Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I've been watching CW's Nancy Drew. It's a guilty pleasure, dumb supernatural mystery soap opera but I was roped into it. It's interesting how much it feels like they were aiming less for "Nancy Drew mysteries but with real ghosts" and more for "Veronica Mars in overly haunted Maine." Also with covid interruptions the first season got cut from 22 episodes to 18, which you can imagine did great things for a season-long arc mystery show.

There are things I find charming and things I find ridiculous about it, but the crazy thing is how season 2 seems to be moving toward a really weird shared universe with the Bobbsey Twins set up as recurring characters and an upcoming Tom Swift backdoor pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cactus posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm going to have to watch this now, I loving love mad-watching terrible sci-fi shows. Especially since I'm under lockdown.

I'm still reeling from getting through the entire season of Utopia Falls last year.

I love trash tv and another life is 100% hot garbage. Feels like there's so much wasted potential with the only real redeeming thing is some good music here and there.

Not as bad as the I-land but I can't wait for season 2

sad question
May 30, 2020

Just finished Giri/Haji on Netflix. Phenomenal show all around. Great mix of yakuza crime story and family drama.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Killer robot posted:

I've been watching CW's Nancy Drew. It's a guilty pleasure, dumb supernatural mystery soap opera but I was roped into it. It's interesting how much it feels like they were aiming less for "Nancy Drew mysteries but with real ghosts" and more for "Veronica Mars in overly haunted Maine." Also with covid interruptions the first season got cut from 22 episodes to 18, which you can imagine did great things for a season-long arc mystery show.

There are things I find charming and things I find ridiculous about it, but the crazy thing is how season 2 seems to be moving toward a really weird shared universe with the Bobbsey Twins set up as recurring characters and an upcoming Tom Swift backdoor pilot.

That's cause they're all Stratemeyer Syndicate properties

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

WhiteHowler posted:

Another Life is absolutely the worst TV show I've watched in many years.

Season one of "Salvation" is worse. From the "Elon Musk, but attractive" male lead to the "Donald Rumsfeld, but attractive, has plenty of time to leave the office and solve mysteries" to the Q is real and good and will help the secret president take back rightful office" you might forget that the premise involves a planet killing asteroid.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

sad question posted:

Just finished Giri/Haji on Netflix. Phenomenal show all around. Great mix of yakuza crime story and family drama.

I saw this last year, it’s great! Phenomenal cast and acting. Only downside is it’s a really bleak show and I needed a comedic chaser after finishing it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Season one of "Salvation" is worse. From the "Elon Musk, but attractive" male lead to the "Donald Rumsfeld, but attractive, has plenty of time to leave the office and solve mysteries" to the Q is real and good and will help the secret president take back rightful office" you might forget that the premise involves a planet killing asteroid.

I must've been half-watching that because I don't remember the Q stuff but yeah it was a pretty unremarkable series.

Wow you guys weren't exaggerating about Another Life! Was the dialogue written by a thirteen year old? It's so cringey and everyone is needlessly confrontational and shouty all the time, to the point of being outright psychotic. I don't think I'll be finishing this one either, but I'll see how far I get. It is a curiously bad bit of tv.

In contrast I've also been binging the Magicians and I feel like that is a much more successful attempt at pulling off the whole "all of my characters are unlikeable toxic pieces of poo poo" style of writing while still keeping them somewhat relatable and interesting to watch.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I envy people who get to watch the Magicians for the first time. Just an amazing transition from "eh, it's on" to "I will die for these mumbly twenty-somethings."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I gave it a try but it far overshot "so bad it's good" and circled back to "no it's actually just bad"

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Once, just once, I want to be watching a show where most of the cast is killed off in the 4th or 5th episode and it doesn't turn out to be just a dream.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

That's cause they're all Stratemeyer Syndicate properties

I mean it makes sense on that level. It just feels weird.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

sad question posted:

I loved this too. I like that it wasn't just fish-out-of-water situations but really felt like good attempts at Japanese crime and brit cop dramas combined into one series, and I remember there being some cool almost fantastical interludes too.

I envy people who get to watch the Magicians for the first time. Just an amazing transition from "eh, it's on" to "I will die for these mumbly twenty-somethings."

When is this supposed to happen? I'm a few eps into S2.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Looten Plunder posted:

"I am Uthred son of Uthred"

I am OOT RED son of OOT RED

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I've been making my way through Portrait Artist of the Year which is just an incredibly cool british competition show where each episode, artists paint portraits of 3 different celebrity/famous sitters/guests. Kind of hard to find, but some seasons are on Youtube. Worth it! It makes me want to paint!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

BetterLekNextTime posted:

When is this supposed to happen? I'm a few eps into S2.

They start really going off the books at the end of season 2 and things are about to pop off. Look for the new tone to really take off once Elliot starts singing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

They start really going off the books at the end of season 2 and things are about to pop off. Look for the new tone to really take off once Elliot starts singing.

Although I fast forwarded through the song because I hate musical numbers presented in that style, it was around mid-season 2 where I started to actually like some of the characters. Mostly Julia and Margot.

Penny can gently caress right off with his constant emo "I'm so above everything you're all doing" poo poo. Gets really old. I'm midway through S3 now and a certain thing happened to that character which I'm hoping starts them on an arc that fixes this.

(No plot spoilers here, just character ones.)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On the back half of season 2 the Quentin and friends show starts morphing into the full ensemble and the show is massively better for it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I'll keep going then.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

I'm midway through S3 now and a certain thing happened to that character which I'm hoping starts them on an arc that fixes this.

Uhh. Don't get your hopes up. Pretty much everything to do with the Underworld Library ends up as a dropped plot point.

Season Four drops a loooot of balls.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 25, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

How would people rank the seasons you think? Curious if 4 is worse than 3 or not.

I think 4 was the worst season of Fargo, but still decent. IMO 3 is slow to get out of the gate but I ended up really enjoying it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

Once, just once, I want to be watching a show where most of the cast is killed off in the 4th or 5th episode and it doesn't turn out to be just a dream.

I only watched the first season or two but The 100 was just killing off major characters constantly when I fell off with it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhh. Don't get your hopes up. Pretty much everything to do with the Underworld Library ends up as a dropped plot point.

Season Four drops a loooot of balls.

Oh well.

Trig Discipline posted:

I only watched the first season or two but The 100 was just killing off major characters constantly when I fell off with it.

Yeah that was one of the better shows for that. I was actually refering to when shows do that thing where there's an extended sequence that takes up anything from a third of an episode to almost the whole episode where they have something catastrophic and unexpected happen that takes out 90+% of the main cast, and the whole time I'm always thinking ok, this is a dream or a holodeck simulation or something, there's no way this just happened for real - and sure enough after a while you get the reveal that none of what you just saw actually happened due to whatever sci-fi conceit. Another life just did it, which prompted me to post about it. Other examples I can think of are Stargate Universe, Star trek Voyager, The Orville... Dark Matter I think did it, probably Stargate, probably Farscape (I can't remember for sure that far back which means they're probably overdue for rewatches) - basically most of the long-ish running sci-fi shows have used this trope. It's annoying because as soon as it twigs that what you're seeing can't be real it sucks all of the tension out of watching because you're just waiting for the fakeout to end, which can sometimes take half an hour or more.

Does a show exist where they've done one of those episodes and the Big Twist is actually no, you're wrong, this actually did happen? The big "it was all a dream/parallel timeline/simulation" reveal is not coming? Yes, you just saw 90% of the main cast die in one random mid-season episode; dead-forever you saw the open-eyed bodies, they're not coming back! Deal with it. I can't think of one and I wouldn't even want to be robbed of the shock of ever watching it by having the answer revealed if such a show exists.

Red Wedding is not what I would consider an example of what I'm talking about but it probably came the closest to giving you the same feeling of shock you would get.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume we're counting out shows that kill large portions of their casts over consecutive episodes, 1-by-1 style, so not Heathers, Van Helsinki, Mr. Robot, etc. ?

Or shows with multiple deaths as part of their season (or series) climax or season opener (e.g. Game Of Thrones, Lost, Defiance)?

Then, the only one that I can think of that gets close is Love My Way, an Australian drama about a divorced couple that shares their kid between their two new families. They kill the kid, randomly, halfway through an episode in the middle of the first season. It doesn't count as an example that kills off many cast members, but it's 20% of the cast, completely unanticipated by the plot of the season or even the episode, and a kid, so I think it counts.

It's a very good show.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Cactus posted:

Oh well.

Yeah that was one of the better shows for that. I was actually refering to when shows do that thing where there's an extended sequence that takes up anything from a third of an episode to almost the whole episode where they have something catastrophic and unexpected happen that takes out 90+% of the main cast, and the whole time I'm always thinking ok, this is a dream or a holodeck simulation or something, there's no way this just happened for real - and sure enough after a while you get the reveal that none of what you just saw actually happened due to whatever sci-fi conceit. Another life just did it, which prompted me to post about it. Other examples I can think of are Stargate Universe, Star trek Voyager, The Orville... Dark Matter I think did it, probably Stargate, probably Farscape (I can't remember for sure that far back which means they're probably overdue for rewatches) - basically most of the long-ish running sci-fi shows have used this trope. It's annoying because as soon as it twigs that what you're seeing can't be real it sucks all of the tension out of watching because you're just waiting for the fakeout to end, which can sometimes take half an hour or more.

Does a show exist where they've done one of those episodes and the Big Twist is actually no, you're wrong, this actually did happen? The big "it was all a dream/parallel timeline/simulation" reveal is not coming? Yes, you just saw 90% of the main cast die in one random mid-season episode; dead-forever you saw the open-eyed bodies, they're not coming back! Deal with it. I can't think of one and I wouldn't even want to be robbed of the shock of ever watching it by having the answer revealed if such a show exists.

Red Wedding is not what I would consider an example of what I'm talking about but it probably came the closest to giving you the same feeling of shock you would get.

One example of this that I thought of while reading this was an episode of the old British cop serial The Bill where one of the officers accidentally triggered a massive explosion at the police station while a going-away party was happening for one staff member who was transferring, and about 7 main characters were killed in a matter of seconds with at least 2 more dying in the hospital 2 episodes later.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I assume we're counting out shows that kill large portions of their casts over consecutive episodes, 1-by-1 style, so not Heathers, Van Helsinki, Mr. Robot, etc. ?

Or shows with multiple deaths as part of their season (or series) climax or season opener (e.g. Game Of Thrones, Lost, Defiance)?

Then, the only one that I can think of that gets close is Love My Way, an Australian drama about a divorced couple that shares their kid between their two new families. They kill the kid, randomly, halfway through an episode in the middle of the first season. It doesn't count as an example that kills off many cast members, but it's 20% of the cast, completely unanticipated by the plot of the season or even the episode, and a kid, so I think it counts.

It's a very good show.

Sounds to me like they had issues with the kid's actor(or more likely their parents) and just chose to get rid of them as soon as they could

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds to me like they had issues with the kid's actor(or more likely their parents) and just chose to get rid of them as soon as they could

Maybe, but I dunno. It completely changed the course of the show, in a way that made it clear that it was an essential beat of the show theywere telling. The show becomes quite an effective show about mourning the loss of a child. Also the kid comes back for a few appearances.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maybe, but I dunno. It completely changed the course of the show, in a way that made it clear that it was an essential beat of the show theywere telling. The show becomes quite an effective show about mourning the loss of a child. Also the kid comes back for a few appearances.

Well I was leaning on the likely Doylist reason they went that path, certainly commendable on their end to make good storytelling out of something that on a lesser show would be a cheesy and tasteless marketing stunt

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Wanted to put together a COVID binge list (in order, starts from March 2020). Only includes stuff I binged, not episodes that come out weekly like the latest season of The Expanse so I just skipped those shows.

Completed:
Letterkenny
Tiger King
Devs
Silicon Valley
The Last Dance
The Haunting of Hill House
The IT Crowd
Greatest Events of World War II In Colour
Narcos: Mexico
The Leftovers
Unbelievable
Indian Matchmaking
Homecoming
The Handmaid's Tale
Watchmen
The Haunting of Bly Manor
The Looming Tower
Code-Switched
Evil
The Queen's Gambit
The Terror (Season 1)
Small Axe
Animaniacs (new series)
The Witcher
Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories
How To with John Wilson
Pretend It's a City
Veep
The Earliest Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage + movie
Eastbound & Down
Deadwood + movie
Godless

Currently binging:
Six Feet Under (on season 1)

On Deck:
Peaky Blinders
The Knick
The Flight Attendant
Avenue 5
30 Coins
Lovecraft Country
Warrior
Succession
Industry

I was also considering adding Justified as I've heard good things. How's the pacing on that show?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
The Drew Carey show, seeing if its everything I remember from the original broadcast. Loved that show, lets see if it aged well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Assuming you haven't seen them, based on your list I think you'll like these:

- Undone
- Upload
- The Great
- The Act
- Search Party
- The Americans
- Halt And Catch Fire
- The Knick
- Jett
- The Good Fight

And any of the TV classic shows, e.g. Deadwood, The Wire, The Sopranos, Girls, etc.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Recently started rewatching Ally McBeal to see if it’s as funny as it was when I was 10. It mostly holds up, although one S1 episode featuring a trans prostitute played by the doctor from Star Trek Discovery has aged like loving milk.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ginny and Georgia is a really fun and clever show.

Only three episodes in, but I'm super hooked and all the characters are very interesting and seem to have some serious depth.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

One example of this that I thought of while reading this was an episode of the old British cop serial The Bill where one of the officers accidentally triggered a massive explosion at the police station while a going-away party was happening for one staff member who was transferring, and about 7 main characters were killed in a matter of seconds with at least 2 more dying in the hospital 2 episodes later.

Holy poo poo I forgot about that. In addition to the explosion and transfers I think a few characters also committed suicide in that same season as well, it was like a hosed up mass exodus. That was right around when I started watching it too :pwn:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cactus posted:

Not with big deaths so much, but to an extent Fringe did something similar with its reality-bending premise. Their format changes about once per season, and they don't look back. Even when main characters try to change things "back", or when you get a different version of the same thing, it never actually returns to a status quo. That's a show I started out not liking at first, but then ended up loving because it made some really bold choices and really rewarded long-time viewers who stuck it out.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Not quite on the same numerical scale of killing characters, but the British soap Emmerdale did a plane crash. It was apparently facing the axe with it's gentle rural plotlines not winning over the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_IrZew437s

Starts at 16min.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 26, 2021

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not quite on the same numerical scale of killing characters, but the British soap Emmerdale did a plane crash. It was apparently facing the axe with it's gentle rural plotlines not winning over the audience.

Starts at 16min.

gently caress this just reminded me of the episode of yet another British programme called Bad Girls where a prisoner trying to escape the prison blew it the gently caress up which trapped a bunch of the prisoners in I think either the library or the chapel of the prison, and over the course of the hour about 5 of the prisoners either burned to death or died from smoke inhalation before firefighters could get to them.

E: https://youtu.be/l56i9GLLQRQ
Skip to 3:40 (the clip cuts off just before the stoned one with the spiky hair burns alive)

HOLY gently caress posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about that. In addition to the explosion and transfers I think a few characters also committed suicide in that same season as well, it was like a hosed up mass exodus. That was right around when I started watching it too :pwn:

I’m gonna say it, you picked an absolutely awful time to start watching that show, because IIRC only a couple episodes before the explosion, an officer they’d only just introduced got knifed in the loving throat while he was putting the moves on a woman he’d pulled over for running a red light and he bled to death on the road in another officer’s arms.

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 26, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Starts at 16min.

Ha yes I was going to mention that, I remember it being literally national news at the time even though I didn't watch the show.

Like, I know the reason why shows pretty much never do the thing I was describing is the reality of actors' seasonal contracts and the amount of money it would take to completely replace the cast just for the sake of a bold story-telling decision, not to mention how risk-averse studio execs are who don't know anything about anything except for the stat sheets from focus groups they stare at all day when they're not in shareholder meetings. So, given that reality that we the audience are all aware of, I wish shows would stop wasting up-to-entire episodes dedicated to a fakeout that we all know is a fakeout from a few minutes in after a critical mass of main cast members have dropped.

Even the magicians did it in the first season but that wasn't so bad because the whole sequence was only about 5 minutes. Still, halfway through it I was waiting for the reveal of how this was all going to be fake it was a "probability spell" and they were casting it to go through the optional scenarios.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A great series for killing off characters was the BBC's Spooks. They killed off one of the main characters in the second ever episode and from then on you really couldn't count on anyone making it to the end of the season. No charatcer or actor was too big named to die.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Just finished binging The Travelers. I really enjoyed it, but it felt like a real throwback. Not in a bad way at all, but it felt like something that could have aired after the X-Files. Probably could have done with less of the story arc though. Felt like it shined more in the one-offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

A great series for killing off characters was the BBC's Spooks. They killed off one of the main characters in the second ever episode and from then on you really couldn't count on anyone making it to the end of the season. No charatcer or actor was too big named to die.

Does someone really count as a main character if they die that early?