Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i've had this image saved since like, 2014

Every time I think of Bullfrog I think of Magic Carpet and get a little sad inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
VIDEOGAMES.MEMEBASE.COM

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeah.....that comic needs to be updated showing Bioware shooting themselves in the head. By all reports EA gave them wayyyyyyy to much freedom.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Comic should be updated to be EA in a coma with Bioware leading all its IP's to a mass grave.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Also known as "that Bioware magic".

also now known as cdpr magic :byoscience:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365005940739743745?s=19

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I remember this story from a few years back, or inklings of it. A bunch of senior DA4 developers left mid-project after the publisher asked for a major retool, iirc?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Basically every ME3, Andromeda, and Anthem post-mortem indicate that Bioware has always been deeply incompetent.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In the case of DA4 I'm pretty sure EA is the culprit. As mentioned in this article and Schreier's previous article on the subject in 2019, in 2017 they moved the DA4 development team onto Anthem to stop the bleeding, and at the same time made them scrap all their single player RPG progress in order to retool DA4 as a multiplayer game-as-a-service.

Like, it's a cascade failure, because prior to that the DA4 team had also had to help the Andromeda rookie branch finish that game, and if Anthem and Andromeda hadn't had such troubled development cycles, DA4's original development might have been completed without issue. But EA's desire to turn out service games with eternal microtransactions was definitely a factor too.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, after the game-as-a-service mandate came down from EA, several Dragon Age legacy developers who've worked on the franchise since Origins resigned. The studio was clearly not happy with the decision and that at least wasn't a self-inflicted wound.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Funky Valentine posted:

Basically every ME3, Andromeda, and Anthem post-mortem indicate that Bioware has always been deeply incompetent.

Bioware is a living breathing (for now) argument as to why game developers need a publisher to ride them. Without EA showing up to say "MAKE A loving GAME!" they probably wouldn't have ever even finished Andromeda.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

EA.......gamers thank u

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
also lol I'm sure that there won't be any adverse effects from going single player -> reboot for heavy multiplayer focus -> single player

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EA threatens fans with more Bioware games.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
ME3 proved that Bioware could make an absolutely amazing "games as service" model and brought in a ton of money and that people loved, to the point where now its "where's the MP" for the legendary edition.

The constant shift back and forth is not really as much to blame EA for as Bioware for completely making GBS threads the bed repeatedly and getting told to make something different.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
cool, so add another 5 years dev time on to DA4 while they rebuild it lol?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
They’re gonna call it DA:I again but this time it will mean Dragon Age: Infinity

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

"allowed to make a single-player RPG" this poo poo loving cracks me up

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Context is kinda important

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365052871507640325

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Moola posted:

cool, so add another 5 years dev time on to DA4 while they rebuild it lol?

nah. my guess is this was a policy since 2019 once they saw fallen order take off like a rocket. and the game was in flux then still so i can see them going through with it now.

Bioware is a living breathing (for now) argument as to why game developers need a publisher to ride them. Without EA showing up to say "MAKE A loving GAME!" they probably wouldn't have ever even finished Andromeda.

i still find it funny that the way too online gameplay lead designer for that game, was basically the only person who did their job mostly right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, i have less faith in DA4 now. they have probably leanred nothing from the gently caress ups in DA:I.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It also further demonstrates that despite being in development for, what, 4 or 5 years now they have nothing done. Nothing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It also further demonstrates that despite being in development for, what, 4 or 5 years now they have nothing done. Nothing.

From the rumors I've heard, it started in 2015, all the work got scrapped to reboot it as live service in 2017 which also caused a bunch of the management to quit, and now we're back to singleplayer with a bunch of work being scrapped lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

From the rumors I've heard, it started in 2015, all the work got scrapped to reboot it as live service in 2017 which also caused a bunch of the management to quit, and now we're back to singleplayer with a bunch of work being scrapped lol.

i mean i think this came down from ea like 2 years ago. so idk.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Schreier can't even use promotional artwork for DA4 in his article about DA4 because there isn't any so he's gotta use 8 year old stuff from DAI.😂

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There was a teaser iirc

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just remembered one of my biggest gripes with ME3 was when I found the Phalanx and discovered they had turned it into a loving peashooter, compared to the laser-sighted head-popper it was in ME2.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rinkles posted:

There was a teaser iirc

Yup. No in game assets, a weird mural behind Solas that looks like the clown from the IT remake, and no DA4 logo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Just remembered one of my biggest gripes with ME3 was when I found the Phalanx and discovered they had turned it into a loving peashooter, compared to the laser-sighted head-popper it was in ME2.

:hai: this was unforgivable

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It doesn't seem like that really matters because the patented Bioware Magic comes down to a new lead director coming in 18 months before and telling everyone to quit loving around with protoypes and "finding the fun" to make a finished product.

If DA4 ever comes out it'll probably be because 4-5 years of almost nothing was smashed into a game by 18 months of crunch time because someone finally put their foot down and said get to work.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bloody Pom posted:

They nerfed almost every ME2 gun to make better variants for ME3. I think the only ones that really made it through unscathed were the Claymore and Widow, though arguably the Black Widow is better than the regular Widow.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DICE is too. I can't imagine what happened behind doors to gently caress up BF5 as much as it was and BF1 to a lesser degree even though it was generally liked. The choices that DICE made with BF5 were so odd that I can't imagine them coming from EA. What a piece of poo poo game, especially coming from the people that made Bad Company 2.

This is also why I'm hopeful from MS buying Bethesda. Maybe we'll get an Elder Scrolls some time this decade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bloody Pom posted:

Just remembered one of my biggest gripes with ME3 was when I found the Phalanx and discovered they had turned it into a loving peashooter, compared to the laser-sighted head-popper it was in ME2 they only let me use the motherfucking Cain once.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

DICE is too. I can't imagine what happened behind doors to gently caress up BF5 as much as it was and BF1 to a lesser degree even though it was generally liked. The choices that DICE made with BF5 were so odd that I can't imagine them coming from EA. What a piece of poo poo game, especially coming from the people that made Bad Company 2.

This is also why I'm hopeful from MS buying Bethesda. Maybe we'll get an Elder Scrolls some time this decade.

I've got tentative expectations about MS buying studios.

MS bought Obsidian who then turned around and made The Outer Worlds on time and on budget. The game itself was pretty lame but I don't really see that being the fault of the publisher necessarily aside from some expose that 90% of the problems were because of MS mandates coming down the pipeline. Even then it sold way more then expected so by company standards it was a huge success.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

MS bought Obsidian who then turned around and made The Outer Worlds on time and on budget. The game itself was pretty lame but I don't really see that being the fault of the publisher necessarily aside from some expose that 90% of the problems were because of MS mandates coming down the pipeline.

Obsidian seem to be pretty iffy when it comes to original IPs. Tyranny was pretty underwhelming as well from what I recall. Alpha Protocol was insanely ambitious and suffered for it, the level of reactivity put Mass Effect to shame but the gameplay makes ME1 seem like a competent shooter. Their best works have often been picking up other developers' scraps (KoTOR 2, New Vegas etc.) and even those are often seriously flawed or cut down.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 26, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GaaS games are loving terrible and need to die.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Blue Raider posted:

dice is on record saying they don't understand why people liked bad company 2 so much, so it really should not be a surprise that nothing they've made since comes even remotely close to matching that game

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

pentyne posted:

MS bought Obsidian who then turned around and made The Outer Worlds on time and on budget. The game itself was pretty lame but I don't really see that being the fault of the publisher necessarily aside from some expose that 90% of the problems were because of MS mandates coming down the pipeline. Even then it sold way more then expected so by company standards it was a huge success.

The Outer Worlds was published by Private Division/Take Two. Avowed is the big RPG that will show what Microsoft money does for Obsidian.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

pentyne posted:

Outer Worlds was mostly made before Microsoft, it was still even published by a different company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

kilus aof posted:

The Outer Worlds was published by Private Division/Take Two. Avowed is the big RPG that will show what Microsoft money does for Obsidian.

I only discovered this week that Avowed is in the POE universe which made me much more interested.