Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think the M9 will do this, but I think it might be a good idea to go see Ludinus to explain what's going on. Astrid said "they already know you're here". Putting the explanation off any longer or leaving town without explaining is probably not a good idea. They do actually have proof, unfortunately, in the form of those bizarre eyes.

That date took forever. It was like watching paint dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That date took forever. It was like watching paint dry.

I'm not a shipping person, but we must be watching a different episode, because I saw a fun and funny romp through ridiculous escapades at the end of the latest critical role.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm not a shipping person, but we must be watching a different episode, because I saw a fun and funny romp through ridiculous escapades at the end of the latest critical role.

I'm glad you liked it, but fifty minutes of date night is a lot. Especially when it took more than forty of those minutes before the ninjas showed up.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 23, 2021

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
50 minutes for the payoff to something great that's been building up since episode 1 or 2 seems about the right amount of time to me. Ashley and Marisha were awesome, it was a really touching.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I can totally understand why people thought it was boring. Ashley has been playing the introvert so well that watching her try to play Yasha as coming out of her shell feels cringy in a very real way.

If anything, it's a credit to her commitment to character. I certainly would not want to watch anybody on a date, much less a blushing introvert who can barely get two words out. That Ashley didn't try to make the date more Hollywood is very impressive.

I powered through it and was rewarded by the avalanche of feelings at the end, but if that's not your cup of dead people tea, then I get it.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I didn't get a cringy vibe at all. The introvert coming out of her shell to the person she loves, after finally getting over the grief of being a widow, was endearing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The date night thing was fine. I understand why people would complain but it was a good payoff towards literally years of character development. Not sure I would have dedicated such a large percentage of the episode to 2/7 of the cast (the other folks' boredom was plainly on display), but it was a touching moment and those are important to ground the story and define the stakes.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It was beautiful and well-acted and an enormous emotional payoff you joyless weirdos

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the other people at the table are bigger shippers than most fans lol they are very obviously not bored

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

eke out posted:

the other people at the table are bigger shippers than most fans lol they are very obviously not bored

Liam was more engaged than Matt, as he was the one advancing the story step-by-step and thus in control of the pacing. And the reactions when Yasha said she fell in love with Beau pretty clearly establish how much the others were engaged.

I guess some people just figure that when they enjoy something generally but not a specific aspect of it, that means there’s something wrong with that aspect and not that it’s OK for people who love that kind of scene more than a three-hour combat to get what they enjoy for a little while. Given that Ashley has had very little chance to be a part of Yasha’s storyline, where somebody like Liam has gotten hours and hours of RP development for Caleb, this seemed especially needed and well-timed going into what looks like a climax, if not the campaign climax.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I think it's easy to separate it into two ideas:

1. The Beau/Yasha date was clearly, laboriously, rigorously built up as an *event*. It is a big moment for both of the characters, and both of the players. It produced some great levity, heavy emotions, and was a natural touch point for the two characters. It gave Marisha and Ashley a long chance to bounce off of one another, and more importantly, it gave Ashley some much needed and desired focus. They were both having fun, the rest of the people at the table pushed them and encouraged them to do it, they all watched and listened attentively, and in the end, it was a very touching and beautiful moment.

2. I, personally, the guy who watches it on Thursday nights and falls asleep sometimes before the end of the episode, found most of it as dull as dirt and very cringey. In my re-watches of C2, I'll probably skip the latter half of this past episode - maybe watching the ninja fight.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I could only see it as giving Matt extra time to come up with new ways to tragically kill one of them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lucas Archer posted:

I think it's easy to separate it into two ideas:

1. The Beau/Yasha date was clearly, laboriously, rigorously built up as an *event*. It is a big moment for both of the characters, and both of the players. It produced some great levity, heavy emotions, and was a natural touch point for the two characters. It gave Marisha and Ashley a long chance to bounce off of one another, and more importantly, it gave Ashley some much needed and desired focus. They were both having fun, the rest of the people at the table pushed them and encouraged them to do it, they all watched and listened attentively, and in the end, it was a very touching and beautiful moment.

2. I, personally, the guy who watches it on Thursday nights and falls asleep sometimes before the end of the episode, found most of it as dull as dirt and very cringey. In my re-watches of C2, I'll probably skip the latter half of this past episode - maybe watching the ninja fight.

And that's fine, even Travis hates the episodes where they go shopping.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Just think of it as creating fertile ground for Sam to be mean to Travis later in the campaign.

"How exactly did Yasha become the nonagon?"

"It's not my fault! How could I know that those eyes could be sexually transmitted?"

"That means Fjord has nothing to worry about."

"Hey, you can get those from reading a book, too."

"As I said, nothing to worry about."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I actually deeply want Lucien to have been watching the ninja fight portion of the date and nothing but the ninja fight because it's the most baffling thing possible he could have spied on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
We've had so many sessions in a row in this arc that were just long long combat runs to the point everyone had to get character beats out before bed (which people in this thread complained about) so having an episode that was 10 percent prep and 90 percent character beats is fine and in fact very good. Especially when we start off with some great bits and wizard murder drama.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Everyone who says the date was cringey has probably never been a nervous bisexual on a date with another nervous bisexual. 100% of that poo poo was relatable

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not bisexual, but I haven't been on a date in years and frankly, both of them seem composed and the picture of confidence compared to how I think I'd act on a date at this point.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Froghammer posted:

Everyone who says the date was cringey has probably never been a nervous bisexual on a date with another nervous bisexual. 100% of that poo poo was relatable
I am the one who used the word cringey first and also a nervous bisexual. Relatable is the bedrock of cringe. Unfortunately the word has a lot of bullshit associated with it from reddit.

What I meant was is that I could see myself on that date being either one of them as I cycle through being the one who chooses words extremely carefully and the one that blurts stuff out. But Yasha takes 10 minutes to say things with a lot of ums and ahs sometimes and that can be boring.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
...you get that they're both terrified of emotional intimacy, right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Froghammer posted:

...you get that they're both terrified of emotional intimacy, right?

Yasha just doesn't want anyone to know that she fucks.

But yeah, Yasha and Beau are both very emotionally guarded. Beau kind of does almost a pseudo-machismo thing of shelling her emotions behind a bunch of bluster and assholishness and generally doesn't have a lot of healthy outlets for her emotions. Yasha is is a widow and still carries scars from that, it makes sense that she's having trouble allowing herself to love again.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah beau's journey of overcoming what's basically toxic masculinity is good

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

redbrouw posted:

I am the one who used the word cringey first and also a nervous bisexual. Relatable is the bedrock of cringe. Unfortunately the word has a lot of bullshit associated with it from reddit.

What I meant was is that I could see myself on that date being either one of them as I cycle through being the one who chooses words extremely carefully and the one that blurts stuff out. But Yasha takes 10 minutes to say things with a lot of ums and ahs sometimes and that can be boring.

That's not how I thought you meant "cringe", that makes a lot of sense.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Flakey posted:

That's not how I thought you meant "cringe", that makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, to be clear, I was also the one cheering on how they've made this seem completely organic and natural, and I have posted several times about how much I was looking forward to it. I was not watching on a good screen live, so was mostly listening to the audio. Watching it again on my TV made Marisha's concern and all of the agony Ashley was pouring into it - it made it feel much better. There are so many nuances; they are shockingly good at sitting down and making it feel like a stage.

They also made Ashley taller than Marisha in the youtube thumbnail for this ep.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that I'm now 100% caught up and it is no longer "Thursday everyday" anymore.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dragonstoned posted:

The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that I'm now 100% caught up and it is no longer "Thursday everyday" anymore.

Sounds like you need to start over with episode 1

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Hulk Smash! posted:

Sounds like you need to start over with episode 1

I like rewatching live shows for the fights, the energy and the jokes.

Or branch out into the Critical Role Expanded Universe and watch old periscopes or Mercer getting a dream realized with this Defranco interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM9viQbti-0

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Or watch other, non Critical Role DnD actual plays, because there's a loving tonne of them to chose from these days. There's several good options for comedy focused ones, such as Dragon Friends, Rude Tales, Dungeons and Daddies or NaDDPod. I'm not so sure about more dramatic or narrative focused shows, like Critical Role, but I'm sure plenty of options exist on that spectrum too.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

redbrouw posted:

I like rewatching live shows for the fights, the energy and the jokes.
The Darrington Brigade episode is a great example of that. Especially the initial character intros.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Listen to partizan from friends at the table.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Interesting tidbit from the middle of that Defranco-Mercer interview - Matt admitted that maybe his focus on eyes, and people watching, and the general oppressiveness of being gazed at by unknown persons for unknown reasons, MAY have something to do with his own trepidation of sudden fame. He got millions of views on his joint project and made it the BBEG.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Playing through FFXIV: a realm reborn again, and this time every line Alphinaud spoke I paused to ask myself “Is that... Sam? Doing a British accent?”

So I looked it up and lol, it totally is.

When I played the FF4 DS remake recently I heard Kain’s voice and thought “who does this edgelord think he is, Liam?” (it was). Also featuring Sam as a bard and Tal as a young punk ninja.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Ashley just executed Sam on live tv.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ashley is loving merciless :stare:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

*unreal tourney voice* holy poo poo

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
That poo poo-eating grin on Liam, lol

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
There needs to be a way to put a sock on the door to the magic mansion

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Ashley is loving merciless :stare:
No Mercy PercyAshley

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

So Trent is totally at home and Astrid is setting them up to confront him, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mylan posted:

So Trent is totally at home and Astrid is setting them up to confront him, right?
It's Caleb backstory night!