Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I consider the pomp and circumstance of Catholic ritual to be its greatest strength. I, personally, have known a few agnostics who've full-on converted to Catholicism because of the appeal of the rituals. I think if Catholic leadership leaned into its aesthetic, it could attract a lot of Millennials/ Gen Z who're looking to slot into that spiritual infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I consider the pomp and circumstance of Catholic ritual to be its greatest strength. I, personally, have known a few agnostics who've full-on converted to Catholicism because of the appeal of the rituals. I think if Catholic leadership leaned into its aesthetic, it could attract a lot of Millennials/ Gen Z who're looking to slot into that spiritual infrastructure.

I don't think that's likely until the Church stops having another round of 'we found more documentation of the abuse clergy was doing that you've been hiding' every six months. That's pretty much the biggest thing young people these days not raised Catholic know about the Church.

Edit: Also, you know, being doctrinally homophobic, transphobic, and opposed to the bodily autonomy of women.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 26, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think that's likely until the Church stops having another round of 'we found more documentation of the abuse clergy was doing that you've been hiding' every six months. That's pretty much the biggest thing young people these days not raised Catholic know about the Church.

Edit: Also, you know, being doctrinally homophobic, transphobic, and opposed to the bodily autonomy of women.

At least from the liberal Protestant communities I'm in, not letting women into the priesthood and giving them equal spiritual status with men is another sticking point. I have one friend at work who was raised Catholic, and says she converted to Methodism specifically because it was a faith that said God loves her the same as he loves any man.

https://i.imgur.com/p7tDhau.mp4

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I think you're right about the attraction potential, and I also think that experiencing the Church's rituals sincerely and regularly really could produce sincere conversion- someone who's open to experiencing numinous experiences, who experiences them in a Catholic context, is likely to find it easier to make the choice to accept the Church's teachings. (Really, to accept the Church's teaching authority, more than the teachings specifically.)

But many, many people my generation and younger (I'm an older Millennial) will find a lot of things the Church teaches to be very hard to accept, and that's hard for a potential convert, because converts don't often see how hard cradle Catholics find it. (Or how much cradle Catholics just ignore teachings they find hard, whether that's "capital punishment is unnecessary to protect a community and is in practice discriminatory, unjust, and cruel besides, so Catholics must not support it," "marriage is only possible between a man and a woman," or "slaughtering a goat and examining its entrails for omens is unacceptable in every circumstance.") It also upsets some people that punching a priest can result in an automatic excommunication, whereas being a slumlord, turning someone away for a vaccine because they're not a legal resident, or denying someone necessary medical treatment do not.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Of course, there's lots of reasons why people SHOULD be uncomfortable with the Catholic Church right now, not least of which are those listed posted above. The contradictory, often hypocritical nature of how some things are considered sins vs others is extremely off-putting to most people who think about it. I don't want to poo poo on religions or religious adherents too much, though, so I'll leave it at that.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

CarpenterWalrus posted:

This is driving a great deal of the Latin Mass trend in the Catholic Church.

Liquid Communism posted:

Public penance for bishops please.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

Counterpoint to that is that the mainline protestant churches have fully embraced all of that and are still having declining attendance numbers.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Counterpoint to that is that the mainline protestant churches have fully embraced all of that and are still having declining attendance numbers.

But not with extravagant ritual, and definitely not in a liturgical language, so it's possible they could poach potential converts with high-church positions on sacraments, liturgy, and the like. Have a coffee shop in your church atrium because everyone's hungry after fasting three hours! Sell incense sticks 'guaranteed' to make your home altar smell like church!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I think this is a rare case where everyone is correct: it would probably be a point of unique and meaningful appeal for the Catholic Church to center its beautiful ritual and music in presenting itself to younger folk, AND it would probably not arrest an overall decline in church attendance.

Examining underlying factors on why the evangelical/shithead churches appear to have thrived, while other churches are holding steady or declining in attendance, is an interesting potential project and may have already been done in some cases. I would imagine it has more to do with using modern sales techniques plus a certain, shall we say, doctrinal flexibility, than with the density or intensity of their scandals and human rights abuses, though.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking personally I ain't gonna lie the rituals and grandeur are a notable reason why I'm building off childhood interaction with Catholicism as an adult. And the fairly cool seeming Pope, and the concept of Catholicism that merges with my politics via liberation theology.

So thanks for the pointer to that church in SF. It's gonna be a bear for me to attend that on the regular but for getting connected to communities that aren't arch-conservative that looks like just what I wanted.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I found this FAQ and it claims the official position of the Catholic Church is that it won't confirm whether anyone specific is in Hell. How long has this been the position of the church?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

White Coke posted:

I found this FAQ and it claims the official position of the Catholic Church is that it won't confirm whether anyone specific is in Hell. How long has this been the position of the church?

Always as far as I know.

The Church will say when people are in Heaven (when people are declared saints) but who knows who is in hell.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was actually involved in a related discussion on Facebook today, about whether there's such a thing as unforgivable sin. I used the example of Judas and pointed out that one of the gospels says Judas repented, and it's within what we know of Jesus's character to believe that he would forgive Judas. Does this mean Judas is in heaven, or is what he did unforgivable despite repentence?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Nothing is unforgivable, except "sin against the Holy Spirit". It's debatable what that means, but given that repentance itself is a sign of Holy Spirit working with and within us, it's kinda academical question anyway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Judas kind of distills down the entire predestination narrative in a sense, doesn't he? Isn't he a saint in the Coptic canon or something like that?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SuperKlaus posted:

Speaking personally I ain't gonna lie the rituals and grandeur are a notable reason why I'm building off childhood interaction with Catholicism as an adult. And the fairly cool seeming Pope, and the concept of Catholicism that merges with my politics via liberation theology.

So thanks for the pointer to that church in SF. It's gonna be a bear for me to attend that on the regular but for getting connected to communities that aren't arch-conservative that looks like just what I wanted.

I take the Pope with a grain of salt. He uses the language of social justice, but is doctrinaire, and the hierarchy in the Vatican that interprets his statements into policy is arch conservative to a fault.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was actually involved in a related discussion on Facebook today, about whether there's such a thing as unforgivable sin. I used the example of Judas and pointed out that one of the gospels says Judas repented, and it's within what we know of Jesus's character to believe that he would forgive Judas. Does this mean Judas is in heaven, or is what he did unforgivable despite repentence?

Judas' betrayal was necessary. He repented. I have no problem with him going straight to Heaven. I'm more interested in the Bad Robber crucified next to Jesus. When Jesus clearly say to the Good Robber that they will go to Heaven together, what happened to the Bad Robber?

My headcanon is Jesus and GR on their way to Heaven. Jesus turns around and shouts "Hey, BR? Don't you want to come with?" BR finally feels forgiven and loved, able to forgive himself, and all three of them enter Heaven together.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

Judas' betrayal was necessary. He repented. I have no problem with him going straight to Heaven. I'm more interested in the Bad Robber crucified next to Jesus. When Jesus clearly say to the Good Robber that they will go to Heaven together, what happened to the Bad Robber?

My headcanon is Jesus and GR on their way to Heaven. Jesus turns around and shouts "Hey, BR? Don't you want to come with?" BR finally feels forgiven and loved, able to forgive himself, and all three of them enter Heaven together.

Well he does ask Jesus "If thou be the Christ, save thyself and us". So it seems like there could be a door opened there. If he were saved, he surely has paid for his crimes by suffering a bad reputation throughout history.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

I like C. S. Lewis' construct, that the gates of Hell are locked from the inside. It's not a permanent place, but rather a holding cell for people who haven't acknowledged the sovereignty of God. They can leave whenever they like.

Not exactly a Purgatory, because residents only have to admit their own sinfulness and unworthiness to leave. There would be no penance to be paid, for example.

So Heaven is attainable for all, even those who die unrepentant. I don't have to concern myself with who gets in or not, as all can get in if they want to and are willing to meet the conditions.

Beyond that, it's up to God, not me. God can extend his grace of salvation to whomever He wants to, it's no business of mine.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Grappling with whether Judas would be condemned to hell for his role in salvation sent me on my path to universalism.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

I take the Pope with a grain of salt. He uses the language of social justice, but is doctrinaire, and the hierarchy in the Vatican that interprets his statements into policy is arch conservative to a fault.

Well, I'm dipping toes in, anyway, and he looks like a good start for forward progress. Despite being overtly interested in the ritual and so forth I won't be taking the Pope as the ultimate authority :catholic:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hi again religonthread!

[TELL] me about this icon

I assume it is Saint's Michael and...Raphael? I found it last fall in the neighbourhood while walking the dog, and try as I might (posting on my town's lost and found boards on both Facebook and Reddit) I could not find its owner. It's made by a Greek company based on the label on the reverse but a handwritten note on the reverse, in Romanian, suggests it was given to a dear possibly younger person but a aunt or grandmother or whatever, on the event of whatever feasts day or event took place on the Sunday of June 21, 2019. I could find no names, so I will drop it off at the Romanian Orthodox church in town and hope it can either find its way back to the owner (its nice gold leaf after all) or be given to another.

So anyway, the question: what purpose does this icon serve, what is it used for, what do those fine angelic types represent, etc. I'd like to know more about this little thing on my desk.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bilirubin posted:

Hi again religonthread!

[TELL] me about this icon

I assume it is Saint's Michael and...Raphael? I found it last fall in the neighbourhood while walking the dog, and try as I might (posting on my town's lost and found boards on both Facebook and Reddit) I could not find its owner. It's made by a Greek company based on the label on the reverse but a handwritten note on the reverse, in Romanian, suggests it was given to a dear possibly younger person but a aunt or grandmother or whatever, on the event of whatever feasts day or event took place on the Sunday of June 21, 2019. I could find no names, so I will drop it off at the Romanian Orthodox church in town and hope it can either find its way back to the owner (its nice gold leaf after all) or be given to another.

So anyway, the question: what purpose does this icon serve, what is it used for, what do those fine angelic types represent, etc. I'd like to know more about this little thing on my desk.

A quick google suggests that the angel on the left is definitely Michael, who's depicted in some Orthodox traditions with a sword and scroll. It's fascinating to me because I'd associate the scroll with Gabriel. Can't see what the right-hand angel has in his left hand! Raphael has a staff sometimes though. I hope an Orthogoon can shed light, I love angel pictures, even when they're not insane four-faced eyewheels.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nth Doctor posted:

Grappling with whether Judas would be condemned to hell for his role in salvation sent me on my path to universalism.

It is a rather neat answer to the problem of double predestination.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I believe the one on the right is supposed to be Gabriel. I found a more modern one on Google with Gabriel wearing the exact same outfit. He's supposed to be holding a disk, and his name would be over his shoulder, but that's been eroded away.

As for what it's for, I think it's specifically for their shared feast day: the Synaxis of the Holy Archangels.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Messaged HEY GUNS about it:

"Hey Guns” posted:

These are Sts. Michael and Gabriel. They are called hoi hagioi taxiarchoi, “the holy brigadier generals,” because they lead the heavenly armies. Michael is on the left and Gabriel is on the right. Gabriel bears the staff of a Byzantine imperial messenger. Their position in this icon echoes their position on the screen in front of the altar in an Orthodox church, where they’d be painted on the doors. Since the altar faces east Michael is on the door to the north (the malign direction; he is a protector) and Gabriel on the door to the south (from which things come; he’s a messenger).

I grew up culturally orthodox but was functionally lapsed for various reasons, so I just know that we have icons around, but can’t really describe the why exactly.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

crazypeltast52 posted:

I grew up culturally orthodox but was functionally lapsed for various reasons, so I just know that we have icons around, but can’t really describe the why exactly.

Where is Guns? Why isn't he posting more?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

crazypeltast52 posted:

cool info, thanks!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It looks like the Archbishop of New Orleans has come out against the new coronavirus vaccine. Hopefully he will reconsider this position after taking advice from qualified experts.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

That's taking a harder line than the Vatican and the SSPX even. Not going to save lives or souls that way.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Reading the statement, I don't think it absolutely prohibits the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. It strongly advises that you should get the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines instead if at all possible. That's pretty much my plan, given that I have the relative luxury of being both low-risk and able to live a lifestyle that presents very little risk of transmission to others.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Konstantin posted:

It looks like the Archbishop of New Orleans has come out against the new coronavirus vaccine. Hopefully he will reconsider this position after taking advice from qualified experts.

That doesn't make much sense to me, I'd say it's pretty far removed from what they feel is wrongdoing. I'm sure they've received plenty of money over the past ~2000 years that originated in crime, are they going to return that too? Probably not.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Two things surprised me about this article. One, the Archbishop is not anti-vax. That's how I read OP's comment, anyway.

NO Archbishop posted:

“In doing so, we advise that if the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine is available, Catholics should choose to receive either of those vaccines rather than receive the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine because of its extensive use of abortion-derived cell lines.”

Seems reasonable for an Archbishop, considering Catholic teaching.

Second, regarding vaccine production.

Which strikes me as upsetting, but also contradicts common "parts factory" narratives. I don't know how to reconcile Catholic teaching and the above fact, but it's not something "experts" are going to be able to help an Archbishop on.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

quote:

“We maintain that the decision to receive the COVID-19 vaccine remains one of individual conscience in consultation with one’s healthcare provider,” the archdiocese wrote. “In doing so, we advise that if the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine is available, Catholics should choose to receive either of those vaccines rather than receive the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine because of its extensive use of abortion-derived cell lines.”

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Where is Guns? Why isn't he posting more?

He's doing fine, and hangs out on the discords, among them the one for this thread. Come say hi!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You shouldn't join or use discord. It's been funded by tencent a known arm of the chinese communist party.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Every once in a while, I see something that reminds me of how great and good God is. The first artist at work, and countless people spend their entire lives seeking glimpses of the great work He created.

https://i.imgur.com/h8FZYh7.mp4

Beyond my chronic depression and view of faith in that light, this is one of the biggest reasons I believe in God. I cannot see the universe, in all its wonder and complexity, and believe that there was not a hand behind it all. God the creator, artist, and architect. All of science, all of human exploration, is chasing after His fingerprints and striving to understand how He set it all up.

To know the mighty works of God, to comprehend His wisdom and majesty and power; to appreciate, in degree, the wonderful workings of His laws, surely all this must be a pleasing and acceptable mode of worship to the Most High, to whom ignorance cannot be more grateful than knowledge. - Nicolaus Copernicus

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 4, 2021

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I self-identify as a Reformed Protestant, but more due to heritage/cultural inertia than theological grounds (to be honest, I often struggle with some parts of Reformed theology).
I'd appreciate this thread insight on something that's been bugging me: I've been reading James 2 recently, and how do you explain sola fide next to James 2:17 "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!" (and the next verses continue in the same spirit).
I keep thinking about it and I can't find a satisfying answer. So I welcome any and all viewpoints on the subject.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bourricot posted:

I self-identify as a Reformed Protestant, but more due to heritage/cultural inertia than theological grounds (to be honest, I often struggle with some parts of Reformed theology).
I'd appreciate this thread insight on something that's been bugging me: I've been reading James 2 recently, and how do you explain sola fide next to James 2:17 "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!" (and the next verses continue in the same spirit).
I keep thinking about it and I can't find a satisfying answer. So I welcome any and all viewpoints on the subject.

In general isn't an important part of most interpretations of Sola Fide that having actual faith will lead to you trying to be righteous anyway? Which would harmonize just fine with that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bourricot posted:

Faith is not an academic exercise that takes place inside your head. Faith should inspire you to love other people and help them get through life. Without that, your faith is pointless.