Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Uncharted 1 is better than TLOU. Which means every other Uncharted is better, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All these searing hot takes that I wish I could comment on normally but I still don't own a PS5 so I feel like a trespasser here every time

The world is a vampire

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

caldrax posted:

That's not really my point, he was a prolific writer who wrote things that were intentionally complex, multi-layered, and not generally "brief." It's one in a long line of examples where people think that because the character said a thing, that's what the author *believes* - which is not necessarily the case. It's like how people think Tyler Durden is the good guy in Fight Club. People notoriously can't separate fiction from the author.

This is a place where we talk about the Playstation 5.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
If you don't sleep for a while you can get one, I got one for myself, two random local goons and my sister at cost. I had a 5th one ready to pickup at the local Target but no local goon seemed to want it at that point.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
TLOU is a high quality game but it's not fun at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The end song in 15 with the complete logo reveal was a top gaming moment of the year for me.

Yeah, I could talk poo poo about various things in FF15, but that part really hit home, just really beautiful :cry::3:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

current sekiro status: !!! :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
FF15 is the most emotional experience I've had in my life.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have FFXV and never finished it although I did for some reason buy the season pass.

Now that it’s in the plus collection I might make it my next game once I get through P5S.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-xbox-series-x-component-shortage-to-be-investigated-president-biden-says/1100-6488026

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I wonder what that will turn up, 'freaking China stealing our semi-conductors' or nothing at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have no stomach for video games that think they're prestige tv dramas. I also have no stomach for prestige tv dramas on tv. You're a loving tv show you aren't a movie and you never will be.

There were a lot of bad takes posted while I was asleep but I had to single out this one because what the actual gently caress lmao

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So much for sending out those $2000 $1400 checks

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Healbot posted:

I wonder what that will turn up, 'freaking China stealing our semi-conductors' or nothing at all.

I can virtually guarantee you that this is about cryptocurrency mining farms.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bowmore posted:

So much for sending out those $2000 $1400 checks

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Roth posted:

If only Sony could go back in time and not use the Cell Processor on the PS3

this is a totally reasonable thing to dream about, but also on the flip side the severe bottlenecks and complicated development pipelines of the PS3 scene caused numerous devs to up their skills to an insane degree that established many notable contemporary technological trends and standards for single player games, and Sony's first/second party studios/games are much better now for having gone through that trial by fire. Naughty Dog made a household name of themselves by playing to the system's strengths and sharing resources with other first party operations to 'lift all boats' under the sony brand.

the PS3 was a necessary hurdle and good for the long-term, even if it was the worst console gen

fridge corn posted:

The ps3 was bad and I'm glad it had a stupid hard to programme for processor so sony could get that dumb poo poo out of the way and realise what they needed to do to make the ps4 good. Games during the ps3 era were bad anyway for the most part so it was fine when developers finally figured out what they were doing it all came together to bring us the greatest gaming generation of all time.

The only games I remember playing during ps3 era were assassin's creed games, skyrim, and shed loads of fifa

Development breakthroughs, miraculous memory workarounds, and asset streaming techniques on PS3 titles like the Uncharted series and TLOU are responsible in numerous cases, directly and indirectly, for the brilliant performance of PS4 games. UC4, 2LOU, GoW, GoT, etc, aren't just technically amazing because the PS4 has a shorter time-to-triangle (hell, the PS4 was running off the shelf parts in many instances) but because they leveraged the extra knowledge gleaned by developers during the PS3 gen after untold amounts of toil with that black box.

univbee posted:

They were. Spirits Within is actually what sunk them.

Spirits Within was so costly that Sony made a huge investment in shares of Square and secured basically a decade's worth of exclusivity on the spot.

JBP posted:

The last of us 2 is very good and much better than the original games :angel:

this is true. but also not because it currently does not contain factions so it is garbage actually

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Last of us 2 improved on every aspect of the original apart from the multiplayer but for Beanpoles sake I hope we hear about it soon

:smithicide:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate the PS5

Its existence only causes me misery

I feel for you dude, I'm rooting for you.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I tested out a Pulse 3D headset I'd picked up for a buddy last night, and while they still gave me a headache in basically any place they weren't falling off the sound is pretty darned good if I may say so. I really like the Playstation specific controls being right on the ear; I had their placement and usage figured out by the second or third time I needed them.

My 'hey should I keep these' moment was firing a hand cannon in a cave level in Nioh 2.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut posted:

I had to mess around with the Pro for an hour because of a PS5 boost mode problem with Kiwami 2 and it took like 3 minutes to load the game when it takes 6 seconds on the 5.

i booted my n64 up and it loads faster than the ps5, nintendo still ahead of its time :smuggo:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

drat what movie is this

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Sometimes devs forget that, at their core, games are games. It's great if you want to build a diegetic narrative structure that mirrors the protagonist's slow transition from involved member of the community to self-isolated revenge machine, but at the end of the day, the game still needs to be fun and engaging.

TLOU2 failed that for me. The story was great, the technology was great, the structure was great, but I wound up putting the combat onto the easiest setting, because I hated that part of the design, and I just wanted to get through the story. It was a fantastic experience, but it wasn't an enjoyable game.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I stopped trying to find a PS5 and figured I'd wait til summer or whenever, and then within 2 weeks a coworker messages me out of the blue that she has an extra if I wanted it. So I'm getting one this weekend, super stoked. Just need to decide if I'm gonna play Demon's Souls or Miles Morales first. actually gonna play Astro's Playroom first

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I stopped trying to find a PS5 and figured I'd wait til summer or whenever, and then within 2 weeks a coworker messages me out of the blue that she has an extra if I wanted it. So I'm getting one this weekend, super stoked. Just need to decide if I'm gonna play Demon's Souls or Miles Morales first. actually gonna play Astro's Playroom first

That rules. That's basically how I got mine. A friend managed to get an extra one and sold it to me. Pure luck and happenstance. I hope you enjoy it! (You will.)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

TLOU2 failed that for me. The story was great, the technology was great, the structure was great, but I wound up putting the combat onto the easiest setting, because I hated that part of the design, and I just wanted to get through the story. It was a fantastic experience, but it wasn't an enjoyable game.

Its fair that you don't like it, but the combat is actually excellent and some of the coolest and most visceral stealth action combat around. I don't think there are any games that have handguns that feel as good and lethal.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

JBP posted:

FF15 is the most emotional experience I've had in my life.

In your entire life? Eek, that's a yikes!

Game is incredibly emotionally effective, though, from "Stand By Me" to the relationship of the four main protagonists and them to the supporting cast. There's so, so much about the game that is merely just fine but the story and how the characters move through it is exceptional.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

cvnvcnv posted:

In your entire life? Eek, that's a yikes!

Game is incredibly emotionally effective, though, from "Stand By Me" to the relationship of the four main protagonists and them to the supporting cast. There's so, so much about the game that is merely just fine but the story and how the characters move through it is exceptional.

I was surprised and kinda sad when Ignis becomes blind and went through the first dungeon where he stumbles around the whole time going slow because I didn't realize he'd automatically keep up with me.

That Florence + The Machine cover of Stand By Me does rule. The opening where you have to push the car is still a really great introduction to that world and characters. As monotonous as the combat is, and how weirdly broken the story was, I still have positive memories of it. I would happily play another game that's structured around a road trip with friends.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I still have absolutely zero desire to play TLOU2. I wonder if that will ever change

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Listen Jack, the American people need their Nintendos

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fridge corn posted:

I still have absolutely zero desire to play TLOU2. I wonder if that will ever change

It doesn’t even have multiplayer. It’s a safe skip.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

nnnnnnope

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Despite some issues with the narrative it was good imo.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

if I want a game where humans are the real monsters ill go to work

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

just think of the plaguelands as a real-time commentary on the fragility of governmental oversight and a tech test for how to build a functioning society

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

lets see if we cant get out of alpha yall

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait to play the Outriders demo!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Despite some issues with the narrative it was good imo.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad game or anything but the first one did nothing for me so the idea of spending another 25-30 hours in that world with these characters just seems like a chore

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

I'm not trying to say it's a bad game or anything but the first one did nothing for me so the idea of spending another 25-30 hours in that world with these characters just seems like a chore

That's totally fair.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well that's the 2nd time my PS5 has hard crashed while it was in rest mode and had to repair the database when I turned it back on. The last time it wouldn't even boot up until I disconnected and reconnected the power cord.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Franchescanado posted:

I was surprised and kinda sad when Ignis becomes blind and went through the first dungeon where he stumbles around the whole time going slow because I didn't realize he'd automatically keep up with me.

That Florence + The Machine cover of Stand By Me does rule. The opening where you have to push the car is still a really great introduction to that world and characters. As monotonous as the combat is, and how weirdly broken the story was, I still have positive memories of it. I would happily play another game that's structured around a road trip with friends.

They may have fixed it post launch but man, when I played it at launch, FFXV was half of a good game. All the boy band road trip stuff was great and they really did nail the comradery in the first half of the game, but you can tell pretty much exactly where Square said "Pack this poo poo up, we gotta ship it". Pretty much everything after you get on the boat is a miserable slog and the last three chapters where they take your weapons and give you the Death Ring is probably the worst single experience with gaming that I've not actually just stopped playing in disgust. You can tell they planned originally for the back half to continue on the boy band road trip through the empire, but they just didn't have enough time to finish it so instead you got railroaded (literally) into the ending.

I was so incredibly put off by it when I finally did get to the end that I made it to the Future where you literally just walked to the final boss and I couldn't even be bothered and I uninstalled the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FFXV has some issues but overall I enjoyed it and I'm glad I played it because it does have a really emotionally impactful ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Launch FF15 was a fun experience where the game runs out of poo poo and literally puts you on rails towards the ending. As in you actually get on a train and from there it’s a linear path to the end. And that last dungeon where you only have that ring as a weapon was a loving slog.

My understanding is that they re-tooled this ending section and the character DLC flesh out various aspects of the game so it’s now a more “complete” game start to finish. I should replay it someday to see all the stuff they ended adding.