Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's legitimately funny to me how much better the Stormcast design works without that dumb as gently caress deathmask helmet. It's fine for a generic high fantasy paladin/answer to a Chaos Warrior type; nothing special, but fine. Then you put the mask on and it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They killed 75% of their own city and I'm supposed to regard them as acceptable good guys?

That's not even just evil; that's ludicrous incompetence (or someone making up what seems like a really high number).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So we have not-Myrmidia, not-Ulric, and the spirit of runefangs (???) to join Morr, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

all I can say on that is I be,I’ve the number purged was inherited from Old GW, and the explanation they’ve gone for is that Slaanesh worked super hard to start a bunch of cults and also implicate a bunch of people who weren’t actually cultists and also to make the Vindicators especially paranoid, and it’s one of the biggest Chaos victories in the last century.

E: Not Ulric might be Not Ursun, given the bear thing. Unless you mean Ulfdengnarl, who is dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

They killed 75% of their own city and I'm supposed to regard them as acceptable good guys?

That's not even just evil; that's ludicrous incompetence (or someone making up what seems like a really high number).

The Vindicators also once just did a suicidal death run at Archaon and his armies in a battle that was already lost and many of them got perma killed by it. (The Vindicators leader there was also the one in charge of Vindicarum) After that and the slaughter of Vindicarum (Which was actually subtly caused by Slaanesh as similar slaughters happened at the hands of Stormcast in other free cities at the exact same time. As Slaanesh needed to break one of the chains trapping them 1000 innocent souls to be slaughtered by their protectors at the same time.) the Vindicators realized that their rage was becoming a handicap and are working to master it, viewing those events with a great deal of shame.

The Hallowed Knights are just straight up good guys however. Gardus one of their leaders is one of the most heroic guys I have seen in Warhammer fiction, and he was just a doctor before becoming a Stormcast, and in fact being a doctor and attending to the sick and wounded what he is pretty much all he wants to be again.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 23, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It's legitimately funny to me how much better the Stormcast design works without that dumb as gently caress deathmask helmet. It's fine for a generic high fantasy paladin/answer to a Chaos Warrior type; nothing special, but fine. Then you put the mask on and it's terrible.

I think Chaos Warriors are at most iconic when they have completely faceless helmets, so as contrast, Sigmarines can absolutely go bareheaded, especially when the art gives them tribal tattoos, wild hair styles and so on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

They honor as their patron goddess Mirmidh, She Who Rules, as equal to Sigmar.

That sure sounds like Myrmidia from the Old World.

JcDent posted:

I think Chaos Warriors are at most iconic when they have completely faceless helmets, so as contrast, Sigmarines can absolutely go bareheaded, especially when the art gives them tribal tattoos, wild hair styles and so on.

Stormcast have been getting much more bare heads for their models now and even have head sprues for that. Several GW related people even said that bareheaded Stormcast are the way to go.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 23, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JcDent posted:

Oh, obviously. The whole thing with Warriors is that a Chaos Army is full of wild Marauders, pressed into service cultists, screaming demons, and then you look over and there's this formation in perfect order, all eight feet tall and heavily armored, just walking towards you and completely silent. It's a neat contrast to the rest of the faction.

The Fantasy ones not having an 'easy answer' on the 'good' side also helped them a lot, since you're left wondering how you're supposed to stop that with a bunch of halberds.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I actually like the Stormcast's helmets, but only because I'm a lousy painter and those are pretty easy to make them look decent.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

quote:

The Hallowed Knights are just straight up good guys however. Gardus one of their leaders is one of the most heroic guys I have seen in Warhammer fiction, and he was just a doctor before becoming a Stormcast, and in fact being a doctor and attending to the sick and wounded what he is pretty much all he wants to be again.

Gardus is a great dude and good character but I can’t stop laughing at him because his latest model gave him Vince McMahon hair.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Gardus is a great dude and good character but I can’t stop laughing at him because his latest model gave him Vince McMahon hair.

It's based on the cover featuring him. Which I think is pretty cool. Plus Gardus never had a model so it's nice to see him get one.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

fuckin golden toilet bowl

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's based on the cover featuring him. Which I think is pretty cool. Plus Gardus never had a model so it's nice to see him get one.

That hair is way more Billy Idol than Vince McMahon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Book Gardus has six inches of hair on model Gardus, and is like thirty years younger.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Midjack posted:

That hair is way more Billy Idol than Vince McMahon.
I was like "Benimaru?"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's based on the cover featuring him.

Just because it's based on something doesn't mean that they did a good job of it :P

MonsterEnvy posted:

Stormcast have been getting much more bare heads for their models now and even have head sprues for that. Several GW related people even said that bareheaded Stormcast are the way to go.

And thus with every day, AoS evolves away from what it was when Kirby used it to kill WHFB. God, that peace of poo poo...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

For sure. AoS has been making strides in becoming it's own thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Just because it's based on something doesn't mean that they did a good job of it :P

Did I say that?

I personally think they can improve the model.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mors Rattus posted:

the godbeast Ursricht, the White Bear, whom they say has the spirit of both man and beast,

Somewhere, the spirits of Kislev are very unhappy about these morons calling Ursun a godbeast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always kinda wish they'd just done the sane thing and gone 'We're shelving Fantasy, thanks for the decades of patronage, but we cannot continue to produce it any more and here's this alternative setting!' without trying to put that in the fiction/story because the End Times is some serious 'GM/players trying to solve a dispute in-game and it's a disaster' kind of energy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Considering the people in charge at GW at the time I am surprised none of them tried to break into peoples houses and smash up old models.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

I always kinda wish they'd just done the sane thing and gone 'We're shelving Fantasy, thanks for the decades of patronage, but we cannot continue to produce it any more and here's this alternative setting!' without trying to put that in the fiction/story because the End Times is some serious 'GM/players trying to solve a dispute in-game and it's a disaster' kind of energy.

It has been utterly fascinating watching new management try to pick up the pieces and make nice things out of them, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soulbound: Champions of Order
Tree People, or Treeple

The Sylvaneth are not really a single species, but a collection of massively diverse plant-beings, ranging from tiny branchlings to the aelf-like revenants to the massive treelords. Their social structure is heavily classified but also structred in large clouds. Above it all is Alarielle the Everqueen, the goddess-mother of the Sylvaneth, who is advised by the Regents of the Royal Moot. Each of these is a Treelord Ancient that rules over a glade of Sylvaneth and imbues them with a specific temperament and set of traditions that distinguish them. Each glade then subdivides into clans, which are extended families formed from those who were part of the same birth-grou[ in the soulpod groves. The soulpod groves are revered and heavily protected, as they generate the next generation of Sylvaneth and allow the lamentiri containing the memories of the dead to be reborn in their descendants.

Most newborn Sylvaneth are Dryads or Forest Folk, reclusive beings who prefer peace and safety but who have been hardened by centuries of violence. They act unpredictably and can be terrifying when roused to anger. A minority are Noble Spirits, which includes pretty much all the PC options - disciplined leaders and warriors of the Sylvaneth, who form the standing armies of the glades and include many kinds of Sylvaneth, from the Tree-Revenants to the Branchwyches. However, there are also Sylvaneth born outside the clan glades. These are the Free Spirits, who serve Alarielle alone and directly, though they still tend to have some reflection of the glade they interact with most closely. The most common of those are the Kurnoth Hunters, who are more independent and purpose-driven than most Sylvaneth but are seen as strange by the Noble Spirits and Forest Folk due to their worship of Kurnoth alongside Alarielle. Even less trusted are the malicious Outcasts. The other Sylvaneth are not sure where they came from, for Alarielle removed that memory from them by magic. The most common are Spite-Revenants, seen only in times of war, when their cruelty and cunning are useful enough to risk getting near them.

While some Sylvaneth are nomadic, most of them join enclaves centered on soulpod groves or other sources of life magic. Some of these are small heartglades for a single clan, while others are fully developed greenholds, meant as fortresses against attack. While the majority are in Ghyran, the Sylvaneth devotion to nature has led them to settle in all of the Mortal Realms to a greater or lesser extent. Even with the divisions of glad, clan and enclave, the Sylvaneth are all deeply connected by the Spirit-Song, a magical enchantment that allows them to share knowlede, memories and sensations across great distance. While it originates from Alarielle, the mere existence of the Sylvaneth in an area makes it grow stronger there. In times of danger, the Spirit-Song helps the Sylvaneth muster as wargroves, gathering without needing to send messengers. It is strongest and most far-reaching in Ghyran, while in other realms its range is often limited by the number of realmroots that the Sylvaneth have planted. Rumor has it that realmroots can also be used to transport Sylvaneth souls, though it is said to be quite risky.

The Sylvaneth are definitely foes of Chaos, but they've had some trouble cooperating with the Free Peoples. They are, after all, motivated pretty much solely by a desire to protect nature, and do not really understand desires for fame, money or power. When their interests align with those of their allies, they are dependable and good to have around. When they d o not, however, they can be hard to rouse to aid, and when desires conflict...well, it is not rare for a Sylvaneth alliance to turn bad over lumber rights and pollution. Horrors in the woods are spoken of in many legends and stories, and the Sylvaneth are not afraid to visit them on people who won't listen to their pleas to stop harming the natural world.

Oakenbrow Grove are the most diplomatic and open of the groves, as well as the oldest and perhaps most arrogant. They consider themselves envoys of the Everqueen and are the Sylvaneth most often seen in the Free Cities. They are famous for their calm and discipline even among the fickle Forest Folk, as well as their intense respect for tradition and the ancient laws of the Age of Myth. They wear the colors of autumn as they head to war and operate in regimented formations, for they survived the Age of Chaos through discipline and structure. They consider themselves the favorites of their creator and strive to prove worthy of her love. They are easily the largest of the Glades, fighting battles in hundreds of different places and supporting the Free Peoples often. Their Treelords are some of the most active, sleeping for shorter periods than others and commonly seen leading them into battle. Their High King Rhalaeth is respected for his justice amd his desire to strengthen the alliance with the Free Peoples in the name of Alarielle. More Oakenbrow are Soulbound than any other Glade, and they tend to be reliable and noble, though still alien to other species in their desires. Many are natural leaders, their charisma and charm briding the cultural gap by sheer effort. Others are more passive, observing their Binding to learn more about the customs of other species so that they can help their Glade form stronger bonds.

The Oakenbrow benefit is Yield to None. You double Training for any roll to resist effects that inflict Conditions. Also, you get a bonus on Guile and Intimidation rolls during negotiations when trying to get your way.

Gnarlroot Grove claims a lineage that may be as old as even the Oakenbrow, descending from a conclave of Treelord Ancients and nature mystics. They rarely leave Ghyran and tend to avoid other people entirely, for their primary goal is to protect lost knowledge from the Age of Myth against those who would abuse it. Their capital is the Sivlered Grove, and it is home to many ancient and forbidden secrets that could change the world, if the Grum-King did not forbid it from being seen by any. It is said that only he understands all of these secrets, though the jade runes of magical mastery are common on the bark of the Gnarlroot Sylvaneth. They often tap into Ghyran's Endless Spells to support them in battle, now that those magics have been released. With so many secrets loosed by the Necroquake, mroe and more Gnarlroot have been looking outwards to find new lore. Still, they tend to be conservative traditionalists, and they endlessly debate the proper path forward. Their support has been crucial to the raising of new cities through Ghyran, at least, and many of them find the Soulbound a fascinating mystery. Several have become Soulbound just to learn more, though the cost is very high, as the Gnarlroot consider the spreading of the knowledge from their lamentiri to future generations to be a key duty of any scholar. They are distractible, slow to act and often keep secrets, but their magical might makes them welcome in a Binding nonetheless.

The Gnarlroot benefit is Eldritch Secrets. During chargen, you may design a spell as per the Create Spell Endeavor. You may cast it with Mind/Channelling, even if you don't have a Spellcasting Talent. Also, the Spellcasting (Jade) Talent is added to your list of available chargen choices regardless of Archetype.

Harvestboon Glade is not nearly as old as some, emerging only in the Age of Chaos. They have never been very numerous and fought frequently, but they are quick to grow each new generation, so their numbers have remained largely constant and they recover from loss easily. The Willowqueen that leads them does so from the front, unlike many regents, and her powerful Spirit-Song drives the Harvestboon to ever greater courage. They wear greens and yellows of spring, reflecting their belief that the current age is a time of rebirth and renewal. Some call them naive, but others see them as inspired, and they have certainly won many great vicotries in the Season of War. They consider becoming Soulbound a great way to become stronger and win more in the name of the Everqueen. Sure, they give up the chance to pass on the memories of their lamentiri, but their name will be forever spoken in the spirit-song, and they don't have nearly as long as history to lose in the first place. They tend to rely on their fellow Soulbound for advice, lacking ancestral memories to give it, and are often more individualistic than other Glades to begin with. They believe firmly that youthful ingenuity can be far more useful than ancient tradition.

The Harvestboon benefit is A Brighter Dawn. When you do an Endeavor that reduces Doom, it reduces by 1 more than normal. Also, you get a bonus to rolls to inspire others or shake them out of malaise.

Ironbark Glade was the first Sylvaneth group to settle in Chamon and the first to learn the secret of absorbing liquid metal via their roots. They have become as resilient in mind as they have in body and are notoriously stubborn. This made them close friends to the Khazalid Empire of the Age of Myth, who taught them many secrets of smithing and war. In the Age of Chaos, the Sylvaneth and Duarding fought together, but the duardin were eventually forced to flee to the air or to Azyr. The Ironbark did not, and while they lost many, their living metal-wood fortresses still stand. They emerge from them rarely, only when their Archduke orders them on proactive defensive raids. They have the secret lore that lets them emerge from realmroots of ironthorn, ambushing the enemy unexpectedly and then holding position as long as possible. Their bark shines with metal and crystal, and their weapons are amazingly well-made. When an Ironbark becomes Soulbound, it is often to repay some debt owed to an ancestor of a duardin member of the Binding. Ironbark are obstinate, rude and often obsessed with ancient history, and they can be hard to put up with until you earn their respect, which is given automatically only to other Sylvaneth or to duardin. They are proud and loyal warriors who rarely retreat and always deliver on their promises, in keeping with the ways they learned from the ancient Khazalid.

The Ironbark benefit is Veins of Metal. Your natural Armor rating is 3, not 2, but you can't benefit from Ironbark Oil to improve it further. Also, you get a bonus to rolls to resist Charmed or Frightened.

Winterleaf Glade was once Springleaf Glade, in the Age of Myth. However, they changed during the Age of Chaos, when Nurgle corrupted and destroyed their capital of Dappelloren and ruined the Hanging Gardens of Shimmervale. Tehir regent, the Bough-mother, was tortured and enslaved in the Gardens of Nurgle, and their replacement, Old King Scrioshal, died in battle in the Rimewlad, when he invoked the spirit of winter for a final stand. The Battle of Frozen Grief was a loss anyway, and the glade reformed as Winterleaf, a group of bitter survivors who fled into the wilds and fought Nurgle for centuries as guerrillas. They have already lost all that they had, now that victory is finally visible on the horizon. They have become cold and merciless, with little place for compassion in their bare-branched hearts. Even their Soulbound tend not to believe there will be some eventual victory. They are often fatalists, considering that their cause will be futile. They keep fighting not because they think they can win, but because they wish to cause Nurgle pain before they die. They rarely help the morale of their Bindings, though sometimes their mindsets can be thawed some by more cheerful allies. Alarielle may even hope that these Soulbound will restore the hearts of the rest of their Glade by creating new enclaves to rebuild in or even perhaps rescuing the Bough-mother from the Realm of Chaos.

The Winterleaf benefit is Winter's Bite. When the party Soulfire is lower than the Doom, you double Training and Focus on all Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill rolls, but get a penalty to Defence. Also, you get a bonus at all times on Intimidation rolls, but a penalty to all other social rolls.

Dreadwood Glade is a Glade of sadists from the darkest woods. If they knew what mercy was before, the Age of Chaos tore it from them. It is said that they are the ones who are responsible for what is known as the Shrouded Time, the forgotten part of the Sylvaneth histories in which the Outcasts were created. Most Dreadwood hate all non-Sylvaneth and hunt them even now. Several Glades, including Oakenbrow and Heartwood, name the Dreadwood as enemies to be fought, and even Alarielle has sanctioned them for the torments inflected by the Keeper of Dreadwood on captives. Some wonder why she allows them to exist, but the truth is that they are a useful tool, for no other Glade is as feared by the enemies of the Everqueen. She attempts to keep them focused on the forces of Chaos and Death, but she's also allowed them to, say, attack the forces of Greywater Fastness, whom she has no love for whatsoever. Few Dreadwood would ever consider voluntarily joining a Binding even for the Everqueen - most of their Soulbound are selected for the job as punishment. They are generally feared and distrusted by their fellows and typically return the favor; some say that Alrielle is trying to rehabilitate them by forcing them to work with the Free Peoples that they so hate, but if so, it hasn't really worked out so far. It's more likely that she knows their talent for horrible violence is sometimes worth tapping as a lesser evil against the worst of foes.

The Dreadwood get two benefits, because one of them is actually a drawback. First is The Shadow in the Forest. While you're a member of the Binding, Doom starts 1 higher than normal and can never go below 2. Second is Malicious Tormentor. The first time each combat that you kill a non-Minion foe, your turn immediately ends as you take your time to savor their death. For the rest of combat, you get a bonus to Melee.

Heartwood Glade has more Kurnoth Hunters than any other, for it was the Glade that fought beside Kurnoth in the Age of Myth and whose members fought and died with him at the Battle of Tears. The survivors of that battle were whittled down bit by bit as they fought their way home to return his spear to the Everqueen, and by the time they got there, only one Dryad could deliver the news of Kurnoth's death. The Heartwood have rebuilt their numbers, and they hope they can match the courage of their fallen ancestors, painting themselves in green and sky-blue to honor Kurnoth. Their regent is the Dowager Queen, who says that acts of fearless bravery help reawaken Kurnoth's spirit. She cites as proof of Kurnoth's imminent return the fact that those who live in the capital Hol'leath always feel a surge of energy when the Hunter's Moon rises, even if they are not Sylvaneth. The Heartwood are just as focused on alliances as the Oakenbrow, but they prefer to make allies on the battlefield. Their closest allies are the Kurnothi, aelves that worship the Hunter God. The Heartwood frequently aid the Oakenbrow and Harvestboon and have closer ties to the Free Spirits than just about any other Grove. They chance to participate in ever more glorious battles and thus bring about Kurnoth's return has drawn many to become Soulbound, while others do so in order to learn more of the secrets of soul magic and resurrection so they can facilitate his return in other ways. They are deeply enthusiastic and passionate about fighting Alarielle's enemies, and they tend to encourage reckless heroism in their allies, especially when the Hunter's Moon is high.

The Heartwood benefit is Call the Wild Hunt. As a Free Action on your turn, once per combat, you can Call the Wild Hunt. You and all allies in your Zone get a bonus to Melee and Speed but a penalty to Defence until the start of your next turn.

Our new Archetype is the Spite-Revenant. Spite-Revenants are the most common Outcasts, and most Sylvaneth prefer to avoid them and their vindictive nature. They move jerkily but quickly, often in ways that show off their vicious talons and fangs. They either do not hear or ignore the Spirit-Song outside of times of war, when their rage and hunger for blood draw them forth to fight alongside the Sylvaneth warhosts. Most of the stories about atrocities committed by the Sylvaneth can be traced back to Spite-Revenants, in fact. They often adopt strange reflections of the customs and colors of nearby Glades, but pretty much no one except the Dreadwood actually accept them. This is because their fury is contagious through the Spirit-Song, bringing terror and madness wherever they go, which seems to entertain them.

Some Spite-Revenants must be forced to join a Binding, but others jump at being Soulbound with troublesome enthusiasm. It's never entirely clear why, nor why Alarielle chooses them for it, but no one can deny the fact that they are capable of amazing acts of violence against the enemies of Order. They are generally unpleasant to have around, given the mean-spirited pranks they often get up to and the horrible trophies they collect. It can be made to work, usually by finding a foe for everyone to focus on, and the protections of the Binding should prevent them from being affected by the contagious madness they exude. Unfortunately, it often does little to stabilize the Spite-Revenant themself.

Spite-Revenants start with Body 4, Mind 1, Soul 3 and must be Sylvaneth. Their Core Skill is Weapon Skill, and they get a decent selection from among Athletics, Awareness, Determination, Fortitude, Intimidation, Nature, Reflexes, Survival, and Weapon Skill. Their Core Talents are Natural Weapons (Sylvaneth only, your bark hands are weapons that deal 1+S Damage and have the Slashing and Rend traits. You can't be disarmed, but your claws can be damaged, requiring a Rest to regrow just like your natural armor) and Unbridled Malice (unique to them, the first time you make a melee attack on any creature, they must make a Soul/Determination roll based on your damage or become Frightened until the end of their next turn). They also get 2 from among Battle Rage, Executioner, Relentless Assault, Sever, or Soul-Scarred. The only thing they start with is a trophy from one of their kills.

Next time: New Talents, Miracles and spells.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Considering the people in charge at GW at the time I am surprised none of them tried to break into peoples houses and smash up old models.

I'm reserving my spot in the line to pee on Kirby's grave.

quote:

Dreadwood Glade is a Glade of sadists from the darkest woods. If they knew what mercy was before, the Age of Chaos tore it from them. It is said that they are the ones who are responsible for what is known as the Shrouded Time, the forgotten part of the Sylvaneth histories in which the Outcasts were created. Most Dreadwood hate all non-Sylvaneth and hunt them even now. Several Glades, including Oakenbrow and Heartwood, name the Dreadwood as enemies to be fought, and even Alarielle has sanctioned them for the torments inflected by the Keeper of Dreadwood on captives. Some wonder why she allows them to exist, but the truth is that they are a useful tool, for no other Glade is as feared by the enemies of the Everqueen. She attempts to keep them focused on the forces of Chaos and Death, but she's also allowed them to, say, attack the forces of Greywater Fastness, whom she has no love for whatsoever. Few Dreadwood would ever consider voluntarily joining a Binding even for the Everqueen - most of their Soulbound are selected for the job as punishment. They are generally feared and distrusted by their fellows and typically return the favor; some say that Alrielle is trying to rehabilitate them by forcing them to work with the Free Peoples that they so hate, but if so, it hasn't really worked out so far. It's more likely that she knows their talent for horrible violence is sometimes worth tapping as a lesser evil against the worst of foes.

The Dreadwood get two benefits, because one of them is actually a drawback. First is The Shadow in the Forest. While you're a member of the Binding, Doom starts 1 higher than normal and can never go below 2. Second is Malicious Tormentor. The first time each combat that you kill a non-Minion foe, your turn immediately ends as you take your time to savor their death. For the rest of combat, you get a bonus to Melee.

<...>

Our new Archetype is the Spite-Revenant. Spite-Revenants are the most common Outcasts, and most Sylvaneth prefer to avoid them and their vindictive nature. They move jerkily but quickly, often in ways that show off their vicious talons and fangs. They either do not hear or ignore the Spirit-Song outside of times of war, when their rage and hunger for blood draw them forth to fight alongside the Sylvaneth warhosts. Most of the stories about atrocities committed by the Sylvaneth can be traced back to Spite-Revenants, in fact. They often adopt strange reflections of the customs and colors of nearby Glades, but pretty much no one except the Dreadwood actually accept them. This is because their fury is contagious through the Spirit-Song, bringing terror and madness wherever they go, which seems to entertain them.

Some Spite-Revenants must be forced to join a Binding, but others jump at being Soulbound with troublesome enthusiasm. It's never entirely clear why, nor why Alarielle chooses them for it, but no one can deny the fact that they are capable of amazing acts of violence against the enemies of Order. They are generally unpleasant to have around, given the mean-spirited pranks they often get up to and the horrible trophies they collect. It can be made to work, usually by finding a foe for everyone to focus on, and the protections of the Binding should prevent them from being affected by the contagious madness they exude. Unfortunately, it often does little to stabilize the Spite-Revenant themself.

So you can be a tree ghost elf Night Lord, huh

JcDent fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 24, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Might be hard to find a player who likes only interacting with the townies as a malevolent sadistic tree spirit.
Hard to find an otherwise well adjusted player that is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the Spite Revenants Page.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s definitely a character where, like, I can’t see myself,playing it or having one in the party without a lot of discussion of ground rules and expectations, but some folks might want to play out a story of the murder tree learning how to love.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

By popular demand posted:

Might be hard to find a player who likes only interacting with the townies as a malevolent sadistic tree spirit.
Hard to find an otherwise well adjusted player that is.

Ahhh, the In Nomine problem. FFG were smart enough to have a special "get out of the setting's dumb xenophobia free" ability in Rogue Trader, but I thought RPG designers were better than this by now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, quick thing and this is completely off tack, but I had always assumed that your avatar was a cup headed person in a long robe.

I just realised that it is a cup being held forward by someone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

It’s definitely a character where, like, I can’t see myself,playing it or having one in the party without a lot of discussion of ground rules and expectations, but some folks might want to play out a story of the murder tree learning how to love.

They've already got My Life With the Elf Thrill Kill Kult.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mors Rattus posted:

It's me, I'm the one who wants to be the spooky death woodman

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Froghammer posted:

It's me, I'm the one who wants to be the spooky death woodman

Yeah, actually this sounds more fun than belonging to the one faction that's Overwhelmingly Bigger and Older Than Others (Because They Have The Army Default Paint Scheme). Certainly a lot easier than choosing a Sigmarine faction.

Loxbourne posted:

Ahhh, the In Nomine problem. FFG were smart enough to have a special "get out of the setting's dumb xenophobia free" ability in Rogue Trader, but I thought RPG designers were better than this by now.

It's not xenophobia when you're a sadistic tree spirit belonging to the Night Lord glade.

In midnight grown!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

JcDent posted:

So you can be a tree ghost elf Night Lord, huh

Will you knock this poo poo off, nothing GW does is original, it is all archetypal fantasy poo poo, we get it, shut up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Will you knock this poo poo off, nothing GW does is original, it is all archetypal fantasy poo poo, we get it, shut up.

I don’t think that was intended to be insulting, the Night Lords are a GW thing to start with, and are creepy terror troops.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think that was intended to be insulting, the Night Lords are a GW thing to start with, and are creepy terror troops.

I mean, this. Like I said, not really vibing with the rest, but I'd play tree ghost elf NL.

Or maybe Greywater Fastness Guy Who Shouldn't Have A Gun But Has Because It's The Gun Town.

E: I had to go over old posts (RIP Inkless) and all of the freeguild classes save maybe Corsair and the Trade Pioneer seem wildly fluff-unsuitable for gun-having, which makes it more fun. Battlemages and Darkling priestesses have Mind 4 for that accuracy, While Warpriests are Mind 1, which probably means you take a blunderbuss. Still, you Ralph Bakshi it up with any wizard lore!

Man, this book would have been the perfect time to add a Witchhunter class or give Free City Dorfs something (though they only have three heroes in the game, so maybe a Cogsmith?), alas.

But hey, Sigmarines have more fun classes than not, including my favorites Knight-Questor (because I played Heartlands and they're basically immortal in those) and Knights-Venators (because I love Star-fated arrow for some reason).

JcDent fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 25, 2021

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm genuinely shocked to hear enthusiasm on it from you, cuz you have been dunking on it HARD.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

One of us, one of us, one of us.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Man, this book would have been the perfect time to add a Witchhunter class or give Free City Dorfs something (though they only have three heroes in the game, so maybe a Cogsmith?)

While I am a bit saddened a Freeguilder or Witch Hunter are not in the book, this book does have the proper talents to easily make them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Vietnam: A Rumor of War Update #5 - Cambodia, Laos, North Vietnam.. why bother?

Many Vietnam strategic games consider the civil wars in Cambodia and Laos part and parcel of the war in South Vietnam. A couple even include North Vietnam to add the possibility of a US invasion. Rumor of War includes all of these, and none are done any justice at all. Cambodia and Laos are done with the lacksadaisical thinking more or less typical in designs, and North Vietnam comports to Starkweather's desire to design a Korean War game.

The significance of Cambodia and Laos to the war is that the main landward supply route for the NLF forces ran through border zones in both countries, attracting the interest of both DRV and US operations, some covert, some overt to close or maintain the supply lines. Unfortunately, the games that try to model these do not really do anything to try to show the dynamics involved in both conflicts, and tend to just make them samey generic factions.

Laos

The Sleepy Royal Lao Army

Laos had, from the outset of independence been roiled by factional infighting between warlords, the government, and the Pathet Lao, with ethnic minorities in the country oscillating in their allegiances along with everyone else. As the conflict in Vietnam escalated into the 60s, the border zone and trail became important to the DRV, and the DRV began to be directly involved in protecting its supply line. After that, the CIA, and later less subtle covert programs sought to disrupt the trail running through Laos.

In game, there is absolutely no reward for the DRV gaining a communist victory in Laos. In fact, there's really no reason for the US not to fling the Royal Lao units toward the trail and hope for the best, as they guard nothing. Maybe you can stick a few HCM trail interdiction markers down. In reality, the Royal Lao army had enough problems as is in the north of the country, and had no appetite for moving south and risking more direct confrontations with the NVA. Most activity like this was run by Vang Pao's Hmong troops, which tangled with the Pathet Lao most of the time, and occasionally challenged the NVA. These Hmong troops do not exist in the game. Nothing meaningful happens in Laos in game. In reality, the DRV was content not to expose US covert operations because it would have exposed that they were violating Laotian neutrality themselves. In game, Laotian missions add to the 'covert missions' track that the DRV can roll to expose at any time.

There was no research done at all. The Laotian civil war could be its own game. It probably should, and this map could be a lot smaller, though I think the appeal is that since Vietnam is a long and thin country, it doesn't cost a whole lot of table space to add Cambodia and Laos, but I feel like if you're going to simulate a conflict, simulate it.

Cambodia

WTF

In 1965, the Khmer Rouge was small. They were determined, but a division and two battalions is insane before the civil war. Sihanouk's neutralist position still reigned, and he had a relatively stable government. Cambodia was not in the midst of civil war. In 1966, there was an uprising which started to put pressure among the urban elites and military officers to do something about the KR, and also the Vietnamese military presence on the border. During that time, Sihanouk had opened a port for the DRV to receive military supplies and a southern half of the Ho Chi Minh trail. As the years went on, he began to regret it, perhaps under pressure from his military. He began to soften his stance on US and ARVN incursions, though he didn't want to use the Cambodian army to try to enforce Cambodian neutrality or risk provoking the DRV or China by closing Sihanoukville.

In 1969, Nixon decided that part of his strategy of Vietnamization, buying time to complete the development of ARVN, would be to try to disrupt NLF logistics, and he thought he had an opportunity when he backed Lon Nol's coup of Sihanouk. Lon Nol might've done a coup anyway without the US sending its approval, as Sihanouk's straddling the line infuriated the nationalist sensibilities of the military officers but we'll never know. Almost immediately, the US begins bombing intensely and Lon Nol takes the opportunity to engage in some low key ethnic cleansing of the Vietnamese population on the way to trying to drive the NVA out of the country.

Initially, things seem successful- the NLF is reeling after Tet, and a US incursion in 1970 closes off what's left of the trail into IV corps, bagging enormous amounts of military supplies and destroying much of the infrastructure. However, the NVA retaliates by launching an offensive into Cambodia with Khmer Rouge support, effectively destroying Lon Nol's professional army. While Le Duan was not particularly interested in handing Cambodia to the Khmer Rouge, he also wasn't willing to allow Cambodian troops to threaten the NVA base areas or the Vietnamese population in general. During this time, Sihanouk arrives to lend his popular support to the KR, and the DRV begins training Khmer Rouge troops to garrison areas after it withdraws. This is a decision both Le Duan and Sihanouk would later regret.

Once the NVA troops withdraw in 1973 to focus on Vietnam again, the civil war goes badly for Lon Nol. His armies just couldn't handle the beating the Vietnamese gave them and he struggled to form garrisons around his cities, even with the meager US support he had. The Khmer Rouge would overrun the country in 1975, and the rest is well known.

In no way does Rumor of War simulate this at all. The idea that the Vietnamese reduce the US 'military victory' track by having the Khmer Rouge take Phnom Penh is absolutely absurd. As the years go on, the KR gets gradually stronger while the Cambodian forces stay the same, and eventually they'll be able to attack. If any US, ARVN, or NVA unit crosses into Cambodia or Laos from the border zones, they take a huge unrest penalty(either US unrest decreases or increases depending on who invaded). The US took an enormous amount of flack for invading the border zones in Cambodia, while Campaign X, where the North Vietnamese army left the border zones, did not galvanize the US people or administration behind further involvement.

Worse, Rumor of War has a high intensity conflict starting from 1965, which comically undersells the state of Cambodia at the time. Even Hearts and Minds managed to leave Cambodia closed to civil war until 1969. The Cambodian Civil War alone could be an interesting game all on its own accord, but being a underdeveloped side show in Rumor of War serves nothing, and just adds bloat to the game. There's a few units laying around, you could fight i guess if you want, whenever.

North Vietnam

Please, no, get me out of here.

The US takes an invasion penalty for invading North Vietnam, just like the other countries. There's not much there to gain, but hey there's a 1 in 5 chance every turn that the PRC will invade and every subsystem in the game will turn to maximum tonk offensive mode.

Half-baked, not even thought out, that's pretty much how this stuff goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This gross and wrong oversimplification of a vastly complicated series of conflicts makes me wonder what this asshat would've made of the wars of Israel.

My guess is he'd completely ignore the roles of that NATO and USSR played yet attempt to model (poorly) every single middle East nation regardless of how little it may have had to do in any particular engagement.

Which is a thing I'm familiar with from moronic political arguments, not poor game design.