Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's up with O'Neill Cylinders?
Yes!
No.
View Results

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The other side is up. Am I right? I mean they're rotating, just like this subforum. Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Please do not drop an O'Neil Cylinder onto Australia, tia.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

If I had a pogostick and lived on an O'neill cylinder I would jump really hard upwards to get to work faster

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm the guy that managed to get stuck floating in the middle, screaming for help, or at least for somebody to throw me a bottle of water because I've been up here for two days.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm the guy that managed to get stuck floating in the middle, screaming for help, or at least for somebody to throw me a bottle of water because I've been up here for two days.

Put your head between your knees so you can barf and poop in the same direction, that should get you back on the ground somewhere or another.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYKGOBTTig

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Owns

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Space habitats are cool and good.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Uh, no Peg.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Please do not drop an O'Neil Cylinder onto Australia, tia.

It is still for a free Side 3 so, worth it.

O'Neill Cylinders are one of those things that are just legit cool and whenever I do like a trad game I ran, I always try to introduce those things into the games because how I like how they look.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Thinking about it makes me throw up.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

theyre insanely badass, op

I'd love to live in one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Honky Dong Country posted:

Turn your head to the left and suck up a bunch of air then turn your head to the right and blow it all out. Repeat until still stuck but now spinning uncontrollably

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

theyre insanely badass, op

I'd love to live in one.

Would you like to live in my segmented 0.5g ringworld, each of which is a 0.5g O'Neill cylinder?? It's 1g at the bottom but spins until you get to 0g at the top, because gently caress you that's why!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

eXXon posted:

Would you like to live in my segmented 0.5g ringworld, each of which is a 0.5g O'Neill cylinder?? It's 1g at the bottom but spins until you get to 0g at the top, because gently caress you that's why!

A ringworld but the habitable section faces out, and the sunlight comes off a mirror shaped like my gigantic face, so the apes that evolve from the original settlement see me as a god.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
For real I'm super interested in space habs since gravity wells are for NERDS and PEOPLE WHO DON'T gently caress

Look at this guy's cool as gently caress concept art of 150 and 500 meter space habs: https://spacehabs.com/galleries/

e: poo poo like this is possible with 1960's materials science, you don't need graphene hypertubes or whatever the gently caress either. It's just a matter of getting up there and digging the regolith/ores you need out of space rocks or the moon

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tighclops posted:

For real I'm super interested in space habs since gravity wells are for NERDS and PEOPLE WHO DON'T gently caress

If you're that enthusiastic, some artists made drawings of space habitats proposed in a 1975 NASA-funded study, and some guy wrote a book about it too. You'd figure they'd be on NASA's website somewhere too but I couldn't find them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tighclops posted:

Look at this guy's cool as gently caress concept art of 150 and 500 meter space habs: https://spacehabs.com/galleries/

e: poo poo like this is possible with 1960's materials science, you don't need graphene hypertubes or whatever the gently caress either. It's just a matter of getting up there and digging the regolith/ores you need out of space rocks or the moon

Right this is why I think a mars colony is a dumb idea at this point, especially my hunch is that martian gravity isn't enough for human bones.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lawman 0 posted:

Right this is why I think a mars colony is a dumb idea at this point, especially my hunch is that martian gravity isn't enough for human bones.

Even if Martian gravity doesn’t cause some sort of big systemic problem where Martians live for half as long because it turns out the lower gravity hurts the tone of the cardiac muscle or something like that, it will pretty much definitely be impossible to stay “earth buffed” and Martians will be unable to return to earth without at absolute least getting horrifically ill for a few weeks from the gravity change. This functionally creates a second and arguably lower class of human since you know Terrans could go hang out on Mars for a bit and be fine but Martians going to Terra would be hosed

We could just not but people seem real eager to run down this pathway that will objectively harm a ton of people for no reason and create massive social strife

Orbhabs now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea is that some gravity is better than no gravity and also there have been a lot of developments with using drugs to make mice permabuff on orbit on the ISS so I think the lower gravity will be less of an issue in time

But yeah orbhabs are superior for a number of reasons not the least of which you can line the walls where the gravity is too weak to be usable for humans with weed and get giant null grav nugs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

but Why

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tighclops posted:

I think the idea is that some gravity is better than no gravity and also there have been a lot of developments with using drugs to make mice permabuff on orbit on the ISS so I think the lower gravity will be less of an issue in time

But yeah orbhabs are superior for a number of reasons not the least of which you can line the walls where the gravity is too weak to be usable for humans with weed and get giant null grav nugs
O'Neil cylinders have as much gravity (well, centrifugal force) as you like. You can even have floors higher up with less gravity for your lovely Mars visitors

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 25, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why would I want to make life easy for those fascist assholes when I can grow space weed though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So you can get high then climb up to their lovely Mars floors and taunt them by jumping around like superman. What they gonna do, shatter their lovely bones on your glistening 1G pecs?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

it's also way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way loving easier to build a bunch of big orbital or lagrange habitats and stuff them full of perfect clean atmosphere and parks and living spaces and make a bunch of redundant safety systems etc. etc. etc than try and terraform an entire goddamn planet

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

live in space and give earth back to mother nature, just imo

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Lawman 0 posted:

The martian gravity would be good for your hunch.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it's also way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way loving easier to build a bunch of big orbital or lagrange habitats and stuff them full of perfect clean atmosphere and parks and living spaces and make a bunch of redundant safety systems etc. etc. etc than try and terraform an entire goddamn planet

It still begs the question of why. It's never gonna be self sustaining, it has literally no resources available except for too much sunlight. It's at best a solution in search of a problem, but really it's just a million problems dressed up as a solution

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bloody posted:

It still begs the question of why. It's never gonna be self sustaining, it has literally no resources available except for too much sunlight. It's at best a solution in search of a problem, but really it's just a million problems dressed up as a solution

sort of. if you think about human society in deep time, at least as deep time that civilizations are capable of traversing, you have functionally infinite space, nigh infinite resources, no need to worry about pollution, no need to worry about otherwise loving up your habitat, etc. as far as being self-sustaining, if you figured out a power source, it seems like you could eventually build or synthesize most of what you need from what's out in the system.

it seems like we're eventually going to stop populating the planet, but if it came down to it, space offers, well, a lot of...space.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

It's never gonna

get a load of this fuckin time traveller over here

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Bloody posted:

why? hang out near the asteroid belt (or, better yet, build your habs in asteroids) and you can have all the water and raw materials you could ever want. "too much sunlight" just means that you've got free, clean energy blasted at you 24/7. It could be as self sustaining as any modern human civilization is now.

there's no reason or ability for us, today, in 2021 to think about orbital habitats seriously, but if humanity is going to exist for any reasonable length of time getting the hell off of earth and into environments that we can build and customize to suit us is -- if nothing else -- the environmentally responsible thing to do.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
We should disassemble earth for at least a trillionfold more living space in the form of o'niel cylinders. All those materials going to waste.

but first disassemble mercury, venus, and mars to make the dyson swarm to power all of it.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 25, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I mean eventually, yeah. It's gonna eventually get burned to a crisp anyway.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you have infinite time and capabilities why gently caress around with oneill cylinders instead of a dyson sphere

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

a civilization like ours could reasonably start building oneill cylinders/other permanent space habitation within a hundred years and transition to mostly living in those in a few hundred or thousand. maybe much sooner if we actually had our poo poo together. we're still a long, long way off from any kind of dyson anything, if they're ultimately even possible. oneill cylinders are technically possible today with mundane science and known materials.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Technically wouldn't we start with a bernal sphere

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tighclops posted:

Technically wouldn't we start with a bernal sphere

I mean it would be just be pretty neat to have a decently sized space station that doesn't turn our astronauts bones and eyes to Jello.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1173473782901682176
*squinting extremely hard* I guess this is almost reasonable?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

First commercial space hotel expected to open by 2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:sigh: