Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah that's what I'm worried about... Maybe I'll just leave it as my personal shame reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The correct thing to do is to sell it as a speaker treatment to dipshit audiophiles.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I mean adding a small amount of weight would for sure affect the response of a tweeter but I'm sure to a tiny, non-noticeable without measuring equipment amount. ...which means you could definitely sell it to audiophiles as a tweak.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah the answer here is definitely try to swindle an audiophile by selling it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Have the LS50 Meta set up in a nearfield configuration which isn''t really what it's meant for. Just from a subjective perspective it sounds more accurate than the Q350 but I'm not sure that's an entirely positive thing. It almost sounds like I magically installed anechoic egg crate foam in my room, but while some of that extraneous sound and reflections of the Q350 may have detracted from the Q350's accuracy, it added to it's impact/presence. It's not quite the same visceral impact for the LS50 Meta. It's also takes more power to drive the LS50 Meta vis a vis the Q350. If you care about surround sound for movies/video or gaming, I think I wouldn't spring for the LS50 and just save money with the Q350. If you care about music, then maybe the LS50 Meta makes sense. The LS50 also seems more sensitive to seating position in this configuration than the Q350. I'm going to keep listening to the LS50 before deciding on any kind of subjective verdict.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d think for near field Q150s would be fine but I have a small desk.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have a really big desk and the LS50s are smaller than the Q350s. The footprint is about the same but they're shorter.

EDIT: After taking a listening break for a while and playing with positioning and a bit less toe in, I can say I'm much happier with the LS50. They sound great and are definitely a nice step up in audio quality.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 16, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

NNNEEERRRRDDDDD

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't know if this belongs here or not but KEF has a new tiny subwoofer that uses a push-pull by nesting the two motors inside each other. Almost as interesting is it has both line and speaker level inputs with crossover. Sadly it is too expensive and the drivers are 6.5" :smith:

It's so kawaii! Too bad it's the same price as a Rythmix FV15 [$1500] which has ~3 times the driver surface area and is the size of a toddler coffin

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

qirex posted:

... toddler coffin

The plain kind or the kind with a cartoon character on it? This is important.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

They're claiming -3db at 11 Hz. That seems very optimistic.

If it can hit even 25 Hz without too much distortion and goes on sale as often as other KEF products do, I can see people using them in a small listening room with LS50s.

I have my doubts, though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

With a 6.5" driver, that's outside of "optimistic" and into "new physics discovery."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wonder if they are doing something tricky.

I like my little Energy M6 and it goes low loud enough to rattle the glasses, not not enough to really "feel" it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheMadMilkman posted:

My 12" subs start noticably dropping off around 30-35Hz, though of course those are just basic sealed subs without DSP or any other trickery.

Usable output at 11Hz requires much bigger drivers, larger cabinets and significant power. That KEF has neither of those.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

2x 6.5” drivers is almost equivalent to a single 10 for surface area so this can probably do some actual bass but 11hz is a joke.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Getting 11hz out of a tiny driver like that at reference volume is possible but it would need a cabinet the size of a wardrobe. :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is it better to go with the biggest front L/R you can or match them as best as possible to your center channel?

For example: take the JBL Stage series. There’s a center channel with two 5.25” drivers, and there are matching bookshelf/floorstanders with single 5.25” drivers (bookshelf), twin 5.25”, twin 6.5”, and twin 8” drivers respectively.

Is it best to go with the smaller speakers in that case to better match, or are the big 8” woofers and their better bass extension and music performance worth the differences?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My 50KG KRK 12sHO only goes down to 29Hz and I can't fit it into boot of my car so I'd be very loving impressed by such a small sub depending on how they are fudging their numbers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is it better to go with the biggest front L/R you can or match them as best as possible to your center channel?

For example: take the JBL Stage series. There’s a center channel with two 5.25” drivers, and there are matching bookshelf/floorstanders with single 5.25” drivers (bookshelf), twin 5.25”, twin 6.5”, and twin 8” drivers respectively.

Is it best to go with the smaller speakers in that case to better match, or are the big 8” woofers and their better bass extension and music performance worth the differences?

Do you have a subwoofer? If not consider the bigger ones, if so it will handle the bass for both movies and music and almost all the audio will be coming through the center when it's in use so the big woofers in your L/R won't do much.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

napilopez on ASR posted:

I asked KEF for a more specific metric, the maximum anechoic SPL achievable at 20Hz, and they said 80dB. In-room that'll be a lot louder. I still think it's impressive, but much more believable for 2x 6.5-inch woofers. Besides, it all depends on what the bass limiting curves look like. Maybe it can get to 100dB at 30Hz, for example. We'll have to get measurements to see

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I mean, these are clearly meant as a match for the LS50s, which do have very anemic bass response. And they are attractive. So I won’t fault anyone who chooses to use their disposable income on them. Even a real-world response down to 30 Hz would be a huge benefit for the LS50s.

But that marketing copy is pure BS, and those specs are laughable. And you can absolutely do better for way less money.

But they do look good.

Also, LS50s with stands and two subs puts you at about $5k. There are a lot of REALLY good systems for that amount of money.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 22, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

People spending more for looks and a name will always be a thing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Getting 11hz out of a tiny driver like that at reference volume is possible but it would need a cabinet the size of a wardrobe. :v:

But it's a unique design! Nobody has been able to do it before because we're pioneers!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've lost respect for KEF with this marketing nonsense because quoting 11Hz when it can't go over 80dB at 20Hz is a straight lie by industry terminology because I'm sure I can quote my phone as going to 11Hz if I don't include how many dB down

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

But it's a unique design! Nobody has been able to do it before because we're pioneers!

If I had a dollar for every time I'd heard/read that in the AV industry about speakers when they've just copied an old design with a few new bits of amplifier tech in it I'd be rich.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

I've lost respect for KEF with this marketing nonsense because quoting 11Hz when it can't go over 80dB at 20Hz is a straight lie by industry terminology because I'm sure I can quote my phone as going to 11Hz if I don't include how many dB down

Even including the “dB down” figure can easily be misleading. Stick a low pass on your sub at 60Hz and hey, suddenly the -3dB point is a whole octave lower!

No graph, no trust.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a SVS PB3000 just so I could throw 20hz around:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

redeyes posted:

I got a SVS PB3000 just so I could throw 20hz around:

Was having trouble viewing your image, apparently it's 1px x 0px...

Edit: maybe convert it to PNG and upload it somewhere before posting it.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 25, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Looks fine on Android Awful App

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Same in Firefox 84.0.2.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Same in Firefox 84.0.2.

Weird, I'm running the same browser. What happens if you click on it? On mine it panics and goes tiny because well it's trying to divide by zero.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks fine on Android Awful App

same in iOS

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Weird, I'm running the same browser. What happens if you click on it? On mine it panics and goes tiny because well it's trying to divide by zero.

It zooms it, like any other timg.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Works fine for me in Firefox if you click on the image to make it a bit bigger, but if you click on the image size to fully expand it freaks out like you said.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I have a new favourite. There are multiple pages to enjoy.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticsystem4/sugar.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
one half of me really wants to build an Elekit 8200 (the newest one, the "R" model) because it looks like the perfect way to get a tube amp and the other half knows it has to be overrated junk, because the only two publications that have given it a stellar review (or even really mention the 8200--an older version--at all) are 6moons and loving Ken Rockwell's blog

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

I have a new favourite. There are multiple pages to enjoy.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticsystem4/sugar.html

lmao they don't even try to make them properly, look how bad the loving holes are drilled into these. I refuse to believe anyone is stupid enough to buy these.

The only point they get right is environment is a huge factor in how things sound.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The only point they get right is environment is a huge factor in how things sound.
Most audiophile myths are based on some kind of fact, like how jitter was a problem on the very first cd players without oversampling and DACs without buffers so 35 years later you need an $8000 usb cable to prevent it.

e: Sound and Vision did a review of the wee lil KEF sub and basically it's great for small rooms but if you push it the bottom octave stays at the same level while the mid-bass gets louder. It would be cool if they did a slightly larger version with dual 10s or something.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

e: Sound and Vision did a review of the wee lil KEF sub and basically it's great for small rooms but if you push it the bottom octave stays at the same level while the mid-bass gets louder. It would be cool if they did a slightly larger version with dual 10s or something.

I hope so.

KEF is like the one company with products in the <$1000 range that really seems to get that you can’t compromise on center channel mass/driver size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm getting itchy for new speakers, if AC4L gets any white R5s it's over for me.