Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Alex is meant to be like 15 years old or something, the Australian lady is in her 20s (at least), they’re not going to have them get in a relationship you weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I don't know how anyone can think the Aussie woman has eyes for anyone but the Aussie guy. That was made extremely clear.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think I got Wilford's plan.

The Breachmen are widely known to be Wilford supporters. The blame will automatically be placed on Layton. Wilford will next cause a disaster uptrain which requires the Brechmen and will signal to the train that Layton is not qualified to rule because he had them murdered based on political beliefs. This will turn the second and third class passengers against Layton.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Alex is meant to be like 15 years old or something, the Australian lady is in her 20s (at least), they’re not going to have them get in a relationship you weirdos.
The character is 17, the actress is 20, she's Big Alice's main engineer and the only person who has the guts to talk back to Wilford, albeit sparingly. I don't think it's weird to speculate a relationship exists when the show has made it clear she is jealous towards Emilia's new friendship, especially after she pulled Wilford's ear to get her over to Snowpiercer for a night out.

Does it mean they are definitely going that route? Of course not. They could easily just be friends. That doesn't mean it can't be something more, though. Whatever the state of their friendship is, it's going to be a plot point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

The character is 17, the actress is 20, she's Big Alice's main engineer and the only person who has the guts to talk back to Wilford, albeit sparingly. I don't think it's weird to speculate a relationship exists when the show has made it clear she is jealous towards Emilia's new friendship, especially after she pulled Wilford's ear to get her over to Snowpiercer for a night out.

Does it mean they are definitely going that route? Of course not. They could easily just be friends. That doesn't mean it can't be something more, though. Whatever the state of their friendship is, it's going to be a plot point.

I think you can also read Alex as queer and the Last (Western) Australian as not (currently?) interested.

The scene between Alex and LJ definitely reads as queer -- "Let's not be friends"?

Edit: And the show's nodded towards the train encouraging situational sexuality. Doesn't Zara have, like, a wife and a husband that got forgotten about?

xerxus posted:

The Breachmen are widely known to be Wilford supporters. The blame will automatically be placed on Layton. Wilford will next cause a disaster uptrain which requires the Brechmen and will signal to the train that Layton is not qualified to rule because he had them murdered based on political beliefs. This will turn the second and third class passengers against Layton.

Oh, this is definitely happening.

I imagine Big Alice is smuggling messages through the drugs pipeline, probably in the same shipments that Josie is using to send messages.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 25, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Only problem I have with the entire show is when they do scenes in the cockpit of big alice and snowpiercer, the background is moving forwards.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hizawk posted:

Only problem I have with the entire show is when they do scenes in the cockpit of big alice and snowpiercer, the background is moving forwards.

Wilford's quarters have windows that look out both up and down train. The main controls for the train are under the window looking up train, so from that end the countryside would appear to be approaching.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
You know that's how young women tend to talk to each other nowadays, right? It struck me as banter more than anything.

Aside from black market trades of goods, how do people pay for things in the market and night car? I'm guessing bed and board is the main payment for doing work, so how does the legitimate economy work? They haven't shown people spending Wilford bucks or anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was worried they were gonna kill off Steven Ogg since he's a very kill-offable guy but turning him into Train Agent 47 was much better than anything I could've hoped for.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wilford's quarters have windows that look out both up and down train. The main controls for the train are under the window looking up train, so from that end the countryside would appear to be approaching.

Yeah the Alice engine is taller than the other train cars with the control room being above the normal roofline.

Which makes sense given her designed job. She's designed for both pushing and pulling train cars.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the Alice engine is taller than the other train cars with the control room being above the normal roofline.

Which makes sense given her designed job. She's designed for both pushing and pulling train cars.

But if you look outside the forward direction window in Alice, wouldn't you see the whole train stretching out before you? (Which you don't imho.)

This also reminds me of the Westworld train discussions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You actually do in a lot of shots.

The train cars of Big Alice are snow covered and not as lit up at night as Snowpiercer's though (probably to save cg costs for the interior shots.)

Edit: like here

The train is on flatter terrain but that's the top of the next car just in view. The last couple episodes with the hill climb make it more obvious. The snow makes it look like the tracks ahead but the height difference can be seen.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 25, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And now he's fully morphed into Trevor but more depressed - when I saw his train track neck tattoo I was like oh poo poo.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

The train is on flatter terrain but that's the top of the next car just in view. The last couple episodes with the hill climb make it more obvious. The snow makes it look like the tracks ahead but the height difference can be seen.

Oh now I see it! Well thanks, my eyesight is getting really bad though lately and I need new glasses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think I figured it out until last episode (the Melanie departure) myself.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

So what we thinking, has Audrey defected, or gone undercover? I think it could go either way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think she's undercover because she failed to set up the radio.

It may not stay that way though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I think she's undercover because she failed to set up the radio.

It may not stay that way though.

I really like that I feel like I can't predict where this show will go. Its always refreshing when that happens.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

xerxus posted:

Oh this is good, so very good. That's probably it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I like the theory. And Icy Bob will save the day thanks to Josie.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

OldMemes posted:

You know that's how young women tend to talk to each other nowadays, right?
As an adult male in his mid-thirties I think I can confidently state I am not an expert on how teenage women talk to each other and will never claim to be. I'm simply refusing to disavow a possible relationship directly after an episode where Alex made it apparently she is jealous of Emilia gaining a new friend. My understanding of humans on television is that when your friend gets a new friend, you don't get jealous... but if you get jealous when your friend gets a new person to flirt with, that means you, as a human on television, had feelings for the friend.

OldMemes posted:

I really like that I feel like I can't predict where this show will go. Its always refreshing when that happens.
It's one of the biggest positives of credit I keep giving the show when describing it to my friends who are still refusing to start watching it. "You basically never guess what's going to happen next." I've been so sick of media that's obvious, this show's a godsend for me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I like the theory. And Icy Bob will save the day thanks to Josie.

The Icy Bob is tamed by Josie with a shared love of Prozac.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I'm just posting to honor the excellent choice of music in the last epsiode. I think it's the first time i heard Radiohead's Street Spirit used anywhere and the tone fitted right in. House of the Rising Sun wasn't bad either.

Also, is this Till's Ex-Girlfriend murdering that Breachman?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the actress left the show completely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bou posted:

Also, is this Till's Ex-Girlfriend murdering that Breachman?

That's a stuntperson.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not much of a fan of Layton in this season besides him trying to invade Big Alice in ep 1. All he does is react to things, wallow in his depression or order someone to do something lovely while treating them like poo poo.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I view Laytons situation to be one where it's easier be to a revolution leader compared to being the actually leader of everyone. That's much more daunting and includes so much more that it can be overwhelming. Heavy is the brow that wears the crown and all that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Layton's weakness is to a lot of other character's strength. This is feeling more like an ensemble show now, especially with Mel gone and Layton just sitting pretty on a tightrope. But yeah if it wasn't obvious enough, Layton's supposed to be weak right now so that the viewing audience has a real sense of "he's going to lose all his support."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't buy what they're doing with him this season, even if the narrative has gone out of its way to justify it. He was a leader for years - he's lead at least two uprisings and was in stable command of the Tail for at least five years. I don't buy that he'd immediately fall into something as stupid or obvious as installing himself in the best cabin on the train, or letting First Class maintain their conspicuous wealth.

If they'd at least shown him trying to push through some changes, I'd buy it, but instead we have him suggesting his kid should be be named Trotsky, which, lol.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

As much as I'd agree with you, the series so far has tried to softly push the idea that nobody is 100% good or evil/right or wrong on the train. Plus, being an accidental parent will make you do crazy things which, combined with having to invoke martial law so Snowpiercer doesn't get invaded by an enemy, can easily lead to loving up.

I'm not the kind to forgive bad writing on a show but this seems pretty "realistic" to me. At least it's not as bad as a simple "absolute power corrupts absolutely" explanation.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That was a good loving episode. And an even better holy gently caress cliffhanger. The train looks like it's in some poo poo so I expect next week we'll see Wilfords big move.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I ... haven't felt the need to see the next episode of a weekly show this strongly in a very long time. I honestly can't even remember. I'm going to feel loving lost until the next episode hits.

That episode was fantastic. Can't knock a single thing about it. I especially loved when Mel went for the high five and hit nothing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's really interesting how the show presents the ethics of the act of people sneaking onto the tail. In most post-apocalyptic fiction, where there's an "ark" that can shelter some of humanity and ensure the survival of the species, the people who try and force their way in are uniformly presented as the bad guys - the selfish faceless crowd who either don't have the right to be there, or refuse to face their fates with dignity - if these people get in, no-one will be saved. It's a crab bucket thing - "if I can't survive this, no-one will". Greenland did it, for example.

In Snowpiercer, its reversed and the lines are blurred. It seems that governments had failed to offer a safe place for at least a selection of their citizens, so its left to unregulated private industry to fill in the gaps - not a good idea at the best of times, even worse when its someone as unstable as Wilford in charge. Obviously every human life is worth preserving, but the thousands who showed up to storm Snowpiercer would have known that not only would they have not gotten in, but that they could end up destroying humanity's last refuge. However, the show does the opposite to what the genre normally does, and shows that at least some - i.e. mainly Layton - were RIGHT to storm the train. Without him, humanity's fate on the train would be far darker than if he hadn't.

I can't remember if they explained how people ended up in third class in the film, if they were assigned the train, or if they snuck on.

I just thought it was interesting how the show flips a common trope in this kind of fiction on its head and gives it far more depth than other stories have. Seconding that this week's episode was amazing, and that cliffhanger. :stare:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Spiteski posted:

That was a good loving episode. And an even better holy gently caress cliffhanger. The train looks like it's in some poo poo so I expect next week we'll see Wilfords big move.

Yeah the flickering lights at the end look like real bad news.

Also she didn't seem that far from the train when the front went by, but then alex goes by just after. How fast is snowpiercer going?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
She outright says they need to slow down. I'm guessing Wilford's plan is happening that exact moment in an attempt to sabotage picking up Melanie

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Also she didn't seem that far from the train when the front went by, but then alex goes by just after. How fast is snowpiercer going?[/spoiler]

I was thinking about that in the shower and just sorta shrugged it off as "there's a cut in time because watching Mel trudge through snow towards the train for 5 minutes straight would've been boring."
It's just one of those things the show does a lot, unfortunately; the actual length of the train changes to suit the visual and timing needs. They showed that footage of the balloon in space a second time and a second time you kinda have to laugh at the idea that from that high up, that much of the train is visible.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The train is officially ten miles long, unofficially as large as the plot needs it to be.

.....onboard Snowpiercer, 1001 cars long.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
That episode is exactly what I wanted, and done so well. I wanted it but wasn't sure it would be interesting, and it definitely exceeded my expectations.

I totally thought the ice man was going to be used to go after Melanie, I now think I'm wrong

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah this lends some credence to the idea that they're gonna have Icy Bob crawl along the top of the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DaveKap posted:

Yeah this lends some credence to the idea that they're gonna have Icy Bob crawl along the top of the train.

This is exactly what I think. He killed off the breachmen for a reason.