Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://theathletic.com/2409146/2021/02/24/zion-williamson-all-star-growth/?source=emp_shared_article

quote:

After registering 115 drives to the basket as a rookie, according to NBA.com, Williamson already has 310 drives this season. In February, the only true forwards who have more drives than him are Jimmy Butler (261), Ingram (181) and Jayson Tatum (169).

Putting the ball in his hands has opened the floor for his teammates and turned the Pelicans into a top-5 offense. Per NBA.com, he has scored at least one point on 74.8 percent of his drives this year. The only player with at least 250 drives this year who has produced more when attacking the basket is Washington’s Bradley Beal, who has generated points on 79.4 percent of his drives.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Athletic is doing prospect rankings which are neat. Here's the top 10 if anyone is interested:

10. Fox
9. Morant
8. Ball
7. Young
6. Shai
5. Mitchell
4. Bam
3. Zion
2. Tatum
1. Luka

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bam is almost 24 and already signed his 2nd contract, does that really still count as being a "prospect'?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bam is almost 24 and already signed his 2nd contract, does that really still count as being a "prospect'?

He's agreed to an extension but it doesn't kick in until next year. The article ranks all guys currently on their rookie deal

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
1. Luka
2. Zion
3. Tatum
4. Shai
5. Fox

The league is in a really good place. Lots of great young players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I think he's mostly right that you probably get a better deal in the off-season and I don't think there is anyone they can use that on that would mean them getting to the ECF, much less further. It's still funny Ainge keeps trying these same tricks.

Not sure I agree that the offers are going to get way better when teams know they absolutely have to use to exception or lose it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

1. Luka
2. Zion
3. Tatum
4. Shai
5. Fox

The league is in a really good place. Lots of great young players.

what is the argument for Fox being better than Mitchell or Trae?

I know why Sam has Tatum over Zion and it's defensible, especially when I'm sure he wrote most of it before Zion got unleashed as a pick and roll ball handler and started setting the league on fire but not sure it's gonna age well, as awesome as Tatum is.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 25, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Elijah_Millsap/status/1364741923702005766

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

what is the argument for Fox being better than Mitchell or Trae?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwXFYu2Gug

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Stats per 36 min:

Player A
25.9 PTS/4.9 REB/5.7 AST/1.0 STL/3.2 TO/.555 TS

Player B
25.2 PTS/5.4 REB/2.9 AST/1.4 STL/2.4 TO/.590 TS

Who is Player A and who is Player B?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

it is a shame that Dunk Contest Winner Donovan Mitchell has never dunked before

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spacebump posted:

Stats per 36 min:

Player A

Player B

A is Fox

I don't know who B is.

those loving assists numbers throw me off.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

it is a shame that Dunk Contest Winner Donovan Mitchell has never dunked before

quite a shame indeed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

Stats per 36 min:

Player A

Player B

I cheated but lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I dunno how I feel about this whole Lowry to Philly story or if I really even buy into it being an actual thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

A is Fox

I don't know who B is.

those loving assists numbers throw me off.

A is Mitchell and B is Clarkson but Clarkson is loving awesome this year so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be insulting to Mitchell somehow or what. Doesn't really change anything about him relative to Fox either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MourningView posted:

A is Mitchell and B is Clarkson but Clarkson is loving awesome this year so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be insulting to Mitchell somehow or what. Doesn't really change anything about him relative to Fox either.

boy I'm dumb. Yeah, Clarkson has been great, and should win the 6th man of the year award.

https://twitter.com/ChrisVernonShow/status/1364597194641317888

lmao Tony Allen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You're not dumb Mitchell and Fox have pretty similar per 36s this year. Mitchell's career numbers are just better and his shooting is a lot more consistent year to year. Fox shot like 29% from 3 last year and was barely over 30% as a rookie. If he proves this year is real then I'd be more willing to consider the argument but I don't really see it now

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I still don't know how good the Spurs are.

They've squeaked out a record that's better than deserved but they also haven't had the team together basically at all.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

You're not dumb Mitchell and Fox have pretty similar per 36s this year. Mitchell's career numbers are just better and his shooting is a lot more consistent year to year. Fox shot like 29% from 3 last year and was barely over 30% as a rookie. If he proves this year is real then I'd be more willing to consider the argument but I don't really see it now

I was actually surprised Fox's 36 were as close to Mitchells this year.

His 3pt% is up again to 35% this year. It was 37% his sophomore year which maybe tracks I guess because he's a very 4-7 or 2-8 boom or bust guy. I'd like to see it continue to improve, but in the short and medium term he's already forcing guys to go over screens now or play him up a little more. I'm more worried about his continually declining FT%

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Clarkson is the best contract in the NBA (next to Lebron

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jesus christ

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

I always expect Ainge to end with the Andy-samberg-as-marky-mark "and say hello to your mother for me" when he starts getting snippy at reporters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD3_/status/1364997373101973504

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Was that an airball or did it make it to the front of the rim

God the Wolves are so bad, I couldn't believe they sent it to OT last night

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Was that an airball or did it make it to the front of the rim

It was a block

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Honestly the best defense in that situation is to be weird enough to distract them. A Mrs. Doubtfire impression is less energy than running out to the line.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bashez posted:

Honestly the best defense in that situation is to be weird enough to distract them. A Mrs. Doubtfire impression is less energy than running out to the line.

This is why Embiid's "ehh screw it" hand wave at the guy shooting was so effective. I can't find it, someone post it

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

possessed by the spirit of boylen on that one. is luke kornet the slowest active nba player?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MJ living the dream
https://streamable.com/yeyts0

quote:

Kevin Garnett on MJ: “Whenever I see Jordan he palms my head and says, ‘Remember the game I gave you 40 in three quarters?’ And then he has this sidekick around him and he’s like, ‘Pull that [video] up.’ And then a guy goes and pulls it up! I’m like, ‘Who walks around with content? Like, tee it up.”

Can't wait to see MJ guest star on RLM or something and poo poo talk Space Jam 2

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 25, 2021

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
KP is out again with back tightness, something he's never really had in his Mavs stay. One of three things is happening

1) he actually just has back tightness
2) he's gonna get traded
3) they decided that he needs some more rehab time and they're just covering it with back tightness

I'm suspicious because "back tightness" is what dennis smith jr had before he got traded

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jackofarcades posted:

KP is out again with back tightness, something he's never really had in his Mavs stay. One of three things is happening

1) he actually just has back tightness
2) he's gonna get traded
3) they decided that he needs some more rehab time and they're just covering it with back tightness

I'm suspicious because "back tightness" is what dennis smith jr had before he got traded

Rondo had a “back injury” when he quit on Dallas in the playoffs.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

WhyteRyce posted:

MJ living the dream
https://streamable.com/yeyts0

Can't wait to see MJ guest star on RLM or something and poo poo talk Space Jam 2

That's basically that John Mulaney joke about celebrities living in entire different world like Mick Jagger just yelling Coke! and a coke would appear.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

creamcorn posted:

possessed by the spirit of boylen on that one. is luke kornet the slowest active nba player?

jae crowder

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I was actually surprised Fox's 36 were as close to Mitchells this year.

His 3pt% is up again to 35% this year. It was 37% his sophomore year which maybe tracks I guess because he's a very 4-7 or 2-8 boom or bust guy. I'd like to see it continue to improve, but in the short and medium term he's already forcing guys to go over screens now or play him up a little more. I'm more worried about his continually declining FT%

Maybe the numbers don’t back it up but he is also quicker on the trigger, shooting more difficult step backs and off the dribble threes. Last year he got real hesitant even shooting catch and shoots.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Maestro posted:

Maybe the numbers don’t back it up but he is also quicker on the trigger, shooting more difficult step backs and off the dribble threes. Last year he got real hesitant even shooting catch and shoots.

His attempts are way up along with better accuracy which is good! It's just still a fairly small sample and he already had a big jump in accuracy his second year and then regressed pretty hard last year so hard to know what to make of it yet.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

He's already the league leader in getting into the paint and super efficient lol. I really don't know how teams will be able to stop him when he's surrounded by other guys who can score

The jump in his shooting is super impressive, and may be a fluke, but if it's real watch the gently caress out.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

His attempts are way up along with better accuracy which is good! It's just still a fairly small sample and he already had a big jump in accuracy his second year and then regressed pretty hard last year so hard to know what to make of it yet.

I know exactly what to make of it - he will be the best pg in the league for a decade straight after this, and play for the Kings while doing it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I want to be Michael Jordan's Personal Insulting Mixtape Guy where the job is to have prepared highlights of Jordan dunking on whoever is on his meeting schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I want to be Michael Jordan's Personal Insulting Mixtape Guy where the job is to have prepared highlights of Jordan dunking on whoever is on his meeting schedule.

In my head it’s just Salacious Crumb