Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Right, I'll make sure to let him know to stay away from those, and those pesky sales people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Argentine ants found another crack in the wall and established a colony inside my wireless router. They were using the front USB port as an entry/exit point.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: Argentine ants found another crack in the wall and established a colony inside my wireless router. They were using the front USB port as an entry/exit point.

Universal Serial Bug?

... I'll show myself out.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have been trying to get a new network monitoring program for the last few years. We have a combination of 2 old programs that are both out of date, and in one case, on EOL hardware. If either fail, they are done.
A year ago, we finally got the ok to start looking at something, and maybe being able to spend some money on it, so we can actually get something that does more then the basics.
So, first one picked is SolarWinds. You know, the industry leader. Project goes no where, as IT management hates that it costs money. News of the big Solarwinds hack gets out, and welp end of that one.
Project completely grinds to a halt.

Yesterday, we find that now we have to write a story on why we need this. At this point, I'd say gently caress it, we'll just rely on Smokeping call it good there. If it pings, it works, end of troubleshooting.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

angry armadillo posted:

If you didn't come into contact with the dude, how do you know he wasn't wearing a mask or that the windows were closed? (I feel like I've missed a bit but I can't work it out?)

Because the guy that gave the training called me and told me so. We're the original project team and support people for Navision in our company so we work to a lot. When one of the people in the training session tested positive the next day, colleague called me to rage about the fact the dude in question didn't even wear his mask and was present for both sessions scheduled that day (I was supposed to be in the training session too but I bailed since I gave my notice a couple of weeks ago). Then the company classified the incident as low-risk since the alternative was at least 5 high-risk contacts (with associated 10 day quarantaine) which would have seriously jeopardized operations in that office.

Steakandchips posted:

Don't waste your breath on those assholes and just stay working from home until you start your new job.

Everytime they ask you to go in, make an excuse.

Don't worry, I plan to. I have to go in at least once to turn in my badge and laptop and stuff but that's it for me.

Steakandchips posted:

They'll just argue with him about that poo poo.

"Sorry, I have a personal emergency".

True. I got a mail from the owner yesterday reprimanding for my mails to HR, saying I shouldn't rely on hear-say and to wait for official communication, and that everybody who was regularely in the office had been notified. Oh, and BTW, I've had plenty of time to prepare my hand-over by now and when is it going to happen? It looks like I hit a nerve somewhere.

Suits me, best case I get some free time before I start my other job. :)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sixth and maimed posted:

True. I got a mail from the owner yesterday reprimanding for my mails to HR, saying I shouldn't rely on hear-say and to wait for official communication, and that everybody who was regularely in the office had been notified. Oh, and BTW, I've had plenty of time to prepare my hand-over by now and when is it going to happen? It looks like I hit a nerve somewhere.

Suits me, best case I get some free time before I start my other job. :)

This is when I gleefully take the opportunity to enact the "I don't need to put up with this poo poo, bye" clause that's implicitly present in all resignation letters. Never had to use it before, because most management have the nonzero number of neurons necessary to realize that clause exists and not trigger it. And the situation you describe is about as extreme as it gets without direct physical violence.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

This is when I gleefully take the opportunity to enact the "I don't need to put up with this poo poo, bye" clause that's implicitly present in all resignation letters. Never had to use it before, because most management have the nonzero number of neurons necessary to realize that clause exists and not trigger it. And the situation you describe is about as extreme as it gets without direct physical violence.

No can do here. They can't just fire me without a given notice (based on length of employment), I can't walk out without giving the same. But since they seem to want to get me out ASAP, who am I to argue?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Your handover brief can be a few pages full of lorem ipsum? :sun:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Can't fault my Meraki...

That I got for free and flashed with OpenWRT once the license expired.

Lum fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 25, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, i have to jtag my meraki to load openwrt onto it?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You tell the engineer that that is a government network they're playing with, and if they violate the running order their all-but-certainly contracted asses can be held directly liable for any damages or outages caused to said GOVERNMENT NETWORK by willful negligence.

If they want to play stupid games, offer stupid prizes.

Aaaaaand inevitable problem has just happened. They caused an important outage, now claiming it wasn't them... they've been told not to leave until it's resolved they are somewhat unhappy

sixth and maimed posted:

Because the guy that gave the training called me and told me so. We're the original project team and support people for Navision in our company so we work to a lot. When one of the people in the training session tested positive the next day, colleague called me to rage about the fact the dude in question didn't even wear his mask and was present for both sessions scheduled that day (I was supposed to be in the training session too but I bailed since I gave my notice a couple of weeks ago). Then the company classified the incident as low-risk since the alternative was at least 5 high-risk contacts (with associated 10 day quarantaine) which would have seriously jeopardized operations in that office.
Always amazes me that the company will just ignore the reputational damage of exposing what I assume is a 3rd party trainer being exposed to such practice. Even if he isn't a 3rd party, just that cross department reputational damage is still huge. Crazy dude

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

angry armadillo posted:

Aaaaaand inevitable problem has just happened. They caused an important outage, now claiming it wasn't them... they've been told not to leave until it's resolved they are somewhat unhappy

This probably isn't the root of the Federal Reserve outage yesterday, and I'm sure you can't confirm it if it is. But in my heart of hearts, I know that this is what caused the Fed outage, and I treasure that our paths have intersected in such an obtuse manner.

And if they DID cause the fed outage, hooo boy. Damages will start in the high millions and vindictiveness could bring it into the billions.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't everyone just upload and download all their text ach files from sftp at midnight?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am lucky that only one of my team members is any bit resistant to masks and we are all full remote. Wearing a mask isn’t optional though and I am not going to be in the same room as someone not wearing one.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Well just discovered that whoever has been buying the desktops has been getting 100gb SSD drives.

Not sure why the gently caress when windows alone takes up like 40gb but I asked and they said ‘they user shouldn’t need more’. Never mind that a user spending more than 30min cleaning up local storage will more than cover the cost of the bigger drive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Well just discovered that whoever has been buying the desktops has been getting 100gb SSD drives.

Not sure why the gently caress when windows alone takes up like 40gb but I asked and they said ‘they user shouldn’t need more’. Never mind that a user spending more than 30min cleaning up local storage will more than cover the cost of the bigger drive.

The price of a normal drive is what, 10 bucks more per machine? Downgrading your storage has extreme diminishing returns when purchasing workstation and is never worth the time.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
We’re paying for all this cloud storage and I just saved the company $3000! The savings are already noted on my performance review!!!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Aesis posted:

I absolutely hate Slack. There are far too many mentions that I’m choked full of messages I need to reply to :smith:

From a few pages back but I very much agree with you.

I’m in 43 channels in my workplace slack and another 18 in my customer’s slack. There are so many “unread messages” red circles splattered across my slack client that slack has become meaningless at prioritizing any kind of meaningful messages.

I hate slack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

43 channels is too goddamn many. Do people dream up a discussion topic then demand it be split off into a new channel every time?

I feel like it's too many with 12.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think teams is better. It does everything I want it to do.

As weird as it sounds I wish I could use it with my non-work peeps like discord.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

When I started pushing out Teams, in most cases each program got a Team. (goal was to have a Team for most clusters of people who are pragmatically a team) I initially started with topical channels/folders, and then we tried just doing Staff/Mgmt/Archive with a separate dedicated Team for management discussion within the district because private channels are a pain to admin at scale.

It worked out pretty well, most people aren't in a million Teams and discussions tend to happen in the relevant program Team in a single channel. Would recommend.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I think teams is better. It does everything I want it to do.

As weird as it sounds I wish I could use it with my non-work peeps like discord.

The problem I have with teams is the "Teams" panel where every line it's it's own discussion thread. It's just weirdly presented. I get the concept, but it's super unclear how to use it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Also, each Team is also a Microsoft Group, so if you tick the option to subscribe all new members when you build out the Teams, you also create a situation where you can email any team as a whole within the org by using the associated email address as a distribution group

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

angry armadillo posted:

Always amazes me that the company will just ignore the reputational damage of exposing what I assume is a 3rd party trainer being exposed to such practice. Even if he isn't a 3rd party, just that cross department reputational damage is still huge. Crazy dude

Give the fuckers their stupid prize then and be extremely vocal about what caused the problem and how it was caused.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Requested Visio from IT ten fuckin days ago and I have contracted deliverables due soonish that require Visio diagrams. They won’t even respond to the ticket or my manager or his boss. Cool stuff

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if you or a boss have a card for expenses, gently caress your it department

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/visio/microsoft-visio-plans-and-pricing-compare-visio-options

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/visio-standard-2019/cfq7ttc0k7cf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

just document with your supervisor that you submitted ticket number xyz 10 days ago, you have project abc do tomorrow, the company can't afford to miss the deliverable, yada yada

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I generally despise shadow IT, but i can appreciate how employees taking things into their own hands probably keeps companies like yours afloat when the IT department doesn't so much as say hello after 10 days

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea I’m probably just gonna buy a LucidCharts sub instead and expense that lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Yea I’m probably just gonna buy a LucidCharts sub instead and expense that lmao

:commissar:

It seems fine, until a few years from now and you leave and take all the company IP with you in your personally owned lucidchart account. I am going through this drama right now with a Lead Dev who fought us at every single turn because we kept blowing up his shadow IT nonsense. Come to find out that some of the UX resources he created was his personal account and not his company account and he is refusing to return the IP.

I want to punt Devs into the sun.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I’m not a dev and I’d be tying it to my company email, my laptop is managed by IT so gently caress installing Visio using a personal MS account

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Friday:
me: I hear your department is planning to do y with your participants so you can follow the law. Let's chat about options for how I can set up our systems to support this.

Monday:
:sludgepal:: Yes, we're doing y with our participants, what do you recommend?
me: There are a couple of different ways to do y, but I recommend foo. This is why I recommend foo, and this is how foo works.
:sludgepal:: This makes sense, let's do foo.
me: If you give me this, that, and the other, I will set up foo and train you and your other staff on how to use it. It will take me a couple of days to set it up once I have what I need from you.
:sludgepal:: Okay! I'll send this, that, and the other to you.

my email inbox: has neither this, that, nor the other.

Today:
:coffeepal:: I'm :sludgepal:'s support staff. Our department is doing y. We talked with :beerpal: and decided to use ᛒᛆᚱ. Set up ᛒᛆᚱ for us.
me: I spoke with :sludgepal: about y, I recommend foo instead of ᛒᛆᚱ, because ᛒᛆᚱ doesn't exist. Here are the reasons i recommended foo. :sludgepal: was going to send me this, that, and the other so I could set up foo; once I have that I can set it up in a couple of days.
:coffeepal:: That's super, foo sounds like the right choice.
:coffeepal:: We need it by tomorrow because that's when we're starting to do y.

my email inbox: still has neither this, that, nor the other.

this isn't a big deal that's worth complaining about, but i went through all the work of formatting this post so i'm not going to delete it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Man 1 told you he'd give you X, Y, Z so that process A is possible.
1 week passes.
Man 1 did not give you X, Y, Z.
Man 1 tells Man 2 you are supposed to give Man 1 X, Y, Z to allow process A to take place.

Man 1 is throwing you under the bus because he couldn't be arsed to do his job.

You best have an email trail showing "Man 1 told you he'd give you X, Y, Z".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A not insignificant part of my day is spent ensuring that CYA is in place

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Vendor: "We need to send email as your primary domain. Not a subdomain"
Us: "Sure, set up DKIM and forward us the info to add to DNS"
Vendor: "NO DKIM. ONLY SPF. Use this include with 6 lookups"
Us: "That's too many lookups"
Them: "Just manually put in these 5 IP addresses that we'll change one day without telling you"
Me: *cries in DMARC*

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:ssh: i can set up foo in 10 minutes with fair weather and a following wind, the couple of days is padding because I could just tell someone was going to dawdle.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

klosterdev posted:

When I started pushing out Teams, in most cases each program got a Team. (goal was to have a Team for most clusters of people who are pragmatically a team) I initially started with topical channels/folders, and then we tried just doing Staff/Mgmt/Archive with a separate dedicated Team for management discussion within the district because private channels are a pain to admin at scale.

It worked out pretty well, most people aren't in a million Teams and discussions tend to happen in the relevant program Team in a single channel. Would recommend.

I want your users.

When Teams was pushed out to us, there was no marketing, documentation, or anything provided (training was offered about 5 months AFTER the rollout was completed), so the structure in Teams is haphazard at best.

At one point, one of the managers went and created a 1:1 Team (not channels) for each of their staff. I looked, and we have >1,000 teams for an organization of 1,600 people.

I’ve been working for months to clean up the channels and consolidate content into proper Teams while migrating everyone to SPO along with their old on-prem SharePoint sites (since each Team gets its own SharePoint site).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I have no problem with the access points, they work pretty well, the prices are in line with Aruba etc, the management is nice. It’s the firewall and switch offerings that seem crazy.

Uhhh....yeah....I'm gonna have to just go ahead and uh, disagree with you there Ants. Mmmm. Y'see, the switches are nice in one crucial way, that being the tags in the dashboard. If you properly tag your ports with all the myriad of tags you could ever want, then when you're trying to find a port, or perform an operation on a subset of ports (especially if they're not on the same switch in a stack), it makes it incredibly easy and fast to slice and dice your view to get just the ports you need and edit them, as opposed to scrolling through a Cisco config trying to figure out what ports do what and hoping someone put descriptions on them. Search for VMCluster tag, you get all the ports related to the VM cluster. Search for VLAN150, you get all the access ports on that VLAN. ASSUMING OF COURSE that the tags are being maintained, which is a huge assumption and may not be true for your given environment/network people.

Should the switches cost for example $6000 each for a 48 port PoE Cisco 3850 equivalent? No sir, no they should not, that is loving absurd and that's before you get into the fact you're renting the switch instead of buying it. But for actual management operation the tagging and search features make it very fast to find and do anything in a large stack and I vastly prefer it over IOS.

Firewalls no disagreement there, it's trash and laughable how much they cost, and gently caress Meraki for deciding built-in OS VPN clients were fine and dandy.

duffmensch posted:

I want your users.

When Teams was pushed out to us, there was no marketing, documentation, or anything provided (training was offered about 5 months AFTER the rollout was completed), so the structure in Teams is haphazard at best.

At one point, one of the managers went and created a 1:1 Team (not channels) for each of their staff. I looked, and we have >1,000 teams for an organization of 1,600 people.

I’ve been working for months to clean up the channels and consolidate content into proper Teams while migrating everyone to SPO along with their old on-prem SharePoint sites (since each Team gets its own SharePoint site).

If you can get away with it in your org, I highly recommend using this process to block user creation of Teams - frankly, it's nuts this isn't more easily Powershellable or even a global checkbox in the GUI and hopefully Microsoft enables that at some point.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

duffmensch posted:

I want your users.

There's a setting somewhere to auto-delete unused Office 365 groups and it owns so much, just set that and wait.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a setting somewhere to auto-delete unused Office 365 groups and it owns so much, just set that and wait.

"What do you MEAN the group for the Biannual C-level Jamboree no longer exists? This is affecting production!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Meraki APs are awesome and everything else they do is poo poo unless you’re setting up a network for Mom and Pops Birdfood Store