Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/0EwraSl1aPI

I ended up buying whatever my local hardware store had. I use them when grinding or cutting stuff or working above my head of course, but I kind of hate them because even though they're not scratched up at all, they still make stuff more difficult to see somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have been using my Bouton Traditionals a lot lately and I’m a fan, but I still prefer the gasketed Uvex goggles or a full face shield are better for lots of grinding/overhead work.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

3M Virtua CSS or SecureFit with the foam are excellent, and I use them with and without the foam as general safety glasses. The sides are a little bulky under ear muffs on the Virtua. The foam is nice just to help avoid stuff bouncing off your face and working its way into your eyes.

For a much more real seal, I love these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WPSEAK/
I do a lot of sawmilling and bandmills blow awful clouds of heavy wet dust everywhere. These are the only things that have worked for me so far. Somewhat delicate but goddamn they work well.

Also it's absolutely worth buying a 100 pack of some kind of anti-fog cleaner wipes. If you can avoid dropping safety glasses, having wipes around to clean them instead of your shirt or something makes them last forever. Anti fog actually mostly works if you use it regularly too.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

e: oops wrong thread for a project update, I just wanted to poo poo on this tool in particular:

I bought an ABN stud extractor set on the recommendation of the Project Farm guy, and it effortlessly turned my threaded stud into a beautifully polished, unthreaded stud. Guess I'll go buy a torch.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 25, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elviscat posted:

I really wish safety glasses above like $15 came with a darn case.

The prescription ones from rxsafety do! I just never use them and scratch the gently caress out of them anyways.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

As safety coordinator for my 4 person office, I bought like 20 pairs of different kinds of safety glasses and littered them all over our one room office. No cases, no organization, just safety glasses all over the loving place. No excuses that you couldn't find one.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Bouton's forever!

https://www.amazon.com/Bouton-249-5...396&s=hi&sr=1-1

I had a professor in college that swore by these, I bought some, loved them, then they got lost or someone walked off with them within the year - forgot about them - watched the project farm safety glasses video about a year ago and was taken back very quick - ordered all 3 types, clear, sunglasses and the IR version for using the laser cutter/plasma - I love them, wear the clear ones almost daily - my wife actually appropriated the sunglasses and wears them as her daily shades, once I figured out she took them, i took the side guards off for her and they actually look pretty stylish on her.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm pretty sure Project Farm has done a safety glass test. If not, he'll likely do one if suggested!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

He did, but they are out of stock.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I bought a pile of Bearcat, Uvex, or AOSafety safety ones years ago from Zoro, and scattered them around. I've got face shields too, specifically the Bionic. I've got a couple of expensive pairs, they're not much better. Maybe a bit better anti fog. They all scratch the same when dropped or sprayed with tile fragments.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Before I started wearing prescription I always found uvex to be the most comfortable. I'd recommend a face shield too, great for grinding and sanding drywall joints on the ceiling.

I still cant find a pair of prescription safety glasses that are plastic for arc flash and aren't uncomfortable.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the makita ratchet that's so popular right now is actually 12v and not the 18v that is the universe I am currently in. Makita has a 18v ratchet and I'm not in to it, so I did the right thing and bought the Mil(fuckey) M12 stubby 3/8 - my OCD is pretty upset about this, but the form factor of the red one is so much better, its cheaper, magazine style battery, compact - WHATEVER! then i saw more M12 stuff... I'm hosed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You picked up the Stubby impact and not the ratchet? Interesting turn. You know what happens next right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

You picked up the Stubby impact and not the ratchet? Interesting turn. You know what happens next right?

You buy the ratchet, then the long neck ratchet.

In Milwaukee chat, I'm pissed -- my M18 7 1/4" circular saw is completely fucky. It won't start at all unless you give it some percussive therapy, and even then it starts with a grinding-gear sound, if not a full-on stutter. The thing has seen maybe 5 hours of use in a year and a half. I know it's under warranty, but come on, that's bullshit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That does suck. I live in a city ~100K people and we have our own local warranty depot. Hopefully you can just drop it off at a guy so you're not without it for long? If it's really fucky he might be able to just authorize a new one or a reman unit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meatpimp posted:

In Milwaukee chat, I'm pissed -- my M18 7 1/4" circular saw is completely fucky. It won't start at all unless you give it some percussive therapy, and even then it starts with a grinding-gear sound, if not a full-on stutter. The thing has seen maybe 5 hours of use in a year and a half. I know it's under warranty, but come on, that's bullshit.

You have to wait until the new ratchet comes out in like a month!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

So I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the makita ratchet that's so popular right now is actually 12v and not the 18v that is the universe I am currently in. Makita has a 18v ratchet and I'm not in to it, so I did the right thing and bought the Mil(fuckey) M12 stubby 3/8 - my OCD is pretty upset about this, but the form factor of the red one is so much better, its cheaper, magazine style battery, compact - WHATEVER! then i saw more M12 stuff... I'm hosed.

I'm fully DeWalt ecosystem but the Milwaukee M12 stuff fills a different niche. My 3/8 ratchet gets constant use.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What the poo poo is an arbor press typically used for?
Don't have, need or want one but I was just reminded of their existence and never really knew what the gently caress they were for.
Also remember that show that Stacey David was on, either Trucks! or........ the other one after that, they would give away a Dake arbor press to whoever had their ride, or question or whatever the gently caress featured/answered on the show

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
pressing things into or against other things, with less force than a hydraulic press is capable of

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gives you huge mechanical advantage on pressing things together, but still gives you the ability to have tactile feedback.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Quicker than a hydraulic press though. They've fallen out of favor with hydraulic presses being more versatile.

Useful if you're press fitting bearings all day or something.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

meatpimp posted:

Honestly, I disagree, I haven’t touched my short ratchets since I bought long necks. The extra length is almost never an issue, but the extra clearance from the body being further away lets me get it into more places. If I was replacing my tools, I’d go longneck first IMO.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Honestly, I disagree, I haven’t touched my short ratchets since I bought long necks. The extra length is almost never an issue, but the extra clearance from the body being further away lets me get it into more places. If I was replacing my tools, I’d go longneck first IMO.

another tool i'm hunting for.
a 36"+ long neck ratchet on 1/2 drive that's actually decent.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

um excuse me posted:

Gives you huge mechanical advantage on pressing things together, but still gives you the ability to have tactile feedback.

Elviscat posted:

Quicker than a hydraulic press though. They've fallen out of favor with hydraulic presses being more versatile.

those too. they're also lower-maintainance than a hydraulic press, being basically a rack and pinion on its side

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dacheat posted:

another tool i'm hunting for.
a 36"+ long neck ratchet on 1/2 drive that's actually decent.

Hmmm, if one exists it would probably be Koken.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Just bought a Sparc dual output regulator for my Argon tank. So that I can purge and run my tig welder at the same time. This is so much better then having to get a second tank and regulator for purging.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Sounds like bad brushes or commutator. Definitely warranty it but if this happens to older tools it's like 6 bucks on ereplacementparts and 15 minutes to fix it as long as you stop using it when the issues start, otherwise you turbofuck the commutator with all the arcing and it'll never be right.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Valt posted:

Just bought a Sparc dual output regulator for my Argon tank. So that I can purge and run my tig welder at the same time. This is so much better then having to get a second tank and regulator for purging.

I bought the flame tech from Jody@Welding Tips and Tricks. Had to buy a larger bottle. lol

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

StormDrain posted:

No, I got the stubby ratchet

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HSX1TTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- I really didn't want to change brands, I really love my makita stuff, but the fact that their comparable also takes a different battery and charger as well kinda made up my mind to just buy the one I want -

this is the comparable:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RW01R...951&s=hi&sr=1-1

round tool, square, backwards battery - it just looks kinda hokey - Once again Project Farm kinda made up my mind for me

I see myself packing this thing when going racing or just on a longer trip with an old car -

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Elviscat posted:

This, but also because they're hand powered there's significantly less safety equipment required to have them on the manufacturing lines I'm familiar with. The (important) safety overhead for a hydraulic tool makes an arbor press a much quicker thing to get moving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Sounds like bad brushes or commutator. Definitely warranty it but if this happens to older tools it's like 6 bucks on ereplacementparts and 15 minutes to fix it as long as you stop using it when the issues start, otherwise you turbofuck the commutator with all the arcing and it'll never be right.

Brushless. :toot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Brushless. :toot:

:wtf:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I took the blade off and blew everything out today. No change. Sounds like / seems like there's a physical gear problem inside. Sometimes it grinds on startup, sometimes it's perfectly fine, sometimes it chugs. I'm thinking the chugging is when it hits the bad gear spot on startup... who knows.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've been thinking about off season wheel and tire storage. I have two vehicles with second sets of wheels and tires. The GMC has 275/55 r20s, which are a bit heavy to lift high. The Escape has like 230s on 16s, which aren't so bad. I also keep them in the backyard since my garage is full. I'm working on a shed and I'd like to have a well planned solution for storage inside.

My initial thought was a pair of plywood platforms like pallets I can take a full stack of tires with my dolly back and forth. That helps extend the bottom plate of the dolly so I can actually use it. Very simple, but it might be too heavy to move all four across rough terrain. The pathway is lumpy grass turf. I currently use my wheelbarrow and do two at a time since they're too big for the wheelbarrow.

I think the two columns of tires is acceptable, and they'll snug into the low side of my shed.

It's tough to find much already made that I can't do cheaper and specific to my application. Its like four trips a year so I'm not too particular.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Has anyone tried any of these diy sandblaster kits?

I have several 500gal oil tanks available to turn into a blasting cabinet or anything else I could use them for. As far as I can tell I'd only be out the cost of the kit and my time plus it would be huge compared to one of those HF cabinets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

I took the blade off and blew everything out today. No change. Sounds like / seems like there's a physical gear problem inside. Sometimes it grinds on startup, sometimes it's perfectly fine, sometimes it chugs. I'm thinking the chugging is when it hits the bad gear spot on startup... who knows.

dang, well at least you can warranty it. i have the same saw and absolutely love it (but i dont use it that often). it's much better than the silly m12 5.25 that i had prior.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Milwaukee's warranty process is seriously easy to deal with. Hardest part will be finding a box to ship it back in.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003

SpeedFreek posted:

Has anyone tried any of these diy sandblaster kits?

I have several 500gal oil tanks available to turn into a blasting cabinet or anything else I could use them for. As far as I can tell I'd only be out the cost of the kit and my time plus it would be huge compared to one of those HF cabinets.

Best way to get a sandblasting cabinet, is to take on a job that will pay for it. They do take up a bunch of shop space and all the small details can chew up a lot of time. gloves, media trap, light fixture, door/hinge seals. The vacuum filtration is totally worth it and a big component to maintain. And a compressor, and on and on.

Making your own, high pressure washing cabinet, that would be cool. Pressure washer hose sprayer jets are cheap. Rotating table, tankless/or old water heater and a pump, set a timer and automate.

edit:
Something like this ancient thread https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/heating-my-home-made-dish-i-mean-parts-washer.1030309/page-3
Making something bigger than used dishwashers.

Slick fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 26, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are normal screwdriver bits some sort of standard imperial socket size? I want to use the hex bit in my ratchet because allen wrenches are a gently caress, but the metric sockets don't fit - one's too small, the next size is too large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

mobby_6kl posted:

Are normal screwdriver bits some sort of standard imperial socket size? I want to use the hex bit in my ratchet because allen wrenches are a gently caress, but the metric sockets don't fit - one's too small, the next size is too large.

Try a 1/4" socket