visual voicemail was a service on the old Vista 350 that Bell sent to everyone way back when they wanted you to shop for oil changes and Florida vacations via the Gameboy screen 90's Bell understanding of the in-home Information Superhighway. Visual voicemail meant that its would say "One Voicemail" on your screen rather than loving with your dialtone

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rogers is buying Shaw.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-signs-deal-buy-shaw-1.5949825

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

On the bright side, maybe Wind's coverage won't be poo poo now. :stonklol:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha like they care about the low end brands.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You mean dodging the big 3 (who are actually 4) had become harder now there are only three options?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe the telco competition board wi-ahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahhhhooohoohohoohohoho-wipes tear from eye - roll over and approve it instantly.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Stock market seems fairly skeptical about the odds of it going through, announced with buyout price of a bit more than 40/share, currently trading at 32 - about half the difference.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sassafras posted:

Stock market seems fairly skeptical about the odds of it going through, announced with buyout price of a bit more than 40/share, currently trading at 32 - about half the difference.

"If only the investors knew you the way Canadians do, Belloch CRTC..."
- Raiders of the Lost Market Competition

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 15, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lmao so Bell dropped my monthly mobility bill by $20 per month and increased my data from 500Meg to 5Gig. Today was the day of plan change and instead they appear to have made it impossible to connect to wireless data FML

Their customer service folks are a dumb as a bag of hammers

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Bilirubin posted:

lmao so Bell dropped my monthly mobility bill by $20 per month and increased my data from 500Meg to 5Gig. Today was the day of plan change and instead they appear to have made it impossible to connect to wireless data FML

Their customer service folks are a dumb as a bag of hammers

Make sure you restart your phone after plan changes on the "server side".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WienerDog posted:

Make sure you restart your phone after plan changes on the "server side".

Do you work for Bell?

Sorry, that came out snarky. Let me try again.

If after restarting my phone 10 times on two different APNs what do