Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

well... as an american consumer of Rx drugs, the "a good distributor that any doctor can use simply with an API integration" really appeals to the `puter toucher in me. And this dude seems like he really wants to press the issue. IDK poo poo about NZ to know if drug distribution is a problem there.

Also Ground floor is like...1+% equity.

They've raised a lot of money so...good luck there.

I’ll have a look when I have a minute at lunch time.

At the very least I think there’s bound to be some opportunities in the overlap of the venn diagram between pharmacist and someone who knows a thing about a computer

the biggest problem being proving that i know a thing about a computer or maybe the thing I know about computer is utterly worthless and in which case how i can I learnt the one thing that makes the difference

it’s a shame coz i’m not stupid and in fact multi skilled in many ways including human to human interaction. sometimes I wish there was some way for someone who knows poo poo to see my potential and work out what the hell I can do with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
american healthcare is hellworld healthcare cuz there's more money to be made in middlemen, so i dunno about their appetite for expansion into comparatively-commielands

sorry about not knowing you deal pills, best of luck

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh nice, i thought you yourself were right above nz minumum wage. is your kind of salary just not something that new pharmacists can realistically ever get? 87k seems pretty good, assuming nz bucks spend in nz like usd spend in the us (or even if they're not as good, yall have an actual social safety net which is cool)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

I’ll have a look when I have a minute at lunch time.

At the very least I think there’s bound to be some opportunities in the overlap of the venn diagram between pharmacist and someone who knows a thing about a computer

the biggest problem being proving that i know a thing about a computer or maybe the thing I know about computer is utterly worthless and in which case how i can I learnt the one thing that makes the difference

it’s a shame coz i’m not stupid and in fact multi skilled in many ways including human to human interaction. sometimes I wish there was some way for someone who knows poo poo to see my potential and work out what the hell I can do with it

I mean if NZ is part of their strat...$75M buys a NZ `puter toucher to team up with you and a few $100k in NZ boner pills. So, you dont really need to know about `puter touching...you just need to be excited to tech someone who does about distributing boner pills, hair loss meds, heartworm medication (I guess IDK your laws) via mail in NZ and need to be able to tell Sid, hey this is a problem here pay me some monies and I'll do it here. My guess is Sid has the connect with the US clientele who would gladly do the same thing in NZ but lack a echinopsis familiar with the regs and interested in doing so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

oh nice, i thought you yourself were right above nz minumum wage. is your kind of salary just not something that new pharmacists can realistically ever get? 87k seems pretty good, assuming nz bucks spend in nz like usd spend in the us (or even if they're not as good, yall have an actual social safety net which is cool)

pharmacy is a wage heavy job coz a lot of people work part time. i’m on 37.50/hr and do 45 hour weeks. some pharmacists get 40-42 for being manager of a bigger pharmacy. i’m manager of a smaller pharmacy. it’s not often talked about because we work directly with a bunch of people on about 22/hr

what does me in about my job is that it feels like a sinking ship and my job isn’t just to be a pharmacist but also a business saving magician. and also a sales man. and i can never leave because the place can’t be open without a pharmacist and i’m the only one. and so i spend all my week in a small building with the same staff who are nice but also just middle aged women. and the customers are ok but some are super poor and i’m always taking on the load of poor depressed and unwell people and have to smile thru it.

i get between $1150-1300 in the hand each week. i’m certainly not poor. but I have a bunch of debt to take care of and am general terrible with money. self-hatred ain’t cheap

CarForumPoster posted:

I mean if NZ is part of their strat...$75M buys a NZ `puter toucher to team up with you and a few $100k in NZ boner pills. So, you dont really need to know about `puter touching...you just need to be excited to tech someone who does about distributing boner pills, hair loss meds, heartworm medication (I guess IDK your laws) via mail in NZ and need to be able to tell Sid, hey this is a problem here pay me some monies and I'll do it here. My guess is Sid has the connect with the US clientele who would gladly do the same thing in NZ but lack a echinopsis familiar with the regs and interested in doing so

id be a fool not to explore this

at least it sound different

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

pharmacy is a wage heavy job coz a lot of people work part time. i’m on 37.50/hr and do 45 hour weeks. some pharmacists get 40-42 for being manager of a bigger pharmacy. i’m manager of a smaller pharmacy. it’s not often talked about because we work directly with a bunch of people on about 22/hr

what does me in about my job is that it feels like a sinking ship and my job isn’t just to be a pharmacist but also a business saving magician. and also a sales man. and i can never leave because the place can’t be open without a pharmacist and i’m the only one. and so i spend all my week in a small building with the same staff who are nice but also just middle aged women. and the customers are ok but some are super poor and i’m always taking on the load of poor depressed and unwell people and have to smile thru it.

i get between $1150-1300 in the hand each week. i’m certainly not poor. but I have a bunch of debt to take care of and am general terrible with money. self-hatred ain’t cheap

id be a fool not to explore this

at least it sound different

Here's the US status on Pharm wages: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yah in the US a pharmacist now has to train to the level of a phd? or doctor idk.

hardly ever use our clinical skills or knowledge.

e: no need to bring everyone else into my pit of misery

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 23, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

yah in the US a pharmacist now has to train to the level of a phd? or doctor idk.

pharmd is a doctorate but some schools will admit really good undergrads after 2 years and grant a bachelor’s of some sort with a combined 6 year program

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
pharmacy is cool because you get to lord over the drugs. you're a drug lord

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Not a Children posted:

I had an amazon interview a few years ago where the interviewer either intentionally or unintentionally said something incorrect about a technical matter and I wasn't sure if it was a slip of the tongue or a gotcha kinda thing, I kinda just smiled and nodded and moved on to the next thing

I didn't address it and I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't get the offer

Interviewing is garbage

Lol, I had someone do this to me in college when I was applying for an internship. They said something incorrectly about how linked lists stored stuff in memory and I just kind of went with it because I didn't want to call them out. I think the guy dismissed right as I walked in, so I don't think it mattered. :v:

I also had another guy who kept on saying this would be a 2 line statement in python after every whiteboarding problem we did. There was nothing in the internship description that indicated I should use python, and I even asked him if he was cool if I used java/pseudocode.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the quip that I immediately thought after “two lines in python” is “and one in Perl” and I suspect I would’ve said it aloud in a bad interview

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

echinopsis posted:

Physical therapist has the same thing but makes like half the salary it's great

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

the quip that I immediately thought after “two lines in python” is “and one in Perl” and I suspect I would’ve said it aloud in a bad interview

Perl was something I picked up because we had a shitload of infrastructure scripts in perl at my first job and it's been something that has haunted me at every job i've had since.

There is always some old guy who coded some stuff in perl that is central to everything and people seem thrilled to have someone who can debug that stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Physical therapist has the same thing but makes like half the salary it's great

certified athletic trainers can do a lot of the same stuff with less training now, right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

pharmd is a doctorate but some schools will admit really good undergrads after 2 years and grant a bachelor’s of some sort with a combined 6 year program

seems like ages

i did 4 years total tertiary education for this bachelor of pharmacy

it’s about the most worthless in the world because trying to get a pharmacist anywhere else requires year+ education to do so

I regret going into pharmacy so much

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

what if you could give kiwis erections by api tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
suppose i do like sex

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

Hey Echi let me cheer you up with a post about my own failings in education and subsequent career:

I'm a trained food scientist with a masters degree in food science and technology with subspecialities (lacking a better word here) in dairy technology and multivariate statistics. Working with food in an industrial setting is dull at best horrifying at worst. The highlights of a day working in a food plant are: Fill out paperwork, control paperwork others have done. Things like temperature variations, quality control and temp control being within spec. Five and a half years of schooling to make sure a food tech put in the right number is to me unappealing. The worst days are things like "a man slipped on the floor (epoxy floor, always wet) and hit himself on a piece of exposed rebar because someone were moving some packing apparatus. Or the time a big honking robot arm decided the pallet it was done stacking was actually empty, causing it to try and stack at the bottom of the pallet, slamming into a full pallet yeeting product in all directions (this was more annoying at the time, but in retrospect an arm capable of flinging a filled euro pallet is a force to be reckoned with). And of course the ever present cleaning fluids either extremely low or high pH at 80 degrees C, steam pipes, boiling water and when you start noticing all these things you can't not notice.

It was luckily dull most of the time. Anyway from there I tried falling back on my statistics abilities, but in my native land of Denmark if you're not a doctor of statistics getting in is difficult (Novo Nordisk is really bad at this, they might as well be doctor driven). Most places I've interviewed with in this regard either want Business Intelligence or are terrible startups who don't know anything but Data Science sounds good and Google has it. The former job basically means making pretty graphs and if your management layer is bad, especially if they're ungood at receiving criticism, it becomes a lot of gnashing of teeth and "that graph can't go down, number go UP!", followed by face meets desk. To me it's terrible demotivating to spend work listening to people talk their data up and go "yeah we're data driven, we rely on data" only to be followed by "is that right? I don't remember us stagnating for the last months". The latter is startups being bad and what they usually need is an entire IT-department.

And now for the cliche: I learned to code. Well, I've been writing lovely MatLab code and awful scripts for excel for a while, but after taking good long look at how I felt about my work, education and prospects I began spending free time learning to code. From there on I had a terrible job in a startup for five months, followed by two years working for the Danish state and now I'm looking towards being a software consultant.

This may not apply to you. If you don't like to code don't do it it will lead to more misery.

Anyway I'll have a coke and a combo meal please.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
startupland is from sunnyvale up to redwood city and san francisco in soma and whereabouts of market. not even burlingame. even seattle and east bay and austin and nyc and la is often more marginal than you would think. there are also like 6 neighborhoods in shenzhen shanghai and beijing (even like, tokyo and seoul and guangzhou and s'pore and hk surprisingly marginal) lollin at denmark

last company i was at octupled resume inflow by going from san mateo, right next to redwood city, to soma. i saw similar results to a company that moved from oakland to palo alto. hilarious. they should bash it all down and build 50 story soulless concrete apartments

(peep that american sv stsrtups location)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 23, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

Hey Echi let me cheer you up with a post about my own failings in education and subsequent career:

I'm a trained food scientist with a masters degree in food science and technology with subspecialities (lacking a better word here) in dairy technology and multivariate statistics. Working with food in an industrial setting is dull at best horrifying at worst. The highlights of a day working in a food plant are: Fill out paperwork, control paperwork others have done. Things like temperature variations, quality control and temp control being within spec. Five and a half years of schooling to make sure a food tech put in the right number is to me unappealing. The worst days are things like "a man slipped on the floor (epoxy floor, always wet) and hit himself on a piece of exposed rebar because someone were moving some packing apparatus. Or the time a big honking robot arm decided the pallet it was done stacking was actually empty, causing it to try and stack at the bottom of the pallet, slamming into a full pallet yeeting product in all directions (this was more annoying at the time, but in retrospect an arm capable of flinging a filled euro pallet is a force to be reckoned with). And of course the ever present cleaning fluids either extremely low or high pH at 80 degrees C, steam pipes, boiling water and when you start noticing all these things you can't not notice.

It was luckily dull most of the time. Anyway from there I tried falling back on my statistics abilities, but in my native land of Denmark if you're not a doctor of statistics getting in is difficult (Novo Nordisk is really bad at this, they might as well be doctor driven). Most places I've interviewed with in this regard either want Business Intelligence or are terrible startups who don't know anything but Data Science sounds good and Google has it. The former job basically means making pretty graphs and if your management layer is bad, especially if they're ungood at receiving criticism, it becomes a lot of gnashing of teeth and "that graph can't go down, number go UP!", followed by face meets desk. To me it's terrible demotivating to spend work listening to people talk their data up and go "yeah we're data driven, we rely on data" only to be followed by "is that right? I don't remember us stagnating for the last months". The latter is startups being bad and what they usually need is an entire IT-department.

And now for the cliche: I learned to code. Well, I've been writing lovely MatLab code and awful scripts for excel for a while, but after taking good long look at how I felt about my work, education and prospects I began spending free time learning to code. From there on I had a terrible job in a startup for five months, followed by two years working for the Danish state and now I'm looking towards being a software consultant.

This may not apply to you. If you don't like to code don't do it it will lead to more misery.

hey thanks for this. interesting read. I mean it, appreciate the time you put into this I laughed once
and good to keep in mind. I like coding. idk if I love it. but I do kind of love computer systems and great user intrefaces

I knew a girl from here in nz she ended up with a phd in chemistry, worked for our local diary people and then went to the US and now I think works for taco bell trying to squeeze more cheese into a taco shell? i dont get it

The other night I was at a training, they're trying to get us to log our methadone dispensings live, its a good idea.
regardless the woman who was leading the training said "I used to be a pharmacist like you guys and then idk how I ended up doing this", which obviously was a lie I bet she applied for the job.

but anyway, its one in a growing field I can see basically on the UX side of this, because health care aint going away and neither is its integration with computer heath systems.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

have you ever thought about making a pop statistics youtube

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

have you ever thought about making a pop statistics youtube

I don't have the temperament to make youtube into bread.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i did liek your story though

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thanks.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Looking for some advice on a potential opportunity.

I left my current job of ~10 years last July and have been at my new company for ~6 months. My old boss (of a couple years) called me asking if I'd be interested in a similar role at his new job (he also left last july, complete coincidence - unrelated reasons).

$newjob has been pretty good to me but for various reasons outside of their and my control I don't envision working for them in 1-3 years. I just feel really weird to entertain the idea after so short a time in my current position.

Do I move forward with testing the waters on the new thing?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
always be casually interviewing, it costs you nothing to have a chat and see what things seem like

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
really the coffee is like 3 bux and you will never pay for your own coffee in one of these so it costs you negative 3 bux, or at least it did in the before times. more if you count the playing hooky from work

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

TheFluff posted:

always be casually interviewing, it costs you nothing to have a chat and see what things seem like

maybe not _always_. Like if you just started a job two months ago, it's probably too soon to job-hop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i mean unless they’re going to pay significantly more figgies

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i started a new job in march and got a promotion in october and the promotion has made me miserable ever since. kinda think i should stick it out until i've been in promoted position for a year before moving tho

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

jesus WEP posted:

i started a new job in march and got a promotion in october and the promotion has made me miserable ever since. kinda think i should stick it out until i've been in promoted position for a year before moving tho
no, life is too short to be miserable at your job

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

the same company doesn't count for short job hopping if thats your fear

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fourwood posted:

no, life is too short to be miserable at your job

🥲

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
maybe I should put "yospos thought leader" on my resume

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

startupland is from sunnyvale up to redwood city and san francisco in soma and whereabouts of market. not even burlingame. even seattle and east bay and austin and nyc and la is often more marginal than you would think. there are also like 6 neighborhoods in shenzhen shanghai and beijing (even like, tokyo and seoul and guangzhou and s'pore and hk surprisingly marginal) lollin at denmark

last company i was at octupled resume inflow by going from san mateo, right next to redwood city, to soma. i saw similar results to a company that moved from oakland to palo alto. hilarious. they should bash it all down and build 50 story soulless concrete apartments

(peep that american sv stsrtups location)

stops before atherton imo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it just takes a break in atherton. some of the biggest tech campuses are farther south in sunnyvale and santa clara

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

maybe I should put "yospos thought leader" on my resume
im the yospos thot leader

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it just takes a break in atherton. some of the biggest tech campuses are farther south in sunnyvale and santa clara

on the way north, i mean. everything between menlo park and SF proper is wasteland

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sure, ill give you that. ditch rwc and atherton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

you make it sound like being slightly further from the tech baubel is a bad thing