Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Gwaihir posted:

Kailh has a lot of low profile options: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000803757746.html

these have kinda limited support right? was thinking about doing some kinda split low profile board at some point but i think you need a special pcb that supports these kinda switches :(

even for "regular" boards, didn't seem like there were a ton of low profile options out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think a Keychron is probably the best choice? Best one that I can think of offhand

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k1-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31562985177177

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gwaihir posted:

Kailh has a lot of low profile options: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000803757746.html

Oh, that's interesting. Guessing it'd be kind of a project to swap switches out of a Corsair or Logitech board, if it'd work at all.

mewse posted:

You might like the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard, it's low profile

I've tried a different, probably older model and found it hard to re-adapt to the ergonomic key positions. My fingers are pretty clumsy, unfortunately.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Fnatic have a range of low profile mech keyboards too that are surprisingly good

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
People here talking about jades and navies and mentioning the heaviness - if you want something in between whites and jades, pinks exist. I have really liked mine. If you want more tactility, you can replace the springs with box white springs, which makes them like super tactile whites.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

So, Sculpt keyboard comes in this weekend. Any advice on adapting from standard keyboards to ergo? I never learned the "right" way to touch type, so that's going to be a process already, but anything unexpected to account for?
(Yes, I know the Sculpt is not the best there ever was, but it's the best that was "free" to me.)

haha wow never mind, this didn't end up mattering at all. Plugged in, installed drivers, got to work, half or more of the keystrokes dropped every time I type. Wireless keyboards, never again.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Is there anything blocking the line of sight between your Sculpt and the USB dongle? Mine was pretty finicky too until I got like an extension cable and kept the dongle on my desktop near my keyboard

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Depends on where we're measuring to. My work desk's layout has my laptop about 18" to the right, the bottom half of the keyboard probably catches my arms in line of sight but it's never fully blocked when typing. Can't move the laptop.
The key feel sucks anyway, Fn and num row keys are split "wrong", and I use the arrow keys too much for how much you have to stretch your hand to them anyway. Just not a good feel. Did appreciate being able to tilt both arms in and still have mostly straight hands, but my right hand (the much worse one that merited getting this) still has to be twisted most of the time so it's not solving the problem.

edit

Right edge of the Sculpt was where the arrow keys are, tried the USB piece both in the hub in front (wouldn't even slot into the USB port) and in the open port on the laptop.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 22, 2021

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

abraham linksys posted:

these have kinda limited support right? was thinking about doing some kinda split low profile board at some point but i think you need a special pcb that supports these kinda switches :(

even for "regular" boards, didn't seem like there were a ton of low profile options out there
The Kailh Choc switches have different leads from MX so the PCB does have to be made for them. There are only a few premade keyboards that use them (notably NuPhy, Keychron, and a few Chinese ones); otherwise they're mostly being used in kits, and those are mostly split and/or ortholinear (like the Gergoplex, Pancake, Naked48, Microdox, Corne LP, etc.). I like them a lot personally (my Gergoplex has become my daily driver), but the options are still pretty limited. Online stores like mkultra.click and NovelKeys do at least have some other varieties of choc switches besides the basic Red/Brown/White (I prefer gChocs and silvers personally), though no one's really adopted the Choc V2 switches that are compatible with MX style keycaps, sticking with the Choc keycaps that attach with two vertical prongs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

abraham linksys posted:

You could always handwire, but it looks like you'll need a somewhat unusual plate, according to Google.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

abraham linksys posted:

The Iris from keeb.io supports Kailh choc (MX and Alps supported as well). It's a pretty sweet PCB.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if the DuckyOne 2 SF pings much? I have a durgod k320 that pings every time I bottom out and even when I tap on the board itself.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Does anyone know if the DuckyOne 2 SF pings much? I have a durgod k320 that pings every time I bottom out and even when I tap on the board itself.

What switches?

Also I will be able to tell you properly in a few days when mine gets here.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Constellation I posted:

The Iris from keeb.io supports Kailh choc (MX and Alps supported as well). It's a pretty sweet PCB.

oh jeez, they just added a prebuilt option too. $130 for just the soldered PCB (with hotswap switches) too steep for me at this exact moment, but since the unsoldered PCBs are $60 it's actually not that bad...

(not actually sure if the chocs work for hotswap though, seem to recall seeing some build guides mentioned some special soldering instructions for them)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The Kyria seems to be quite a popular split/ergo choc board right now as well. It's got a bit more columnar stagger on it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Btw I'm selling a Moonlander if anyone is interested.

Has kalih box whites but it's hot swappable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

abraham linksys posted:

oh jeez, they just added a prebuilt option too. $130 for just the soldered PCB (with hotswap switches) too steep for me at this exact moment, but since the unsoldered PCBs are $60 it's actually not that bad...

(not actually sure if the chocs work for hotswap though, seem to recall seeing some build guides mentioned some special soldering instructions for them)

They need their own socket, different from the normal one.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Btw I'm selling a Moonlander if anyone is interested.

Has kalih box whites but it's hot swappable.

Was there something you didn't like about it?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Was there something you didn't like about it?

Ummm not really. I just have two other split keyboards which I like more.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

What switches?

Also I will be able to tell you properly in a few days when mine gets here.

Cherry mx blues. I think it has to be something more than just individual switches, because tapping any other part of the keyboard still makes a pretty audible ping.

I was torn between the Ducky and the Durgod hades, but the ping on my current durgod has been bothering me lately, so I’m adding no-ping to the matrix of keyboard desires. Was gonna pick up a Ducky with MX browns fwiw.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 24, 2021

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I hooked up my computer to my bedroom TV to game on and I'm looking for a wireless keyboard and a lapdesk/lap board that works well for gaming while sitting up in bed. I would love USB-C recharging and Topre switches (or something similar).

Budget is 400 or less. What would folks recommend?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Cherry mx blues. I think it has to be something more than just individual switches, because tapping any other part of the keyboard still makes a pretty audible ping.

I was torn between the Ducky and the Durgod hades, but the ping on my current durgod has been bothering me lately, so I’m adding no-ping to the matrix of keyboard desires. Was gonna pick up a Ducky with MX browns fwiw.

So I got mine with mx silvers, it's coming on Friday so will let you know then.

Generally clicky switches will give a more audible ping I've found, but it also depends on your typing style.

Do you have a deskmat or anything or is the keyboard on the top of the desk without anything in between?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

space marine todd posted:

I hooked up my computer to my bedroom TV to game on and I'm looking for a wireless keyboard and a lapdesk/lap board that works well for gaming while sitting up in bed. I would love USB-C recharging and Topre switches (or something similar).

Welll Niz Plum is about all i can think of. Got all that except EC switches which are Topre clones.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

If you’re down with 60% https://hhkeyboard.us/happyhacking/pro-hybrid/

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

All keychron boards are wireless and have usb charging.

No topres though

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at the Niz Plum. TKL would be ideal. The HHKB looks perfect except their idiosyncratic ctrl key placement fucks me up for gaming.

Any thoughts on a lapdesk/lapboard for sitting in bed?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Been enjoying my Keychron K2 a lot over the last couple months, but I think I’d like to try a 60% board.

My wish list would be:
- Bluetooth (primarily pairing it with my iPad so this is a must)
- RGB backlighting (I enjoy it way more in the K2 than I imagined I would :3: )
- Roughly $100CAD price range
- As standard a layout as possible for easy keycap set purchasing

The Gateron Brown switches I got in the K2 feel great so I’ll happily go for another set of those if possible.

A bit of googling seemed to suggest the Anne Pro 2 as a good pick in my price range of roughly $100CAD, but that there might be newer better options available or coming soon?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Keychron are launching a 60% board "soon"

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Anyone here used Boba Gum Silents? How do they compare to Ink Black Silents? Looking to replace Cherry Browns that a used Miya Pro I just bought came with.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CyberPingu posted:

Keychron are launching a 60% board "soon"

Just subscribed for email notifications when it launches. Thanks!

Welp, missed that mark.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Just subscribed for email notifications when it launches. Thanks!

Welp, missed that mark.

Lol.

I pre-ordered a Ducky Mecha SF and when looking at mech keyboards predictions for shipping it says

"Currently the iridescent paint used for the mecha SF hasn't passed QA checks which has halted production".

Expected shipping date: March 1st

:thunk:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just got the Razer Pro Type and drat do I love this thing. I needed a full sized keyboard for work setup and this is great. It's surprisingly heavy though compared to my TKL keyboard.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Before I spend an eye watering amount of money on them, is there any reason the MT3 /dev/tty keycaps won't fit on a Durgod Taurus K320 TKL with Cherry MX brown switches?

(I'm new to the mech keyboard hobby)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Rollie Fingers posted:

Before I spend an eye watering amount of money on them, is there any reason the MT3 /dev/tty keycaps won't fit on a Durgod Taurus K320 TKL with Cherry MX brown switches?

(I'm new to the mech keyboard hobby)

Should be fine, the Durgod has a standard bottom row from what I remember.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
So after a couple of keyboards, I’ve found I really like the 65% size. I have a Drop ALT that works wonderfully—except I’d really like Bluetooth.

General use would be paired with an iPad or a Mac, rarely to a Windows machine, and carried around in a backpack. I’m not too bothered by what switches are available, but the ability to swap them later would be nice. I don’t care about case lighting, and honestly full RGB for keys is unnecessary as well. I’ve used both the ALT and a Anne Pro II and the heavier case of the ALT is nice, so I’d prefer that if possible.

I’ve been considering the Keychron K6 with hotswap. I don’t know if the aluminum case would be worth the extra cost if I never use the RGB portion. Are there any other keyboards I’m not considering?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Should be fine, the Durgod has a standard bottom row from what I remember.

Thanks, guess I'll go ahead and order. Were prices of premium keycaps this crazy before the pandemic?

I wish I didn't know about the MT3s -_-

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just ordered a switch tester. I'm probably going to regret this.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Rollie Fingers posted:

Thanks, guess I'll go ahead and order. Were prices of premium keycaps this crazy before the pandemic?

I wish I didn't know about the MT3s -_-

Keycap prices have always been expensive for sets like that.

They mostly keep resale value (especially if they discontinue them).

I sold a set last year for $400 that I paid $150 for.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

dabre_aiamim posted:

So after a couple of keyboards, I’ve found I really like the 65% size. I have a Drop ALT that works wonderfully—except I’d really like Bluetooth.

General use would be paired with an iPad or a Mac, rarely to a Windows machine, and carried around in a backpack. I’m not too bothered by what switches are available, but the ability to swap them later would be nice. I don’t care about case lighting, and honestly full RGB for keys is unnecessary as well. I’ve used both the ALT and a Anne Pro II and the heavier case of the ALT is nice, so I’d prefer that if possible.

I’ve been considering the Keychron K6 with hotswap. I don’t know if the aluminum case would be worth the extra cost if I never use the RGB portion. Are there any other keyboards I’m not considering?

I'd go with the Keychron imp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Finally got my MT3 /dev/tty set after having it stuck in customs for like two weeks and change, and while it's great, it turns out the spacebar is a bit warped so it gets stuck. I hear you can solve this with heat and weights, and I think I might try putting the spacebar in boiling water. Anyone tried that or have any tips for a better method? This is the woes of a PBT spacebar, I guess.