Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a setting somewhere to auto-delete unused Office 365 groups and it owns so much, just set that and wait.

AzureAD/groups/expiration
Can be applied to existing groups as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

duffmensch posted:

I want your users.

When Teams was pushed out to us, there was no marketing, documentation, or anything provided (training was offered about 5 months AFTER the rollout was completed), so the structure in Teams is haphazard at best.

At one point, one of the managers went and created a 1:1 Team (not channels) for each of their staff. I looked, and we have >1,000 teams for an organization of 1,600 people.

I’ve been working for months to clean up the channels and consolidate content into proper Teams while migrating everyone to SPO along with their old on-prem SharePoint sites (since each Team gets its own SharePoint site).

I'm planning on shutting off users abilities to make their own Teams sometime next week or so actually. I'm aware that there are user-created Teams that I'll need to either delete, merge into an IT-Managed Team, or convert into an IT-Managed Team, that cleanup is one of my future projects. We've got maybe 600-800 employees, and I wrote a lot of the initial documentation myself because our trainers had their own critical project that needed to happen. They're now full-steam ahead on M365 training and users are really benefiting from it. I found the best way to make the migration happen was to work with the managers to organize all of their relevant files to on-prem (SMB) Staff/Mgmt/Archive, create the channels, apply the permissions to the SharePoint folders, migrate the data and it merges into those folders. An organized large number of small-team (make sure to standardize your naming convention) three channel solution massively simplifies everything, and you can always create subfolders with specialized permissions if needed. (Eg one that you want admin assistants to access but not the general staff) Plus it really helps with principle of least privilege.

Our users are fantastic though, working for a non-profit rules, people tend to be very easy to work with if you can cut through the politics.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Due to some circumstances beyond my control im forced to do next week's xls work from home on my thinkpad with track pad only and I want to die

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Due to some circumstances beyond my control im forced to do next week's xls work from home on my thinkpad with track pad only and I want to die

Why, is your clit mouse broken??

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

wa27 posted:

Why, is your clit mouse broken??

Just impossible to find

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
one of the PM's i've worked with has two of these. i think they are mostly mapped to jira shortcuts. https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse.910-002864.html

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

Just impossible to find

:perfect:

tactlessbastard posted:

Use a USB mouse.

If you can't because USB ports are disabled, say you can't do the xls work because the trackpad hurts your fingers. It's a legitimate concern.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fart Amplifier posted:

Just impossible to find

Lol

Biowarfare posted:

one of the PM's i've worked with has two of these. i think they are mostly mapped to jira shortcuts. https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse.910-002864.html

It was just enough work to make it miserable but not quite enough work to make it worth breaking quarantine.

Steakandchips posted:

:perfect:

Use a USB mouse.

If you can't because USB ports are disabled, say you can't do the xls work because the trackpad hurts your fingers. It's a legitimate concern.

It didn't hurt, it just was miserably slow

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sixth and maimed posted:

True. I got a mail from the owner yesterday reprimanding for my mails to HR, saying I shouldn't rely on hear-say and to wait for official communication, and that everybody who was regularely in the office had been notified. Oh, and BTW, I've had plenty of time to prepare my hand-over by now and when is it going to happen? It looks like I hit a nerve somewhere.

Suits me, best case I get some free time before I start my other job. :)

Update on this: after asking three times if he (the owner) meant "finishing your employment" with "finishing the hand-over", he finally confirmed at 9AM that yes, after the 2PM meeting I'm out as far as he's concerned. Given the circumstances, I chose to not remind him that next Wednesday is go-live for the telecom project and there will be two engineers on site to switch over all phone and data communication for our three offices. And validate the call escalation scenario's that I set up. He was in copy of the mail I sent out notifying everybody of that, after all.

Oh, and gently caress the sales guy that, after hearing it's my last day, asked if he came into the office "with all due haste" I could take a look at his laptop before I leave?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Did you say no?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sixth and maimed posted:

Update on this: after asking three times if he (the owner) meant "finishing your employment" with "finishing the hand-over", he finally confirmed at 9AM that yes, after the 2PM meeting I'm out as far as he's concerned. Given the circumstances, I chose to not remind him that next Wednesday is go-live for the telecom project and there will be two engineers on site to switch over all phone and data communication for our three offices. And validate the call escalation scenario's that I set up. He was in copy of the mail I sent out notifying everybody of that, after all.

Oh, and gently caress the sales guy that, after hearing it's my last day, asked if he came into the office "with all due haste" I could take a look at his laptop before I leave?

Tell him you'll look at it on Monday.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This probably isn't the root of the Federal Reserve outage yesterday, and I'm sure you can't confirm it if it is. But in my heart of hearts, I know that this is what caused the Fed outage, and I treasure that our paths have intersected in such an obtuse manner.

And if they DID cause the fed outage, hooo boy. Damages will start in the high millions and vindictiveness could bring it into the billions.

I think the only way I caused a Federal Reserve outage would be by means of butterfly effect... I am different continent.

The damage was relatively minor, just annoying because it was obviously avoidable.

They had to stay late for something so karma got them back a bit. I'll be dealing with it formally too so whatever.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

sixth and maimed posted:

It's a shame you just have so much to do before you leave you won't be able to get to that laptop, but I'm sure there's someone in place already who can help them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

sixth and maimed posted:

Given the circumstances, I chose to not remind him that next Wednesday is go-live for the telecom project and there will be two engineers on site to switch over all phone and data communication for our three offices. And validate the call escalation scenario's that I set up. He was in copy of the mail I sent out notifying everybody of that, after all.

eeeexcellent

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
More things that annoy me:

Filling out weekly timesheets. Every Friday as I fill it out, it feels like Office Space: "I'd say in a given week, I probably only do about 15 minutes of real, actual work."

I largely just pull numbers out of my rear end because I definitely don't do 40 hours of real work every week. I know this. The bosses know this. I guess management just needs metrics they can point to and say "Yep, our productive is maxed out".

That being said, I realize this is a good problem to have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They give me percentages to spend on each budget item on my time sheet so I do the math to divide along those values and hit submit. Accuracy not required.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Filling out weekly timesheets. Every Friday as I fill it out, it feels like Office Space: "I'd say in a given week, I probably only do about 15 minutes of real, actual work."

I largely just pull numbers out of my rear end because I definitely don't do 40 hours of real work every week. I know this. The bosses know this. I guess management just needs metrics they can point to and say "Yep, our productive is maxed out".

I've been doing an hour or two of work every week for most of the past year, and my boss knows this... but he still thinks I'm doing a great job, because when poo poo hits the fan I'm prepared to deal with it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hughmoris posted:

We got greedy by filling timesheets in two weeks in advance at one job, but it was a valuable learning experience

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’ve been filling out timesheets for half a decade now, but I also bill my time. If I wasn’t billable and someone asked me to fill out a timesheet I’m not sure what I’d do.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

chin up everything sucks posted:

I've been doing an hour or two of work every week for most of the past year, and my boss knows this... but he still thinks I'm doing a great job, because when poo poo hits the fan I'm prepared to deal with it.

That's kind of where I sit right now. I do good work when there is work to be had but I've wrapped up my last two projects and there isn't a lot of maintenance needed in the meantime. Thank goodness I'm WFH since I started last summer, cause I'd be extremely bored if I were sitting in the office twiddling my thumbs.

Thanks Ants posted:

We got greedy by filling timesheets in two weeks in advance at one job, but it was a valuable learning experience

LOL how did that go down when it was found out?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a couple of times in the past few years i've been asked to keep a timesheet. i'm paid by the hour so it's not that weird of a request, i guess, but every time i studiously submit them for 2-3 weeks with no acknowledgement by anyone who asked me for it, and then i stop because it's a huge pain in the rear end, and nobody seems to care about that either. so it seems like it's not that important

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My customer has no idea how to use teams and I have precisely a bajillion chat things open at any given time. "Was this message I need to find in the channel with x, y and z, the channel with x and y, the channel with x and z or the channel with just x?" is a literal daily question I ask. It's so bad.

Edit: they also made it so I can't use the Teams app or get email on my phone without installing some garbage that gives their IT department root and their byo documentation says I have no expectation of privacy so lol guess you just can't reach me ever unless you call.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 27, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still mad I can't flag a message for follow up in Teams. It makes me feel like I need to stop what I'm doing to deal with it.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tell him you'll look at it on Monday.

I'll told him there's no way I'm doing that on my last day and that since the owner is taking over my responsibilities, he should talk with him. Good luck with that!

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So, I was in and out of the office in about 20 minutes. I've worked there 10 years, we were seated across from each other ffs, and he couldn't even get "nice working with you" over his lips when I said goodbye. gently caress that place! :yotj:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're better off. Congratulations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sixth and maimed posted:

So, I was in and out of the office in about 20 minutes. I've worked there 10 years, we were seated across from each other ffs, and he couldn't even get "nice working with you" over his lips when I said goodbye. gently caress that place! :yotj:

gently caress that nerd. What a waste of flesh.

When someone leaves my team, I make a show of getting them a red, a white, and a champagne, and we pass a (clean and professional looking) card around for well wishing. Even if things were on bad terms, I greet the departing like it's their birthday. Every time it starts the exit interview with a good tone.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

^

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:emptyquote:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When your boss puts a 1-1 in your calendar for Monday morning and your credentials stop working at midnight for some goddamn reason and you know logically there's no way you're being let go because everything is otherwise going great and that would be a completely insane thing to assume from those two pieces of information, but your brain can't help but obsess over it and now it's 3 AM and you can't loving sleep. Hypothetically.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They hypothetically work again so I guess it was just a hypothetical service outage. Thank gently caress I can get some sleep now :pusheen:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

When your boss puts a 1-1 in your calendar for Monday morning and your credentials stop working at midnight for some goddamn reason and you know logically there's no way you're being let go because everything is otherwise going great and that would be a completely insane thing to assume from those two pieces of information, but your brain can't help but obsess over it and now it's 3 AM and you can't loving sleep. Hypothetically.

KillHour posted:

They hypothetically work again so I guess it was just a hypothetical service outage. Thank gently caress I can get some sleep now :pusheen:

gently caress, I'd freak out too!

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks! ATM my rational mind and my emotions are still sending out different signals but I start my new job April 1st so I've got a month to chill and let things settle.

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress that nerd. What a waste of flesh.

When someone leaves my team, I make a show of getting them a red, a white, and a champagne, and we pass a (clean and professional looking) card around for well wishing. Even if things were on bad terms, I greet the departing like it's their birthday. Every time it starts the exit interview with a good tone.

You mean you go about it like adults? :monocle: But yes, this is the first time I leave a job and it goes like this. The other times it was just the awkward "Thank you for your efforts here" and "Good luck in the future" ...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

God drat, that's loving awful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a DNSmadeeasy account

They have 'dns failover', which basically works like so

mail.foobar.com - Primary 10.2.2.2, secondary 10.3.3.3

If they can't reach the primary IP, they change the DNS record to 10.3.3.3

So instead of coming through ISP 1, our incoming traffic comes through ISP 2

In theory it 'works'. But it's annoying because some ISP's hang on to those records longer than others (ignoring TTL apparently), there is a delay when switching over even with short TTL, and troubleshooting gets annoying because of this. We've had people trying to connect to the old IP for a full day after a failover.

Wouldn't have been a huge issue if the failover IP had been correct.

Anyway, what's a better way to do this?

We own an ASN. Should we just get our providers to do BGP?

Can we outsource this to THE CLOUD? Is there some service for x bucks a month that we can point our DNS record to, and it'll send it to whichever IP, transparently?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Go look at CloudFlare and don’t believe anyone if they suggest anything else, their load balancing is easy and Just Works

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-load-balancing-intelligent-failover-with-cloudflare/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A better way to do it is a proper failover proxy, not updating dns records and waiting for the TTL to expire.

Find a company not run by jokers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

God drat, that's loving awful.

This morning my credentials were working on my phone but not my PC or my laptop. Guess something bad happened because the helpdesk guy said I'm the third person complaining about credential issues today. Logins would work when using cached credentials in firefox/chorme, but not if you entered the same exact ones in manually. :psyduck: My account was locked on the backend (probably as a result of entering the "wrong" password too many times) but he was able to reset me directly in AD.

Edit: Yes, I checked, the org chart was updated Saturday and I'm still on it. My heart isn't cut out for this life.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 1, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

amazing how our brains can convince us, unbidden, that everything is about to come crashing down based on no real information. one night i didn’t sleep at all because the director sent me an email the previous afternoon asking me to meet with him first thing in the morning. i instantly assumed i was being laid off and started going through all the possibilities for the coming months regarding the impending birth of my son and how my wife and i would handle childcare if i had to get a job working odd hours like she does, or if the job search didn’t work out, the threshold at which my drain on the family as an unemployed man would outweigh my possible contributions thus justifying offing myself (i was already very depressed for other reasons at the time). anyway it turned out that he had a question about his phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Weedle posted:

amazing how our brains can convince us, unbidden, that everything is about to come crashing down based on no real information. one night i didn’t sleep at all because the director sent me an email the previous afternoon asking me to meet with him first thing in the morning. i instantly assumed i was being laid off and started going through all the possibilities for the coming months regarding the impending birth of my son and how my wife and i would handle childcare if i had to get a job working odd hours like she does, or if the job search didn’t work out, the threshold at which my drain on the family as an unemployed man would outweigh my possible contributions thus justifying offing myself (i was already very depressed for other reasons at the time). anyway it turned out that he had a question about his phone.

This totally happens to me. I don't care how awesome I'm doing at work, I always feel like I'm about to get called on the carpet every time I get a "let's talk" ping from a boss.

In a similar vein poo poo that is pissing me off:

I am so sick of getting meeting invites from people I don't know with helpful titles like "Project Bravo" and no text in the body except for the page and a half of information about how to connect to Chime from Azerbaijan.

Oh cool. So we get to spend the first ten minutes of a thirty minutes on introductions and explanations of what we are all doing at this call.