Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finally got around to taking Security+, studied for 2 weeks and got a passing grade :toot:

I watched the Mike Meyers Security+ series on Udemy (which regularly goes on sale for $10) and took a zillion practice exams including some that I paid for on Udemy (again, for $10). Was surprised at how ill-prepared I felt for some of the questions, but I guess it worked out in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Was surprised at how ill-prepared I felt for some of the questions, but I guess it worked out in the end

I've said before in this thread but I went through A+, Net+, Sec+ and Project+ in about eight months and CompTIA has a way of making you feel like you're failing through the entire exam. Congrats either way.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got my AWS Security cert coming up in 6 weeks. Feels good to finally have it scheduled at least. Has anyone here taken it? Any advice besides just reading some of the FAQs for things like CloudTrail? Not sure what to expect going into this test as there is not a ton of info out there about it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is this new? Seems cheap compared to most SANS.

https://twitter.com/SANSOffensive/status/1364351849835487233

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone have experience with the MS-700, MS-100, and/or MS-101?

Planning to take the MS-700 this week, nervous as I haven't done much work in the phone aspects. I've watched basically everything on the Teams Academy YouTube list, which does cover a lot of those areas. And I've signed up for an E5 Dev tenant, but that does not include the voice licenses (or Windows, so doing autopilot and intune stuff maybe difficult).

MS-100/101 are being updated today and those maybe a few weeks away as I'll want to go through study materials on those. I've worked with SharePoint Online since O365 was released (at Microsoft) and other areas while at a lovely MSP that mostly used it for email and office installs. So there are certainly areas I'm pretty familiar with and others that I've never really touched.

I passed the MS-900 last week using my past experience and the Microsoft Learning Path site. Was not to difficult beyond needing to carefully read exactly what they are asking. That one had no labs unlike the SharePoint cert that I did years ago.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've got my AWS Security cert coming up in 6 weeks. Feels good to finally have it scheduled at least. Has anyone here taken it? Any advice besides just reading some of the FAQs for things like CloudTrail? Not sure what to expect going into this test as there is not a ton of info out there about it.

Haven't taken it or looked into it, what are you using to study for it?

For other AWS exams I did manage to get a few extra points due to reading the suggested whitepapers so that's the only advice I'm able to give you on this.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

Haven't taken it or looked into it, what are you using to study for it?

For other AWS exams I did manage to get a few extra points due to reading the suggested whitepapers so that's the only advice I'm able to give you on this.

Im using the ACloudGuru course and like you mentioned reading whitepapers, FAQs, etc for various servers. Seems to be a fairly new cert so theres not a ton online for it. Really from what I see so far if you know CloudTrail inside and out you're half way there already.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Any good video based learning for SCCM? MS Learn doesn’t have a whole lot. I wasn’t sure how good the Udemy course is.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Did my first online exam and nearly fell asleep sitting in queue for over 30 minutes for a proctor to be assigned. Is it always that bad?

Irritated Goat posted:

Any good video based learning for SCCM? MS Learn doesn’t have a whole lot. I wasn’t sure how good the Udemy course is.
I did the Paul and Robert Hill video. The content was fine, but the older dude is incredibly dull.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

LiquidFriend posted:

Did my first online exam and nearly fell asleep sitting in queue for over 30 minutes for a proctor to be assigned. Is it always that bad?

I haven't had to wait more than 10m for a proctor from PearsonVUE or PeopleCert, usually just 1-2 minutes. Through Examity for WGU, the only time I've had to wait longer was last year when every other school was quickly transitioning to remote learning so the proctors were overloaded.

What time did you take the exam, and through which company?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Actuarial Fables posted:

I haven't had to wait more than 10m for a proctor from PearsonVUE or PeopleCert, usually just 1-2 minutes. Through Examity for WGU, the only time I've had to wait longer was last year when every other school was quickly transitioning to remote learning so the proctors were overloaded.

What time did you take the exam, and through which company?
PearsonVUE and 11 pm last night. Was nearly 150 people in the queue when I got in.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MS Ignite is doing their challenge stuff again for a free certification voucher

https://csc.docs.microsoft.com/ignite/registration/March2021

You can just click through it all and be done in about a hour if you wanted but the material is always good. Looks like the best exam voucher though is AZ-104.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

You can just click through it all and be done in about a hour if you wanted but the material is always good. Looks like the best exam voucher though is AZ-104.

Awesome, thanks for this. I got a free AZ-900 cert last year so going for the AZ-104 is a natural progression.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cool, that means I can take AZ-900 for free now. Thanks for sharing!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Going through these...this is such a nice improvement over free Amazon training that I've seen. Is there anything similar for AWS? This just seems more structured and clear.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for this, already had a bunch of the Teams Admin modules done and completed that challenge. I will likely use it for my MS-100.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Put off taking the MS-700 to get more confident in passing and it paid off.

I'd gone through basically everything in the Admin training resources page and this Youtube playlist along with the various Teams focused items in the MS Learning Path site. And also used the Developer Program for an E5 setup (minus the phone stuff) that was pretty helpful in just going through various menus.

Also am starting an O365/SharePoint admin position on Monday, which is with a great company and pays for training, so I may look at the Udemy or Pluralsight resources in the future for the MS-100 and MS-101 exams.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

OSCP prep now has an option for a full year of lab access.

https://twitter.com/offsectraining/status/1374711349775896578

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have a bunch of cisco routers and switches for a ccnp lab. The problem is the only place I can keep them is in a room with no network connectivity. So I basically have 2 questions:

1: is there any kind of wireless or bluetooth console adaptor?

2: is there any kind of wireless bridge I can use for ethernet connectivity to the devices?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Charliegrs posted:

I have a bunch of cisco routers and switches for a ccnp lab. The problem is the only place I can keep them is in a room with no network connectivity. So I basically have 2 questions:

2: is there any kind of wireless bridge I can use for ethernet connectivity to the devices?

I use either a laptop or SFF PC, connect it to WiFi and the usb/serial adapter to the switch, and then just remote into that computer from my desk

Most server rooms are loud and it’s annoying to be on the phone with a tech while they remote in. It’s quiet at my desk.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You could probably use an inline power adapter for like $40 and you can keep it as a separate network. Otherwise you could do a mesh setup with an access point that has a RJ45 port and connect it to your WiFi.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Charliegrs posted:

I don't have one but I've heard good things about the AirConsole.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So I was a sysadmin in the Navy like 8 years ago. Have since gone to college to get a degree in geology, currently doing that, want to return to the world of IT.

Back in the day I had A+, Network+, and some entry level MS and VMware certs. In terms of busting back into the field, what should my go-to certs be? I was a windows guy for sure, but I have relative comfort in *nix based environments as well

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

App13 posted:

So I was a sysadmin in the Navy like 8 years ago. Have since gone to college to get a degree in geology, currently doing that, want to return to the world of IT.

Back in the day I had A+, Network+, and some entry level MS and VMware certs. In terms of busting back into the field, what should my go-to certs be? I was a windows guy for sure, but I have relative comfort in *nix based environments as well

Do some security-related ones. 8 years of military experience you will have recruiters crawling all over your LinkedIn profile.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bob Morales posted:

Do some security-related ones. 8 years of military experience you will have recruiters crawling all over your LinkedIn profile.

Either that or cloud.

Pick what you would enjoy doing on a day to day basis.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Is there a way to get a VPC certification without it costing $3000?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

DropsySufferer posted:

Is there a way to get a VPC certification without it costing $3000?

Do you mean VCP (vmware)? Yes. CCNA or above can get VCP-NV without the class and afterwards you can get VCP-DCV. There's also classes you can take at community colleges that supposedly account for the class requirement that is way cheaper but I haven't looked too much into it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My local community college has a VMware training course. You can take the ICM course as a continuing education student. I took the 5.1 course waaaaay back in the day, it set me back like 200 bucks. Stanly community college offers an online course as well. There are ways to avoid the 3000 dollar class if work isn't paying for it.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Thanks for the information I'll see about the Stanley community College course.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Got through chapter 3 of my RHCSA book. How hard is this cert for someone with limited linux exp?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sacrist65 posted:

Got through chapter 3 of my RHCSA book. How hard is this cert for someone with limited linux exp?

Experience helps but it's completely doable. This is the entry level cert so don't worry if things seem hard now. Since it's hands on, it's all about making sure you can apply it so set up some VirtualBox VM's and start labbing.

When you can do 80-90% of the labs in a reasonable time without looking up too many things you're good to go. Pro tip, you MUST know how to reset the root password by interrupting the boot sequence by heart. If you don't know it you can never pass the exam.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Sacrist65 posted:

If you set up your practice machines according to Sander van Vugt's instructions, you will have a pretty good study environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MX307ZD5E

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
This has helped me study for the RHCSA, it sets up a lab environment for you: https://github.com/rdbreak/rhcsa8env

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LochNessMonster posted:

When you can do 80-90% of the labs in a reasonable time without looking up too many things you're good to go. Pro tip, you MUST know how to reset the root password by interrupting the boot sequence by heart

Yes, this is a serious statement. Learn how to do it on RHEL7, not RHEL6 since it changed. Maybe you get a hold of an old lab and study the wrong way, I just wanted to point that out.

I've passed the RHCSA a few times now (its a requirement for me to keep it for my job). It's easily my favorite cert test because it's all hands on.

You get a RHEL7/8 VM and a list of things to do on it. It's really easy if you have a few years of linux experience and are comfortable with systemd and bash. There's a few selinux things that are tricky, but otherwise it's a really solid exam.

I used linux academy for it last time:

https://linuxacademy.com/cp/modules/view/id/785

We get it through work. I don't know what the cost is if you are coming in fresh.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

skipdogg posted:

My local community college has a VMware training course. You can take the ICM course as a continuing education student. I took the 5.1 course waaaaay back in the day, it set me back like 200 bucks. Stanly community college offers an online course as well. There are ways to avoid the 3000 dollar class if work isn't paying for it.

I took the Stanly CC VCP course back around 2015 I believe, but unfortunately never got around to actually scheduling my exam. I'm not sure how the content has evolved over the last few years but I highly recommend it as well.

On AWS certs: Going to try to knock out Cloud Practitioner tonight and then set my sights on Solution Architect. Is that generally doable within the AWS free tier?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cenodoxus posted:

I took the Stanly CC VCP course back around 2015 I believe, but unfortunately never got around to actually scheduling my exam. I'm not sure how the content has evolved over the last few years but I highly recommend it as well.

On AWS certs: Going to try to knock out Cloud Practitioner tonight and then set my sights on Solution Architect. Is that generally doable within the AWS free tier?

You can easily do that within free tier.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

calusari posted:

This has helped me study for the RHCSA, it sets up a lab environment for you: https://github.com/rdbreak/rhcsa8env

This is awesome, thank you.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
To help carry a previous convo, if you exhibit some strive to learn during interviews and can show SOME experience, if not job related then project related, it can help in a super large range.

I got my first helpdesk job after doing a year of PC repair and some small bash script project

Job hopped diff places (all MSP's doing diff poo poo but ultimately as 'help desk') with an A+ and a SEC+ no degree.

I'm now a system engineer in a Fortune top 100 companies to work for corporation. I've been in IT for about 5 years. I would beg to get on any project I could and picked up on stuff other people didn't wanna manage (Meraki MDM, Sharepoint, etc)

I'm going to WGU now for my BA in IT Info Systems but its just so I can work abroad if I aim to do so, I don't need it for my career here it seems.

I live in a high COL area on the east coast making 85k

It also helps to not to be a goon personality wise, actually its a big leg up, I'm pretty friendly irl which helped.

Though most of the beginning jobs I had were COMPLETE rear end, last job wasn't horrible and this one is a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure how many people here have or are pursuing AWS certs but I just pass the SysOps Admin Associate and that test is not a joke. Failed my first attempt and passed my second about an hour ago.

Admittedly I came at it from almost zero, having only done the entry level CCP cert and with no professional AWS experience but it's an exam that you can't really fake via brain dumps and such. You either understand the main services and how they all interact or you don't.

Taking a week off now but that leaves me with just the CCNA left for certs at WGU and per this thread and other places I think I'll be working through Lammle's books for it.