Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Don’t they have more total wins right now?

1 by ring out
2 by deaths
1 by totally legal and accepted poison
Not a single win because they were just better than their opponent and this is all their wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Carlos: Had the poo poo beaten out of him handily, only won via PURGATORY rules
Falcon: Used poison, sorta, but still the closest thing to an actual victory
Naidan: Let himself get killed by Ryuki (and that was his goal all along), so he won via PURGATORY rules
Alan: Murdered, and ergo won via PURGATORY rules (also the Kure fully expected this to happen*)

*Raian did offer Alan a chance to forfeit (and therefore net the Kengan Association a win) and live, but living is for people who know

Meanwhile, Kengan's wins have been:

Julius: Won fair and square, no techniques* used, only strength
Misasa: Won fair and square in a special arena
Agito: Won fair and square

*Acute muscle control does not count as a technique under Julius's rulebook

Mirror matches were...
Gaolong vs Carlos: Boxing vs Boxing but somewhere along the line it stopped being a mirror match
Julius vs Todo: Strength vs Strength
Misasa vs Yumigahama: Fang vs Fang, more of a status thing than a fighting style thing
Agito vs Lu: Formless vs Formless
Raian vs Alan: Kure vs (Alt-)Wu, both descended from the same clan
Masaki vs Jurota: Judo vs Judo

Only 2 that weren't mirror were Ryuki vs Naidan (who were still connected via the Worm) and Rihito vs Falcon.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rihito vs Falcon are also connected through the common thread of Kuroki (being the teacher of Rihito and the person whom Falcon aspires to beat).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
falcon started his match using a cut-rate ripper before he moved on to more ridiculous gimmicks.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Raws

https://imgur.com/a/zHRoVHN

Lots of words not much :zoro:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

He keeps slamming me into the ground! -Masegta Kengan:abridged

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everyones favourite character makes an appearance

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1222471/1

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Jose posted:

Much clearer chapter now

Masaki clearly has at least some of the pain negation ability of his predecessor, And he is accelerating himself as he gets up and adapts to his opponent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This chapter retroactively makes Carlos a bigger chump

Undefeated champ Carlos: Picks up new martial art from an Amazon book
Undefeated champ Arashiyama: Eliminates a pre-requisite of grappling that everyone else needs to adhere to

Rooting for you Masaki!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

So basically Jurata is already going for the motion of the throw and he just hooks the opponent with the most slight contact. Thus nobody can react to them like a normal throw? So far this is still a good fight, a little wary that he's getting compared to gensai because I remember the last time someone got that.

Also, Masaki's masochism levels are rising. He is getting faster.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Heh, the guy on the first page is based on Teddy Riner, a French gold medalist judoka.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Masaki is about to show us the power of being a pain pig

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

So basically Jurata is already going for the motion of the throw and he just hooks the opponent with the most slight contact. Thus nobody can react to them like a normal throw? So far this is still a good fight, a little wary that he's getting compared to gensai because I remember the last time someone got that.

And then when Masaki starts getting up faster than Jurota can throw him, Jurota reveals the Real Realest Jurota:

Groundwork.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jurata's gimmick is Baki levels of bs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Baki levels of BS? This is a comic where people with black eyes can go supersaiyan because of their genes or whtaver, ripping people in half with their hands and where one german guy has invented superhuman muscle control and is punching people through floors. It's already ridiculous

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Jurata's gimmick is Baki levels of bs

I know, its great! :allears:

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

Baki levels of BS? This is a comic where people with black eyes can go supersaiyan because of their genes or whtaver, ripping people in half with their hands and where one german guy has invented superhuman muscle control and is punching people through floors. It's already ridiculous

Yeah, back in Kengan Ashura you already had:

(a) Inaba's prehensile hair;

(b) Gensai carving concrete into statues with his fingers;

(c) Dr Death carving out his femurs and sticking them into his arms as bone swords, and coming back to life after his vertebrae were snapped;

(d) Daredevil Muteba;

(e) the death row prisoner with the octopus limbs and neck;

(f) Niko deflecting bullets with his fist.

If these don't shake your suspension of disbelief, then the sky should be the limit as far as "acceptable levels of BS" goes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Oh yeah?! Well what if I just strip naked and get real sweatY?! Whatcha gonna do about that mister Spider-Man throws?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Catpetter1981 posted:

(c) Dr Death carving out his femurs and sticking them into his arms as bone swords, and coming back to life after his vertebrae were snapped;

(d) Daredevil Muteba;

If these don't shake your suspension of disbelief, then the sky should be the limit as far as "acceptable levels of BS" goes.

i do like how the series has all of this and yet a former pro boxer is on par or better than a lot of it

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Catpetter1981 posted:

(d) Daredevil Muteba;

Sure, Ashura had a healthy dose of ridiculous poo poo, Omega has been tamer (my boy Raian aside) so far on that regard, although I'm fairly sure that's because the most colorfoul character have not appeared until now.

Not complaining by the way, I like Baki stuff, it's just that the Koga arc has been pretty low powered compared to previous stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, I just had a flashback and Jurata's throwing technique kinda reminds me about a ridiculous throwing technique of one of the masters in History's Mightiest Discipline Kenichi.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 25, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who was the last guy that got compared to Gensai? I don't remember that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Caidin posted:

Oh yeah?! Well what if I just strip naked and get real sweatY?! Whatcha gonna do about that mister Spider-Man throws?!

Original Masaki was still able to throw Muteba

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who was the last guy that got compared to Gensai? I don't remember that.

Carlos. Ohma noted after the flashback that Carlos like Gensai had gotten to the point where he was so strong he was "lonely". Incidentally

Artelier posted:

This chapter retroactively makes Carlos a bigger chump

Undefeated champ Carlos: Picks up new martial art from an Amazon book
Undefeated champ Arashiyama: Eliminates a pre-requisite of grappling that everyone else needs to adhere to

This is absolutely the correct read on the fight and it makes it even more frustrating that the original concept for Carlos got dropped because "It made him too strong". It would actually be interesting if Purgatory had managed to pick up a bunch of public fighters that had left the scene to take their skills to the next level. Even Koga's uncle Joji did the same thing and he was apparently a monster karatake even before he went full hermit.

I am however rooting against Masaki on this one. I just want both fighters to have a good showing no matter who wins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd prefer that the guy with Strong Fundamentals won. however, all the hype make him increasingly less likely to win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd like to see kogas uncle fight even if it's not going to happen

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd prefer that the guy with Strong Fundamentals won. however, all the hype make him increasingly less likely to win.

The dream outcome of this match is for Jurota to win just so we can be reminded that in kengan, strong fundamentals trumps gimmicks. Please let this man actually be the 2nd coming of Gensai but for throws + groundwork instead of strikes + parry defense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hayami's gonna frame cancel himself and dodge Jurota's grabs.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carlos. Ohma noted after the flashback that Carlos like Gensai had gotten to the point where he was so strong he was "lonely". Incidentally

This is absolutely the correct read on the fight and it makes it even more frustrating that the original concept for Carlos got dropped because "It made him too strong". It would actually be interesting if Purgatory had managed to pick up a bunch of public fighters that had left the scene to take their skills to the next level. Even Koga's uncle Joji did the same thing and he was apparently a monster karatake even before he went full hermit.

I am however rooting against Masaki on this one. I just want both fighters to have a good showing no matter who wins.

Wait what was Carlos’ original concept?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Wait what was Carlos’ original concept?

link
He was supposed to just straight up be better than Gaolang at boxing and "on a whole other level" and the original fight was changed because Sandrovich thought he made the man too strong. Which is interesting because we now have a judoka that can flip a person with just a touch faster than people with the fist eye can appreciate.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

just dont see what Hayami can pull out to beat this guy sorry

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

frajaq posted:

just dont see what Hayami can pull out to beat this guy sorry

Yeah at most I can only see this turning out like Gaolang vs. Kaneda.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean if Masaki has the same deal as Meguro, then literally the only way to get him stop fighting would be to kill him and that would give Kengan Association the win, so.... :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

link
He was supposed to just straight up be better than Gaolang at boxing and "on a whole other level" and the original fight was changed because Sandrovich thought he made the man too strong. Which is interesting because we now have a judoka that can flip a person with just a touch faster than people with the fist eye can appreciate.

The powercreep...smh

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean if Masaki has the same deal as Meguro, then literally the only way to get him stop fighting would be to kill him and that would give Kengan Association the win, so.... :v:

Or just make him physically incapable of getting up.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is it just me or does this motion-free "swing" throw seem kind of... not as offensively oriented as it could be? Sure, it helps you toss a guy without room for getting grappled with, but it seems like he's sending them spinning with their own momentum more than anything, so unless someone is charging in at full force the damage seems kinda mitigated. Not to mention it doesn't do too much to offset ukemi.

I'm no expert on grappling in general and how judo works in particular, but it really strikes me as a high level sport move VS a way to smash someone up so they can't fight back. It definitely doesn't seem as spicy as other ur-techniques like the Devil lance, Gaolong's jabs, etc

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think we're only seeing lvl 1 of apex Judo. This guy has just been throwing Meguro and then waiting for the 10 count while giving him the cold stare, probably waiting to see if he's right about whatever suspicions he has regarding Masaki and "Boy M". Plus, Hayami isn't doing anything that warrants more than just this swing throw.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm wondering if something about the earbuds prevents him from going psycho, possibly through some sort of pseudoscience with brain vibrations. They think he's shaken up because he's hurt, because he's actually started to go insane.

It might be that he's some sort of sociopath, what with the ability to easily manipulate people and make everyone think positively about him. I hope not, though, since that would basically be a completely different issue than his twin had (which was just "he gets off on pain and killing people."

At the very least, I have a strong feeling he shares the "gets euphoria from pain" thing, even if he doesn't have the whole "likes killing people" thing going on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even relatively light throws still slam a person against the ground with the force of their entire body weight. it's not as overtly destructive as some of the dumb poo poo that happens in ka, but he keeps doing it over and over without being touched.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wondering if something about the earbuds prevents him from going psycho, possibly through some sort of pseudoscience with brain vibrations. They think he's shaken up because he's hurt, because he's actually started to go insane.

It might be that he's some sort of sociopath, what with the ability to easily manipulate people and make everyone think positively about him. I hope not, though, since that would basically be a completely different issue than his twin had (which was just "he gets off on pain and killing people."

At the very least, I have a strong feeling he shares the "gets euphoria from pain" thing, even if he doesn't have the whole "likes killing people" thing going on.

Yeah I hope he’s a legitimately good person who just goes nuts from pain in combat. Making him secretly evil seems too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It would be a fun twist if Meguro totally has a counter for this dude, but is just taking these hits on purpose because pain literally feels good for him. Instead of being impossible to stop without killing, he has to overcome the fact that he wants the fight to keep going as long as possible.