Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Finally got my MT3 /dev/tty set after having it stuck in customs for like two weeks and change, and while it's great, it turns out the spacebar is a bit warped so it gets stuck. I hear you can solve this with heat and weights, and I think I might try putting the spacebar in boiling water. Anyone tried that or have any tips for a better method? This is the woes of a PBT spacebar, I guess.

I'm not an engineer but there are some temperatures for PBT on this page:

HDT is heat deflection temperature and from this page it sounds like they hang a weight from it and put it in an oil bath where they slowly raise the temperature until the plastic starts to bend. The table above has two HDT values: low weight and high weight, low weight is well above boiling temp of water, high weight is well below boiling temp of water.

I can't make any conclusions on this stuff (again not an engineer) but 100 C would probably let you bend the spacebar back into shape, I'd be worried about the stem posts deforming. It's probably easier to complain to the ppl who sent you the caps and ask them to send another spacebar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mewse posted:

I'm not an engineer but there are some temperatures for PBT on this page:

HDT is heat deflection temperature and from this page it sounds like they hang a weight from it and put it in an oil bath where they slowly raise the temperature until the plastic starts to bend. The table above has two HDT values: low weight and high weight, low weight is well above boiling temp of water, high weight is well below boiling temp of water.

I can't make any conclusions on this stuff (again not an engineer) but 100 C would probably let you bend the spacebar back into shape, I'd be worried about the stem posts deforming. It's probably easier to complain to the ppl who sent you the caps and ask them to send another spacebar.

Good info, thanks. Boiling water might be a bit too much then. I got the idea from googling around and seeing a post on /r/mechanicalkeyboards where someone had done that. The other common method people seem to suggest is a hair dryer but I don't actually own a hair dryer.

I considered trying to get a replacement but I ordered from Massdrop which shipped from the US, and all in all it took almost exactly a month for it to get here, customs included. That's why I'm considering unorthodox DIY solutions.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm Canadian and I've stopped ordering from massdrop. I ordered a keyboard kit from them a couple years ago that showed up missing stabilizers, instead of sending me the missing stabilizers they gave me a $10 refund. Absolutely tell them about the warped spacebar.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mewse posted:

I'm Canadian and I've stopped ordering from massdrop. I ordered a keyboard kit from them a couple years ago that showed up missing stabilizers, instead of sending me the missing stabilizers they gave me a $10 refund. Absolutely tell them about the warped spacebar.

Oof. Good tip though, thanks!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

CyberPingu posted:

Btw I'm selling a Moonlander if anyone is interested.

Has kalih box whites but it's hot swappable.

I'm interested - is it still Forums Law that we have to do conversations like this via SA Mart?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm interested - is it still Forums Law that we have to do conversations like this via SA Mart?

Probably. I'll make a thread in a bit for it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also my Ducky One 2 SF came today.

Cleared through customs in a day and didn't need to pay any important charges which is odd for the UK

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

You can sell stuff over PMs or email and nobody can stop you but it’s 100% at your own risk if either side scams or the post office loses the package - mods and admins will just tell you “tough luck, use SA Mart”. A SA Mart thread can be posted after a deal is made in PMs if you want to do it that way too, and leaving a record there that both goons are trustworthy is helpful in any case. That said, I’ve sold model kits to people over PMs here several times and it’s worked out fine every time.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Which other 2 split ortho keebs do you currently use and what did you find better about those CyberPingu?

For me the moonlander seems to still have the same issue with regards to the thumbcluster as the orogonal Ergodox, except you can adjust it slightly. To me it looks like reachability will still be an issue. Is that your experience too or is it notably better?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The NK65 Milkshake Edition I ordered arrived the other day and it's really cute. Gave it to my wife to use as her work keyboard.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Seconding interest in the split keyboard discussion. Still looking for a substitute ergo... anything, really, since the Sculpt was a bust. Probably going to have a hard time getting work to cover anything much more expensive. Need to at least track down something wired already.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

ihatepants posted:

The NK65 Milkshake Edition I ordered arrived the other day and it's really cute. Gave it to my wife to use as her work keyboard.

Milkshake is so pretty and def looks great with that case! :allears:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ihatepants posted:

~snip~

drat that is a cute keyboard. I've been looking to buy another NK65 to give my wife, bummer this one isn't still around I think she would've loved it.

What kind of switches does it use?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

CRAYON posted:

drat that is a cute keyboard. I've been looking to buy another NK65 to give my wife, bummer this one isn't still around I think she would've loved it.

What kind of switches does it use?

They put in recolored NK Silk Yellows, which are probably my favorite linear switches right now anyway.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

dabre_aiamim posted:

So after a couple of keyboards, I’ve found I really like the 65% size. I have a Drop ALT that works wonderfully—except I’d really like Bluetooth.

I’ve been considering the Keychron K6 with hotswap. I don’t know if the aluminum case would be worth the extra cost if I never use the RGB portion. Are there any other keyboards I’m not considering?

Yeah I think the K6 hotswap would be great, my girlfriend uses one and loves it. Swapping between devices is easy but not instantaneous. The Aluminium version is just additional side panels that slide over the existing plastic version making it a few mm wider.
Some of the edge switches are a bit fiddly to get in/out but this probably depends on what switch puller you are using too.

For the price and features it's hard not to go past the K6.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ihatepants posted:

That is cute as hell. Kind of regret not getting one myself!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sorry all I'll respond to ergo keeb stuff in a bit. Wife was just rushed to hospital.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry all I'll respond to ergo keeb stuff in a bit. Wife was just rushed to hospital.

No rush. Hope everything ends up okay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

I hope things work out okay. Stay safe.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

dabre_aiamim posted:

So after a couple of keyboards, I’ve found I really like the 65% size. I have a Drop ALT that works wonderfully—except I’d really like Bluetooth.

General use would be paired with an iPad or a Mac, rarely to a Windows machine, and carried around in a backpack. I’m not too bothered by what switches are available, but the ability to swap them later would be nice. I don’t care about case lighting, and honestly full RGB for keys is unnecessary as well. I’ve used both the ALT and a Anne Pro II and the heavier case of the ALT is nice, so I’d prefer that if possible.

I’ve been considering the Keychron K6 with hotswap. I don’t know if the aluminum case would be worth the extra cost if I never use the RGB portion. Are there any other keyboards I’m not considering?

Check out the IKKI68 Aurora group buy if you have any interest in a polycarbonate case and don't mind waiting. Not crazy expensive, interesting layout, hotswap PCB, and the prototypes sound great. There's a bluetooth version. You'll need to source your own switches, stabs, and caps so it'll probably end up costing around the same amount as an ALT.

feedback loop fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 26, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I got my surface mount switches from Digikey yesterday and managed to fix the Bluetooth switch on my Keychron K8 without issues.
I took the opportunity to also stuff it full of butyl mat and swap the switches. I'm going to see if I can tune the stabilizers tonight to make them at least somewhat usable and if it all works out then I'm gonna bring it to work tomorrow.
Sorry I forgot to take pics.

CyberPingu posted:

Keychron are launching a 60% board "soon"

I don't think I could stand anything smaller than a TKL that doesn't run QMK.

feedback loop posted:

Check out the IKKI68 Aurora group buy if you have any interest in a polycarbonate case and don't mind waiting. Not crazy expensive, interesting layout, hotswap PCB, and the prototypes sound great. There's a bluetooth version. You'll need to source your own switches, stabs, and caps so it'll probably end up costing around the same amount as an ALT.

I think the Ikki68 looks like a hell of a deal. That sure is a lot of parts to assemble though. I only took a pass because I have a couple bluetooth 40% boards coming already and Feb/March has been and continues to be exceptionally brutal on the wallet.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Finally got my MT3 /dev/tty set after having it stuck in customs for like two weeks and change, and while it's great, it turns out the spacebar is a bit warped so it gets stuck. I hear you can solve this with heat and weights, and I think I might try putting the spacebar in boiling water. Anyone tried that or have any tips for a better method? This is the woes of a PBT spacebar, I guess.

You don't even need the weights to fix it. Pressing the spacebar down on a hard flat surface, like your kitchen countertop, while it cools was enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qWET4BUYI

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Was looking for the PC software thread but i'll ask here instead.
Looking for something like Autohotkey, but not.

It seems that too many games these days don't have editing of keybinds.
This can occasionally be skipped with config editing but thats not always an option.
Some have even removed it after a patch for some bizarre reason.
Autohotkey has worked to change key in a few games for me, but also doesnt work in others.
It starts to but then like 10m in it reverts to normal.

Is there any software around that allows me to edit keys, specifically while its running or even better while a specific game is running?
Sharpkeys is not a choice since it changes it permanently and seemingly 1 at a time.
I know there are keyboard specific softwares, but I dont have any of those keyboards.

So do I have any other choices?

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 26, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Batchfile to make the appropriate registry edits before you start and another to reverse it after?

Rebinding keys in windows is a pain.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think the Ikki68 looks like a hell of a deal. That sure is a lot of parts to assemble though. I only took a pass because I have a couple bluetooth 40% boards coming already and Feb/March has been and continues to be exceptionally brutal on the wallet.

I decided to order a charcoal one to replace my NK65 since I wanted something squishier and more muted in color (got in on the og purple run). I'm hoping it lives up to all the promise!

I also ended up joining the GB for the Saka68 and am already feeling buyer's remorse since the FRLTKL/70% Eclipse will apparently be launching its gb soon with a hotswap option. Gonna be an expensive few months until I can start selling off some GB items as they arrive :colbert:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CyberPingu posted:

Hope she'll be ok, take care.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Which other 2 split ortho keebs do you currently use and what did you find better about those CyberPingu?

For me the moonlander seems to still have the same issue with regards to the thumbcluster as the orogonal Ergodox, except you can adjust it slightly. To me it looks like reachability will still be an issue. Is that your experience too or is it notably better?

So I have an ergodox infinity, a redox and a Moonlander.

There's not much between them imo and a lot comes down to tiny things.

The infinity I love because it was the first split board I ever got and was the board that got me into split keebs

The redox I prefer the slightly more compact feel to it, removes some buttons that are not really needed on the board

The Moonlander I bought for the adjustable thumb clusters and it really does help a lot, the extra thumb key works better than the ergodox cluster imo but if you have small hands it might not work as well.

Also might take a few days to get the SA Mart thread up.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks to this thread's suggestions, I got a Niz Plum x87 TKL Bluetooth keyboard. It says it has "Cherry MX compatible PBT keycaps", but is there anything else I should look out for when browsing new keycaps?

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 26, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

.Z. posted:

You don't even need the weights to fix it. Pressing the spacebar down on a hard flat surface, like your kitchen countertop, while it cools was enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qWET4BUYI

Wow I didn't find that one before, that seems easy enough. Worth a shot. Thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm thinking about buying this as a starting point to throwing something together:

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/in-stock/products/practice-65-v2-keyboard-kit

Is this a decent idea, or should I start with a prebuilt and tear it down? I'm generally mechanically inclined although will need to dial in my soldering.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm thinking about buying this as a starting point to throwing something together:

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/in-stock/products/practice-65-v2-keyboard-kit

Is this a decent idea, or should I start with a prebuilt and tear it down? I'm generally mechanically inclined although will need to dial in my soldering.

What are you trying to throw together? Do you want to salvage that board to build something nicer?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

So I have an ergodox infinity, a redox and a Moonlander.

There's not much between them imo and a lot comes down to tiny things.

The infinity I love because it was the first split board I ever got and was the board that got me into split keebs

The redox I prefer the slightly more compact feel to it, removes some buttons that are not really needed on the board

The Moonlander I bought for the adjustable thumb clusters and it really does help a lot, the extra thumb key works better than the ergodox cluster imo but if you have small hands it might not work as well.

Also might take a few days to get the SA Mart thread up.

Appreciate the insights. Moonlander looks fantastic, but ow, that price. I don't imagine you have any recommendations or experience in a lower price band?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

What are you trying to throw together? Do you want to salvage that board to build something nicer?

It's mostly get experience with soldering and building for my own entertainment, not much of a specific goal in mind other than build something up.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's mostly get experience with soldering and building for my own entertainment, not much of a specific goal in mind other than build something up.

Oh it'll be perfectly fine. You can also take a look at aliexpress and see if there's a nicer kit for the same price. Considering you still need switches switches and caps, you may find a more complete and prettier looking kit for just a little bit more in total.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
This kit looks mostly fine, but I think I'd get some adhesive rubber feet for it since it looks like it just rests on screws.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

This kit looks mostly fine, but I think I'd get some adhesive rubber feet for it since it looks like it just rests on screws.

Thanks - I will definitely think about feet or some kind of mat if I go to deploy it.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh it'll be perfectly fine. You can also take a look at aliexpress and see if there's a nicer kit for the same price. Considering you still need switches switches and caps, you may find a more complete and prettier looking kit for just a little bit more in total.

Thanks! I poked around aliexpress but it's of course kind of a nightmare - any know good vendors/models?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Appreciate the insights. Moonlander looks fantastic, but ow, that price. I don't imagine you have any recommendations or experience in a lower price band?

What's your budget?

The Moonlander is definitely on the upper end of the ergodox fork price range tbh.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

What's your budget?

The Moonlander is definitely on the upper end of the ergodox fork price range tbh.

Well, I tried to swing way at the bottom with a Sculpt in the $80 ballpark and that was a complete failure. I'm unlikely to be able to push my workplace's willingness to cover the cost much higher but may be able to chip in some myself. Yeah, I know that's lower than most of the fancy things that get slung around here, but this is also just for me for typing at work, I don't need fancy especially since they'll use "we compensated you for it" as reason to take it away when I leave anyway, even if I pay part.

My standards are pretty low. Let me keep my wrists straight while using both hands to type, don't make the F keys unreachable or awful switches, and keep it hardwired and I'm probably happy. I never learned standard touch typing so I can't comment on any particular split point. FWIW the Sculpt layout was also pretty unpleasant for how distant it put the arrow keys from everything else.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, I tried to swing way at the bottom with a Sculpt in the $80 ballpark and that was a complete failure. I'm unlikely to be able to push my workplace's willingness to cover the cost much higher but may be able to chip in some myself. Yeah, I know that's lower than most of the fancy things that get slung around here, but this is also just for me for typing at work, I don't need fancy especially since they'll use "we compensated you for it" as reason to take it away when I leave anyway, even if I pay part.

My standards are pretty low. Let me keep my wrists straight while using both hands to type, don't make the F keys unreachable or awful switches, and keep it hardwired and I'm probably happy. I never learned standard touch typing so I can't comment on any particular split point. FWIW the Sculpt layout was also pretty unpleasant for how distant it put the arrow keys from everything else.

It might be worth looking at a Kinesis Freestyle (Pro). They're fully split and have mechanical or membrane options (membrane is ~$100, mechanical ~$180). The downsides compared to a more expensive board are that you're limited to Cherry Brown or Red switches, the switches aren't hot-swappable, and it has a standard layout rather than an ortholinear one like you'll see on many of the more expensive ergo keyboards.

I switched to a Moonlander from a standard keyboard a little over a month ago and really like it, but I think that it being fully split has been by far the most important difference for me in terms of ergonomics. The ortholinear layout is :shrug:, but I think I'm still getting used to it. My shoulders bothered me though, not my wrists, so your mileage may vary.

IANAL, but I don't think that's legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

It might be worth looking at a Kinesis Freestyle (Pro). They're fully split and have mechanical or membrane options (membrane is ~$100, mechanical ~$180). The downsides compared to a more expensive board are that you're limited to Cherry Brown or Red switches, the switches aren't hot-swappable, and it has a standard layout rather than an ortholinear one like you'll see on many of the more expensive ergo keyboards.

I switched to a Moonlander from a standard keyboard a little over a month ago and really like it, but I think that it being fully split has been by far the most important difference for me in terms of ergonomics. The ortholinear layout is :shrug:, but I think I'm still getting used to it. My shoulders bothered me though, not my wrists, so your mileage may vary.

IANAL, but I don't think that's legal.

A membrane Freestyle is currently sitting as the backup option. Just have to find one. Rather have mechanical but surprise, poo poo's expensive and a lot of big ticket things are all coming due.

e: went ahead and got one, no addon stuff though.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 27, 2021