Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

First half was great. My emotional response to the ending was "thank god this garbage is over"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

They may have fixed it post launch but man, when I played it at launch, FFXV was half of a good game. All the boy band road trip stuff was great and they really did nail the comradery in the first half of the game, but you can tell pretty much exactly where Square said "Pack this poo poo up, we gotta ship it". Pretty much everything after you get on the boat is a miserable slog and the last three chapters where they take your weapons and give you the Death Ring is probably the worst single experience with gaming that I've not actually just stopped playing in disgust. You can tell they planned originally for the back half to continue on the boy band road trip through the empire, but they just didn't have enough time to finish it so instead you got railroaded (literally) into the ending.

I was so incredibly put off by it when I finally did get to the end that I made it to the Future where you literally just walked to the final boss and I couldn't even be bothered and I uninstalled the game.

I totally agree. As nice-looking as Altissia is, I found it incredibly confusing to navigate. I took the time to do all the side-missions in it, cuz I didn't think I'd go back there easily, which made it worse. Running around trying to find the right gondola or whatever. The story and the game's design takes a turn for the worse after that.

I'm usually fine with games taking a darker turn, but the fact that the nice and pretty world that I was happily exploring turned into a nightmare world full of monsters was a bummer. Then you can't actually explore the world cuz you're literally on rails. The final dungeon is pretty straightforward and is just old enemies in large quantities. The final boss being Ifrit was a neat idea, but it wasn't a challenging or fun battle. So by the time the story ends on a bitter-sweet note, I didn't get to appreciate the self-sacrifice the characters make for the Greater Good. It's just a bummer without the positive qualities that can come with that.

I put in a lot of hours into that game, and most of them were not spent in the final 3rd of the game, so, like I said, I like FFXV, but it really spoiled a lot of potential there. I never went back and played it with the DLC. I've thought about it, but there are good Final Fantasies I haven't played yet.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FFXV is the single most explicit expression of development hell I think I've seen in my life.

I had an okay time exploring it but the combat isn't fun enough to slog through to get to the good bits. Too much of the world is empty space punctuated with unfun battles. When I got to the boat bit my interest died and I fell off the game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The World of Ruin stuff in FFXV was a cool callback to FFVI but the fact that you can't actually explore it is weak for sure

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Launch FF15 was a fun experience where the game runs out of poo poo and literally puts you on rails towards the ending. As in you actually get on a train and from there it’s a linear path to the end. And that last dungeon where you only have that ring as a weapon was a loving slog.

My understanding is that they re-tooled this ending section and the character DLC flesh out various aspects of the game so it’s now a more “complete” game start to finish. I should replay it someday to see all the stuff they ended adding.

They made the ring OP so that section is really easy instead of trying to be survival horror. If that's still too much for you, at every save point during the chapter, it asks if you want to switch to Gladio and Ignis instead, who fight like 4 normal fights and there's no plot.

This was one of the first changes they made to the game, after everyone complained about that chapter so much, and it shows how quickly they did it lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

We can all laugh at FF15's faults but it would be much worse off if Noctis didn't do his little jump every time you walked up to a prompt and hit the button the first time.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Going by the history of previous generations of consoles, what kinds of improvements can we expect to see in the second generation of PS5? How far off is that second generation console anyway, like another a year from now? Two?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

elf help book posted:

They made the ring OP so that section is really easy instead of trying to be survival horror. If that's still too much for you, at every save point during the chapter, it asks if you want to switch to Gladio and Ignis instead, who fight like 4 normal fights and there's no plot.

This was one of the first changes they made to the game, after everyone complained about that chapter so much, and it shows how quickly they did it lol

Even if the death ring is OP, that whole dungeon section is still about three or four times longer than it has any right to be. Circumventing it by just playing the other two chucklefucks through a couple of fights is a bandaid fix more than anything.

Bioshuffle posted:

Going by the history of previous generations of consoles, what kinds of improvements can we expect to see in the second generation of PS5? How far off is that second generation console anyway, like another a year from now? Two?

The Pro / + Version showed up about halfway through the previous cycle, so probably closer to 3 or 4 years.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

The PS4 pro was about 3 years after launch.

I feel like a PS5 pro would be at least that long or even later, given the fact they’re still supply constrained to death and so there are going to be way fewer itchy early adopters looking for their next fix.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My wild guess is that PS5 Pro will let you do 60fps and raytracing at the same time, since all these PS5 titles seem to offer a toggle between the two.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If sony releases a PS5 pro I'm not buying it. I never bought a PS4 pro and it was an excellent financial decision.

Looking at the footage of the upgrade differences... Kind of pathetic for what you pay for. I may be a frame rate edgelord but the value wasn't there for me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KingSlime posted:

If sony releases a PS5 pro I'm not buying it. I never bought a PS4 pro and it was an excellent financial decision

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/giwamasa/status/1364776713280913412

bloodborne producer. seems like a lot of people at sie japan are uh leaving

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

https://twitter.com/giwamasa/status/1364776713280913412

bloodborne producer. seems like a lot of people at sie japan are uh leaving

Oh no that guy complaining that nobody is going to put anime pedo games on PlayStation now because Japan doesn’t have enough PS5s is going to come back for a victory lap

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/sogachin/status/1364470397844869121

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cvnvcnv posted:

In your entire life? Eek, that's a yikes!

Game is incredibly emotionally effective, though, from "Stand By Me" to the relationship of the four main protagonists and them to the supporting cast. There's so, so much about the game that is merely just fine but the story and how the characters move through it is exceptional.

Franchescanado posted:

I was surprised and kinda sad when Ignis becomes blind and went through the first dungeon where he stumbles around the whole time going slow because I didn't realize he'd automatically keep up with me.

That Florence + The Machine cover of Stand By Me does rule. The opening where you have to push the car is still a really great introduction to that world and characters. As monotonous as the combat is, and how weirdly broken the story was, I still have positive memories of it. I would happily play another game that's structured around a road trip with friends.

Yeah, the opening and ending really nail it. The Stand By Me cover paired with how simple the opening sequence is really hits home, it's like the anti-ff7 (ff7 having an iconic opening title and all) but it works so well. I think that cover song might be one of the best usages of licensed music in gaming.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Oh no that guy complaining that nobody is going to put anime pedo games on PlayStation now because Japan doesn’t have enough PS5s is going to come back for a victory lap

A pity that weebshit is dead on the PlayStation which is a good thing imo.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Casnorf posted:

if I want a game where humans are the real monsters ill go to work

wow

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Excited to see if we find out what the PS plus games are for next month!!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I bet the PS5 one is Godfall. There’s only so many PS5 native games and since they’re releasing DLC (and it was a big loving flop because it sucked) I bet they’ll give out the game itself for free on Plus

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

this console generation might finally be the turning point for console vs PC

it was always a no-brainer to pick PC simply for the 60fps experience, but it's looking like a 60fps @ 1080p minimum standard on console is finally, finally here

that being said, PC will probably always be superior for FPS/MMORPG/VR games and streaming (not for lack of mouse/keyboard, since you can use your own peripherals, but because consoles are tied to their respective servers, save for a few exceptions)

anyways my wife and i have absolutely received our money's worth from our digital PS5 already

final note: the PS5 controllers are utterly :blessed:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm finding retail stores finding ways to get in on the scalping action really frustrating.

I just signed up for the newegg random draw for the chance to buy a ps5, but it's $780 before tax for an additional controller, miles moralis, demons souls & the nioh collection. even if I get selected I don't think I'm going to pick it up.
Both Nioh games can be had for $15 without the ps5 upgrades and I don't really care about them, and Miles Morales is a full priced 8hr DLC - I already own the original. if I wanted to spend $800 on a ps5 i'd have got one from ebay already :/

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Oh man I have Some Thoughts about Final Fantasy XV so here goes..

I didn't play the game until two years after release when I got to borrow it from a friend. So by the time I played it I got all the pathes, ect, that supposedly "fixed" it.

Things I liked:

The first half the game where it is a road trip with your bros is great. I wish this was the entire game, it doesn't even need any other story. Just you, and your bro pals, driving around in a fancy car, doing jobs, fighting monsters, camping, cooking, taking pictures, ect. The world is absolutely beautiful, and I would often times just have the car auto-drive itself while panning the camera around, taking in the scenery. The banter between the main characters is also convincing, funny, and heart warming. A+ experience

Things I did not like:

Everything else..

Let's start first with the story. Before I played my friend recommended I watch the anime, and the "Brotherhood" shorts so I could better understand the story. I did. It did not matter, because afaik the game doesn't reference anything to that media.

You start the game, you go on the trip, the king (your father) is overthrown, and the capital city is occupied. Oh no! But then...nothing happens? Life kind of goes on as normal? Aside from enemy robot men ambushing you occasionally, the world is the same as it was before and the main characters don't seem particularly bothered by this troublesome turn of events.

Then you leave the for Altissia and (one of the most beautifully rendered environments on the PS4...which you then barely get to explore) and the story just...goes off the rails. I won't get into, other to say that the girl who is supposedly your big love interest and you are getting married to (and the only female character of note) dies and I had no emotional attachment to this character.

Then the male lead becomes a miserable, depressed mess, the big strong friend starts acting like a huge rear end in a top hat, the nerdy character goes blind, but can still fight? and Prompto Falls off a train and disappears for awhile.

Then you get to the enemy capital city and it's overrun by Daemons and oh wow this should be cool but you get to see none of it and instead run around empty corridors for hours fighting endless waves of monsters with your OP one-trick ring.

Like, the game has just such a split personality and shift in tone it's like whip-lash. You can tell what the developers wanted to do in the second half. As one poster said, the bad guy winning and having a FF6 style World-of-Ruin is a really cool idea. But instead you spend the entire second half on a literal train, or running around endless corridors and by this time the plot nonsensical It's a goddamn miserable experience.

*Edit*

Oh yea the combat. The Real Time battle system is on the surface a great idea, but it becomes really unwieldy when a bunch of enemies are on screen and, more often than not, your main character will take a ton of damage without you knowing. Thankfully, Square managed to refine this system for FF7R and it works pretty flawlessly there. I wish there was an update that imported the combat system from FF7R to FFXV...

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 25, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bioshuffle posted:

by the time it comes out you will be waiting for a psix so like sack up and by sack up i mean get your burlap sack with a dollar sign on it for stealin a system

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I did not like anything about FFXV. Whole game felt like a lovely demo for a much better game

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1365015385486094340

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sony winding down making enjoyable games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol welp

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Things I did not like:

Everything else..

Yeah, it's pretty clear the back half of the game is completely unfinished and they just pushed it out the door anyway because it was in development for like 8 years at that point between all the scraps and redesigns and they needed to just kick that turd out of the door and move the team onto something else.

For what it's worth, if I had to guess there was probably a lot of team overlap between XV and 7R because the latter really was a perfection of the former's combat system, and they didn't have to deal with meandering directionless Nomura Navel Gazing on the plot because they had the framework of the original game's plot to work off of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Big reason why I was a fan of PlayStation in the first place was their support for weird-cool, sometimes expensive games not too many, or not enough people bought. And Japan Studio was a big contributor to that output.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Also Destruction Allstars is $20 when it goes on sale after leaving the free slot on PS Plus lol

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/25/next-on-destruction-allstars-featured-playlists-challenge-series-and-more/

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was sad for a second but then realized Astro Bot is handled by Team Asobi and Everybody's Golf is done by Clap Hanz so all that's left there is uhhh dead franchises.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Is Clap Hanz affected? I just want ps5 Everybody's Golf :cry:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sony you better find someone to make another Astrobot on your next VR so help me god.

e: oh, whew.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I played FFXV at PS5 release, first time playing the game. I spent what seemed like an enormous amount of time running pointless side quests in (what I thought was) the first world area, mostly because the monster hunts were pretty fun and I would pick up other nearby quests along the way.

By the time I left that area, I felt massively overleveled but whatever, I'm ready for the real game now! And then it turned out the rest of the game was like 2 hours of corridors lol.

The entire playthrough took me under 15 hours, the vast majority of which was spent driving around to random pointless side quests. It was decently fun but saying it felt like a demo is right; that game is like 20% of what I would expect in a real FF game or JRPG.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

ZeeBoi posted:

Also Destruction Allstars is $20 when it goes on sale after leaving the free slot on PS Plus lol

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/25/next-on-destruction-allstars-featured-playlists-challenge-series-and-more/

I wonder if the reception would have been warmer in the beginning of the month if that was known?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fridge corn posted:

I still have absolutely zero desire to play TLOU2. I wonder if that will ever change

fridge corn posted:

I did not like anything about FFXV. Whole game felt like a lovely demo for a much better game

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 25, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

all that's left there is uhhh dead franchises.

Plus all the quirky doomed-to-failure franchises that'll now never be. We're not getting getting another Gravity Rush type game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

What’s the last Japan Studio-only game? They usually seem to be a support studio working with someone else, so they may be refocusing to be better at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lmao