Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
How very England to start the defense of this total with a comical misfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

India should’ve opened the batting with Axar and Ashwin

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Paul.Power posted:

One of the first Tests I watched was the Headingley 2000 two-day Test, and I don't think there's been a two-day Test since. Definitely a chance of that here though.

Checking, there have actually been five two-day Tests since then, here's the full list. None in the second half of the 20th century though.

And barring sudden freak rain or some kind of performance art piece by Pujara we're about to see another one.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 25, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
OK, they've given up. Chucking offies a foot down leg is not positive cricket

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
To be fair, as poor as this pitch is, both teams are playing the same surface. Most of the English wickets fell from the straight ball.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

notaspy posted:

True but there again you have Leeds F.C, Leeds rhinos, sheffields United and Wednesday, Bradford Bulls etc.

I am edging around making the case that the current county cricket structure is outmoded and outdated, and should be replaced by a city based setup.

There are loads of larges cities, and some with large asian populations, that have no representation thus cricket is missing out on having a much greater impact on the national sporting agenda.

Cricket should be the summer sport.

Few pages back but...There have been rumblings about this since I was playing. The problem is that the counties are the people who decide. You would have to actively get rid of the counties for a city level to exist. Then you get poo poo solutions like franchises. How many teams are in Middlesex* London, how many in Yorkshire or Lancashire. It is a can of worms that nobody wants to open.

So they have come up with a new format to avoid it. Though how long till we get a rival 99 or 101 is anybody's guess.

*Can you see the MCC voting itself out of existence?

Well done India.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Collateral posted:

Few pages back but...There have been rumblings about this since I was playing. The problem is that the counties are the people who decide. You would have to actively get rid of the counties for a city level to exist. Then you get poo poo solutions like franchises. How many teams are in Middlesex* London, how many in Yorkshire or Lancashire. It is a can of worms that nobody wants to open.

So they have come up with a new format to avoid it. Though how long till we get a rival 99 or 101 is anybody's guess.

The MCC isn't the Middlesex County Cricket Club, why would it be affected at all

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Well that's left me with gently caress all to do for the next three days.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Oh yeah...still the point about the counties stands.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The MCC isn't a county. It is a gentleman's club and sports leadership body that sometimes hosts cricket matches.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The problem with the teams in the 100 is that they've pulled a bunch of random cricketers together by the most mercenary of means, dressed them as hula hoops and then want people to care about these new made up teams with zero grassroots involvement or history. It's a completely corporate event designed entirely for commercial opportunities with the cricket itself relegated to fitting in around the adverts. It seems designed entirely for people who don't actually like cricket.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

According to AZ, it's the shortest test match by # of overs since 1935, and even that one included two declarations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In the last 2 Tests England have contrived to put together 4 innings each of which would be a disappointment in a T20 match. For the final Test England should slog like they have 6 overs left to get 60 runs and see what happens, can't be any worse.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It was the second day???

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is the claim.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I am real mad that I didn't stay up the last two days to watch this test. I love some Chaos Cricket.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well on the bright side, Root got a five-for and confirms himself as the best spinner* with 100 Test caps for England.

*Granted the competition is Kevin Pietersen, arguably the worst bowler to have taken 10 Test wickets.

Actually I guess I'm forgetting Cook's princely bowling average of 7...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 25, 2021

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

Well on the bright side, Root got a five-for and confirms himself as the best spinner* with 100 Test caps for England.

*Granted the competition is Kevin Pietersen, arguably the worst bowler to have taken 10 Test wickets.

Actually I guess I'm forgetting Cook's princely bowling average of 7...

Wasn't a spinner

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Cook bowled mostly left arm wrist spin I thought. Though his wicket was medium pace I guess.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

tarbrush posted:

Cook bowled mostly left arm wrist spin I thought. Though his wicket was medium pace I guess.
His wicket was from a ball slower than most spinners bowl at but bowled in the style of a fast. I reckon he's in a category all of his own, the slow bowler. Or dad-at-the-park-with-his-kids bowler.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Village trundler

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Dear Talksport, no more KP on commentary please

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
To be fair to India, the problems with this one might not be 100% the pitch. The extra lacquer on the pink ball might have caused more balls to go straight rather than turn, which did account for a lot of the english wickets, but still, that pitch was hosed.

Here is the scorecard from the fourth test in 2004 between australia and india

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-india-2004-05-61430/india-vs-australia-4th-test-64102/full-scorecard

Australia lost by 13 runs after being bowled out for 93 in the last innings. This match lasted into the third day, both teams made 200 in one of the innings and Michael Clarke took 6/9. It was a terrible poo poo pitch and the umpire dug some of it up to take back to the ICC to say "look at this poo poo".

Also, australia still should have won but got stupid in the last innings and collapsed.

I'm just saying this test just now was completed sooner, has less runs and Joe Root took 5/8. India should probably get in a little trouble for this one. I prefer matches where the ball dominates, but this went a bit too far.

Bairstow got a pair and it wasn't really his fault to be honest. But he still sucks and should never play in tests.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Collateral posted:

Well done India.

I am painfully aware that the counties are never going to give up their grip of the game in England.

The new first class setup has given me a half baked idea of keeping the counties AND a new city based fc competition.

Basically you have a cup comp for the championship with space for a yearly derby with your main rival.

You then have a city based but regional competition with finals of some sort.

Can you tell I like cups?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If we have a new cup every year they can support local silversmiths in perpetuity.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

garycoleisgod posted:

To be fair to India, the problems with this one might not be 100% the pitch. The extra lacquer on the pink ball might have caused more balls to go straight rather than turn, which did account for a lot of the english wickets, but still, that pitch was hosed.

Here is the scorecard from the fourth test in 2004 between australia and india

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-india-2004-05-61430/india-vs-australia-4th-test-64102/full-scorecard

Australia lost by 13 runs after being bowled out for 93 in the last innings. This match lasted into the third day, both teams made 200 in one of the innings and Michael Clarke took 6/9. It was a terrible poo poo pitch and the umpire dug some of it up to take back to the ICC to say "look at this poo poo".

Also, australia still should have won but got stupid in the last innings and collapsed.

I'm just saying this test just now was completed sooner, has less runs and Joe Root took 5/8. India should probably get in a little trouble for this one. I prefer matches where the ball dominates, but this went a bit too far.

Bairstow got a pair and it wasn't really his fault to be honest. But he still sucks and should never play in tests.

Unless the pitch is deemed as unfit (And it wont be since they kept playing on it) there is no downside to India making pitches like this again and again.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Part of England's problem is that they thought they had a gameplan against spin (i.e. copy Joe Root). And yeah, against good spinners on flat pitches or slow turners, going right back so you have time to adjust to whatever the ball is doing is a good plan. Using the sweep shot is also pretty great provided you trust the bounce. It was a strategy that worked really well for three matches.

On a fast turner though it seems like you really need to get to the pitch of the ball. And Axar Patel makes his arm ball skid a lot, especially with the pink ball, so there goes the bounce-trusting necessary for the sweep shot.

So maybe it's no surprise that England are going "aaa what" right now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Paul.Power posted:

Part of England's problem is that they thought they had a gameplan against spin (i.e. copy Joe Root). And yeah, against good spinners on flat pitches or slow turners, going right back so you have time to adjust to whatever the ball is doing is a good plan. Using the sweep shot is also pretty great provided you trust the bounce. It was a strategy that worked really well for three matches.

On a fast turner though it seems like you really need to get to the pitch of the ball. And Axar Patel makes his arm ball skid a lot, especially with the pink ball, so there goes the bounce-trusting necessary for the sweep shot.

So maybe it's no surprise that England are going "aaa what" right now.

Which three matches? Chennai where England made 134 and 164? Even Chennai 2nd innings England made only 178.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

therattle posted:

Which three matches? Chennai where England made 134 and 164? Even Chennai 2nd innings England made only 178.

Sri Lanka x2, Chennai 1

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Neesham is such a garbage bowler, has to be the easiest man to get after in world cricket

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He really seems like a part timer you pick to bowl 4 or 5 overs as a change up in an ODI. Not someone you have to bowl his full compliment in a match.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
One of the commentators saying something like "Neesham has only bowled his full compliment of four overs in a T20 twice before" just hung in the air so beautifully.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Here is a shot in the dark:

Does anyone here use excel to do cricket stats?

If so how do you manage uncompleted overs? E.g 1.1 + 1.5 = 3 not 2.6?

And what do you do about historical overs that were anywhere between 4-8 bpo?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

notaspy posted:

Here is a shot in the dark:

Does anyone here use excel to do cricket stats?

If so how do you manage uncompleted overs? E.g 1.1 + 1.5 = 3 not 2.6?

And what do you do about historical overs that were anywhere between 4-8 bpo?

No, but each ball of a 6-ball over should be .1666, so one over and one ball should be 1.16666. Historical overs: each ball is 1/number of balls.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
In the Sri Lanka vs Windies t20 that just finished, Akila Dananjaya took a hat-trick in his second over, and then was hit for six 6s in a row by Pollard in his third over.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

England. That's the post

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I saw the scorecard when I first switched on and was confused because it was 4:30 am. England playing with three bowlers?!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
England aren’t going to make 200, aren’t they?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

That was an extraordinarily soft dismissal.

Especially when there was a 50 for the taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

On the plus side, no KP on Talksport positively wanking himself into a climax over batting failures this time around