Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hold on to your supple flesh, we're postin about :frogsiren:GORE:frogsiren:

This thread is definitely :nms::nws: etc.

This thread has been sanctioned by our very own HGB, and is meant for kind goons to vent/share/decompress/etc. This is definitely not the place to gloat about how you killed a man over some cheetos or how you think that people that can't stomach the subject matter are weak. gently caress off outta here with that already, people process what they can however they can.

That being said, here's a little housekeeping/rules stuff to keep it all above board:

1. No shaming/harassing/etc. of the posters who decide to share in here. Their reaction is theirs alone to whatever they dealt with, everyone handles this differently.

2. No glorifying maiming or whatever you want to call the violent action that caused the gore. We're not loving 4chan or any of the other bastard children this site spawned.

3. You are fully responsible to put whatever you post into context. This isn't a thread for dumping random poo poo you found on the internet with no explanation/comment. If you want to post something that isn't something that you are personally involved in, that's fine so long as you follow the thread rules AND have something to say about the event. Talk about how it's similar to something you dealt with, explain the context of the event (what lead up to it/what was the result/policy changes at a jobsite/etc.), express how any part of it affected you.

4. THIS IS NOT A DUMPING GROUND, READ 3 AGAIN.

5. The rules are not set in stone, and can be changed as the thread evolves. I feel like we know the gist of how to act in here to begin with at least.

So, what are we considering "gore" in here? Honestly, the term is basically "blood that has been shed." I'm going with "any injury to an animal that has the ability to cause sufficient mental anguish in a person." Doesn't have to be especially bloody, hell I know some of you have seen a closed fracture in person and those angles in the flesh are, uh, intense to say the least. If you have something that you feel fits here, by all means post away.

Finally, participation and mental health. You know if this thread is for you or not. If you don't like the subject, that's fine and you have tons of other threads to keep you company on SA. If you feel like you need more than just the thread to shake some cobwebs out or to just vent, my PMs are always open. The amount of goons that deal with this stuff on the daily, or just have in massive amounts in general is much higher than you might think. Look at the OSHA/Cool Zone/GiP/Idiots threads and that's just a sampling, there's a lot of us that have been around and can maybe help you on the way to coping or seeking professional help if you've been putting it off.

Cool, great, grand. I'm sure it's time for me to shut up and put some actual content here. Some has been posted before, some not. I'll preface that all of what I post isn't from the same specific job or even timeframe. I just tend to gravitate towards poo poo that lends itself to dealing with the macabre in some way shape or form, which I've always told myself is a form of "someone's gotta do it, and I don't mind." Whether it's healthy or not, I have a head shrinker that will figure that poo poo out. I'm dead-sure that being numb to it isn't a good thing because in a perfect world I'd feel the full gravity of things instead of mute indifference so long as I'm keeping someone else from having to be involved. This doesn't obviously work for every situation, but it is what it is. The hats I've worn over the years, jobs, situations are varied: mil poo poo/skip tracer/PI/private security/emergency response/safety officer/working dog handler and trainer. Every fuckin one had multiple instances that fit in the thread, easily. That being said, you can have the cushiest office job ever and be exposed to a horrendous accident just chilling at work. Let's get to it.

PathAsc, almost 20 years ago posted:

So the thing about this one is that it wasn't a surprise and I know for a fact it's part of what made me realize for drat sure I was a bit dead to things. During my enlistment I knew I'd eventually be going overseas, and that work up training was going to involve a fair bit of being shown the what and how of being captured might be. You expect the current events, you expect the images and video from past wars. What you don't expect is the SHEER FUCKIN AMOUNT of evidence of what continues to take place every goddamn day. That was it, the surprise was just how much video fuckin evidence is available and just hosted wherever. You expect someone to suck-start their rifle, you expect the indoctrination to warcrimes that might happen to you. I did not expect that the rabbit hole went so deep. The amount of media shown to me and everyone else about the horrors of war was so so much broader than we expected. So we sat there, watched the things, took notes, carried on. It doesn't even just happen once, no you get this all the time if you're in certain places. They'll even go as far as to suggest you do some research into the subject on your own time. Which you do, because you're young and loving dumb and you want to help ~the cause~ whatever that might be. Usually it's "don't get fuckin caught, don't let your friends get caught, and if you do get caught you should probably just eat a bullet about it."

Then of course there's the safety stand-down events. You know, for when some shitass uses a .50 cal round like a hammer and blows his goddamned hand into a few different shapes of stringy meat, pics front and center. Or when a dude gets run the gently caress over by a 7-ton because he's sleeping in the road at night, pics front and center. Or, or, or. How about when someone wears their contact lenses in the gas cha... I mean confidence chamber. You get the picture of what I'm saying: there's always images or video. You're gonna see it, whether you were there or not.

Oh boy, what a time to be alive! I'd seen plenty of non-human carnage in my life like a deer getting pasted, or literally any farm poo poo whatsoever. Hell, looking at my own hamburger meat leg parts after a motorcycle wreck years later still doesn't do poo poo for me! Mental health at every turn!

PathAsc, just months ago posted:

I do K9 training, and part of that is rehabilitating dogs that have had some bad interactions with other trainers/handlers or that just have bad mental states. I'll do a thread on this line of work some other day, but what you need to know is that we're talking about animals that can straight up crush bone with a simple bite, that are bred to be strong as gently caress and have high endurance. We've got one that I'm just going to call "W" that has had multiple trainers over some years. As such, he's got trust issues because these trainers were stupid and thought that having a hard-to-handle dog as a brand new to the field handler is SO COOL. Wrong, one by one they fail miserably and W goes back to not getting the attention he needs. Being handed around has supremely hosed this poor dog up, and finally he's not allowed to be handled by newbies nor is he to be approached because come the gently caress on would you like a bunch of idiots staring at you? Anyway, I'm with a group that can handle him and we are hoping to get him rehabilitated enough to either get trained or be adopted by a trainer to go live a happy life somewhere. We've got one specific guy who has been bonding with W, and he's taking it nice and slow. The rest of us are out of frame watching, that way there's no possible interaction other than those two with each other and another guy there for safety. This day has gone fairly good so far, and it's time to get W out and just walk around and get brushed down out in the open. Guy goes into the kennel, gets the lead ready, and reaches for the collar.

At this point, W has decided that violence is the answer to all things in life and gently caress you for touching my neck. Normally, a dog like this would bite and hold. Not today, not at all. In the span of about 5 seconds W has tagged our guy about 12 different places, deep. He's not finished though, and there is blood loving everywhere. So far we've got our dude with a hosed up arm, chest, and ribs. He's just barely avoided getting bit in the goddamn jugular and losing an eye. Thank gently caress no bites near the femoral either, even though they're well within reach. W is still going batshit, has torn a few hunks of flesh off, and left hefty gouges elsewhere all up and down one arm and hand. There's blood and flesh all over, it's on the ceiling and the windows, on the floor, and pooling in W's mouth once he ceases attacking and is just staring at our guy. Our standby dude has been trying to extract him from the kennel this whole time, and the rest of us are unable to help due to the rules that govern these situations. It's hosed, but it's written in blood, and believe me when I say any more than those two in there and I'd have lost a friend that day I'm sure. Once we get our guy out, it's straight to first aid and then whatever other medical poo poo he's gonna need next. Obviously there's a whole area to be cleaned as well, but that is being handled by a separate team. Took a drat good bit of time to heal, but our guy came out of it with just scars in the end. Y'know, after the feeling returned in certain parts and he could feel pain a few weeks later. No hard feelings were had, you expect to get hosed up at any time doing this stuff and honestly sometimes there's no way around it. We laugh about it now, but holy poo poo he was inches from being unalive.

I feel like that's a good enough primer so far, so let's talk about gore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
This is a difficult thing and I think learning about how rough things can be is good if you are in the right mindset. Let’s be good here and understand that these are real people with real families. This a thread to confront mortality and it will be treated with seriousness and respect. Not a warning just something I’m asking from the bottom of my heart.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is a difficult thing and I think learning about how rough things can be is good if you are in the right mindset. Let’s be good here and understand that these are real people with real families. This a thread to confront mortality and it will be treated with seriousness and respect. Not a warning just something I’m asking from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you for that, my wording was not quite that succinct or graceful.

I also found some of my wreck pics, and some other more tame stuff. That'll be in here later on when I write it up all nice like.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I had a student grind all the meat between the first and second knuckle on his ring finger. He was impatiently grinding a HSS bit for his lathe and putting pressure on the back side of the bit with his left hand, the bit slipped.

A second student took all the meat off the bottom of his thumb and left a nice blood spray across the floor. I saw him holding paper towel around his thumb and said something. He said, "Mr Vikernes, it's no big deal", opened up the paper towel and it looked like hamburger.

I also had a student intentionally fire a nail into the palm of his hand that went into his wrist. It was a blood-free injury, but makes my hand hurt just thinking about it.

Oh, and have you ever attended a c-section? Holy hell. One of the greatest days ever, but the sights and smells are something else.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

:blastu: looking forward to reading about goon war crimes :blastu:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I had a student grind all the meat between the first and second knuckle on his ring finger. He was impatiently grinding a HSS bit for his lathe and putting pressure on the back side of the bit with his left hand, the bit slipped.

A second student took all the meat off the bottom of his thumb and left a nice blood spray across the floor. I saw him holding paper towel around his thumb and said something. He said, "Mr Vikernes, it's no big deal", opened up the paper towel and it looked like hamburger.

I also had a student intentionally fire a nail into the palm of his hand that went into his wrist. It was a blood-free injury, but makes my hand hurt just thinking about it.

Oh, and have you ever attended a c-section? Holy hell. One of the greatest days ever, but the sights and smells are something else.

Lol, yeah. Apparently responding to the question "how does it look" with "lol ur fookin guts are all out on the table" was NOT the correct response.

I honestly expected worse as soon as I saw lathe in the first part, those students got lucky all things considered imo.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have no pictures but I busted my right hand up pretty bad from a fight in high school. I suffered a ruptured ear drum and traded my broken fist from me defending myself.

That's all I got sadly.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Since we’re being honest here this is why I talked to the OP about the thread. As a kid I watched a guy die on a motorcycle, I saw human anatomy I wish I never saw. It’s why I try to value human life despite how horrible we can all be. I went to his funeral and talked to his parents and I still see it in my head most days. I wanted this to be here in hopes we can treat each other better and stop wishing death on others not just in GBS but as a forum in general.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

PathAsc posted:

Finally, participation and mental health. You know if this thread is for you or not.

:actually: Many people think they are ok with reading & viewing gory content and develop PTSD from it later. I don't think it's healthy to dwell on this stuff.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

jarofpiss posted:

:blastu: looking forward to reading about goon war crimes :blastu:

Unless the story I have about certain personnel from the Saddam regime post here, it's not a goon warcrime.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Since we’re being honest here this is why I talked to the OP about the thread. As a kid I watched a guy die on a motorcycle, I saw human anatomy I wish I never saw. It’s why I try to value human life despite how horrible we can all be. I went to his funeral and talked to his parents and I still see it in my head most days. I wanted this to be here in hopes we can treat each other better and stop wishing death on others not just in GBS but as a forum in general.

You too have experienced death. It's not a fun thing to witness. And yes I agree with you on this.

At first I was not all for this thread. But there is education to be learned from this.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So in response to the quoted dog story in the OP.
Uhhh when does that behavior go into "we've got to put em down" territory?
Dogs obviously got some issues and I hate more than anything an animal having to die because of human incompetence. But holy poo poo that's gnarly

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Schweinhund posted:

:actually: Many people think they are ok with reading & viewing gory content and develop PTSD from it later. I don't think it's healthy to dwell on this stuff.

Many other people think that insulating yourself from bad things makes the whole situation even worse. Look at reporting on wars: whitewashing how that poo poo actually goes down vs showing that it's loving terrible. I'm in the camp of showing the full toll because we need to stop murderfucking each other and and the planet asap. Out of sight out of mind is real and terrible in this regard.

Besides, what you quoted is more of a warning that we are discussing this here, and if you don't want to take part then see yourself out.

I don't disagree that dwelling on these things hurts, but it also hurts to keep it bottled up. We're not keeping this poo poo internal in here, so please keep that in mind. Once again, this isn't the "look how cool blood is" thread.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Sentinel posted:

When they bite and cause illness to another human being. This is a whole 'nother story but any animal that causes harm out of nowhere knows death is the reward for that behavior.

Have you ever been attacked by a dog before? Its not fun.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
This isnt some sort of movie or anime. If an animal attacks you. Showing sympathy or weakness will end up in failure on your part.

Welcome to the real world.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Katamari Democracy posted:

This isnt some sort of movie or anime. If an animal attacks you. Showing sympathy or weakness will end up in failure on your part.

Attacked no.
Im under no illusions and that's part of the reason I asked. I can't see just letting that slide.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Understandable.

Putting an animal down on any other means might be complicated moral obligations. Might not be good for this thread.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sentinel posted:

So in response to the quoted dog story in the OP.
Dogs obviously got some issues and I hate more than anything an animal having to die because of human incompetence. But holy poo poo that's gnarly

That's wholly dependant on multiple factors. In this instance it wasn't my call to make, but I wouldn't have voted to put him down. There is a host of evaluation to be done after an incident like this, and honestly the poor dude still had a chance to be rehabbed into a controlled environment. After reviewing the tapes, doing more evaluation, and further debrief we saw what seemed to be a repeatable trigger for him. Once you have that identified, you can work that out. It takes time, and tons of it. If you have the kind of staff that are fine with the risks then you can take the year or more that is needed to help the animal and get it to work out into a proper living situation. Now, if it's the case that the animal truly is just too broken mentally then you really really need to euthanize. It sucks, but there are some things you can't fix.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Animals don’t know better it’s why we have to protect them and whenever possible make sure they aren’t in a situation to hurt someone. Nature is nature but humans share responsibility for animals behavior way too often. Anyway I’ve interjected enough be good goons and have empathy maybe let’s stick to people animal stuff is just a little much but I understand.

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 26, 2021

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

When they bite and cause illness to another human being. This is a whole 'nother story but any animal that causes harm out of nowhere knows death is the reward for that behavior.

Have you ever been attacked by a dog before? Its not fun.

Understandable.

Putting an animal down on any other means might be complicated moral obligations. Might not be good for this thread.

Every single part of this is true. We had the luxury of looking at the situation to ascertain wtf. Additionally, the behavior was caused by a previous handler, and as such was something that could be pointed directly to as the inciting incident. Believe me when I say that the choice to put him down or not had nothing to do with morality. You simply can't put that into play, it's not fair to the dog or to anyone that would be involved with it. There aren't any shades of gray, you either have the info you need to make an informed decision or you don't. Again, this was in a highly controlled environment with professionals. If this had happened in any other situation then the dog would've been put down immediately. The only reason my friend came out of this alive was because he did exactly what he was supposed to do in that situation. Had he done anything else the dog never would've disengaged.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Animals don’t know better it’s why we have to protect them and whenever possible make sure they aren’t in a situation to hurt someone. Nature is nature but humans share responsibility for animals behavior way too often. Anyway I’ve interjected enough be good goons and have empathy.

loving this. Whether it's a pet, a service animal, or a working animal you have to be the expert on your little dude. If you don't know the ins and outs of your specific companion then you are failing them, bar loving none. If you can't read the tells, then you've failed already. I don't want to derail completely, so to bring this full circle I'll talk about my main guy here at the house:

He's the bestest boy and goes everywhere with me. I also began training him after he'd been through 5 other handlers, so he had tons of trust issues. If you don't immediately fix that then you're looking at a living weapon that will not give two fucks about what you say. That goes for any animal, no trust means no control means put them down. It's sad when you get an animal that has had bad training at the hands of inexperienced or incapable handlers. Now, imagine if you didn't do the needful and that got someone hurt or killed.

It's not a bad thing to tell people you're in over your head before you start something. I don't know jack poo poo about engines, building a dwelling, or posting well. There's not a drat way I'm going to go wing it on the first two because someone will get hurt.

E: Clarification on the animal/living weapon part - go ahead and reach behind a couch to grab a cat that has holed up there because it feels like everywhere else is unsafe. You can absolutely lose significant amounts of flesh and more, and that's before factoring in infection. That's an animal that has one of the highest strength to weight ratios on the planet, and they will gently caress you up in more ways than you realize until it happens. The infections they can cause can rapidly get bad enough that you're looking at amputation to save the rest of a limb. gently caress

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 26, 2021

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ok gently caress, I owe another story after all that so here's this one:

I did the dumbest thing and rode my motorcycle in gym shorts, a tank top, and lowtop shoes back in 2012. I knew it was dumb, I'd never done it before, but I figured "eh I'm just going out to get some snacks so I can keep playing diablo, I'll only be just down the road a bit." So off I went down a county highway at 2230 doing about 60-65 and loving creamed a goddamn deer. The only reason I'm alive is because I had a helmet on, the only reason I can walk is dumb loving luck on how I hit and landed. I skidded a very long way under my bike for most of it until my awesome meat-brakes (read: legs and arms) controlled my speed. I was in shock and had no idea I had gaping holes in my feet and ankles, nor that the road rash was as bad as it turned out to be. I had to be convinced to go to a hospital, who then failed to do some very important work on my leg but that's a different story, and wound up getting a skin graft over the never healing but definitely necrotizing hole in one of my ankles. All said I spent 13 weeks laid up, and then a ton more on crutches.

What few pics I have of this still are below:

:nms::nws: For scarring and skin graft wounds

I honestly don't know how my arms didn't get mangled worse, and trust me when I say that the poo poo under wraps on the one leg you can see and the other you can't were pretty hosed. I kept my helmet, I hit my head three times on that road hard enough to put me out for good, it keeps me anchored to reality.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Hello fellow shaved head dude.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Holy poo poo dude, glad you’re alive.

No pics but a few weeks ago my mom, who is already an arthritic senior, insisted on trimming the hedges even though we have told her to leave that poo poo to lawn care workers. She’s the “hard worker who hates being retired” type. Welp the hedge trimmer slips and it FUCKS UP her hand. Cut her thumb to a sliver of skin, cut two other fingers to the bone, blood everywhere. She almost lost three fingers but proper medical attention (and a little luck) allowed her to keep them all! It was also thankfully not her dominant hand.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What up fam. Shaving that stupid dome since 2004ish. Honestly I bled a bunch from it before I learned how to properly, so that's technically on topic I guess.

I'm trying to find one of my old hard drives, it has quite a bit of media that belongs in here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Two years or so ago I got called out to an amputation. We get there and the dude has his hand cut all the way off. My medic partner and I are taking care of the lovely tourniquet the cops put on and sent our trainee to go get his hand from the table saw.

This guy keeps saying “my dog, you have to find my dog” and I’m telling him not to worry, he was spooked but he’ll come back and the cops are looking for him, one way or another he’ll be fine.

That’s when the trainee yells to us that he can’t find the hand and I put two and two together.

The guy’s dog grabbed his hand and bolted.

Luckily they were able to find the dog pretty quick and a cop met us at the hospital with the hand, and despite all the shenanigans they were able to reattach it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Aegis Bear posted:

Holy poo poo dude, glad you’re alive.

No pics but a few weeks ago my mom, who is already an arthritic senior, insisted on trimming the hedges even though we have told her to leave that poo poo to lawn care workers. She’s the “hard worker who hates being retired” type. Welp the hedge trimmer slips and it FUCKS UP her hand. Cut her thumb to a sliver of skin, cut two other fingers to the bone, blood everywhere. She almost lost three fingers but proper medical attention (and a little luck) allowed her to keep them all! It was also thankfully not her dominant hand.

Holy poo poo, this sounds like most of the boomers here, family included.

Seems like it's fairly recent that these types of injuries could still be mended and keto the digits? Recent being 5-10 years? Glad that wasn't worse.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Two years or so ago I got called out to an amputation. We get there and the dude has his hand cut all the way off. My medic partner and I are taking care of the lovely tourniquet the cops put on and sent our trainee to go get his hand from the table saw.

This guy keeps saying “my dog, you have to find my dog” and I’m telling him not to worry, he was spooked but he’ll come back and the cops are looking for him, one way or another he’ll be fine.

That’s when the trainee yells to us that he can’t find the hand and I put two and two together.

The guy’s dog grabbed his hand and bolted.

Luckily they were able to find the dog pretty quick and a cop met us at the hospital with the hand, and despite all the shenanigans they were able to reattach it.

For all my seriousness fuckin hand dog man lol

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

For all my seriousness fuckin hand dog man lol

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Had a similar thing but it was just a finger from someone doing wood work with a circular saw and the free ranging chickens had run off with it but they had already pecked it to nothing by that time unfortunately.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
When I was about 9 or 10 I was in Tahoe with my family to go snowboarding. We stopped at a gas station and I was just standing outside the car looking around. All the sudden I hear an engine revving very loudly and look to see what it is.

I look down the street and this beater car is going WAY too fast down the road. No chains either. The whole road is covered in snow and ice as it had just snowed recently and was actually lightly snowing right then.

Obviously you know what's likely to happen next. The car got out of control, not sure if it hit something to get it flipping but it got sideways and was about to roll. I guess the person inside wasn't wearing a seatbelt, because when the car begins to flip the driver got his whole upper body hanging out the window, but he didn't fly out all the way. I think the first roll he actually didn't get hit as the car was airborne. On the second roll though, his torso was hanging out, it hit the ground and the entire car rolled over him, bending his entire body brutally backwards and without a doubt breaking his spine in a way that would've allowed him to bend backwards and touch his own toes. The car continued to roll a few more times as his limp torso was just hanging out the driver's window before coming to a stop against the pile of snow on the side of the road protecting the gas station I was watching from. No one could survive what happened to that person.

I've been uncommonly unlucky to see some pretty gruesome things, that's just the first one I've got and the one where I was youngest. I still remember the person's blindingly white body hanging out that window (the spin had caused their shirt to pull up) and the car coming down right on it.

I was attacked and bitten by a rottweiler in Chile. He bit my hand and arm but as he let go to try and get to my throat I was able to escape over a fence. Nothing happened to the dog in the end, actually. I just got a rabies shot and some medical attention on the wounds.

Play fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 26, 2021

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I did this while trying to remove a pair of bicycle handlebar grips in the dumbest/laziest way imaginable

It was early in the morning, I hadn’t had a cup of coffee yet and briefly forgot about the cardinal “cut away from you” rule of knives

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 26, 2021

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Play posted:

When I was about 9 or 10 I was in Tahoe with my family to go snowboarding. We stopped at a gas station and I was just standing outside the car looking around. All the sudden I hear an engine revving very loudly and look to see what it is.

I look down the street and this beater car is going WAY too fast down the road. No chains either. The whole road is covered in snow and ice as it had just snowed recently and was actually lightly snowing right then.

Obviously you know what's likely to happen next. The car got out of control, not sure if it hit something to get it flipping but it got sideways and was about to roll. I guess the person inside wasn't wearing a seatbelt, because when the car begins to flip the driver got his whole upper body hanging out the window, but he didn't fly out all the way. I think the first roll he actually didn't get hit as the car was airborne. On the second roll though, his torso was hanging out, it hit the ground and the entire car rolled over him, bending his entire body brutally backwards and without a doubt breaking his spine in a way that would've allowed him to bend backwards and touch his own toes. The car continued to roll a few more times as his limp torso was just hanging out the driver's window before coming to a stop against the pile of snow on the side of the road protecting the gas station I was watching from. No one could survive what happened to that person.

I've been uncommonly unlucky to see some pretty gruesome things, that's just the first one I've got and the one where I was youngest. I still remember the person's blindingly white body hanging out that window (the spin had caused their shirt to pull up) and the car coming down right on it.

I was attacked and bitten by a rottweiler in Chile. He bit my hand and arm but as he let go to try and get to my throat I was able to escape over a fence. Nothing happened to the dog in the end, actually. I just got a rabies shot and some medical attention on the wounds.

For all the poo poo people give state fairs, I have yet to go to one where the highway patrol or a local fire dept hasn't brought the rollover machine to show how the unbuckled crash dummy gets absolutely obliterated on what always amounts to the first roll of the vehicle basically.

Glad that wall of snow was there, sounds like that could've gone bad for you and your family if it hadn't been. That's a hell of a thing to see.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bouillon Rube posted:

I did this while trying to remove a pair of bicycle handlebar grips in the dumbest/laziest way imaginable

It was early in the morning, I hadn’t had a cup of coffee yet and briefly forgot about the cardinal “cut away from you” rule of knives

That looks pretty deep, did you hit bone or damage any other connective tissue?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bouillon Rube posted:

Ewwww! Man that's brutal, really deep. I hope you didn't sever any of the cords that control your fingers?

That actually reminds me of something I did to my hand a few years ago. What happened was that I was about to start cooking so I turned on the electric burner and put a pot on the stove. However, I did not realize that I had turned on the wrong burner. As chance would have it, the burner I turned on was directly below the handle of the pot, and the pot had a metal handle. You can probably see where this is going, I came back, grabbed the pot handle and it turned out to be incredibly hot and it burned me badly. For a month or two I had an enormous circular burn on my palm which created a blister about an inch high full of fluid. This is what it looked like when I was in the airport and the thing finally popped:

I thought it kinda looked like I was holding a condom in my hand at all times, lol

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Come on, you don't really believe this, do you? Do you really think all the people who watched beheading videos, or videos on Ogrish, etc., came out better people because of it? Or that someone reading a GBS poster's story about getting injured in a motorcycle accident (just an example) will make them think "hey, I really need to reevaluate my stance re: killing my enemies?"

At this point in our lives, all of us will have seen someone die and/or be badly injured, either personally or on video/in pictures--we know how this poo poo works, gore isn't a profound mystery.

If you really wanted to have a thread that might make people "treat each other better and stop wishing death on others," it would be one focused on the effect violence and death had on survivors. But it doesn't sound like that's what you intend this to be.

I mean, I'm not necessarily strongly opposed to a gore thread, but this kind of attempt at a high-minded justification for it kind of sticks in the craw a bit.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for starting this, OP. I’ve been waiting for a place to talk about this for years. Welp, here goes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Come on, you don't really believe this, do you? Do you really think all the people who watched beheading videos, or videos on Ogrish, etc., came out better people because of it? Or that someone reading a GBS poster's story about getting injured in a motorcycle accident (just an example) will make them think "hey, I really need to reevaluate my stance re: killing my enemies?"

At this point in our lives, all of us will have seen someone die and/or be badly injured, either personally or on video/in pictures--we know how this poo poo works, gore isn't a profound mystery.

If you really wanted to have a thread that might make people "treat each other better and stop wishing death on others," it would be one focused on the effect violence and death had on survivors. But it doesn't sound like that's what you intend this to be.

I mean, I'm not necessarily strongly opposed to a gore thread, but this kind of attempt at a high-minded justification for it kind of sticks in the craw a bit.

FWIW, I thought that post was more HGB giving their specific stance because of that specific post maybe bringing it up, but otherwise when they approached me about the thread it was more "hey maybe this might help people cope."

For me it's more or less that, plus sharing is caring and goddamn do I love a good fuckin story. That, and it's still how we tend to pass info as a species as far as "don't do thing, because thing will kill you" or "if you see this thing it's p fuckin dangerous mate" and the like.

But hey, I'm good for whatever so long as it's useful in some way. I'll never say that seeing the bad side of man will make me more empathetic to the plights of certain kinds of people, but it's a noble goal for anyone that has the capacity for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Head Bee Guy posted:

Thanks for starting this, OP. I’ve been waiting for a place to talk about this for years. Welp, here goes:

Lol, thread mascot.

I like the cut of your jib.