Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think Dougherty falls into the "by the numbers" category at all, the look and design of his films are much more cohesive than that, which is why Trick r Treat and Krampus are great holiday films. He packed more Halloween/Christmas per frame than almost any other holiday films I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His monsters have so much personality you know exactly what they’re about without anyone saying anything.

The shot where Rodan smiles devilishly at the jet fighters is amazing. Like maybe the script is rough it parts due to who knows what, but it kills it where it counts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
KotM seems like the sort of movie where the script wasn't locked until the week after the movie came out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I feel like Godzilla '14 feels different because the human element is boring but is also unobtrusive, whereas the human element in KotM keeps trying to be funny and failing so it's actively distracting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Studios need to stop listening to people whining imo.

Ford Brody was a fine protagonist. He should’ve come back. But y’all bitched and moaned.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll go to bat for Brody any day - he was fine as an audience insert and didn't need to be anything more. He's very human and believable. Just in total shell shock once poo poo hits the fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZMKMoPpVAo

KoTM never captured how loving scary this scene was. I've had nightmares like this.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I love the way the human element works in '14. I think that's a lot of the reason for my issues with KOTM, it feels like they "corrected" that stuff in the worst way.

Now, in GvK I'm not sure. Kong can basically be the human element for all I care.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZMKMoPpVAo

KoTM never captured how loving scary this scene was. I've had nightmares like this.

That's such an amazing sequence, it's too bad that it then almost immediately cuts away and nothing happens for like another 20 minutes.

G14 is a good movie but all they had to do was to extend the Hawaiian sequence and trim some of the stuff after to make it a real classic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/scottEmovienerd/status/1365063235649499138?s=20

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's right. 14 is boring for so much of it. The stuff that's there is good but it's anemic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's right. 14 is boring for so much of it. The stuff that's there is good but it's anemic.

Nah.

What's there is great and is the best of the NA kaiju flicks so far.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Vintersorg posted:

Vince MechMahon posted:

These are both true

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CelticPredator posted:

His monsters have so much personality you know exactly what they’re about without anyone saying anything.

The shot where Rodan smiles devilishly at the jet fighters is amazing. Like maybe the script is rough it parts due to who knows what, but it kills it where it counts.

They did a stellar job with all the monster expressions and personality. I feel like that's often lost because of the uneven human bits and pacing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Nah.

Kong Skull Island is a better movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

Kong Skull Island is a better movie.

With this kind of thing, you have two criteria

You have Movie and you have Kaiju Movie

Skull Island is not a good kaiju movie. Kong is great but mostly he gets hosed around with by humans and the skull crawlers are fodder.

Its a great movie, and better in that regard, but it's not as good a kaiju film.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

What is being made that’s even remotely like it now. .

There are hundreds of these all over every streaming service.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Burkion posted:

With this kind of thing, you have two criteria

You have Movie and you have Kaiju Movie

Skull Island is not a good kaiju movie. Kong is great but mostly he gets hosed around with by humans and the skull crawlers are fodder.

Its a great movie, and better in that regard, but it's not as good a kaiju film.
I feel like you can have differing goals for a kaiju movie. In Skull Island Kong is a god in the small pagan sense. Humans can gently caress with him a bit but this is his domain and he will ultimately triumph. Which is a perfectly valid thing for a kaiju movie to do. Even if you also have the other end of the scale where they are a being the humans cannot oppose.

I especially liked the touch that everything besides Kong and the crawlers are heavily camouflaged because with something like Kong rolling around you have to be.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We just want different things. :)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope GvK is either really good or extremely stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There are hundreds of these all over every streaming service.

Besides psycho goreman please name one good one so I can watch it.

Vince MechMahon posted:

14 is enthralling from frame one to me. It’s an all timer for me and I’m so stoked to rewatch it before GvK.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

I hope GvK is either really good or extremely stupid.

I completely agree. Even better: If it is both at the same time.

I'll be honest: I'm looking forward to GvK for sure, but I'm more excited about Singular Point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kong: Skull Island is a fine kaiju movie in the tradition of the original King Kong movie. What's the argument against it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If there is one it’s wrong. It’s a perfect movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the only thing that I can and do say about it is just that Kong really does not have an equal fight.

There's no equivalent to the T-Rex in the movie. The Skull Crawlers are fodder through and through. Even The Big One mostly presents a threat to the humans, rather than Kong himself.

But that's not the point of the film, and if the Big One was a legit threat to Kong, or Kong fought something more equivalent to himself, it'd take away from his showdown with Godzilla.

but also there should have been more dinosaurs goddamnit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Skull Island rules, I don’t care if the humans take center stage over Kong. Sometimes less is more. :colbert:

Also come on, the film gave us John C Reilly and John Goodman. That cast is stacked in character actors alone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Skull Island rules, I don’t care if the humans take center stage over Kong. Sometimes less is more. :colbert:

Also come on, the film gave us John C Reilly and John Goodman. That cast is stacked in character actors alone.

You read what I wrote earlier in the thread right?

I can still have quibbles about a movie even if I think it's great. Especially if those include the movie being a coward about not including dinosaurs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

You read what I wrote earlier in the thread right?

I can still have quibbles about a movie even if I think it's great. Especially if those include the movie being a coward about not including dinosaurs.

Oh that wasn’t a reply to you specifically, just to anyone who doubts that Skull Island is the best of the Legendary series thus far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The end credits scene makes me tear up every time. It’s beautiful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

The end credits scene makes me tear up every time. It’s beautiful.

Got to hang out and watch that baseball game :unsmith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eat a hot dog and drink a cold beer with his son he never met. :unsmith:

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

G14 and Skull Island are both excellent imo. Like if you think about it, they are shockingly good given how bad big budget genre films tend to be these days.

KOTM feels more of a piece with the times. It has flashy but empty spectacle with completely muddled characters and themes, awkward pacing, and perversely unimaginative production design. How is a movie with so much insane poo poo on paper so drab and boring? I didn’t actually hate it, but it was a big letdown.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I assume the lack of dinosaurs in Skull Island was because they knew they were gonna do Kong vs Godzilla so didn't want to get anything too close to that imagery. That and this version of Kong is too big to fight a T Rex, though they could of used Gorosaurus, that would have been quite good.

I've really liked all the Monster verse films so far, but the best set piece from them for me is the Golden Gate attack, it was really tense, visually spectacular in a way that feels increasingly rare when spectacle is so commonplace in blockbuster cinema, and just loving rad in general.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm just gonna go scorched earth here: unless we're counting the original King Kong and Mighty Joe Young, I'm not sure there has been a good American Kaiju movie yet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm just gonna go scorched earth here: unless we're counting the original King Kong and Mighty Joe Young, I'm not sure there has been a good American Kaiju movie yet

Tremors.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hmmmm Tremors feels more to me like a throwback to something like Them! than a Kaiju movie, although that might be splitting hairs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cloverfield 1 was good for the most part.

Monsters was excellent as well - also by Gareth Edwards. Although I am sure most of this thread has seen that.

King Kong Lives. :shobon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pacific Rim?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I couldn't stand Pacific Rim or Cloverfield, but I did think of one other arguable exception: The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. On the one hand, it was one of the key inspirations for Godzilla so if that doesn't count as a kaiju film, what does? And if that counts, you could expand that to a bunch more Ray Harryhausen joints. But on the other hand... I kinda feel like a Kaiju film needs to either feature someone in a big monster suit or at least imitate having someone in a big monster suit and stop-motion of the Ray Harryhausen/Willis O'Brien school feels kinda outside that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

New commercial. Kong on Wandavision?

https://youtu.be/0AsCXYkeVpY