Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Wait what's going on? I thought Netflix was doing a ATLA follow on and that the original creators got kicked off the project. Did they go back to Nickodeon and start a new project? How does thst work with the Netflix show?

Oh nevermind, it was live action and is still ongoing...the original creators did get kicked out or voluntarily left though.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wait what's going on? I thought Netflix was doing a ATLA follow on and that the original creators got kicked off the project. Did they go back to Nickodeon and start a new project? How does thst work with the Netflix show?

Oh nevermind, it was love action and is still ongoing...the original creators did get kicked out or voluntarily left though.

The original creators left the project voluntarily if I remember right but I don’t recall exactly why.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think one reason for the Electric Black Guy trope is that the original example, Black Lightning, was influential but got caught in legal-limbo preventing him from showing up in adaptations for decades. So it was easier to just create a new character who wasn't far removed from the original.

Still a less obnoxious trope than "What if Superman was Evil?"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They said creative differences, which fans interpreted as “the Netflix show diverges massively”

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

They said creative differences, which fans interpreted as “the Netflix show diverges massively”

The reason why people are so down on it is because the statement they released basically says "yes leaving means we just wasted the past few years of our lives but it's just not worth it", which is honest but yikes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Regalingualius posted:

Creative differences in movie talk means fired.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Creative differences in movie talk means fired.

Fired because the show was super lovely because Netflix is kind of crap is also pretty bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm super confused, how can they be doing another live-action ATLA movie and have it turn out worse than the first one.

Also, Rugrats coming back? Bring back Peter Chung imo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Data Graham posted:

If only.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm super confused, how can they be doing another live-action ATLA movie and have it turn out worse than the first one.

The Netflix one is apparently a live action ATLA series that we currently know nothing about, what the creators are talking about is working on a separate animated film set in the same universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

I remember someone going into this and the conclusion was that there are basically two characters who are the source for this (Black Lightning and Storm) and most of the early examples are ripoffs of those two (e.g. Black Vulcan). Then I guess it spiraled out of control.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I think one reason for the Electric Black Guy trope is that the original example, Black Lightning, was influential but got caught in legal-limbo preventing him from showing up in adaptations for decades. So it was easier to just create a new character who wasn't far removed from the original.

Still a less obnoxious trope than "What if Superman was Evil?"

Pretty much, it's just one of those relatively benign but funny comic book things that people like to point out.

I still say it's funnier that all Catholic superheroes look like demons, dress like demons, or are demons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Luca trailer tomorrow. If it’s not super queer coded, we riot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.etonline.com/my-little-pony-latest-movie-heads-to-netflix-greenlights-new-series-exclusive-161157

I will be the only one here that watches this.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who on Earth is this for? A grimdark My Little Pony doesn't make sense. Why the hell would I want my kid to watch some grimdark dystopian stuff?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Looking forward to the Invincible cartoon. Remember reading the comics back in the day and it was quote good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o

Switch from fun superheroics to ultraviolence and crushing drama was sort of a spoilery gimmick back when Invincible started but I guess 15 years later everyone knows that series is mostly Dragonball with female-on-male rape and people choking each other with intestines - and The Boys are pretty hot at Amazon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I regret to inform you Luca has been hastily re-edited to now be heterosexual with a strange overdub every time he uses a gendered pronoun to refer to his romantic interest.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

fatherboxx posted:

Switch from fun superheroics to ultraviolence and crushing drama was sort of a spoilery gimmick back when Invincible started but I guess 15 years later everyone knows that series is mostly Dragonball with female-on-male rape and people choking each other with intestines - and The Boys are pretty hot at Amazon.

Invincible is also the series that ended with (to put it in possibly unfair broad strokes) the protagonist becoming the benevolent dictator of a murder-planet-turned-spacecop-planet with huge white man's burden disease where he goes planet to planet "educating and developing" less "enlightened" cultures, accompanied by his loving hot wife who can never grow old, all his differences with anyone in his life (wife, daughter, teammates) are resolved by them agreeing he is the smartest and most correct of all time, or by them dying in violent ways (usually by his hand) although I'm not sure this show will last that long to reach that!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Invincible is also the series that ended with (to put it in possibly unfair broad strokes) the protagonist becoming the benevolent dictator of a murder-planet-turned-spacecop-planet with huge white man's burden disease where he goes planet to planet "educating and developing" less "enlightened" cultures, accompanied by his loving hot wife who can never grow old, all his differences with anyone in his life (wife, daughter, teammates) are resolved by them agreeing he is the smartest and most correct of all time, or by them dying in violent ways (usually by his hand) although I'm not sure this show will last that long to reach that!

Wow, good thing I dropped it around "Freddy Mercury" emperor

Kirkman almost edges out Mark Millar as terrible writer-great businessman of comics

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VinylonUnderground posted:

Who on Earth is this for? A grimdark My Little Pony doesn't make sense. Why the hell would I want my kid to watch some grimdark dystopian stuff?

Where are you getting grimdark dystopia from that

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

i'm the uncannily round 3d animated design based on a 2d design where it makes sense for the characters not to have any angles on them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it looks cute

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I feel like lots of popular children's animation now is set in a very bad or dystopian world. I feel like the 1980s trope of a very happy character in an already very good and conflict free place has been pretty replaced with a positive and happy character in contrast to a background of actually serious issues.

adventure time, steven universe, star vs the forces of evil, gravity fall, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would have thought that well was drained dry by this point anyway, 98% of the fanfiction is total grimdark bullshit.

3D is a weirder choice. The first movie was classic feature-ish 2D and did a pretty good job with aping the 90s Disney look. 3D has always had a connotation of "cheap Gary's Mod gags" in that crowd

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not so sure what's so tonally inappropriate about "Their society is segregated and has lost its magic. They become friends anyway and start changing the world for the better."

Because it's MLP? The previous show had villains get killed and an arc where a bureaucrat is insanely racist against non-ponies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

I would have thought that well was drained dry by this point anyway, 98% of the fanfiction is total grimdark bullshit.

"nobody goes to that club anymore, it's too popular". I feel like there isn't a risk that all the kids have read so much fanfiction they are going to care if a story is popular there. If it's popular with kids there it's probably because they like that sort of story.

Anyway, kids are living in some pretty grim dark times, It's probably not totally a random coincidence that nearly every popular cartoon is of the format of a very positive and happy child interacting with and overcoming a bunch of dark situations in a fairly awful world. Kid's media has always sort of been that anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Taking all the magic out of the setting and have it backslide to segregation seem like bad ideas. It's like an Avatar sequel without bending.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean, the brief doesn't make it sound any darker than any of the stuff they've already done in the last ten years, conceptually. That's part of why the grimdark fans took it and ran with it. So I'm really not surprised at that kind of story idea.

"Racism/segregation based on subspecies" was an episode premise in like the second season

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Taking all the magic out of the setting and have it backslide to segregation seem like bad ideas. It's like an Avatar sequel without bending.

I presume part of the plot involves bringing the magic back.

Now I'm imagining this being Onwars but with ponies.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

The_Doctor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAIBlPVe9s

really like the art direction, nice departure for Pixar

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FoneBone posted:

I am deeply offended, this movie is far too italian

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Im getting very ponyo vibes from this movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FoneBone posted:

Huh, interesting. The previously released description for the film implied one of the boys was a sea monster, and the other was human. Now they both are, and there’s a human girl. I wonder if they’ve changed it up after people kept comparing it to Call Me By Your Name.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is that just scuttlebutt based on impressions or are we like, pretty sure that's actually the case? It'd be pretty disappointing to get compulsory heterosexuality shoved into an otherwise really interesting project like this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Please stop describing this movie as grimdark

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

While you could argue that monsters vs ponies is racist, having a racially segregated ponydom seems really bad.

Part of this is that an older girl at our Daycare is big into MLP and is also Joseph loving Goebbels.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Macaluso posted:

this screenshot is giving me serious ww1984 vibes, but in a bad way

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Just wait till you see the unicorn run some pony through. Or maybe it’ll be like Legends of Tomorrow and she’ll start eating others...starting with their nipples.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Darth TNT posted:

Just wait till you see the unicorn run some pony through.

This (or the threat of it) was a plot point in the very first episode of the recent show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Segre-neigh-tion