Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

This is what I'm using at home now, on recommendation of a friend who spends as much time typing as I do: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

Cringey company name, but a black aluminum full size keyboard with programmable LEDs and browns that was in stock for a hundred bucks shipped was good enough for me without going down a rabbit hole.

I have the tenkeyless version of this. It's nicely built, and the only logo/text is on the backside. The ability to change the switch is actually really nice. I started with reds, then put heavy clicky switches on Caps, Win, Esc. After a few weeks of gaming on it, I think reds are a little too light, and I'm putting Kailh Berry switches on it instead, for a little firmer press.

Also, being all in on Android/Pixel, I like that it's USB C and I can move more accessories that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

I went with the red switch version instead. I want something quiet, not CLACKCLACKCLACK. Unfortunately the LEDs are only red. I kinda want rainbows.

.... and they wound up cancelling it on me. :argh: I'm gonna wait for another red or brown switch to pop up at a decent price, preferably backlit. I'd just run to Fry's, since they still had a reasonable selection of gaming (and "gaming") keyboards, but uh... yeah, they ded.

I MIGHT try the blue switch version, $27 is hard to beat. But that's supposedly one of the loudest.

Hey I might have an Alienware with brown switches at my store, I forgot AMEX had a $100 rebate there. I’ll check what kind it is and if you want it I’ll send it to you. Brand new but let me check what type of switches

edit: i just went and checked it says red switches

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 24, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Anyone here use a waterpik or water flosser of any sort? Would recommend? Wouldn't? Better than traditional flossing or what?

I have one but don't use it all the time, just every once in awhile because it's a bit cumbersome to take out and set up compared to just regular flossing. But it's great to use now and then for a "deep cleaning" so to speak.

Just make sure you turn it off before you take it out of your mouth or you'll waterpik your eyeball like I did

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

I MIGHT try the blue switch version, $27 is hard to beat. But that's supposedly one of the loudest.

Depends a bit on the keyboard brand but yeah blue is louder than the other switches.

I sent my Unicomp keyboard in to be fixed. I'm excited to have it back.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

STR posted:

I went with the red switch version instead. I want something quiet, not CLACKCLACKCLACK...

If you're coming from membrane switches even reds, or switches labeled 'quiet,' will still be louder than you're used to because instead of there being a rubber dome at the end of key travel it's plastic-on-plastic. I'm still retraining myself to not mash the keys because the switch actuates at ~25% travel instead of 100%, so the noise level varies a lot as I type. Especially since the one key I cannot stop suplexing from orbit is spacebar, the loudest key on the board.

Clicky type makes a click when the switch closes, so it's easier to tell when you can stop pressing down (browns are much more subtle, which is why people deride them as 'scratchy reds') which might help you not bottom out and make your typing quieter.

Hopefully the typing noise is acceptable to you/your environment because trying to get really quiet seems to be a quick route to mechkey insanity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

Ah, very cool - I actually interviewed for a job as a hotwheels designer - a friend of mine is one already - Shortly after I interviewed I got the news that the position had been taken by some whiz kid from a heavy duty design school that actually studied transpo design. were you able to check out the Automobile driving museum which is also right there? cool little spot that flys totally under the radar. I've been in to the mattel offices too - great place.

Sadly, I did not make the time to go to the Driving Museum. Guess that's another one I will need to visit if and when I'm that way again.
I did drive up PCH, and almost stopped at Neptune's Net, but it was only 3 PM and crowded, so I kept going for another hour or so, and found a seafood shack on the beach that served me a gigantic plate of Everything for a ridiculously cheap price, which I ate at their picnic tables also on the beach. I feel like I came out ahead.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm legitimately shocked it took this long. The last time I went into one, years ago, the place was nearly loving devoid of both customers and inventory.

I drove by the one in Tempe a few weeks ago. Parking lot couldn't have had more than three customer cars in it.

The Fry's here in Irving, TX has been a ghost town every time I went by. I went in looking for some thermal paste months ago, maybe a year, and it was... sparse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

Hey I might have an Alienware with brown switches at my store, I forgot AMEX had a $100 rebate there. I’ll check what kind it is and if you want it I’ll send it to you. Brand new but let me check what type of switches

edit: i just went and checked it says red switches

Whatcha want for it? :glomp: Shipping would probably be to 78717.

monsterzero posted:

If you're coming from membrane switches even reds, or switches labeled 'quiet,' will still be louder than you're used to because instead of there being a rubber dome at the end of key travel it's plastic-on-plastic.

I am coming from a membrane keyboard (Logitech K120 to be exact), but it's LOUD AS HELL thanks to the keys bottoming out if you look at them funny, and also from the keys rattling while I type. Having it on a cheap plastic folding table doesn't help, but having owned several K120s, this thing is insanely loud compared to every other K120. It's louder than some mechanicals that I've owned. Even hunt and peck winds up waking up the whole house.

I'm not sure what changed over the years with these, but it's the loudest membrane keyboard I've ever used. I've been using this model exclusively for ages, they used to be nearly silent until I got my current one. You know how cars with worn bushings creak and rattle and clunk and generally complain over every tiny little imperfection in the road? That's this keyboard (... also my car).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm using a 30 year old Apple Mac keyboard on my work MacBook at home, since it was the last mechanical switch keyboard Apple made (Apple Extended II)

My home Windows PC uses a Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Whatcha want for it? :glomp: Shipping would probably be to 78717.

I am coming from a membrane keyboard (Logitech K120 to be exact), but it's LOUD AS HELL thanks to the keys bottoming out if you look at them funny, and also from the keys rattling while I type. Having it on a cheap plastic folding table doesn't help, but having owned several K120s, this thing is insanely loud compared to every other K120. It's louder than some mechanicals that I've owned. Even hunt and peck winds up waking up the whole house.

I'm not sure what changed over the years with these, but it's the loudest membrane keyboard I've ever used. I've been using this model exclusively for ages, they used to be nearly silent until I got my current one. You know how cars with worn bushings creak and rattle and clunk and generally complain over every tiny little imperfection in the road? That's this keyboard (... also my car).

I don’t want anything but maybe you’d rather have the aukey? Both are cherry switches

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm using a Ducky One 2 Skyline fullsize keyboard, with Cherry Clear switches. It's great; even if I ordered it in May of last year, and it didn't arrive until October!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Maybe the ridiculous grovertruk isn’t your cup of tea. You still owe it to yourself to see how helpful Motronic can be when trying.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3957433&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post512769682

bolind posted:

I'm looking for a thingamajig that'll let me monitor the temperature in our craptastic server room (last outfitted some time in the mid 90s, by the look of things.)

Ideal gizmo is battery powered, lasts forever, and will phone home the readings via WiFi. I need a reading every 5-10 minutes.

If that's not an option, I'll take something USB-sticky, that can sit and log for a couple of weeks and then I bring it back.

Accuracy is not terribly important, within 1C is fine.

This product must exist.

I have a friend who works at a company whose product is this, but for construction sites so more bells and whistles available and probably super expensive. I don’t know how much they cost, but they’re supposed to be really good. Here’s the website. https://pillar.tech/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

builds character posted:

Maybe the ridiculous grovertruk isn’t your cup of tea. You still owe it to yourself to see how helpful Motronic can be when trying.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3957433&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post512769682

I have a friend who works at a company whose product is this, but for construction sites so more bells and whistles available and probably super expensive. I don’t know how much they cost, but they’re supposed to be really good. Here’s the website. https://pillar.tech/

Oh poo poo that's great lol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

builds character posted:

Motronic may not be the hero HCH wants (because he's a huge rear end in a top hat) but he's the hero they need, and the hero they have.

E: I have to bite my tongue in that thread so much.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Motronic may not be the hero HCH wants (because he's a huge rear end in a top hat) but he's the hero they need, and the hero they have.

I stopped trying to egg you on after you didn’t take my very obvious bait of teaching the guy to weld.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

builds character posted:

Oh poo poo I'm pretty sure I used to work on the same floor of the same office building as your friend. They had various iterations of those green boxes scattered all over the place.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm still trying to get the dumb bastard to have safe, reliable electricity. Motronic definitely has the right idea about how to deal with someone who is as deluded as Rytheric

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Safety Dance posted:

Oh poo poo I'm pretty sure I used to work on the same floor of the same office building as your friend. They had various iterations of those green boxes scattered all over the place.

Huh, that's crazy. He's a tall dude with a short beard that likes motorcycles.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm still trying to get the dumb bastard to have safe, reliable electricity. Motronic definitely has the right idea about how to deal with someone who is as deluded as Rytheric

I wish you the best of luck because that dude seems physically incapable of changing course no matter what.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

THE loudest bubble KB is the Apple "butterfly" keyboards on the MacBook Pros for the last few years up until 2019. My god those things are loud AND they're poo poo, to boot, according to typists.

You Am I posted:

I'm using a 30 year old Apple Mac keyboard on my work MacBook at home, since it was the last mechanical switch keyboard Apple made (Apple Extended II)

How are you doing that? ADB to USB adapter?
I think I have one of those aircraft carriers kicking around still.

edit: I had to stop reading the Grover Truk thread. I can only facepalm myself so much before causing injury.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

builds character posted:

I wish you the best of luck because that dude seems physically incapable of changing course no matter what.

My stance is, chisel your heart away, it can be zen as gently caress to use only hand tools on something. Just have a more robust electric system than an inverter running off an overtaxed truck battery of unknown age

Like, he doesn't even have a jump pack in case he accidentally kills his battery by living off it, but ponders how to make electricity out of wild tubers in an emergency situation

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

builds character posted:

There's a non-zero chance I complimented his pants once. I worked for the commercial ship optimization startup, but I left that job just over a year ago.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Safety Dance posted:

There's a non-zero chance I complimented his pants once. I worked for the commercial ship optimization startup, but I left that job just over a year ago.

come ride dirt bikes, thank you in advance.

The Door Frame posted:

My stance is, chisel your heart away, it can be zen as gently caress to use only hand tools on something. Just have a more robust electric system than an inverter running off an overtaxed truck battery of unknown age

Like, he doesn't even have a jump pack in case he accidentally kills his battery by living off it, but ponders how to make electricity out of wild tubers in an emergency situation

I am really enjoying the thread but it's all fantasy. So far he's bought some balsa and some french doors he left in the rain. Based on the picture of his canoe with a sail I can't believe that he's actually capable of doing anything remotely like what he says he's going to do. Also, he doesn't need a jump pack, he will just daisy chain potatoes together until he generates enough voltage to jump the truck.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

builds character posted:

come ride dirt bikes, thank you in advance.

I am really enjoying the thread but it's all fantasy. So far he's bought some balsa and some french doors he left in the rain. Based on the picture of his canoe with a sail I can't believe that he's actually capable of doing anything remotely like what he says he's going to do. Also, he doesn't need a jump pack, he will just daisy chain potatoes together until he generates enough voltage to jump the truck.

It will go one of two ways:

1) He tries to gameplan every last detail to perfection, forever dreaming and never doing anything, or

2) He half-asses something really dumb and it all blows up.

I'm on tenterhooks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I can't really articulate the rolling sensation his pattern of behavior makes me feel in my neck, but he reminds me of the way I feel when I'm off my meds. It was funny at first, but now it's viscerally uncomfortable and I want it to stop

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Door Frame posted:

I can't really articulate the rolling sensation his pattern of behavior makes me feel in my neck, but he reminds me of the way I feel when I'm off my meds. It was funny at first, but now it's viscerally uncomfortable and I want it to stop

What kind of meds are we talking about here?

When I stop taking my antidepressants I get the absolute worst headaches possible. Honestly that's most of the reason I still take them at all honestly. Well that and if I don't take them I slip into a horrible unshakable depression lmao.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Deteriorata posted:

1) He tries to gameplan every last detail to perfection, forever dreaming and never doing anything, or

I'm on tenterhooks.

Just tag me next time, drat

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

Just tag me next time, drat

I would be much more interested in watching you try and build a timber framed house in the woods than Rytheric.

Actually I think you have a solution, tool, or skill to solve literally every single one of his problems.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

When I stop taking my antidepressants I get the absolute worst headaches possible. Honestly that's most of the reason I still take them at all honestly. Well that and if I don't take them I slip into a horrible unshakable depression lmao.

I just started on antidepressants to try and treat my headaches. On a 10mg dose of amitryptaline a day and I’ve already nailed a couple of the side effects :smith:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Antipsychotics, so "danger to myself and others" territory
The impulse spending, darting ideas, and pie in the sky poo poo are red flags for me to the point that the missus has the authority to take away my wallet, keys, phone, and knives when I start to behave in the way he's posting

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Everyone getting keyboards this years AI:SS

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Humphreys posted:

Everyone getting keyboards this years AI:SS

Everyone will have keyboard by that point but how about some lovely :nws:keycaps:nws:?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Deteriorata posted:

I'm on tenterhooks.

I know people like this. Both of these things will happen to the guy at the same time! :(

meltie fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 25, 2021

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

freelop posted:

Everyone will have keyboard by that point but how about some lovely :nws:keycaps:nws:?

Well I know who I don't want to be my santa this year

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

builds character posted:

NGL the thread was funny to start but there's a weird vibe coming off it too much like 14" for my liking and it looks like other than AI posters he's being egged on. AI posters are seeing things that are uncomfortable because we saw the trainwreck at the end of the 14" odyssey and just how horribly bad it ended, thence we're being (understandably) taking a different stance.

I hope the situation doesnt go the way I fear it will and ends badly.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

NGL the thread was funny to start but there's a weird vibe coming off it too much like 14" for my liking and it looks like other than AI posters he's being egged on. AI posters are seeing things that are uncomfortable because we saw the trainwreck at the end of the 14" odyssey and just how horribly bad it ended, thence we're being (understandably) taking a different stance.

I hope the situation doesnt go the way I fear it will and ends badly.

This is definitely the vibe I'm getting too.

Though the good news is he seems isolated enough to not be in a position to harm others

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Anyone here use a waterpik or water flosser of any sort? Would recommend? Wouldn't? Better than traditional flossing or what?

Count me interested in this too- My teeth are stupidly tight together- so much so that the dentist standing over the top of me with two hands cant get floss between my teeth, so I've been suggested i look into one of these gadgets too

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

I will leave it at: He has a wealth of knowledge and reliably will point people in the generally right direction, whether they ask for it or not. You can also always count on him to correct people, even the ones who are right.

Snark aside, the forum wouldn't be the same without him and I absolutely am one of the people he's course-corrected. He's somewhere in the vicinity of me and if he needed a hand or was a beer short I'd help the guy out.

Apropos of nothing: any homeowners in here who have not refinanced, do it now. I talked to a broker yesterday who said rates started to climb back up. I can still get 2.875% on a thirty-year and 2.625% on a twenty-year through him, and better.com has 2.25% on a fifteen-year. (All no points.) I'm torn: I would love to pay off the house. But here's the thing:

1) The monthly payment difference between the 30 and the 15 is $769.
2) If I overpay $769 on the 30, I pay it off in 15y11m, at a loss of $22k, but have the ability to back off of payments if we need money.
3) If I don't overpay at all and pay it off in 30 years, I lose $78k in accumulated interest.
4) If I invest the difference in an index fund that pays out 5% annually, which is less than the historic average of the S&P 500, in 30 years I end up with ... $640,000.
5) If I just invest for 15 years and pay off any remainder, 5% return would leave me with $204k in investment minus the $78k $193k I still owe 15 years out. (EDITED: I am an idiot and took the interest difference between the two plans, not how much would be left after fifteen years of payments.

Goddamn.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 25, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Five days ago my forums account turned eighteen.

:lol: yup. Mine does too in a few months.

I turn 38 in 10 days. Wife turned 39 in late January. We've been together over 20 years. 21-year old me would be jealous, but bored.

builds character posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3957433&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post512769682]
I just woke my wife up laughing.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 25, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ferremit posted:

Count me interested in this too- My teeth are stupidly tight together- so much so that the dentist standing over the top of me with two hands cant get floss between my teeth, so I've been suggested i look into one of these gadgets too

Yeah I bought a WaterPik on the recommendations of my Dentist and it's pretty great. I'm a terrible regular flosser (mostly just remembering to do it) but having this giant thing in front of my face reminds me to squirt the water over my gums and they've never felt cleaner. Well worth it. I even put a few drops of bleach into the water to help prevent THE GUM DISEASE GINGIVITIS

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would trust forums poster Mustache Ride with oral health advice :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean.... that's fair.

:smith: