Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

"Congratulations on doing such a stellar job! What's that? Give you a raise? Nope! Lemme give you a medal of participation instead~"

It's seriously uncomfortable how this mermaid's body was permanently transformed against her will and her so-called best friend and husband act like she should just accept it. She's seriously upset and has trouble functioning and they can't be assed to help her or show some sympathy.

Some Guy TT posted:

How old is Lindesfarne supposed to be? The older strips give the impression they're about the same age, but in the newer ones she seems a lot older. Although now that I think about it, maybe she was always supposed to be a lot older than Rudy. I don't recall ever having seen her gone to school. I also don't recall her ever mentioning what her job is. And now the vagueness is irritating me, because she shows up about as often as Rudy does so it's weird that the context of her social life isn't as obvious as his is.

Thanks for reminding me of K&K from a few months back where Holbrook wasted a solid week or two of strips of people wishing Lindesfarne a happy birthday. And he didn't use his actual characters, but OCs from people who were paying Patronbucks on his website. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (October 7, 1989)

I found the original publication dates for individual pages and because Mämmilä runs in real time, the dates might help with the flow a bit. That said, you might note that sometimes the dates will jump back and forth; that's because for some pages the order was changed for the albums.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Whew, finally caught up on this thread after falling behind.

I just want to point out that this is more or less how it goes in the book. The wizard pours out a saucer of something that "burns like fire," tells the lion it's liquid courage, and has him drink it. That's the joke.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If he's going this far into this he could at least provide recipes.

Rex Morgan just derails into a diabetic-friendly version of that cooking comic strip where the recipes seemed decent and the art was horrible.

Also I badly misread that as "mini-corn frittatas" and not mini frittatas with corn, so I was imagining a frittata with whole baby corns just hanging out in the mix

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man, Axa is way more naked in this storyline than the previous ones, usually she at least has the loincloth but this arc it's just constant full nude.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 18, 1951)

"Sigh, remember those wonderful days when women were completely dependent on men?" God I hate this comic.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Background noise though really fucks up my ability to understand speech.

I worked at a factory for a while and a guy was talking to me on the floor, and I asked him to repeat something he said twice, and eventually I just kinda smiled and nodded because I still couldn't understand him and thought asking a third time would be too much. I don't know if that was an appropriate response to what he said but it was all I could do.

SubNat posted:

Club life in Moominvalley

That first strip...Moomin, you need to learn a little thing called "phrasing."

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Sigh, remember those wonderful days when women were completely dependent on men?" God I hate this comic.

I feel like Those Were The Days is not actually one-sidedly about how things used to be better, unless it actually believes that so hard that it is indistinguishable from satire. I mean the guy in the first panel doesn't seem too happy about having to drive his daughter around.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 4-5, 1933)

Peanuts (February 27-28, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Whoopie Pie Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 25 and 27, 1937)

Out Our Way (March 5-7, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (April 6-8, 1917 (unless your paper reshuffled them, which all my references did))

And just to confuse things further, some editors decided they could write a caption better than our friend Mr. Fox could.

(the Richmond, VA version)

Dok's "Oh Yeah? Well, Your Cow Told Me You've Got Cold Hands, Buddy!" Duck (June 23, 1913)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The other day, someone asked why Caspar Milquetoast would do something dangerous like drive in a flood. The answer is that, for all Caspar is terrified of physical danger, he's far more terrified of social awkwardness.

That leads us to this installment of The Timid Soul, published April 4, 1932.

In a ghastly coincidence, exactly one year after this strip was published, the dirigible USS Akron crashed in a storm, killing 73 of the 76 people on board. It was the worst airship accident to date.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

9 Whoopie Pie Lane

Christ, don't nobody tell her what they are called in western Pennsylvania:

https://www.visitjohnstownpa.com/jan-25-2020/national-gob-day

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

:mad:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I laughed, Linton.

:itwaspoo:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What's the deal with the "People with a Shared Past" title that's been appearing on what are just regular every day 9 Chickweed Lane comics?

Bogor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

What's the deal with the "People with a Shared Past" title that's been appearing on what are just regular every day 9 Chickweed Lane comics?

And appearing BADLY

You can (And should) say that Brooke is terrible but he has always at least cared about composition

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with that

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LazyQ posted:

I found the original publication dates for individual pages and because Mämmilä runs in real time, the dates might help with the flow a bit. That said, you might note that sometimes the dates will jump back and forth; that's because for some pages the order was changed for the albums.

anjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

LazyQ posted:

absolutely determined to not let this kid get raised by anybody :smith:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He'll get raised at the lathe he will one day inherit.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 12, 1943)

There is no ethical consumption under feudalism

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 26, 2021

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

This is wonderfully meta! The girl in the newspaper picture is Colleen Moore, who played Ella Cinders in the 1926 film adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WlowTI6Arc

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

And just to confuse things further, some editors decided they could write a caption better than our friend Mr. Fox could.

(the Richmond, VA version)
I think you posted this one before with that caption.

I'm not complaining at all--I know you're putting a lot into getting these and organizing them--it just looks very familiar.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That last panel is almost as low-key horny as Arlo & Janis

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Howard Beale posted:

This is wonderfully meta! The girl in the newspaper picture is Colleen Moore, who played Ella Cinders in the 1926 film adaptation.

I was going to ask! That's neat.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 14thm 1940

Edit: Look at that door in panel 1.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man, Axa is way more naked in this storyline than the previous ones, usually she at least has the loincloth but this arc it's just constant full nude.

I know, right? I think it's because she spent most of the last one clothed and Romero got antsy.

Axa

We'll see how long this period of being clothed lasts.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1989)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

That last panel is almost as low-key horny as Arlo & Janis

Nothing lowkey about the placement of that faucet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 12, 1943)

There is no ethical consumption under feudalism

This is surprisingly nuanced for an adventure comic from the 40s

Old School Peanuts (Jul 9, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 10-11, 1989)

Me reading that as Calvin's dad: "drat, my son is completely insane but also incredibly good at poetry for his age."

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 29, 2019)

(May 1, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

readingatwork posted:

This is surprisingly nuanced for an adventure comic from the 40s

And the artwork is just...stunning.

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby

(May 1, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

I am saving this one for August!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (March 22, 1951)

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (May 3, 1951)

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (May 24, 1951)

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 21, 1951)

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (August 16, 1951)

This comic is so lovely, curmudgeonly, and predictable, that I think I'm hooked on it precisely for the strips like these where it bucks expectations in some way or another.

Also I hate to say it but I think Mopsy lost something when it changed format :(

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Those Were the Days is absolutely terrible.
I'll never stop posting it.

And He Did! (March 13, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 21, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 7, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 2, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 2, 1935)

Dark Laughter (December 27, 1941)

“Now Pluto you stop beatin’ your Uncle Bootsie with the present he give you. Go outside and beat somebody who aint give you nothin’.”

Mopsy Sunday (September 28, 1947)

Those Were the Days (October 25, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 24, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 24, 1965)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (May 24, 1965)

His gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is once again oddly relevant.

Working Daze is comfortable where it is.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is bad at its job.

(alternate joke I couldn't finish: something something Norma Desmond)

Cul De Sac lets the punishment fit the crime.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 25, 1951)

Oh that wacky capitalism and its exploitation of the proletariat!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1999)

what i wouldn't give to go back to a movie theater and pay $13 for a popcorn and drink, dude

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1951-54

Pretty sue this is a republish - I don't care; it's a classic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I can't believe I'm asking this, but how does Trapeze Doofus walk down a hall while hanging from a trapeze?

"Safe? With a THIEF?"

Jesus gently caress, Bernice. That happened ages ago. The university dealt with it to their satisfaction. Everybody's moved on, except you. It's not like it was your TV. And you're not RA anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1951-54

Pretty sue this is a republish - I don't care; it's a classic.

I've been eagerly waiting for this one. It's weird, it's not like it's hard to find, but it's always fun when they get posted.