Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Gotta hand to this big yello mother fucker. Day in day out he keeps shining and giving life and we dont lift a finger to help. THANK YOU SUN! Thank you for another glorious day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Gotta hand to this big yello mother fucker. Day in day out he keeps shining and giving life and we dont lift a finger to help. THANK YOU SUN! Thank you for another glorious day.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

that big yellow fucker just thinks it’s hot poo poo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

420 PRAISE IT

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Cutest photobomb ever:

(Source: The Bad Place)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Thank you, Sun! I appreciate you!

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
two words: skin cancer

not a fan

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
loving hate the sun. It's too bright and too hot. We'd be better off without it.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

loving hate the sun. It's too bright and too hot. We'd be better off without it.

:hmmyes:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wanna solve global warming? Yeah, get rid of the sun.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Josh Brolin is not a fan of the sun.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Us night shift guys call it the Scare Ball

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It is my favorite omnipresent fusion reactor

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Skeleton Ape posted:

Us night shift guys call it the Scare Ball

hell yeah night shift bro :hfive:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well what the gently caress does he know? gently caress him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Well what the gently caress does he know? gently caress him.

Literal chapped rear end!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE S

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I want to launch garbage into the sun

Who’s with me

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pimpcasso posted:

Who’s with me

The sun is already 100% garbage so I don't see the point.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

weak poo poo

feast your eyes on a real star

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

weak poo poo

Keep thinking at first glance that this is some new horrible ancap variant

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Pimpcasso posted:

Who’s with me

way too hard, its a ton of dv to get to the sun. just launch it at mars or something

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bloody posted:

way too hard, its a ton of dv to get to the sun. just launch it at mars or something

What if we left it in our orbit to slam into on the next pass?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Accretionist posted:

What if we left it in our orbit to slam into on the next pass?

just dump it in a MEO parking orbit or slingshot it past the moon to who cares where. lotta room in space for low dv dumping grounds

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or, just, dont launch garbage into space. what a waste of energy

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

weak poo poo

A fun part about supergiants is that while that star is about 1700 solar radii, it's only about 10 solar masses. Which means that it's got an *average density* of .0083 grams per cubic centimeter. Since most of that mass is down where fusion's happening, the outer portions of the star are a good approximation to vacuum. There's no well-defined surface, the gas just gets less and less dense as you move outwards from the center.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bloody posted:

or, just, dont launch garbage into space. what a waste of energy

pretty much this.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
The sun was formed from the same galactic dust as the rest of the solar system. Our solar system is, obviously, a metal rich one, and so even though it's mostly hydrogen and helium, it's so huge that even that .01% of the sun's mass is still a Metric Assload of metals.

In other words, THERE'S GOLD IN THAT THAR SUN!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

The sun was formed from the same galactic dust as the rest of the solar system. Our solar system is, obviously, a metal rich one, and so even though it's mostly hydrogen and helium, it's so huge that even that .01% of the sun's mass is still a Metric Assload of metals.

In other words, THERE'S GOLD IN THAT THAR SUN!!

I mean you joke but there is a concept called starlifting to mine poo poo from the sun.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean you joke but there is a concept called starlifting to mine poo poo from the sun.

:thejoke:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The sun is only various yellowish colors when viewed from earth. It's blinding white light when viewed from space

i wish sci fi shows and such were more accurate on how stars this close really look like from the viewpoint of outer space, and not through some filter. they aren't orange balls from the perspective of human vision

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scrotum Modem posted:

The sun is only various yellowish colors when viewed from earth. It's blinding white light when viewed from space

i wish sci fi shows and such were more accurate on how stars this close really look like from the viewpoint of outer space, and not through some filter. they aren't orange balls from the perspective of human vision

It's called a yellow star not because it literally looks yellow but because its emission peak is in the yellow portion of the spectrum. If you add the red and the blue together, it puts out about the same amount of energy in those as it does in the yellow, so it's definitely gonna look white unless as before mentioned it's close to the horizon and you're seeing it through a lot of atmosphere that scatters the blue wavelengths preferentially.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I once flipped through a science textbook from 1929, and it is amusing that they have no idea how the sun works. They present all the mainstream theories at the time and then the reasons that none of them could possibly be correct given what they know about the age of the earth.

It makes sense given that so much of nuclear physics was just being discovered at the time, but it's still odd to think that even so recently, our best answer for "why is the sun?" was just a big shrug.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Big hint: only visit the sun at night

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
When I see the Sun, I hope it shines on me and gives me everything.

I love the Sun so much. It's amazing to me that we have a huge burning star in our sky that gives us life and everything we know.
A few years ago I built a DIY solar filter and attached it to my telescope so I could observe the surface of the sun and watch the sunspots change daily.
That was so mind blowing to me being able to watch our star change and morph in real time.

I love the sun. I worship it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Meemaw's dance party is lit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euS2SlC68q8

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

420 praise it everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Real Amethyst posted:

When I see the Sun, I hope it shines on me and gives me everything.

I love the Sun so much. It's amazing to me that we have a huge burning star in our sky that gives us life and everything we know.
A few years ago I built a DIY solar filter and attached it to my telescope so I could observe the surface of the sun and watch the sunspots change daily.
That was so mind blowing to me being able to watch our star change and morph in real time.

I love the sun. I worship it.
When I see the sun, I