Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chicago pizza looks like soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

bay area pizza does generally suck. there are a few places that are adequate, and oddly the chicago-style pizza you can get out here is pretty good. but nobody does a proper new york giant thin slice

there's this little local place called "papa murphy's" that does ny style, would you like their address

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

nobody does a proper new york giant thin slice

patently false

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also ima make a heretical statement and say that the mission burrito is not that great. the whole point of a burrito is that it's self-contained. if you need an aluminum housing to keep it together that totally misses the point AND it still falls apart when you're eating it AND it's too much food for anyone who isn't michael phelps.

they don't make mission burritos in mexico. i trust the mexicans

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pittsburgh has absolutely nothing in common with midwestern cities like Columbus.

they both have a “B” in their name. checkmate.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

also ima make a heretical statement and say that the mission burrito is not that great. the whole point of a burrito is that it's self-contained. if you need an aluminum housing to keep it together that totally misses the point AND it still falls apart when you're eating it AND it's too much food for anyone who isn't michael phelps.

is that the same thing as a wet burrito?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

my dude you are bad at san francisco food

what ruins mission burritos is getting them super but most white folks can't live without avocado and 2 kinds of dairy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the best burrito you've ever had is like a 5 tops in the overall scale of fast food

being proud of "good burritos" is real weird

when a buddy of mine moved from baton rouge to sf, i met up with him when some friends from new orleans came to visit and the first thing outta their mouths was "ok what's good to eat here" thinking that sf was a food destination city like back home lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

when i visit my family in Cleveland and we go do something out in the city they are always telling me about good things that happened 100 years ago like terminal tower and bad things that have happened recently like everyone moving away and that seems pretty Pittsburgh to me

Spoken like a man who's never come to Pittsburgh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mission burritos are proportioned idiotically.

the fillings are good but the aspect ratio is all off.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I fully cop to many faults with the bay area [uncluding the tectonic ones, heh] but if you honestly can't find good food here I wonder how the hell you pick what you eat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

According to New Yorkers, the best pizza in the world is Kotipitsa's Berlusconi.

Which shows how much fucken Americans know about pizza.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when a buddy of mine moved from baton rouge to sf, i met up with him when some friends from new orleans came to visit and the first thing outta their mouths was "ok what's good to eat here" thinking that sf was a food destination city like back home lol
iirc new orleans is one of the last places you can get a good turtle soup

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

iirc new orleans is one of the last places you can get a good turtle soup

gotta have the sherry in it imho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

my dude you are bad at san francisco food

being a Local Food Expert is such a :jerkbag: thing

qirex posted:

I fully cop to many faults with the bay area [uncluding the tectonic ones, heh] but if you honestly can't find good food here I wonder how the hell you pick what you eat

there's shitloads of good food here. mission burritos are a dumb invention and the pizza broadly sucks.

hadn't heard about that place on valencia so i will check it out if i ever get the energy to go down valencia.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

im allergic to the "oh my GOD you HAVE to go to the best [pho/sushirito/mexi-thai/vegan bbq] place in the WOOOOORLD" local recs because 90% of the time i'm waiting two hours for food that isn't good and then I have to lie to my coworker or friend about what I thought about it. i like a little bit of self discovery; occasional duds are fine.

Now i want a big container of HRD katsu. gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will never, ever drink a Philz

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

gotta have the sherry in it imho

does it have to be a certain kind of turtle? like is alligator snapping turtle soup more prestigious?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

If you want the quintessential SF dining experience you have pizza with clam topping and wash it down with fernet.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

c food chat s: please give your favorite bbq sauce recipes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

does it have to be a certain kind of turtle? like is alligator snapping turtle soup more prestigious?
afaik it has to be the big stupid easy to catch kind of sea turtle, because there is little actual edible meat on its frame by weight

e: it's the common snapping turtle which is freshwater lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

“fancier” places put leaves on pizza here it’s weird

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

im allergic to the "oh my GOD you HAVE to go to the best [pho/sushirito/mexi-thai/vegan bbq] place in the WOOOOORLD" local recs because 90% of the time i'm waiting two hours for food that isn't good and then I have to lie to my coworker or friend about what I thought about it. i like a little bit of self discovery; occasional duds are fine.
yeah, trying to find the "best" of anything is a great way to stand in line for overpriced stuff food isn't a god thing to try to minmax

I was more confused by people living here and not knowing about super easy/cheap things like chinese and mexican bakeries or donut shop banh mis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i will never, ever drink a Philz

i will never, ever stand in line for a sandwich or salad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

this but fussy desserts. i did it once for bubble waffle gourmet ice creams in toronto and never again. waste of time

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I used to live a block away from a place in the sunset that had The Best Wings OMG You Have To Try Them but never ever went because there was always a really long wait and screw that.

The actual best food was nan king road but it shut down years ago r.i.p.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

it'd be snapping turtle yeah, that's what's around

chef paul prudhomme doesn't really draw the distinction:

also you'll need turtle bones for the stock

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people will wait in line like 40+ minutes for boba tea at one specific place here because it's the "best" when there's dozens of cheaper ones in actual chinatown 5 minutes away
e:

Fortaleza posted:

The actual best food was nan king road but it shut down years ago r.i.p.
:siren: nanking road is back :siren: I haven't tried it yet but it was clear a shabu shabu place couldn't fly during covid

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

boba youtube youtube

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Census Bureau disagrees.

thats fine, they can be wrong.

Pittsburgh has absolutely nothing in common with midwestern cities like Columbus.

other than that they're both in the midwest and are filled with midwesterners

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

people will wait in line like 40+ minutes for boba tea at one specific place here because it's the "best" when there's dozens of cheaper ones in actual chinatown 5 minutes away

i've noticed this phenomenon too but figured i was just not a boba tea connoisseur.

i stood in line for one once cause it was nearby and i figured it must be good with all these people! then i got in and the entire menu only had four options and they didn't have aloe chunks. what the gently caress. i'll just go to i-Tea

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got boba guys once and it was exactly the same as all the $3 places there are dozens of everywhere

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
there's a banh mi place in calgary that everyone would line up for but the line moved fast and it was legit the best banh mi in calgary (low-ish bar but still)

they didn't sell boba either, just banh mi

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Went to get some salt last week and drove by a Chik-Fil-A and the loving line wrapped around it twice like an @ but longer

Who the gently caress waits in line for an hour for a chain store sandwich

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
late model SUVs with cars full of parents wearing under armour unironically, three angry tow-headed kids (one of which will always be in a karate gi or soccer uniform), and the power of JESUS under the hood.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

and they didn't have aloe chunks. what the gently caress. i'll just go to i-Tea
i will always call it bubble tea but i will always get aloe chunks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had chick fil a once, it wasn't bad but not worth supporting the company and I don't get why people go bananas specifically because the fried chicken is in sandwich form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doesn't every fast food chain have it's own version of the fried chicken sandwich? Lol if you stand in line to eat chick fil a's.